Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indian in Dublin City Centre?

• 10-05-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Two prerequisites:

1. Reasonably cheap
    2. Serves Chips

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Snapper1 wrote:
    2. Serves Chips

The cornerstone of Indian cuisine since the Raj's time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Ok, to be completely unhelpful, a girl from Edinburgh, where they really do know about Indian food recommended Bombay Pantry, I never got the chance to try it out, even though I love Indian food.

The catch is
    1. It's not in Dublin City Centre (Fairview, Rathmines)
    2. They don't serve chips.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

blah wrote:
    Ok, to be completely unhelpful, a girl from Edinburgh, where they really do know about Indian food recommended Bombay Pantry, I never got the chance to try it out, even though I love Indian food.

The catch is
    1. It's not in Dublin City Centre (Fairview, Rathmines)
    2. They don't serve chips.

:o

Bombay pantry is faberooney.

I have been recommeneded a place called Konkan too -
    http://www.konkan.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Medina is the tops for authentic South Indian food. But I don't know if they do chips. Probably not.

'Best' and 'must do chips' might well be mutually exclusive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Snapper1 wrote:
    Two prerequisites:

1. Reasonably cheap
    2. Serves Chips

Thanks

Again, not city centre but there is one along the Coast road in clontarf, just after the DART and it's pretty good and they do chips.

There is another one about a mile further out the coast. Again I can;t remember the name of it but there is an Indian dude with a turban on his head standing outside it every evening. This is absolutely gorgeous altogether. Best I;ve ever had. They don;t do chips though.

I think if an establishment that serves asian food also serves chips then really you're not going to get the best. Sure if you want chips why don't you just go to the chipper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maloti in the city centre near the green does a great early bird menu. Don't think that they do chips though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Jaipur is by far the best in town.Look at its reviews and you will find out.
    http://www.jaipur.ie/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rockbeer wrote:

'Best' and 'must do chips' might well be mutually exclusive.

agreed. I like chips as much as the next man but when in rome..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

drdre wrote:
    Jaipur is by far the best in town.Look at its reviews and you will find out.
    http://www.jaipur.ie/
    Agreed .. they have a branch in Greystones too called Chakra by Jaipur which is equally as good.

Alun wrote:
    Agreed .. they have a branch in Greystones too called Chakra by Jaipur which is equally as good.

Yep, and afew other restaurants in dublin.My father used to own the Shalimar restaurant , thats why i know alot about the industry, i have been working in restaurants since i was 16 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ballyman wrote:
    I think if an establishment that serves asian food also serves chips then really you're not going to get the best. Sure if you want chips why don't you just go to the chipper?
    Exactly, some places will do them but you would have to ask, i.e. no on the menu and probably frozen.

Why chips? is it that you dont like rice? there is usually a potato dish, like bombay potatoes or something, or just get the naan breads. At least the potato dishes and naan breads will no doubt be tastier than their version of chips. Stick with what they know best, you dont go looking for an Italian resturaunt that has to serve curry sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There are two Indian takeaway's on North King Street and the one furthest away from Centra opposite the brown apartments is amazing. Shockingly tastey food and rather cheap too, plus it's slap bang in the middle of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

monsoon on the lower rathmines road is a damn good indian! there's one out in stillorgan too...

http://www.monsoon.ie/ for the menu

monsoon on the lower rathmines road is a damn good indian! there's one out in stillorgan too...

http://www.monsoon.ie/ for the menu

And its owned by the same family as jaipur :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There can be only one...

and it is Rasam in Dun Laoghaire.

Great value for money, modern twist on Indian cuisine, awards and reviews that simply speak for themselves, it has it all (except chips; but if you really feel you must, a quick wander down to Dun Laoghaire will soon fix that!).

For me, it is the 'eat-in' equivalent of the Bombay pantry. It is the only restaurant that I have repeatedly visited every 6-8 weeks, since I first ate there about a year and a half ago.. Anyone you bring with you will be very impressed..

Magic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Rajdoot Tandoori used to be my favourite... but it's gone now.

I've been using DiWali (used to be Nagina) for years though and have always found it excellent and affordable. It's on George's Street.

As for chips... learn to appreciate the greatness of the naan bread instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

There can be only one...

and it is Rasam in Dun Laoghaire.

Great value for money, modern twist on Indian cuisine, awards and reviews that simply speak for themselves, it has it all (except chips; but if you really feel you must, a quick wander down to Dun Laoghaire will soon fix that!).

For me, it is the 'eat-in' equivalent of the Bombay pantry. It is the only restaurant that I have repeatedly visited every 6-8 weeks, since I first ate there about a year and a half ago.. Anyone you bring with you will be very impressed..

Magic..

Agreed, except it's in Glasthule.

Edit: I see the address is Dun Laoghaire. Who cares anyway, if you can find it you'll love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jamuna in Drumcondra..great food,really friendly and cheap too.
    There's one in blancherdstown village as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Bombay Pantry, Maloti and the one across the road from Maloti are all great.

rediguana wrote:
    Bombay Pantry, Maloti and the one across the road from Maloti are all great.
    The one across from maloti is called khyber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

I like the following...

Punjab Balti in Ranelagh ...long time since I've been there though
    Saagar in Harcourt Street
    Indian Summer in Stillorgan
    Jaipur ...can't really go wrong with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In terms of takeaways Bu Ali on Clanbrassil Street is consistently good.

jdivision wrote:
    In terms of takeaways Bu Ali on Clanbrassil Street is consistently good.

Thats good to hear :)
    He is my dads really good friend.I love the kebab rolls they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I went to DiWali (George's Street) back in January and had the
    best lamb dish I have ever had in an Indian restaurant, went back
    on Sunday, how disappointing, they TOTALLY changed the dish, and the
    lamb was dreadful, couldn't even eat it, and thats not like me!

Galadriel wrote:
    I went to DiWali (George's Street) back in January and had the
    best lamb dish I have ever had in an Indian restaurant, went back
    on Sunday, how disappointing, they TOTALLY changed the dish, and the
    lamb was dreadful, couldn't even eat it, and thats not like me!

I wouldnt want to make a comment on that restaurant.Its a different owner now and ........ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Don't suppose any one can recommend places that do good lamb dishes, none of this 'lumps of stuff masquerading as lamb' business!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I used to frequent Nagina quite regularly. I liked a whole range of their dishes and the staff were always friendly. I heard bad reports about Diwali though and haven't been there since really..

Jaipur (off Sth. Georges) is pretty good too.

davej

Galadriel wrote:
    Don't suppose any one can recommend places that do good lamb dishes, none of this 'lumps of stuff masquerading as lamb' business!!!

I would recommend jaipur for a good meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Used to be an Indian in Inchicore called 'Tara Tandori' which did the most amazing 'Saag Paneer' ever. Unfortunately it's been taken over and the standard has dropped dramatically. The waiter transferred to Malotti so I paid it a visit but wasn't that impressed. Sloppy service with inexperienced staff and food not that great either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Jaipur is great but not for large groups as they won't let you order your own naan and rice and insist on bringing every type. Usually the lemon pilau rice and frutiy naan don't get touched yet we're still charged for it. I've asked them to allow us order individually but they said no :(

Advertisement