Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls Aloud rate themselves - sunday paper mag

• 10-05-2007 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

Did anyone else read the two page spread on Girls Aloud in one of the Sunday paper 'celeb' free mags last Sunday? It was part of shampoo promotion thing and had a short interview with all of them, including rating their looks out of 10, giving their weight and dress size and some commentary on themselves.

I think there was three 4/10's, a 5/10 and a 6/10. They all basically said they were in a terrible state if they didn't have their hair and make-up done, all had to diet constantly as they were prone to getting 'so fat'. One said she'd consider plastic surgery - not for her but for her boyfriend's sake.

It was just mind-blowing to let these 5 girls (who plenty of younger girls think are stunning and want to be like them) say they think they're in bits, need to diet and be styled professionally just to make it to 5/10 on the looks dept. I'm glad I'm not 15 anymore, I'd lock myself in a dark room with a paper bag over my head.

Who even comissioned such a depressing article!??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lol at female insecurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I'm sure most of them don't really think that but if anyone asked you to rate yourself you'd never be too generous now would you? You'd sound like a right prat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

It has always been the case that really good looking people play down their looks - I don't know what kind of satisfaction they get out of it but it happens all the time. Naomi Campbell hates her big toe etc etc.

It is true that if they said they were anything from 7/10 upwards everyone would be calling them vain bitches and arrogant cows....

...so the question is catch 22 and one to which, 99% of the time, you won't get a true reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Monkey Alan

I give 4 of them 10 and the ginger -1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I give 4 of them 10 and the ginger -1.

I definitely concur. The girls are relatively good looking, but the red haired one is an absolutely dog, and that's even with the make up on. I remember I saw a picture of her once in a celeb magazine minus the slap on and I nearly retched. Not that I'd put anyone down for just being unattractive, but it genuinely shocks me that the red haired one is constantly touted as some kind of a beautiful minx/rolemodel....

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    Not that I'd put anyone down for just being unattractive...

..and backtrack a couple of lines....
    HavoK wrote:
    ...but the red haired one is an absolutely dog...

Mmmmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Clearly missing out on my point there however, that she is constantly portrayed in the media as some sort of pinnacle of beauty....hence my comment in relation to that very point.

HavoK wrote:
    Clearly missing out on my point there however, that she is constantly portrayed in the media as some sort of pinnacle of beauty....hence my comment in relation to that very point.

No, your point is very clear. You think that for someone who is touted as a beauty, she doesn't exactly fulfil the criteria right?

So why say you wouldn't put anyone down for being unattractive?? By calling her a "dog" and saying how she makes you vomit without make up on is doing just that, irrespective of the point you're making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

HavoK wrote:

About it being in the eye of the beholder, I'd have the ginger before any of the blonde ones. She is not classically beautiful, but she is "different" and attractive for that. The Cole girl and the other blonde are boringly conformist - if you know what I mean. Nadine OTOH is special looking in any company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol at female insecurity.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Did anyone else read the two page spread on Girls Aloud in one of the Sunday paper 'celeb' free mags last Sunday? It was part of shampoo promotion thing and had a short interview with all of them, including rating their looks out of 10, giving their weight and dress size and some commentary on themselves.

I think there was three 4/10's, a 5/10 and a 6/10. They all basically said they were in a terrible state if they didn't have their hair and make-up done, all had to diet constantly as they were prone to getting 'so fat'. One said she'd consider plastic surgery - not for her but for her boyfriend's sake.

It was just mind-blowing to let these 5 girls (who plenty of younger girls think are stunning and want to be like them) say they think they're in bits, need to diet and be styled professionally just to make it to 5/10 on the looks dept. I'm glad I'm not 15 anymore, I'd lock myself in a dark room with a paper bag over my head.

Who even comissioned such a depressing article!??

Most lookers I know would rate themselves poorly.

Anyway, theres something kunty about girls who would give themselves a 10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Maybe I worded my orig post wrong - I agree, anyone giving themselves a 10 comes across cocky at best.

It was the general self-bashing about dieting/weight/plastic surgery too that all added up to a horrible pessimistic article for anyone to read. It wasn't modesty it was practically self-loathing. I can't see the point in such an article, especially since it was part of shampoo promotion. Especially adding in weight and dress size - what's that got to do what shampoo you use, unless you're going to eat it ;)

Next headline: 'Why I'm crap and ugly' by Kylie Minogue/Kelly Brook/Beyonce /whoever etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Well, without make-up most celebs are ugly....well, not ugly...I would still say they're beatuiful (especially the ones in Girls Aloud) but I'd say they're just normal without their make-up. there's a huge difference though when they're not wearing make-up and I think it's good tht they're being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I like the blonde. The Irish one is ok. Don't rate the others at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Maybe I worded my orig post wrong - I agree, anyone giving themselves a 10 comes across cocky at best.

It was the general self-bashing about dieting/weight/plastic surgery too that all added up to a horrible pessimistic article for anyone to read. It wasn't modesty it was practically self-loathing. I can't see the point in such an article, especially since it was part of shampoo promotion. Especially adding in weight and dress size - what's that got to do what shampoo you use, unless you're going to eat it wink.gif

Next headline: 'Why I'm crap and ugly' by Kylie Minogue/Kelly Brook/Beyonce /whoever etc.

Well I’d rate myself a 9 based on how happy I am with the way I look, but Id give myself a two or three If I’m rating myself on what others think :P From the first post I thought this was going to be a discussion on how celebrity are ruining adolescents by making them think they should be size zero stunners with make up caked on their faces. But instead it turned into people saying which members of girls aloud are dogs, (and that’s a quote)
    Is it the celebrity’s fault for making little girls self-conscious or anorexic? Or is it the regular people who constantly scrutinise and judge the celebrity’s with magazines dedicated to who’s too fat and who’s too thin?
    Im not coming back to the celbrity forum again! Rant over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Just to follow up, two letters of complaint about the same Girls Aloud article in this weekend's edition of this mag, basically saying it was sad to hear these girls as role models (for some) slagging themselves off talking about skipping meals and saying they'd get plastic surgery for other people.

Advertisement