Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs vs. Blackburn (Sky Sports 1, 8pm)

• 10-05-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

As a neutral, looking forward to this one. Last season this fixture produced one of the games of the season, 3-2 to Spurs if memory serves correctly.

Spurs can cement their UEFA Cup spot, Blackburn have to win to preserve any chance of joining them (although it would take a number of results to go their way as well).

I'll go for a high-scoring draw, 2-2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good that it's a game that still matters to the league, dont think I could sit through another friendly like last night (bar the handbags).

Spurs looking to pick up 6 points in 4 days, a new club record? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i wouldn't be too surprised myself if BLackburn ended up nicking the points. should be a good match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Blacburn are a tasty 4.5 which is what i will go for tonight i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Spurs are in form, and up front have 3 players who've scored 60 goals this season.

Cmon Spurs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You can't beat watching Spurs for entertaining football in the premiership. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Looking forward to this one. I think Spurs will nick it. 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Lots of goals please :)

4-3 to someone, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mc Carthy 1 Berbatov 0

Great goal but what in the hell has Chimbonda done to his hair!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Great cross aswell from Pederson. I honestly dont think he would be a bad signing for Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

1-1 with 15 mins left. Defoe.
    Get Robbie on the pitch to finish this game off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Pighead wrote:
    so close there

How did that not go in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

roberts sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Roberts sent off for 2 yellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

God I hate when commentators just shout unlucky whenever the ball hits the woodwork. It wasn't unlucky, Keane should have scored.

i want too mary rob styles.

God I hate when commentators just shout unlucky whenever the ball hits the woodwork. It wasn't unlucky, Keane should have scored.
    In fairness Andy Gray did say Keane should have scored and would be disappointed with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, I was half right. I thought we might have a few more goals with the amount of quality forwards on show. Still, a good enough game. Spurs really had to come out in the second half after Blackburn went ahead, but Blackburn still had to win themselves. Made for an open enough game.

You'd hope for Blackburn's sake that not getting into Europe won't mean their better players get raided. They've been really good, but their poor start just made it too much of a mountain in the end. Even if they had won tonight and sunday, they would've needed Reading and Pompey to lose as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shame to draw against a side we should be beating, but thats football.
    still, its another point onthe way to europe, and im still looking at that 5th place finish.
    although, i hope blackburn beat reading in the final match of the season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Why do Spurs play Malbranque on the wing? Baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

didnt see game as was studying, but i heard on the radio earlier that Ghali threw a tantrum when he got subbed of after coming on, how bad was it? laughable or just looked a bit pissed off?

Same reason Strachan plays players on their wrong side. So they can cut inside and play a passing game, play through balls, take shots.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    didnt see game as was studying, but i heard on the radio earlier that Ghali threw a tantrum when he got subbed of after coming on, how bad was it? laughable or just looked a bit pissed off?
    He took off his jersey threw it at the dugout and headed straight down the tunnel. Your stereotypicial tantrum! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

In fairness, he came on on the 32d minute, and went off on the 58th....

Also, anybody see Gardner coming out for the second half late?? He was pulling up his shorts when he ran onto the field. 20 seconds later, martin jol comes out tying up his tracky bottoms lol!!! Looked hilarious.

In fairness, he came on on the 32d minute, and went off on the 58th....

He should be thankful he lasted till the 58th minute.

he was pretty awful last night. he has a right to be upset, not at being taken off, but at being so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Why do Spurs play Malbranque on the wing? Baffling.

Becuase we dont have any left midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Was at the game, draw was the fair result.

First 30 minutes even.

Second 30 Blackburn had upper hand.

Last 30 Spurs had upper hand.
    Pidhead wrote:

Emmm Pigsy, he was on from the 58th minute...:D

Ghaly's tantrum was a disgrace, played ****e when he came on and Jol rightly switched him for an attacking option. Hope he's gone for good.

Judging by last night Spurs could definitely play Keane, Defoe and Berbatov in the same team. We tend to judge Keane on goals when he's not even a striker. His best position is definitely behind the front 2, same as the likes of Ronaldinho.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Judging by last night Spurs could definitely play Keane, Defoe and Berbatov in the same team. We tend to judge Keane on goals when he's not even a striker. His best position is definitely behind the front 2, same as the likes of Ronaldinho.

Think he should have been our answer at left midfield this season TBH, better than anyone else who's played there.

