Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello Magnet...Bye Bye NTL/UPC

Options
  • 10-05-2007 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Well I finally did it. Got Magnet Lite up and running on Monday and sent a nice letter to NTL cancelling my tv and broadband <ahem> max (was only using the tv to get the broadband).
    Magnet connection has been rock solid:
    I'm on the 4Mb/512Kb, speedtests are showing 4.2Mb down and 1.1Mb up which is a very nice surprise.
    Phone service is working. I have the Telsey modem connected at the main phone point and all the house extensions run off this. This includes analogue phones AND BOTH Sky+ boxes. Both boxes have completed callbacks to Sky so no issue there.
    Some pings below:
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

Sorry about the overload of information, but this might help some people who, like me, want Magnet but are worried about using Sky multiroom with VOIP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I know a lot of people who will be doing similar.
    Just a quick question.....
    How are torrents, any sign of traffic shaping?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well I'll be moving from NTL to UTV, main reasons for this though are when I move and lI'll be connected to a rural exchange so can only use bit-stream resellers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I recently moved from NTL to Smart. Sadly my line's not the best so I'm not quite getting full speeds (4Mb) but it's still faster than ntl and I'm saving a fortune. So I'm happy :)

NTL offered me two free months if I didn't cancel :eek:

Torrents and DC++ are much improved since moving to Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Torrents are flying (using vuze). No sign of traffic shaping.Very happy at the moment, and I'd have to say that Magnet customer support was excellent when I was setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I recently moved from NTL to Smart. Sadly my line's not the best so I'm not quite getting full speeds (4Mb) but it's still faster than ntl and I'm saving a fortune. So I'm happy :)

NTL offered me two free months if I didn't cancel :eek:

Torrents and DC++ are much improved since moving to Smart.

I'm jumping ship to Smart too. How much per month for the basic package (I assume it includes phone rental still?), and is the process fast? Magnet is pricey, but those up speeds... mmmmm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kernel wrote:
    I'm jumping ship to Smart too. How much per month for the basic package (I assume it includes phone rental still?), and is the process fast? Magnet is pricey, but those up speeds... mmmmm. :)

Including line rental it's €39.99 for 4Mb, add an extra 5 for anytime phone calls. If line is suitable (mine isn't sadly :() you can upgrade to 6Mb for another €5. Switching over was fairly fast for me, about 2 weeks but I've heard of people waiting months :eek: Downside is it's a 12 month contract by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Magnet rocks. Im one of the lucky folks in Donabate on the FTTH..

Im sorry for posting this screenshot, in advance.. : )

Magnet rocks. Im one of the lucky folks in Donabate on the FTTH..

Im sorry for posting this screenshot, in advance.. : )

:eek:

I hate you!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If only smart were still offering the free linerental, I would be there in a shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

it was never really free, it was just included in the price, like it is still, it is simply advertised differently

• Advertisement

Really??? so teh price is still the same?

God the smart website is tereble , it mentions the upgrade to 6MB connection , but does not mention the upspeed you get with that.!!!

Really??? so teh price is still the same?

God the smart website is tereble , it mentions the upgrade to 6MB connection , but does not mention the upspeed you get with that.!!!
    It's 500k I believe.

Hmm that is quite poor, I was hoping it would be better then NTL.

Hmm that is quite poor, I was hoping it would be better then NTL.
    Isn't ntl about the same though? For the 6Mb connection that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i'm on NTL bb Max. i did ping test last nite to boards.ie and if i'm not mistaken the average response time was less than 22ms. will try again tonite and have it posted here together with a download test. btw i'm in IFSC, D1.

Marty

Isn't ntl about the same though? For the 6Mb connection that is?

Yeah it is, but that d/u ratio that NTL provide is crap too. :) lol.

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 26ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

a quick ping to boards^^^^

124761625.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I was onto Smart Sales a few days ago and they said the extra money is for upgraded download. Upload stays at 256. I'lll be happy to be proved wrong.

Do we have FACT on this. Anyone on 6Mb Smart at the moment?

That is very poor if thats the case and it would explain why they have so little info on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are the packages not:
    • 4Mb/256Kb - €39.99
    • 6Mb/512Kb - €44.99
    • 8Mb/512Kb - €49.99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

IrishTLR wrote:
    I was onto Smart Sales a few days ago and they said the extra money is for upgraded download. Upload stays at 256. I'lll be happy to be proved wrong.

Do we have FACT on this. Anyone on 6Mb Smart at the moment?

I'm not on the 6Mb package, but the 8Mb one. I get 512 up.

• Advertisement

Are the packages not:
    • 4Mb/256Kb - €39.99
    • 6Mb/512Kb - €44.99
    • 8Mb/512Kb - €49.99

They used to be ther packages. But since their troubles they have reorganised many things in their company. That's why I rang them about it last week. I wanted to check what their max upload is. Again, I was quoted 256Kb.

Things might be different for business accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Nope, on the 8Mb package it is 512Kb for residential as I have it

Yeah it's 512 up but they can't guarantee it which is why they're not quoting it over the phone.

Nope, on the 8Mb package it is 512Kb for residential as I have it

Yes but as far as I can tell , they no longer offer that service anymore ^Mb seems to be their best reidential download speed now. So they may very well have lowered the upspeed of their new packages, also this would turn off torrent users so maybe this a deliberate ploy to try and turn away any torrent users from their BB so that their networks are not crippled.

Yes but as far as I can tell , they no longer offer that service anymore ^Mb seems to be their best reidential download speed now. So they may very well have lowered the upspeed of their new packages, also this would turn off torrent users so maybe this a deliberate ploy to try and turn away any torrent users from their BB so that their networks are not crippled.

I was just going to say that. To the 8Mb res customers. Have you ordered that conection after the eircom / Smart troubles, or before. If before, it's semi-irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Can you get Manget broadband on it's own, without the phone or tv?

Eg the 4/8Meg on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

do you still need to change your phone no. to switch to smart?

pjproby wrote:
    do you still need to change your phone no. to switch to smart?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jonnybax

Magnet really do seem like the future of broadband to be honest.

We intended on moving to them but unfortunately there were delays and more delays for them to reach our area. I have relatives in Northern Ireland, and when I told them that I have a 3mb package but get 1.8 or so mb usually, they laughed.

It seems up there, what's advertised is what they get, unlike here.

Digiweb have been pretty good though, aside from the slower than advertised speed, I haven't had many problems.

It'll be Magnet when our sub expires though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

i agree magnet does rock. and the staff and company are definately the best out of all out providers, especially the business section, they really came through on a number of issues we have been having with some of our business customers, i'd reccomend them to anyone

Advertisement