Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumpin through hoops on the soccer forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

so why dont you jsut revert to the "Need to be a member for a month before you get access" method? I cant see any downsides to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I agree with the B-man, for what it's worth :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lets pretend that over the months I've been a member that I registered 2-3 usernames and just let them sit there....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

jaysus lads, its not the fbi you're screenin for!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Let's pretend that the average muppet doesn't have your IQ ;)

Fecking soccer mods have turned into a pack of pussies !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can I ask when the original carnation of the soccer forum was closed? And how soon after was it re - opened?

I have only recently began posting there and, in my opinion, the forum has some excellent posters. However I think most threads are always walking a thin line and on the brink of a descent into a: "he's sh!te" // "they were brutal" level of analysis. However, I think that is a general problem with all soccer forums that I have ever read because most football fans don't have much time for a particularly analytical approach to game - and general journalism and punditry on the game doesn't delve into the complexities either. It's either black and white for a lot of people - and the grey area is never really worthy of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Why all the fuss about some dudes, in a different country, in shorts and getting paid too much to kick a ball around?

Just to note, there is talk about the Eircom League on the soccer forum as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The Eircom what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

KevIRL wrote:
    Just to note, there is talk about the Eircom League on the soccer forum as well.....

If its anything like there broadband supply...... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jayo_p

mistake

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

scojones wrote:
    The Eircom what now?

eircom? keep it to the irelandoffline or broadband forums!! :D

Gandalf, I used your history to edit the wiki page for soccer, hope ya don't mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

In summary, imperfect system much better than the crap I used to deal with on that forum and I can only imagine how much better it is for what the mods had to put up with.

It's not ideal that new users can't conveniently post on the forum, but I think all of boards suffers from problems due to people being able to sign up and post on a whim. In the majority of cases, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but on the Soccer forum they don't (or at least didn't. Maybe a trial run of open access could be tried).

I'm very tempted to do a pro-wrestling and mod that place for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

FWIW I think the current system for gaining access to the Soccer forum is pathetic. It's not like it's the only Soccer discussion in the world and the level of educated discussion is no higher or lower than any other footy forum. I wish folks would stop thinking of themselves so highly. There are still regular thinly-veiled insults on the soccer forum, as with any other forum on Boards. You can still imply a player is ****e without actually typing "he's crap" so IMHO there will always be rows and childish trolls.
    No different to Bands & Musicians, After Hours, Personal Issues. Some right goons pop up there all the time.

It's gas, yiz want soccer fans to sign up to this almighty charter before deeming them worthy enough to gain access, yet posts in PI about bendy willies and public masturbation appear daily and are somehow taken seriously.

More mods + open access, I'll vote for whoever has that in their election manifesto :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I notice that you weren't even registered on this site when we had reason to introduce procedures for gaining access to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ecksor wrote:
    I notice that you weren't even registered on this site when we had reason to introduce procedures for gaining access to the forum.
    Been using the site since 2003 actually ;)
    Not that it makes any difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TBH I think there needs to be some cotrol, however I think more mods and a probabtion period is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The Soccer forum has the procedures in place for a reason, and despite the support for a "soccerdome", I think it's acknowledged that the present system works very well.

Just my 2% of a Euro of course.

how does modding the soccer forum compare to modding AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

faceman wrote:
    how does modding the soccer forum compare to modding AH?

We move less threads.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    We move less threads.

kdjac

and we act more as UN peacekeepers and less as regional police.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

KdjaCL wrote:
    We move less threads.

kdjac

and you get to troll on your own forum which I guess is nice

copacetic wrote:
    and you get to troll on your own forum which I guess is nice

Ahh someone disliking someone elses opinion of things and feeling annoyed by it on the internet, thats a new thing afaik, your the 1st you get a badge in the post soon.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ahh someone disliking someone elses opinion of things and feeling annoyed by it on the internet, thats a new thing afaik, your the 1st you get a badge in the post soon.

kdjac

your are supposed to be a mod of the soccer forum yet posted various untrue statements, let on you didn't, changed your story a few times, ignored it when people pointed out your lies and generally acted like a troll.

fair enough mods are just normal users outside their forums but you were in your own forum. if you weren't a mod of soccer fair enough, I would think just another tosser and ignore. imo your posts would have gotten you a holiday if you weren't a mod, i've seen people banned in there for an awful lot less..

copacetic wrote:
    your are supposed to be a mod of the soccer forum yet posted various untrue statements, let on you didn't, changed your story a few times, ignored it when people pointed out your lies and generally acted like a troll.

fair enough mods are just normal users outside their forums but you were in your own forum. if you weren't a mod of soccer fair enough, I would think just another tosser and ignore. imo your posts would have gotten you a holiday if you weren't a mod, i've seen people banned in there for an awful lot less..