Emmm Pigsy, he was on from the 58th minute...:D
    Damn you BBC Match Tracker for making a fool of Pighead again!

Pighead wrote:
    Damn you BBC Match Tracker for making a fool of Pighead again!

and to think you do that on your own most of the time :)

the bbc match tracker is reknowned for being crap, so i wouldnt worry about it.
    the one on skysports is much better tbh

and to think you do that on your own most of the time :)
    Oooooooooh, WhiteWashMan shoots, he scoooores! Wasn't a great goal though, Pighead set it up on a plate for you.

Anyway good news for the Spurs with Berbatov seemingly belonging to the rare dying breed that are known as "The Loyal".
    http://www.soccerway.com/news/2007/May/12/berbatov-sticking-with-spurs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's good to see, if he stayed at Spurs and Tevez stayed at West Ham, it'd be good to see.

It's nice to see world class players in teams outside the top 4, should make the league more interesting.

Also, I'll be living in London next year, so I kinda hope Berbatov stays :)

Any odds on Spurs making the top 4 next season? I definitely want to put a few quid on it. Sort out their defence and they can do it. They've no real organisor at the back. Are they being linked with any centre halves?

• Advertisement

there was rumour of one, but i cant recall who. i think the main rumours are the french u-21 captain, and i think hes a centre back.
    other rumours are still gareth bale at soton, that chappie at derby, robben (will never happen), oh, you know what, theres loads of them :)

im delighted that berbatov would stay, but i didnt think he would leave to be honest. he said when he joined that utd had put in a last minute bid but he still went with spurs becuase we had been after him for about 2 years, and he recognised that. im just hoping we can lose some of the lesser squad players like gardner, murphy, stalteri, mido and ghaly and bring in some better players. we still need a left winger. that pederson fella at blackburn would do nicely :)
    and i reckon wed taken that benni fella as well. sure, hes better than berbatov this season :)

and pighead, it was a great goal. well worked. its all about team work, not individual contribution. and its always good to recognise the team you play with....
    besides, without your humour around here, other p[eople who arent funny, might appear to the untriained eye, to actually be, in fact, funny. and i cant have that.

PHB, youll have to get yourself down to WHL for a few games next season. i do believe spurs will be in the top 4 next season, i just dont know who it will be at the expense of. i suspect arsenal. unless they do something to drastically improve their squad, i dont think they are going to be top 5. they are only top 4 this year becuase no other team outside the top 4 has been consistant enough. spurs everton and bolton should have done a lot better.

which brings me to bolton, if they lose their european spot tomorrow, then that is going to suck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

which brings me to bolton, if they lose their european spot tomorrow, then that is going to suck!
    It would be such a kick in the teeth since they've been there all season.

I'd like to see Pompey make the UEFA, they've got a lot of players with decent European pedigree. I think they'd be quite suited to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PHB, youll have to get yourself down to WHL for a few games next season. i do believe spurs will be in the top 4 next season, i just dont know who it will be at the expense of.

I hope Arsenal :)
    I'm going to LSE, so as far as I can gather, WHL is like a 15 minute walk from where I live. Also, there always seems to be tickets availible to buy a week before the match, so it should be a lot of fun :)

depends which matches, but they have a full house every game.

as for pompey in europe, well, the players may have some european experience, but what about ol 'arry?

we know he can get teams out of relegation (and sometimes not) but would he do in europe?

PHB wrote:
    I'm going to LSE, so as far as I can gather, WHL is like a 15 minute walk from where I live.

Where you gonna be staying? LSE is near Covent Garden, which is a lot more than 15 minutes walk from the Lane! Actually, 15 minutes would put you nearer than Seven Sisters, and TBH I wouldn't choose to live that close to N17...

Might sort you out next season if you promise to behave, any game except Yanited.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Any odds on Spurs making the top 4 next season? I definitely want to put a few quid on it. Sort out their defence and they can do it. They've no real organisor at the back. Are they being linked with any centre halves?

