Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Order have split

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

I know, I know - not the first time there have been cracks, but Hooky is insisting that it's definitely splitsville. Back in 1993, they all apparently despised each other and it looked like they were going to split, but a split was never officially announced. I think it's fair to say that I was one of their biggest fans at the time and I was watching the progress of the individual members like a hawk. Never did they say they had split - just stuff along the lines of "we may not work together again as New Order". Five years later, they had all apparently kissed and made up, they recorded a track for The Beach soundtrack and they played Glastonbury. Then they brought out albums in 2001 and 2005, which, in my opinion, were fairly weak. I don't think they're the force they once were (the eighties were their glory years and they never matched them, apart from occasional flashes like the single Crystal and only some of the tracks on Republic), but I can't help but be gutted because it looks like this really is the end of the road for one of the most influential groups of all time. :(

http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/28244

True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Blue Monday, Everything's Gone Green, Ceremony, Dream Attack (off Technique), most of the album Lowlife, Paradise (off Brotherhood) - none of these will ever cease to astound me. And I've been listening to them for many years now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Dudess wrote:
    but I can't help but be gutted because it looks like this really is the end of the road for one of the most influential groups of all time. :(

Agreed, this is a sad day for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

One of my favourite groups ever. Sick that I never saw them in concert and certainly won't see them now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sad day, I'm glad I got to see them play before they packed it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dudess wrote:
    I know, I know - not the first time there have been cracks, but Hooky is insisting that it's definitely splitsville. Back in 1993, they all apparently despised each other and it looked like they were going to split, but a split was never officially announced. I think it's fair to say that I was one of their biggest fans at the time and I was watching the progress of the individual members like a hawk. Never did they say they had split - just stuff along the lines of "we may not work together again as New Order". Five years later, they had all apparently kissed and made up, they recorded a track for The Beach soundtrack and they played Glastonbury. Then they brought out albums in 2001 and 2005, which, in my opinion, were fairly weak. I don't think they're the force they once were (the eighties were their glory years and they never matched them, apart from occasional flashes like the single Crystal and only some of the tracks on Republic), but I can't help but be gutted because it looks like this really is the end of the road for one of the most influential groups of all time. :(

http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/28244

True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Blue Monday, Everything's Gone Green, Ceremony, Dream Attack (off Technique), most of the album Lowlife, Paradise (off Brotherhood) - none of these will ever cease to astound me. And I've been listening to them for many years now.

The Joy went out of this band a very long time ago. The guys should have known better and as for the recent rubbish well best forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Sad to hear about this too....I would have dearly loved to have seen them perform live. :(

Hooky's Myspace blog entry:
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007
    life goes on!
    Category: Life
    well here we go again another action packed week.
    i suppose it was the interview with clint boon that started it all off hed asked me for a few words on perry farrells satellite party single dogstar [which he thought was great] so i went on and lo and behold mentioned the N>O> split so i suppose because it was me sayin it it was out at last. im relieved really hated carryin on as normal with an awful secret so lets move on shall we? played the openin of rios in leeds on friday great crowd and considerin theyd been through 5 local bands already had an amazin resilience/ some kid came up and gave me a hug and said "sorry to hear about new order hooky" i was really touched its like your budgie dyin! great drive back [dont tell the rozzers] 47mins beat that!
    up nice and early friday thanks to my daughters friends whod had a sleepover om friday too. im convinced there all tryin to do me in? nice day and then off to belfast the empire was a great venue but it was really quiet me or them? you tell me! but i enjoyed it and from what i could tell so did they. thanks to both promoters for two top nites your too good to me!
    MONDAY BROUGHT ME BACK TO PARR ST IN LIVERPOOL for my session with the complete stone roses really sad the way parr street has gone down man there are no studios in the north of england yet weve got all the bands! the hotel owners were clearin out the other rooms throwin loads of stuff away in the skip and me roger and andrea[engineer thanks love ] were takin it all out.! shame! i was in good company as the boys had been giggin and were a bit blurry eyed but it went well sounds good so thanks lads magoo nelly scotty and andy the lambs were as mad as usual!
    Im home now gettin ready for brazil so here we go! if anyone sees mani can they ask him if hes done his wish list for his japanese madchester cd? cos i cant get hold of him. come to that does anyone know where andy rourke is? im sure hes in brazil too. am djin at cannes at a beach party before the premiere of control so thatll be interestin everyone ll be pissed and pissin all through the film thatll drive me mad! were all goin team handed so will be a little strange! were in different hotels tho so probably for the best eh?
    demo corner/............ from japan OZWANI liked it but thought it needed to hav somethin else to make it more distinctiv ........vocal work ? did sound a bit like a lot of other things.
    demo corner/ 2..........BROKEN LITTLE SISTER this was great trippy electronic oasisy really good keep goiun three top tracks 4 in fact! keep me informed could do with a good production but couyldnt we all.
    freebass on track met the singing candidate gonna try a couple of traks with him next week fingers crosses. so there you go..one last thing as a parent ive had my heartt broken this week so pray for madeline too please. be careful out there hookyx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The Joy went out of this band a very long time ago. The guys should have known better and as for the recent rubbish well best forgotten.

