Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indian in Dublin City Centre?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Oobie wrote:
    Jaipur is great but not for large groups as they won't let you order your own naan and rice and insist on bringing every type. Usually the lemon pilau rice and frutiy naan don't get touched yet we're still charged for it. I've asked them to allow us order individually but they said no :(

That sounds weird.They should let you order seperatly as it would be easier.But i think its a bit of a money making scam if you dont eat the food but pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tom_k

There's a place in Terenure (over the Terenure Inn) called Vermilion. Haven't been there in a while but it used to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Galadriel wrote:
    Don't suppose any one can recommend places that do good lamb dishes, none of this 'lumps of stuff masquerading as lamb' business!!!
    Monty's of Kathmandu (another fantastic Indian style restaurant) does a wonderful lamb dish.. it's called Kachela, and is spiced minced raw lamb with a shot of Whiskey.. It's one you have to experience..

I say Indian style, as it's actually a Nepalese restaurant.. Very simillar, but subtle differences..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Agreed, Monty's is top class.
    I'd place it above Jaipur.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Monty's of Kathmandu (another fantastic Indian style restaurant) does a wonderful lamb dish.. it's called Kachela, and is spiced minced raw lamb with a shot of Whiskey.. It's one you have to experience..

I say Indian style, as it's actually a Nepalese restaurant.. Very simillar, but subtle differences..

great place, their tandoori mixed grill is fanastic, melt in your mouth jumbo prawns. been around a long long time and consistent quality. am never sure if all those VIPs really eat there though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Think I'll be visiting Monty's over the weekend so! sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

I was in Monsoon, Rathmines on the weekend. Very happy with all courses. 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts and a bottle of vino for less than €90. Recommended.

(i dont think they do chips tho..)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

KINARA..... is just delish!!! Been mentioned in passing already on thread but not by name (its the one on Clontarf coast road that sometimes has a guy standing outside)
    Really by far and away the nicest Indian in town, although technically its Pakistani Punjabi. I used to love Jaipur (and still do) but think that Kinara is way better flavourwise and ambiencewise! You do pay that bit extra though so its not a cheap Indian by any means BUT the do a really good value early bird (note not on the weekend though as far as I know)
    For take away Bombay Pantry all the way, yummmy.

I have a vaguely related question: does anyone know of anywhere that does Paneer Tikka (dry) I've had it everywhere in India but its something that does not seem to travel to Indian restaurants abroad for some reason???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Chuchu wrote:
    KINARA..... is just delish!!! Been mentioned in passing already on thread but not by name (its the one on Clontarf coast road that sometimes has a guy standing outside)
    Really by far and away the nicest Indian in town, although technically its Pakistani Punjabi. I used to love Jaipur (and still do) but think that Kinara is way better flavourwise and ambiencewise!

I`ve been to both and while they are both excellent,I`d favour Jaipur personally.I found the food of a higher quality and the ambience of the place hard to beat,a much nicer room than Kinara.
    Having said that,it was Jaipur in Malahide not in the city centre so cant comment on that.Either choice though would be fantastic.

A little further afield but theres a new Indian opened where I live in Rush.I havent visited the place for a meal yet,but I ordered from their very reasonably priced take away menu and the food was really fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

the green chili on manor street hands down, good service good price not exactly city centre but its food is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Bloc wrote:
    the green chili on manor street hands down, good service good price not exactly city centre but its food is class
    Oh yes, I've never eaten in, but certainly one of the best take-aways (though they take forever to deliver).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

Yea i made the same mistake of ordering a delivery from green chili took about an hour and a half. but anytime i've gone up there fo a sit down i haven't been dissapointed. If only they could have the deep fried ice cream like acopolco on georges street it would be fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fatb0y

There can be only one...

and it is Rasam in Dun Laoghaire.
    Magic..

There is absolutely no match for Rasam... If you are looking for a balti/vindaloo, chips and beer, you might want to give this place a miss but if you are looking for an authentic Indian restaurant that takes real pride in their food, knows how to set the menu, and all in all defines the difference between an Indian restaurant and a 'curry house' this is the only place to go.

I have tried many Indian restaurants not only in Dublin but all across Ireland and if there is one place I could recommend, it would be this.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Bloc wrote: »

I third this! Yummy and reasonably priced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Jaipur is awful! I went there once and it was so flavourless and bland, our local take away is miles better. It felt like watered down, consumer friendly Indian food.
    From my experience, few Indian's do chips! Get some Aloo Bonda instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fatb0y

Agree with Twee about Jaipur. Been there only once (the one in Dalkey) and wouldn't be pushed to go again. They have certainly tried to create a name with low lights and fancy furniture... but I think a restaurant needs good food too. The menu looks very authentic but the food when it makes it to the table isn't. I even tried them at taste of Dublin once and wasn't impressed at all...

As for chips at Indian restaurants... come on folks! as someone else mentioned in their post, go to the local chipper for the chips ;) Gorge on all the lovely breads for your carb craving when it comes to Indian Cuisine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The first one after the dart station in Clontarf is awesome. It's the last place I ate before I left home a couple of years ago actually, beats the hell out of the injun food down here anyway. I have never been to Kinara but my parents say it's not as good as the other one, and more expensive. You can't get a hot curry here to save your life :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    You can't get a hot curry here to save your life :(

True. Anyone remember that place Shalimar that used to be on the corner of Exchequer St/Georges St? It was great and they did a mouth burning Madras too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

my favorite indians are....

jaipur in Ongar
    Rasam
    Indian Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

For those who were looking for places with great lamb try Kajjal in Malahide- fantastic lamb. The champ kandari as a starter is absolutely melt in the mouth- but its all really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

Don't know about that one. Is it located opposite the spar shop on Emmet Road and now called "Tikka Balti"?

Regarding other Indian's in Inchicore, The Bombay Cafe is excellent and hightly recommend it! It's located beside Xtra-Vision on Tyrconnel Road. It opened in 2007 as far as I can recall. I love their peshwari nan.

I also recommend:
    Sagaar, on Harcourt Street
    The Bu Ali, on Clanbrassil Street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Best Indian? A friend of mine from college. Pretty cool guy!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tamdoori bite on richmond street south is very good, they open late too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Namaste on Smithfield is amazing.. but dunno if they have chips on the menu.. something I never saw the point of when getting an indian!!! :p

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Yes, the Bombay Cafe in Inchicore is very good, brought an Indian friend and they liked it.

Advertisement