Your right, that is what we missed this season but the reason for that was Ledley Kings absence. He is the heart and soul of our defence and if he can stay fit next season we will be much tighter at the back.

id like to see someone else than him as captain though. hes a brilliant defender, classed by terry henry as the best defender hes playerd against, but he leasd by example, not by force.
    id rather a roy keane 'win at all costs' mentality in a leader. a heart and soul type leader. not sure who we have that fits the bill though. maybe we could get john terry?

id like to see someone else than him as captain though. hes a brilliant defender, classed by terry henry as the best defender hes playerd against, but he leasd by example, not by force.
    id rather a roy keane 'win at all costs' mentality in a leader. a heart and soul type leader. not sure who we have that fits the bill though. maybe we could get john terry?

Yeah we definately need that sort of player. Noone on the team comes near that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

shame to draw against a side we should be beating, but thats football.

I do love these delusions of grandeur that you have about Spurs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lemlin wrote:

In fairness, Spurs are a considerably bigger club than Blackburn..

Just in case you argue:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/34/Rank_1.html

Lemlin wrote:

I agree their are some spurs fans out there with delusions of grandeur but at the end of the day we were at home, we finished ahead of you the year before, we spent a lot more than you in recent years, we are a wealthier club and I think many would agree on paper we have the better team.

If we didnt expect to win those sort of games we could just give up.

After all a few years ago Spurs would have been a team blackburn "should" be beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In fairness, Spurs are a considerably bigger club than Blackburn..

Just in case you argue:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/34/Rank_1.html

What does a list of turnover have to do with this?

Valencia are below the likes of Man City and Newcastle in that league. Therefore should they expect to beat Valencia? I don't think so.

Have a look at recent results between the two sides. They are a far better measure than anything else and I think you'll find most recent games between Blackburn and Spurs have ended in draws, with the odd win here and there for either side. Therefore, how can Blackburn be a team Spurs should be beating?

I also laugh at WhiteWashMan's claim that Spurs will replace Arsenal in the top four. This is the same Arsenal team that beat them 3-0 and 3-1 this season. The same Arsenal team that they couldn't beat in four games this year, and whose youth team dumped their first team out of the Carling Cup.

If they were beating some of the teams in the top four I'd give them hope but their solitary win against Chelsea in the league was their only win against any of the top four this season. The rest of their games against the top teams were littered with 3-0 and 4-0 defeats.

But then maybe Whitewashman knows something I don't ;) Or maybe he's just counting his chickens before they've hatched, like he did when he kept talking about Blackburn's UEFA Cup run ending, as if no team could end Spurs'.

Pity about Sevilla though. I don't see them on that Forbes list, are they another team Spurs should be beating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I doubt Spurs will join the top 4 anytime soon but I reckon them and Everton are probably the only 2 that have any chance of pushing for 4th within the next year or 2.

The point I was making with that link is that Spurs are a considerably more wealthy club that Blackburn - both in terms of revenue and value. They have a considerably better squad also. They have a larger support base. Should I go on?

A Spurs fan thinking that they should be beating Blackburn is not a big deal in the slightest.

Lemlin wrote:

I also laugh at WhiteWashMan's claim that Spurs will replace Arsenal in the top four. This is the same Arsenal team that beat them 3-0 and 3-1 this season. The same Arsenal team that they couldn't beat in four games this year, and whose youth team dumped their first team out of the Carling Cup.

I agree with you that we are still a fair bit of Arsenal and the main thing holding us back is our performances against top four teams. The results just have not been good enough(personally I feel we just dont have the quality yet to compete) but I must take issue with the highlighted quote. They beat us fair and square but all this youth team stuff is nonsense tbh.

Lemlin wrote:
    What does a list of turnover have to do with this?

Valencia are below the likes of Man City and Newcastle in that league. Therefore should they expect to beat Valencia? I don't think so.

Have a look at recent results between the two sides. They are a far better measure than anything else and I think you'll find most recent games between Blackburn and Spurs have ended in draws, with the odd win here and there for either side. Therefore, how can Blackburn be a team Spurs should be beating?

If they were beating some of the teams in the top four I'd give them hope but their solitary win against Chelsea in the league was their only win against any of the top four this season. The rest of their games against the top teams were littered with 3-0 and 4-0 defeats.

But then maybe Whitewashman knows something I don't ;) Or maybe he's just counting his chickens before they've hatched, like he did when he kept talking about Blackburn's UEFA Cup run ending, as if no team could end Spurs'.

Pity about Sevilla though. I don't see them on that Forbes list, are they another team Spurs should be beating?

yawn. another tired flame from lemlin. seriously, you appear to spend more time slaggin off other teams than supporting your own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement