Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great firewall of china

Options
  • 10-05-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Ello folks, I've recently set up a site which offers free hosting to UK/Irish webmasters - or any english speaking webmasters with their own domain ( http://www.sessionireland.com ). I noticed last night that the site - rather, a direct link to the sign up form, was springing up all over chinese message boards. Woke up this morning and noticed a huge chunk of bandwidth gone, and my inbox completly hammered with chinese signups. Of course, with my "we dont accept non-english sites" wrote in english,and posted on the main page, most visitors seem to either dont notice, or simply ignore the warning.

So, the only solution,is to clearly deny any chinese IP in the .htaccess :P
    I dont suppose anyone would have a list of chinese IP addresses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Tellox wrote:
    "we dont accept non-english sites" wrote in english
    Maybe you should write it in Chinese :p

Also, I noticed a typo the T&C...
    a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds.
    The whole then/than thing wrecks my balls tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Werl, you could compile a list of IPs that have connected to you, order them in number of visits per range (e.g. per /24), then look up those ranges in something like domaintools.com and see if you can get larger Chinese ISP ranges to block.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Using the IP to country database from webhosting.info you can enumerate a list pretty easily:

Have a look at:

http://www.brassy.net/files/china-ips.txt

I haven't checked that at all, but that's all of the ranges I could find that are in the ip to country database.

It's possible there are a few IP addresses not picked up from that, but that should be a start anyway.

Phil.

Advertisement