Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on an MX-5

Options
  • 10-05-2007 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, Does anybody know any insurance companies to insure an MX-5 under? I know alot are picky about my age group and convertibles. I'm 24, on a provisional with a 1 years no claims bonus. So far XS gave me a quote for 2400 (fully comp)for a 1.6 MX-5. That's from their online quote though, so I'd say under fire & theft and a bit of haggling I could get that down a fair bit. The only thing is, is their policy requires you pay the first 5k for a crash.. Which I'm not too worried about as I'm a careful driver.

Anywho, any suggestions would be great.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dlofnep wrote:
    Hey, Does anybody know any insurance companies to insure an MX-5 under? I know alot are picky about my age group and convertibles. I'm 24, on a provisional with a 1 years no claims bonus. So far XS gave me a quote for 2400 (fully comp)for a 1.6 MX-5. That's from their online quote though, so I'd say under fire & theft and a bit of haggling I could get that down a fair bit. The only thing is, is their policy requires you pay the first 5k for a crash.. Which I'm not too worried about as I'm a careful driver.

Anywho, any suggestions would be great.

John.
    i looked into this a while back, and was quoted €1500 fc; i think with Quinn. I was basing that on having 1 year NCB when i went to buy it, but i can't remember if i put down full or provisional though, i think i tried both, without much of a difference in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I just rang Quinn there and they said they couldnt quote me. Hrm.. How old are you Tauren if you don't me me asking? I'm only 24 with a year on the road on a provisional.

23. I'm also a capricorn, and enjoy going to the cinema and playing football ;)

That's strange. She said to me, she couldn't quote me on it but if I bought one to call them? I'm not sure what she meant. I'm assuming she meant if I had already bought the car she'd have to quote me? Not sure..

dlofnep wrote:
    That's strange. She said to me, she couldn't quote me on it but if I bought one to call them? I'm not sure what she meant. I'm assuming she meant if I had already bought the car she'd have to quote me? Not sure..
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=591966

I tried that one there, on FBD.ie, fully comp for 1752 on a full licence, wouldn't quote me on a provisional.

I tried it on QuinnDirect too, and the site wouldn't quote me. I'm certain i got a quote off them for on before. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Ok man, cheers. FBD don't insure cars over 10 years old. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I thought insurance companies were obliged to give you some sort of quote regardless of your age, licence etc?

quarryman wrote:
    I thought insurance companies were obliged to give you some sort of quote regardless of your age, licence etc?

Yeah, after 3 previous attempts: http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7848&lang=ENG&loc=1867

Ill ring them again tomorrow and just say I tried 3 other companies. See what they say..

i reckon they will say something like €4000, just so you can't say they did not quote you.

Tauren wrote:
    i reckon they will say something like €4000, just so you can't say they did not quote you.

IMy buddy bought a 1.8L BMW, he's only 21 with 1 years no claims on a provisional.. He went to quinn and said he was changing cars to 1.8 and needed to get insured. They said it was somewhat high, but he said tough, he already bought the car - so they had to insure him on it.

I think if you put them in a corner like that, they'll have to insure ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah but he paid the "something high", right?

i'd imagine they are still going to make a tidy profit off him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why don't you wait until you have a full licence. When is your test coming up?

quarryman wrote:
    yeah but he paid the "something high", right?

i'd imagine they are still going to make a tidy profit off him....

tuxy wrote:
    Why don't you wait until you have a full licence. When is your test coming up?

Yeah... about that. I haven't applied yet. lol :( I'm lazy, very lazy!

I was looking at alternative cars, I can get insured on any other 1.6L car for 1100.. I really want an MX-5, but unless I can get the insurance down substantially I don't think I can afford it.

dlofnep wrote:
    Yeah... about that. I haven't applied yet. lol :( I'm lazy, very lazy!
    It takes less then 5 mins to apply online. O_o
    If you had a full licence you would get some reasonable quotes. Insurance companies don't see why someone would choose a mx-5 to learn to drive in.

tuxy wrote:
    It takes less then 5 mins to apply online. O_o
    If you had a full licence you would get some reasonable quotes. Insurance companies don't see why someone would choose a mx-5 to learn to drive in.

I'm already driving a year, hardly learning to drive ;)

Yeah I'll apply online when I get home. Forgot I could. Still, backlog is a few months isn't it?

