Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help re-activating my old Vodafone Number

• 10-05-2007 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I just called Vodafone to get my old number re-activated as I live in the US and im coming back to Ireland in 2 months and I want to use it while I'm home.

However its been deactivated and gone back into circulation as it hasnt being used in over 6 months, they told me that there's no way to track were the Sim card and the phone associated are located,

I find this crazy that a company the size of Vodafone does not track its inventory.

I want the number back and I know there must be a way to get it. Has anyone else being in this situation before and can you help me.

thanks Declan

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They told me a while ago that government legislation required them to put the number back in circulation after 12 months, and suspend the account after 6. I had to pay 10euro for a new sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Vodafone do put numbers back in circulation. If this has happend then you are out of luck as they would keep that information confidential.

On the other hand it may not have gone back into circulation yet and they are probably not bothered getting it back for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Sully wrote:
    They told me a while ago that government legislation required them to put the number back in circulation after 12 months, and suspend the account after 6. I had to pay 10euro for a new sim card.

I dont mind paying for a new sim card i just want it back. and I know there has to be a way. my hands are kind of tied as im so far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the Guru wrote:
    I just called Vodafone to get my old number re-activated as I live in the US and im coming back to Ireland in 2 months and I want to use it while I'm home.

However its been deactivated and gone back into circulation as it hasnt being used in over 6 months, they told me that there's no way to track were the Sim card and the phone associated are located,

I find this crazy that a company the size of Vodafone does not track its inventory.

I want the number back and I know there must be a way to get it. Has anyone else being in this situation before and can you help me.

thanks Declan
    its not so much that they can't do it as you have no claim on the number anymore and its illegal to track the owner for you. its a violation of the data protection act

the only thing you can do is ring the number and hope that whoever has it now is willing to give it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I find it hard to believe you stopped using the number only 6 months ago and its been re-circulated. Mobile companies usually wait untill the number hasn't been used for 12 - 18 months before it is disconnected, and a further 6 months after that untill its re-sold to another customer. You can still claim it back within those 6 months. I think its less for bill phone numbers though.

And yes, ComReg make all the phone companies recycle their numbers. Nothing you can do if its gone. Plus I'm sure its somehwere in the company's terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

vodafone are really hard to deal with , i seriously dont think you will get your number back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Pop into a Vodafone store and see if they can help out. I know they all work from the same system but sometimes the guy in the shop might stretch an extra mile if he feels like helping out some more.

ciaranfo wrote:
    Pop into a Vodafone store and see if they can help out. I know they all work from the same system but sometimes the guy in the shop might stretch an extra mile if he feels like helping out some more.

He cant because he is away

drdre wrote:
    He cant because he is away
    Sorry, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I had a Meteor no. I'd like to get back and transfer over to O2.

Anyone know if this is possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jrey1981 wrote:
    I had a Meteor no. I'd like to get back and transfer over to O2.

Anyone know if this is possible?
    if it hasn't been recirculated yet (ie is still in your name), go into a meteor shop and ask for a replacement sim. then put the sim in a phone, go into the o2 shop and port it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

OP, there's nothing Vodafone can do for you now. Do you really expect them to ring up the guy who now has it and tell him they want it back.

I can't really understand why you want it back, as all the current owner's contacts will still have it. Far easier to just get a new number.

the guru was the sim card registered to your name or not?

I never really understood why someone would want a number back that they haven't used in 6 months - but people have their reasons I guess :)

Have you rang the number to see if it's active?

its not so much that they can't do it as you have no claim on the number anymore and its illegal to track the owner for you. its a violation of the data protection act

the only thing you can do is ring the number and hope that whoever has it now is willing to give it to you

The number has not being assign to anyone else yet, they still have my details for the number on their db

ciaranfo wrote:

I wish I could but I live in Florida at the moment and Im not back for 2 months in this time it could be given to another person.

drdre wrote:
    the guru was the sim card registered to your name or not?

Yes it was and they still have my details on file,

I have had this number for quite a number of years and would really like it back again.

the Guru wrote:

Does anyone on this forum work for vodafone, that can do me a favour and I will pay you for it, I have had this number for quite a number of years and would really like it back again.

