Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mice problem: rentokil?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of mice in the house I rent out. I laid poison and traps in the bedrooms and attic last night but droppings have since been found on a pillow. What would rentokil do if I got them in and how much would they cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A pest control company will most likely put down poison and charge you around €120 for the pleasure.

There have been a few posts here regarding mice here is one which may be of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

thanks...the search function is crap these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I wouldn't bother with a pest control company, as was said they will just charge you big money with no guarentees.Continue with the traps, poisen will kill them but they are laible to die anywhere, could get smelly. If you have an idea where the are coming from, ie, holes around skirting, pipes, boiler etc you could try blocking the holes. It's not a perfect solution, it just makes it harder for them to have a free run around the house, hopefully encouraging them to move elsewhere.

the two poison tray in attic and one in hotpress were disturbed but the other two trays (in bedrooms) and 5 traps were not touched as of last night. The poison will hopefully do the trick and if they die in the attic I presume the smell won't be too bad. The rentokil guy said they wouldn't block the holes until after they infestation is gone which I presume means they may leave the premises to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

After they eat poison they will go mad for water, best not to block holes and let them out to find some before they expire.

Trapwise forget bacon or cheese... melt down some cooking CHOCOLATE and pour unto the trap trigger mechanism... leave to set and you are good to go... they will go mad for it...

Oh yeah... a word of advise in general... if you purchase one of those ready filled nut bags for the birds... hang it out... and don't leave it lying around your garage all winter.... bad things will happen !!!! ;)

baud.

• Advertisement

They have taken the bait from three of the traps twice without even setting them off. Bloody cheap woodies traps...grrh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

when you set the mouse trap, just have the spring part that comes down on his head held ever so slightly by the arm. so if the bottom flap is barely even touched, it will go off! obviously be careful it doesn't take your fingers off when setting it. i found this out!
    never heard of that melted chocolate one before;must try it! the joys of living in an old stone cottage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

just a thought , how do you feel about cats ( cos they bloody hate mice).
    Failing that what about one of those sonic deterent thingys that send out a high pitched squeal . A friend of mine swears by the one he got and the whole house is mouse free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

A word of advice if you are using poison. Some of the poisons drive mice and rats mad with thirst, so make sure they can't get into your water tank. The upside of this is that they will go outside in search of water and hopefully pop their clogs out there rather than behind your skirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

there is nothing wrong with Woodies traps...but I have found that the end of the bar that holds the trap open, tends to have a little sharp point on it that prevents you being able to set the traps on a hair trigger.

Get a small file and file it off and you will notice a big difference.

You can then set it very sensitive. I found the mice were able to take the bait and the trap wouldn't release because of this little sharp point. Its caused by the tool they are using to cut the copper bar.

Chocolate is great....especially nutella

• Advertisement

Had a look last night to reset the traps and there were two of the blighters dead from the poison! Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CrazeUK

Hey I bought the mousetraps from wilkinsons, thei rreusable and made from plastic. I think they are made by rentokill. In one week i managed to get about 5 mice. That was that for the year. (I used to live ina 6 bedroom house alone).

Anyways now my fam have moved into that house. And the mice are RIFE. They come from dirty neighbours house.

My sister has actually resorted to leaving potatoes low down so the mice will stay in the kitchen.. oh and they have become fearless!
    lol.

On that note i am considering one of those electronic mouse traps, that zap em? any good?

By the way, peanut butter in a bit of foil works a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i have also heard that you can now buy sticky mats to put around the house.
    the mouse runs onto the mat and gets stuck. thing is, you'll hear them screaming a mile away but on a plus side, you get to kill them!!! :D suppose u would need a spade or something to cut their little mousey heads off!

not sure where you can get them but will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

We had a failry serious infestation 2 years ago, we caught one a day on average over a good few weeks.

When the weather was nice, i went out armed with some cement, a trowel and a ladder and I filled up every little gap and crack I could find on the outside of the house. I was regimental about it. And we have not had a mouse since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'old fashioned' wooden traps are the best - with peanut butter - and they are cheap so if you are really squeamish you just throw out trap and all. (Tho they are not difficult to empty. ) Don't expect a cat to be of any use, they will bring in mice as presents for you, but will snooze peacefully as mouse does clogdance round them in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

Have found the plug-in ultrasound deterant very good, Aldi has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I bought a book "1001 uses for everyday Things" or some such name. Around our house we are pestered by foxes and this book suggested using moth balls in the garden and also in the house to keep pests (mice, rats, dogs....) away.

An aunt gave me a load of mothballs and I laid them in the garden and in a few places around the house (out of reach of children). I also hung some from the rafters in the shed where there was a mouse problem.

And yes, it did work. The foxes avoid our garden as does the neighbours dog. There has not been any evidence for a long time of mice in the shed.

My only problem is that I cannot find anywhere that sells moth balls. If anyone knows where I could more could they let me know please? I want more for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Dummy wrote:
    My only problem is that I cannot find anywhere that sells moth balls. If anyone knows where I could more could they let me know please? I want more for the winter.

lots on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pat R

Traps and poisons are all very good for getting rid of mice. Place the poison traps on the ground by walls and doorways. rats and mice generally run along by skirting boards at night because they are mortally afraid of people.
    Seal up holes where mice or rats can get inside with a sealer from a hardware shop.
    Sometimes poisons are very effective and cause the rodent to die in the house and can cause a stink. it is best to have a fair idea of where the nest is before you kill all the rodents and remove it after you are sure all rats and mice are dead.
    hope this has been of some help.
    P

Advertisement