Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart board-what to protect the wall and floor with

• 10-05-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the most suitable material to mount a dartboard on to protect the wall against stray darts and also the floor against darts falling into it? Also, where to get it from?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You can buy dartboard surrounds and you can buy dart mats but they cost a few quid. The dartboard surround you can buy in Argos and I think it costs €40. Its great quality and I would recommend it.

Dart Mats are harder to come by and to be honest I wouldnt bother buying one because they are not worth the money. All you need is a bit of carpet or a thick blanket that you can put down when your playing and you can take it away when your finished. If do want to buy one let me know and I will find out a place that sells them for you. Its basically a rubber mat with where you have to stand marked out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for that but I don't know if the dartboard cost that much - it is a bristle one bought from Aldi. This http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3025501.htm comes complete with a cupboard for less money!

Is there a DIY method of protecting the wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I use the Unicorn ring myself (thats the one Kingp is talking about). Well worth the forty quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Yorky wrote:
    Thanks for that but I don't know if the dartboard cost that much - it is a bristle one bought from Aldi. This http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3025501.htm comes complete with a cupboard for less money!

The cabinets are not much use as they provide little protection.

The best DIY solution I have seen is a tyre cut in half used as a surround. Now the trye you need is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Yorky wrote:

The best way of protecting the wall is a dartboard surround,even a bad player will be pushed to go outside that.Its well worth paying 30-40 euro for the peace of mind and to stop her moaning at you.forget about the board that comes with the cupboard get yourself a decent eclipse and away you go.As for the floor a bit of carpet will do the trick there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pgough

I cut up a sheet of 1/4 inch MDF and fixed the board to that. I just fixed the lot flush to the wall with 3 screws. It only takes a few minutes to take it down when not in use. I have another piece of MDF on the floor to protect the polished floorboards. The light is just one of those desk spotlights that have a long arm so that it lights the board from above. When it is tied away all you can see is the 3 raw plug holes on the wall and she is happy enough with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

I have an old exercise mat that doesnt get any use, a couple of nails/tacks holding it to the bottom of the dart cabinet. Since i am in rented accom it works a treat for saving the wall from those drunken double 3's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I put a piece of chipboard under a mat but it is a tripping hazard - can anyone suggest a thinner but still impenetrable material?

Advertisement