Yep, tis true. Really enjoyed reading Peter Hook's blog. He writes like a 14-year-old! Thankfully I got to see them live but it was only the once and it was Lansdowne Road in 2002 when they supported Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Bad idea. Most of the audience didn't know who they were or didn't appreciate them. They got a very bad reaction, which ruined the whole gig. The only time they played Ireland before that was 1993 - I adored them at the time but was only 15. Being a New Order fan at my age (29) is quite a lonely experience! Most of their hardcore fans are a good bit older then me - they were actually "there" for New Order in the eighties. And the new generation of fans (introduced to them via the likes of The Killers etc) - well, I suppose some of them are around the same age as me, but a lot of them are a fair bit younger. When I became a fan of them as a teenager (early nineties), I was very much on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've only ever had the misfortune to see them 'live' in recordings. Dire stuff! A band, certainly in it's latter days, that should have stayed in the studio or released a series of 'best of's' and 'digitally remastered' CD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thankfully I got to see them live but it was only the once and it was Lansdowne Road in 2002 when they supported Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Bad idea.
    I was at the same gig and I agree, it was a shíte gig.

But I saw them at Electric Picnic last year and I thought they were class. Everyone in the place was dancing, including the staff in the chipper vans half a mile away. I'm glad I saw them, sad to hear people won't have the opportunity to do so again.

Yeah, they were supposed to have been superb at ****** in 2005 and Electric Picnic in 2006. I couldn't go to either due to work commitments. Gutting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

They've been treading water for a long time. I think it's good that they stop. I love REM from 1980-95 but jesus I wish they would stop. Ever since Bill Berry left they have been awful. New Order will reunite again in five years for a few gigs, as every band does.

I think New Order have fans spread over a range of ages. I'm 24 and know a good few people my age that like them a lot, and have been this way since they were about 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really enjoyed the Landsdowne gig precisely because the crowd were *****. It felt like the band were deliberately drawing out some of the songs to piss the crowd off which suited me fine as I was only there for New Order. That being said, the EP performance was miles ahead, cracking show.

Sad to see them gone, didn't like the last album but I thought some of the songs on Get Ready were brilliant.

John wrote:
    I was only there for New Order

Yeah, me too. The RHCP seriously suck ass. But I thought the audience's lack of appreciation and recognition made the atmosphere a little frosty. I thought Hooky was going to lose it with some of them.
    No, I didn't like that at all.
    I'd love to know what "terrible secret" Hooky was talking about when he announced the split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

He wrote (Peter Hook): "I suppose it was the interview with Clint Boon that started it all off. He'd asked me for a few words on Perry Farrell's Satellite Party single... so I went on and lo and behold mentioned the N.O (New Order) split.''

"So I suppose because it was me saying it, it was out at last. I'm relieved really. (I) hated carrying on as normal with an awful secret so let's move on shall we?"

The awful secret seems to refer to them not putting out that they had split into the open.

Ah, I see. Although the band's spokeswoman has since gone on the record as saying that it's the first the other members have heard about any split. And they're all going to Cannes for the premiere of Control apparently.:confused:

Advertisement