Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sport which has one of two outcomes?

• 10-05-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm trying online betting for a while with some success.
    I'm trying to find bets which have just two chances of winning - yes or no, win or lose, etc.

Most matches are win, lose, draw, even boxing has the possibility of a draw.

any ideas.

Why you might ask, well, I'm trying to come up with a mathematical system, but dealing with three possible outcomes would be too difficult and have little chance of success.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

tennis, badminton, handball, snooker (unless league game).....the list goes on and on...

tennis my fav in 2 outcome sports - plus betfair covers almost every pro tournement going - so id recommend tennis highly - very easy to make money if you know what surface players prefer / their current form / abilty VS big servers, serve and volley types etc...

A bit of research and your laughing (generally) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Agree with tennis. You could do unders/overs in football. Every sport will have their markets that only have 2 possible outcomes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Basketball and American football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Basketball and American football.
    Careful as they could have ties ;)

I remember my first ever bet on the NBA was NY + 3.5 against the Spurs. Spurs scored in the dying seconds to level up. Spurs went on to win by 10 in OT

I was happy enough thinking I'd be OK with the spread, only to find out it included OT. I realise this has nothing to do with the topic but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

You might wanna think about running your proposed mathematical system by us as well, even if it isn't developed yet. You might get to save some time with it if it's a non-runner that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

You could also try baseball...as the lads said there are plenty of markets, even on soccer etc that are 2 outcome. Would be interested to hear more about it myself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Thanks for the replies guys,
    My thinking is still in its early days, but for a starting point, if the odds are decent on one side, surely there is a way of putting a lot on dosh on the short odds and a much smaller amount on the bigger prices to get some profit. It might require a large investment, but if the system works, all the bet money would be safe.
    The only problem is finding a sport with decent odds, or using 2 different online bookies, with a good variation in prices.
    all comments welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i imagine darts could be another very good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

What you're talking about is dutching, and is only guaranteed to work if you're backing all selections when the overround is negative, which is very rarely. The second thing you're talking about is arbing, which is quite difficult these days as most opportunities are hoovered up by bots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

These opportunities are very rare in 2 'horse' events because most bookmakers work to overround books of about 106% in 2 horse events, so in effect you need 2 bookmakers to have differences of about 12% in their opinion of an event. Even then your profit is quite small.

Say Bookie A is going 1/6 v 7/2 and Bookie B is going 1/3 v 9/4.
    Thats a major difference of opinion but your arb is still quite small.
    You put €75 at 1/3 and €22.22 at 7/2, and whichever wins you get €100 back.
    So for every 97.22 you bet you are guaranteed €100, so just ~3% profit despite a major difference of opinion between the bookies.

It can go wrong though. With bots hoovering these prices up you can have a situation where you get your €75 on at 1/3, but then find the 7/2 with Bookie B no longer exists as the price has moved in line with other bookies.

One thing you have to do is work out which price is most out of line (as one of them must be wrong and will not last long) and make this bet first.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Given that he seems to be looking for 2 outcome events I don't think he's talking about Dutching as it is mostly understood, but rather just arbing. Forget about getting arb opportunities with the same bookmaker.

Arbing with various bookmakers used to be profitable with a big bankroll, but now as Zuutroy and Armani pointed out the opportunites are lost too quickly these days due to automated software. It's probably not worth the hassle trying it manually anymore...I suppose it depends how much time you wanna spend / waste on your gambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Darts and tennis are definitely worth getting involved in alright. Darts is more friendly to the punter with a 9-5 job and no betfair access in work though. :(

Advertisement