Is it a golden number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

the Guru, please don't ask people to violate the data protection act. It's illegal.
    Thanks

Pythia wrote:
    the Guru, please don't ask people to violate the data protection act. It's illegal.
    Thanks

He is only asking :) , I dont think he will do such a thing :)

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    Thanks

Pythia, nobody is being as to break the data protection act, I simply cant walk into a Vodafone store to ask the info I need, the chances of someone on this site that works for Vodafone might be quite high.

They may have come across this situation before and can point me in the right direction, and I'm willing to compensate someone to help me that's all. I'm sure if you were in the same predicament you would appreciate that.

And drdre to me its a golden number, moreover its the principle of the matter, I know it can be retrieved somehow, Vodafone know exactly where this number is they're just unwilling to pull the finger out of there arse and help me. Its still in my name and has not being reassigned.

the Guru wrote:
    And drdre to me its a golden number, moreover its the principle of the matter, I know it can be retrieved somehow, Vodafone know exactly where this number is they're just unwilling to pull the finger out of there arse and help me. Its still in my name and has not being reassigned.

I understand what you mean, you must be fustrated.I have had problems with vodafone before and they dont listen.thats why i moved to o2 and im a happy man for the past few years

the Guru wrote:
    I know it can be retrieved somehow, Vodafone know exactly where this number is they're just unwilling to pull the finger out of there arse and help me. Its still in my name and has not being reassigned.

I don't think you understand how phone numbers work. They aren't physical things that can "go" somewhere. Of course Vodafone know where it is, its on their server! Its not gone anywhere. It only takes a few seconds to re-assign a phone number to a new SIM card, or re-connect it on the old one. If the number is still under your name you can simply phone up the caredesk and ask them to reconnect it for you. If its been disconnected for over 6 months this is not Vodafone's problem and they would be breaking the law to reassign this number to you as it is has been out of your use for too long.

Maddzy wrote:
    I don't think you understand how phone numbers work. They aren't physical things that can "go" somewhere. Of course Vodafone know where it is, its on their server! Its not gone anywhere. It only takes a few seconds to re-assign a phone number to a new SIM card, or re-connect it on the old one. If the number is still under your name you can simply phone up the caredesk and ask them to reconnect it for you. If its been disconnected for over 6 months this is not Vodafone's problem and they would be breaking the law to reassign this number to you as it is has been out of your use for too long.

where does vodafone state if the number is not being used it will be reasiigned.i bought a sim card 1 year ago and sold it this month and it worked perfectly

It takes longer then 1 year of non-use to disconnect a number. I'm speaking in general terms here. Its about the same for every mobile company.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Maddzy wrote:
    It takes longer then 1 year of non-use to disconnect a number. I'm speaking in general terms here. Its about the same for every mobile company.

The main point which is being overlooked here is that none of the networks own any phone numbers. They are allocated a number range by the regulator and need permission to assign new number ranges.

Each network is obliged to recycle all numbers 12 months after disconnection, for bill phones this is simply 12 months from when the number is disconnected. For RTG phones, the 12 month period does not kick in until a minimum of 6 months after the credit is inactive but some networks allow 12 months.

Ie if you top up a phone and can make calls for 6 months but receive calls for 12 months before the credit is inactive, they allow a further 6 months after this before it is recycled (18 months after it is last topped up)

When a number is recycled it is not necessarily assigned immediately to a RTG or postpaid new connection pack which are sent to shops to be sold, the number is simply assigned back into a pool of new numbers to be allocated as needed.

This is why when you buy a new RTG connection pack you will not always get an 0870... or 0871.. or 0876.. range (on Vodafone) which are the most recent number ranges, you could just as easily get an 08725... which is the very first numbers since it was change to 10 digits from 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

the Guru wrote:

I have had this number for quite a number of years and would really like it back again.

What you could have done before you left the country was change it to a ready to go and or port it to speakeasy that would have kept it alive for the interviening period..you would just have to get some one to top it up for you every now and then..or make the odd phone call respectively..
    Too late now obviously but for anyone reading that may be in the same boat..

Advertisement