Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa

Options
  • 10-05-2007 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

WHAT is this poem about? I was either zoned out or was absent when we covered this in class, which was only once, my teacher doesn't seem to be pushing it too much. Anyway I'd be grateful if you could sum it up for me until I go and beg him for notes on Monday. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Island = good
    City = bad

In a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Ok, so the long and short of is this: Máirtín Ó Direáin was born on the one of the Aran islands, he then heads to Dublin to work but he feels alone and the title means I will get relief, so he's there in Dublin and he is imagining a sort of quick trip home to the island where he would walk on the beach morning to night, Monday to satuday, among his people, thats the gist of the first verse.

Second verse: Once again, I will get reliefl from a time at home among my people, away from heartbreak. mental worry or turmoil, loneliness and the unfriendly talk of the Dubs, west home. (on island)

The most important thing to remember about faoiseamh is the changing rhythm of the poem and the feeling of loneliness and longing he evokes, also the contrast between the island and the city.

Pretty handy poem to be honest, not a whole pile to remember.
    Hope this helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Also the second verse uses friotal garbh agus gutaí leathan (harsh-sounding language and broad vowels to emphasise how ****ty the city is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

Go on about the contrast a lot, it's the most important poetic technique. Contrast between the sybolism. For example the island symbolises an idyllic, perfect world where there is peace and the city is a symbol of alienation (comhthioch) and inhospitablility(I don't know if that's a word but in irish it's doicheallach) Talk about the repetition in the poem as well. It emphasises how depressed and lonely he is in the city and how he longs for the welcoming nice people of the island. It's actually quite an easy poem. I find "Jack" much worse, not that it's hard to understand. My problem with it is that I can't find any proper poetic techiques to waffle on about and I never can write a long enough answer on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's a shíte poem to be honest.

A1 answer if I were correcting:
    "Is Ráiméis é chun an fhírinne a rá. Ráiméis cheart scríofa ag seanfhear nach bhfuil aon rud níos fearr le déanamh aige ná tabhairt amach faoin gcathair. Ba cheart do Mháirtín Ó Dhíreán dul go dtí a oiléan, gur grá leis chomh mór sin, agus féintruailliú a dhéanamh ansin gan scríobh faoi, mar is cuma le gach éinne. Seandaoine ón tuath = an caillz0rZ"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's a shíte poem to be honest.

A1 answer if I were correcting:
    "Is Ráiméis é chun an fhírinne a rá. Ráiméis cheart scríofa ag seanfhear nach bhfuil aon rud níos fearr le déanamh aige ná tabhairt amach faoin gcathair. Ba cheart do Mháirtín Ó Dhíreán dul go dtí a oiléan, gur grá leis chomh mór sin, agus féintruailliú a dhéanamh ansin gan scríobh faoi, mar is cuma le gach éinne. Seandaoine ón tuath = an caillz0rZ"

How unfortunate you're not correcting.
    I don't like Jack that much either though. "oh, he looked so beautiful in the light..." yes, thankyou, goodbye.
    Faoiseamh's okay though, its easy to understand the sentiments in it, and go on about uaigneas and grá an file dá áit duchais (that make sense?) When talking about his native place, the language is all flowing, then when talking about the city, it's all harsh and gritty. Use 'uaim' for alliteration, "chrá chroí..." etc.

Advertisement