Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability services

Options
  • 10-05-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

Just back from the exams desk because I've fractured my elbow and can't use my right hand (dominant) for the next few weeks. Looks like I'll be doing one exam (German) on a tape recorder and four exams (all mathsy, I'm in Civil eng 2nd year) with a scribe. I've never used anything like this before so I'm quite nervous, has anyone got any experience or advice? Particularly regarding graphs, diagrams etc...
    I'm also at quite a disadvantage regarding study, not being able to physically do out any questions or write any notes.
    I also have to assignments due in for last friday. I have emailed both lecturers concerned (this is before I found my elbow to be fractured) explaining the situation to them, and again yesterday when I found out to what extent my elbow was damaged. More than likely I won't be able to complete these assignments for a number of weeks, has anyone got any experience of what happens in this case? I do have a sick note from casualty explaining all this.
    At this stage I'd rather just hook myself up to a morphine drip and do the exams by hand as I have no idea what to expect or how it will work:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Bad luck.

Make sure you go into the programmes office with your doctors note. They are the ones who will tell the lecturers involved to take you situation into account.

If i were you i would practice with your left hand. If might be easier for diagrams for you to scribble something on a page to give the scribe an idea of what you want then to draw. Just an idea. You should be able to draw most maths stuff with big letters, which will often be easier than trying to describe to some what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

ah this is a situation I know well simona, I had a very similar situation in my second year exams when I did some damage to a certain boardsies car:o
    and a lot of damage to my arm!
    you'll be doing your exams in the Arts building now, its lovely doing them there, you'll never want to return to the RDS Im tellling ya! Dunno what its like using a scribe because as you said yourself I prefered to suffer through so I could at least write. It wasnt fun at all and I feel sorry for whoever had to correct my papers! You'll probably be better off with the scribe but maybe do try and see what your left hand is capable of, just for rough work at least.
    As I still suffer from my injury I know what a b***h it is to not be able to write notes to study, can you use a laptop? I have to use a laptop now I still cant write. If not your stuck just looking and reading which is tough but all this will be taken into in your exams, so dont worry too much.
    As for assignments they should give you an extension on em.
    This is the one area where UCD are so good and so considerate to people with any difficulties like this, so dont worry, they'll take good care of you. Any other questions send me a pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Ive got bloody chicken pox and have to miss afew of my finals.I cant get through to the exams office to ask them for a seperate room.their idiots that wont answer the phone.I will have to do the rest in december :(

Advertisement