Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

scrapyard with VW parts

Options
  • 10-05-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a scrapyard in Dublin area which has loads
    of VW parts - I mainly miss some of the interiors stuff - glove
    compartment, air vent housing etc for my VW Polo.

Any thoughts please ?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

A few good ones on the Greenhills road, the one opposite the Red Cow Hotel is good too...but it all depends on what cars are in when you go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭barthek

Type 17 wrote:
    A few good ones on the Greenhills road, the one opposite the Red Cow Hotel is good too...but it all depends on what cars are in when you go there.

Thanks for that info!
    Will go there tomorrow and see whether any of them are open.

I am looking for some plastic pieces of interior for VW Polo (e.g. glove compartment, air vent), they hopefully have some. After all, Polos are quite popular here in Ireland arent they :)

Any other ideas where to call in to?

Duffy's on the left as you drive down the Long Mile Road (towards Crumlin end) - a big more organised than the other yards, os might be more expensive (not sure, never tried them, as I usually want parts from older cars).

There's also a really good yard in the countryside near Kilcock, but giving directions on the web is a nightmare (Can't remember the way unless I'm actually driving it!)

Type 17 wrote:
    There's also a really good yard in the countryside near Kilcock, but giving directions on the web is a nightmare (Can't remember the way unless I'm actually driving it!)

Great, thanks for the information. I guess they wouldn't be open on Saturdays anyway and I'd need to take day off to reach them during the week :)

I wish there were some online ones in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I tried ringing a load of places looking for the electric mirror switch for my passat - found that going online was the best bet in the end..! Might be worth considering eBay for any of the smaller parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cianclarke wrote:
    I tried ringing a load of places looking for the electric mirror switch for my passat - found that going online was the best bet in the end..! Might be worth considering eBay for any of the smaller parts.
    Ebay is great, i have bought loads of little bits and pieces from there.

I know ebay or British online scrapyards are great,
    but if you consider that the parts I am looking for are worth
    each between 5 & 15 euro and you add 20 euro shipping cost for each...
    you get the idea ;)

barthek wrote:
    Great, thanks for the information. I guess they wouldn't be open on Saturdays anyway and I'd need to take day off to reach them during the week :)

I wish there were some online ones in Dublin!

The one opposite the Red Cow is open until 3 on Saturdays (ring them first to see if they still are, haven't been in for a few months)

Kinsella's Car Breakers, Red Cow Naas Rd. Clondalkin, Dublin 22, 01 - 4593549

PS: Google found me this page, might be useful...

http://www.carsalesireland.com/cardismantlers.htm

Type 17 wrote:

Again, thanks a lot Type 17!

car DISMANTLERS - thats the word I was missing from the searches :)

I'd definitely have to call some of them. I wonder how well organized they are ?
    Are generally scrapyards in Ireland organized in a way that you enter the site yourself,
    look for the car you need, take the parts you need and then go to 'checkout' ?

barthek wrote:
    Are generally scrapyards in Ireland organized in a way that you enter the site yourself, look for the car you need, take the parts you need and then go to 'checkout' ?

Most still are, and this is better for you, the customer - the EU is pushing for cars to be dismantled and the useful parts shelved and the rest recycled immediately, but the problems then are:

1. Parts cost more because they then include labour costs.
    2. You can't see the car the part came from, so you've less idea about the condition of the part you're buying
    3. Only high-margin parts like gearbox/engines and large panels will be available - will you still be able to get that special bracket that holds a piece of interior trim? I doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amarshad

I am looking for rear bumper for Honda Civic 98 does any body know in which scrap yard to find that bumper help will be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maybe try some Honda owners clubs, people who will have ruined their Civics with fibreglass bumpers will have the originals lying around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

try looking on VAGdrivers.net - irish VW entusiast site - plenty of info on there.

Advertisement