Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed re aggressive bitch

Options
  • 10-05-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

There is a boxer bitch on our estate who is someones pet but is left out to wander from time to time with no collar/ID. I came across this bitch a couple of times but left well alone as shes very nervy, she also looks like she had pups recently. Anytime I saw her she just ran away from my direction, if I had dog with me or not. Theres always kids out down by the area she roams around and they seem unfazed by her so I didnt give her a second thought, presumed she was nervous but not a problem.

My husband was walking our dog (also a boxer) yesterday and came across her, away from the estate. He had our dog on the lead, recognised the bitch but thought nothing of it, expecting her to run away. This time however she came at our dog, my husband ignored her and our dog looked but didnt bark so my husband walked on expecting her to go away.

She followed him a good 20 mins down the road, snarling at our dog and of course after a bit our dog went for her too, so my husband tried to get her away and she snarled at him so he had to back off. People around presumed it was his dog and were shouting at him to get her away from them.

Eventually he got home and was going mad but were unsure about what to do. I thought about finding out who owns her and saying it to them but if the dog is so nervous and shes left to roam I have a feeling theyre not the nicest of characters and wont care either way.

Does anyone have any advice on what we should do - Im particularly worried about this as I walk our dog most mornings, one hand holding dog the other pushing a buggy (much to our posties amusment!) and Id be worried comming across the bitch again in case she acts up.

As far as I know my options would be to call into owners if I can find them or call dog warden, Im afraid of the last option in case they just take her and put her down, does anyone know if the wardens can talk to the owners and give them a warning about letting her wander?

Also any advice on what to do if she does go for our dog again, I wouldnt be too worried except my husband said she went for him too, and I cant have that if I have a baby with me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

If you are in Dublin North area you can call 838 3236 for the Warden
    I know it sounds like they may put her to sleep but to be fair Ashton make every effort to re-home through rescues the dogs that are save-able.

Long term the poor thing will continue to wander and become pregnant and more unwanted dogs is something none of us need !

It's a good call as far as I am concerned - if she is provoked by kids and is nervous due to her neglect then she may bite .
    On the other hand wandering dogs are a target for cruelty by little scumbags.

I say give the poor animal a chance to be re-homed to someone who will look after her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is no course of action here except contact your local Dog Warden. It is the only fair thing to do for the sake of the dog, other dogs, or children in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

thats what I thought myself but wasnt sure if I would be doing the right thing or not - will give them a call
    thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Jotter wrote:
    thats what I thought myself but wasnt sure if I would be doing the right thing or not - will give them a call
    thanks guys

I would agree to that, but you need to find out for sure if she has puppies.
    Any chance you could talk to the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

OT, but I was sure my boyfriend decided to write a thread about me from that thread title OP!

If you get no luck from the dog warden do your best to spread the word, someone is *bound* to know of a family missing their dog or at least mention it to someone who will.

Bring a stick with you on your walks just in case, obviously I'm in no way acvocating using the stick on the dog but just to warn her off.
    Poor thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

...If you get no luck from the dog warden do your best to spread the word, someone is *bound* to know of a family missing their dog or at least mention it to someone who will...
    Poor thing!
    There is no question of "no luck with the dog warden". The Warden is obliged to act and take the dog if he can't locate the owner.
    JB1 wrote:
    ...you need to find out for sure if she has puppies. Any chance you could talk to the owner?

You have no responsibilty beyond reporting the incident. It can be a big mistake to approach owners directly about errant dogs. Let the warden do his job.

Advertisement