Ok, Britton gave me a quote for €1,984.42 - for TPFT.. Now we're starting to get somehwere. I'll call them up tomorrow and try haggle a bit. Nevermind, that's for a full license. Damn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

'few months'? ;)

and a provisional, to me anyway, means you're still learning to drive - hence the L plates

It's between 9 - 12 months wait for a driving test unless you have an employers letter. Everyone should apply as soon as they pass the theory test.
    Insurance company's don't know how much practise you have driving, they just see the provisional and consider you a complete beginner. Hence the high quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

dlofnep wrote:
    IMy buddy bought a 1.8L BMW, he's only 21 with 1 years no claims on a provisional.. He went to quinn and said he was changing cars to 1.8 and needed to get insured. They said it was somewhat high, but he said tough, he already bought the car - so they had to insure him on it.

I think if you put them in a corner like that, they'll have to insure ya.

I'm 31, 3 years NCB full licence for 10 years and when I bought my BMW 325Ci and was ringing around for quotes, Quinn advised me that they don't insure cars over 175bhp, so I am not sure they have to quote you.

Linford wrote:
    I'm 31, 3 years NCB full licence for 10 years and when I bought my BMW 325Ci and was ringing around for quotes, Quinn advised me that they don't insure cars over 175bhp, so I am not sure they have to quote you.

It's 115bhp, not exactly an enzo. I can understand their concerns of a softtop, but somebody is insuring softtops because I see 2 mx5's in college all the time from people the same age as me. A car is a car, I'm not a boy racer. If I want to drive a car and insure it, companies should be willing to insure me. I can understand them not willing to insure an 18 year old boy racer on a high performance car, but I'm 24 and just trying to get insured on a 1.6L car with a softop, it's really alot of fuss. Ireland is the only country I know that's this harsh on insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

dlofnep wrote:
    Ok man, cheers. FBD don't insure cars over 10 years old. :(

Yes they do..........they had our 1990 '5 for the last 8 years.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

OP - drop Steve a pm (can't remember his Boards nick, just search Boards with 'MX-5' and look for posts by someone with a 'Steve' something nick).

IMG_0051.jpg

That's an IE-reg'd 1998 1,8 Ltd edition.

For what it's worth, ours was about €700 fully comp last year for the above, with female main driver on a UK driving license for over 10 years with maxed-out NCB, and me on a FR driving license for over 10 years as named driver.

Twice what UK insurance used to be - and UK had European breakdown/roadside assistance, courtesy car and smaller excess. And yes, from experience we have found Ireland insurers to be very peculiar when it comes to rag tops - any rag top, any insurer.

Now in the process of being put on FR plates, with fully comp insurance for 3000 miles p.a. at... €150 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

www.mx5ireland.com gets you to Steve & Co......

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mx5ireland/ gets you all you'll ever need, really.............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    Yes they do..........they had our 1990 '5 for the last 8 years.....

Oh ok, the online quote said the car had to be less than 10 years.

I'm goingh to get work to write me a letter so I can get my full license. Should take about 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

You have a PM

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

dlofnep wrote:
    Ireland is the only country I know that's this harsh on insurance.

Sorry, just to point out Ireland is one of the only countries where you can drive around freely on a provisional (on the second I know, legally but lets face it theres very little clampdown)... most EU countries do not allow this.

Also try and get your licence as soon as possible because sooner or later Ireland will adopt a european style driver permit system which basically allows you to learn to drive but will vastly curtail your freedom.

Ask for a cancellation and get a letter from work you could have a date within weeks.

mmenarry wrote:
    You have a PM

:)

got it, thanks!
    Sorry, just to point out Ireland is one of the only countries where you can drive around freely on a provisional (on the second I know, legally but lets face it theres very little clampdown)... most EU countries do not allow this.

Also try and get your licence as soon as possible because sooner or later Ireland will adopt a european style driver permit system which basically allows you to learn to drive but will vastly curtail your freedom.

Ask for a cancellation and get a letter from work you could have a date within weeks.

Getting one from work first thing tomorrow. Should be 4 weeks (ish) for my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Best of luck! I was tested 3 weeks ago but by SGS not the Dept of Transport. Found the tester very pleasant.

Advertisement