Imo you have an opinion of an event thats based on a them vs us mentality (pool vs police/sun) therefore believe anything that is spun in your favour. Rather than view something as a whole and take into account the fact people are bastards and **** like that happens, you believe what you want/led to believe.

In line with this thread and jumping tru hoops etc: normally you would have been banned for calling another user a tosser but there is some common sense applied when its something that people feel strongly about. Obviously you missed that, but im guessing you just jumped onto this thread to try and continue the thread that psi closed.

Btw i dont buy the sun due to "how" they reported the incident and not "what" they wrote.
    kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Imo you have an opinion of an event thats based on a them vs us mentality (pool vs police/sun) therefore believe anything that is spun in your favour. Rather than view something as a whole and take into account the fact people are bastards and **** like that happens, you believe what you want/led to believe.

In line with this thread and jumping tru hoops etc: normally you would have been banned for calling another user a tosser but there is some common sense applied when its something that people feel strongly about. Obviously you missed that, but im guessing you just jumped onto this thread to try and continue the thread that psi closed.

Btw i dont buy the sun due to "how" they reported the incident and not "what" they wrote.
    kdjac

i believe what can be proven or at least is reasonable, you are the one who apparently believes what the sun writes no matter if there was never any fact to it to begin with. Who is being 'led to believe' things here,? you are. by a tabloid!

On the soccer thread I called you a tosser but within 4 mins edited it out. Obviously not wanting to give the mod who is trolling a thread enough to get it locked the opportunity to ban me.

No matter the finer points of your 'opinons' the way you acted on that thread does imply you shouldn't be modding the soccer forum imo (and plenty of others).

edit: the thread is here if anyone is interested in what passes for 'moderation' on the soccer forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091471

copacetic wrote:
    No matter the finer points of your 'opinons' the way you acted on that thread does imply you shouldn't be modding the soccer forum imo (and plenty of others).
    [/url]

You mean Liverpool fans? Obviously the irony is lost on you there, im at a loss to see how the way i acted is anyway trolling.
    I believe something based on the facts presented by the BBC/media, you believe something based on a loyalty to a football club. As for what can be proven, noone can prove my point as untrue a fact missed by almost all loyal liverpool fans.

This is perfect reasoning as to why the Soccer forum has issues with heated topics.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    You mean Liverpool fans? Obviously the irony is lost on you there, im at a loss to see how the way i acted is anyway trolling.
    I believe something based on the facts presented by the BBC/media, you believe something based on a loyalty to a football club. As for what can be proven, noone can prove my point as untrue a fact missed by almost all loyal liverpool fans.

This is perfect reasoning as to why the Soccer forum has issues with heated topics.

kdjac

no, you believe something based on thin air. you kept saying 'facts' without actually being able to point to them. I saw someone say it once on TV is your definition of a fact apparently?

Is this not typical trolling behaviour? 'this is a fact' honest I can't link to it or back it up, but it is still a 'fact'

You also stated that the Sun was correct in a headline that was since retracted by them, and described as a lie by all other media sources. However to you this is a 'fact'

I give up, someone please take my keyboard away from me or maybe blind me so I don't have to read tihis guys posts anymore?

copacetic wrote:

I give up, someone please take my keyboard away from me or maybe blind me so I don't have to read tihis guys posts anymore?

So umm it begs the question....where are your facts to the opposite?
    You cannot prove me wrong as much as i cant prove you right.

Btw we have ignore buttons on boards you can stick anyone on it, gets annoying if someone quotes someone you have on ignore.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I came here expecting to be entertained by people jumping through hoops.
    This is very disappointing.
    I'm off to the Juggling Forum to see if anything is happening over there.

Advertisement