Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New job with good car allowance - what to do?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I’ve just gotten a new job that gives me a €14k car allowance as part of the package so I’m looking for ideas on what to go for. I by no means have to spend all the allowance on a new car each year, and as I’m not all that much of a car fanatic (though I do appreciate a car that’s nice to drive) I reckon what I’ll do is buy a car for around €15k this year, but might not upgrade it for another 2 years. That said, I’d be interested to hear if anyone has insight on how people in similar circumstances normally handle their car finance – do they buy or lease generally?

I’m 26 but have no problem going for a ‘boring’ car as long as it’s nice and comfy and has enough acceleration to overtake relatively easily cos I reckon those saloons favoured by business middle managers represent good value. I’d say 2.0 litre would be the max I’d go, though ideally it’d only be 1.6 or 1.8. I seem to be more interested in having a ‘decent’ car (e.g. avensis) with lots of trimmings (A/C, leather seats, electric everything, steering wheel radio controls) than having a ‘great’ car (e.g. a beamer) with just a basic kit-out. That said, I stopped by a dealership today and a couple of 02 3 series for around 23k did look pretty damn slick.

So any suggestions on what makes and models to include in my search would be sweet, particularly any pointers on a particular version of a certain model that has all the nice trimmings. So far I’ve thought of the Avensis (new shape only), the Mondeo, Audi A4 (a bit pricier), Given the situation am I likely to be better off going to dealers or going private?

Nice one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That said, I stopped by a dealership today and a couple of 02 3 series for around 23k did look pretty damn slick.

Seems a bit pricy to me , what was the model /millage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Remember you'll be taxed on the 14k as if it were part of your salary, so the net in your pocket to spend will be well below 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would definitly reccomend a Passat. Can get a beautiful 1.9tdi 130bhp for cheap money, and with the amount of imported/clocked English cars in the country i would reccomend a dealer. Also u'll get a beloved warranty:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seconding the Passat. I have a 02 1.9 TDI 130Bhp Automatic and it's great. Get a highline version and you'll have all the toys you want too.

(I suppose I'd be one of those "management" types too :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ryan85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I can't argue against the Passat. Some reliability issues but if you get a good one you'll be happy. If you're not overly fussy about what you drive and want something similar to a Passat then maybe consider a Ford Mondeo diesel. A good solid car that's quite reliable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ryan85 wrote:

Would a hair stylist get a car allowance of €14k? :)

Octavia...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Would a hair stylist get a car allowance of €14k? :)

Octavia...

or 18,500 if you'd like it on Irish plates.....

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Have that VAG engine in an Audi A4, the 130bhp tdi. Brilliant engine, great performance and economy.

For image and more generous kit than the Passat, you'd be in with a shout of a 2002 model for circa €19,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Get a BMW 3 Series, but you should be able to pay less than 23k for an 02.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Was talking to the lads in the boozer last night (they'd know a bit more about motors than me) and a few were recommending a turbo diesel mondeo, and the passat was mentioned aswell.

Hadn't thought of getting a diesel - what's the traditional downside that seems to put people off them? If it's just related to performance, I'd gladly get a diesel, especially if getting one with an injection meant it would still be grand for overtaking.

Those 3 series may actually have been 03s, can't remember. I know the owner of the dealership but he was out of office so I literally just glanced at them and don't know anymore about mileage engine size etc. Reckon I'd get a grand or 2 off from him.

An Audi A4 does sound tempting alright, though I want to get a clear picture of what I can get for around 15k in a Mondeo, Avensis or Passat first. What version of Mondeo should I be looking at for turbo diesel and all the extras?

Any thoughts on the Avensis? Likewise, should I be thinking about newish Hyundai Sonata's too? Not a fan of the Primera at all at all though.

I don't have time to deal with the hassle of importing from UK (though the natural bargain-hunter in me wishes I had), and I'm getting more wary of private car sales due to plenty of anecdotes with bad experiences.

Thanks for the food for thought though.

I'm going to stick with the Passat and advise you to stay away form the Sonata. As nice as they maybe, selling it on again wouldn't be worth much or easy to do!
    As with the above mention Mini cooper the vrt still has to be paid on it. Looking at a Mondeo i would still prefer the Passat. The mondeo has a very, Ford feel to it, which runs throughout the range. The Passat would be a much nicer buy, and of which i had three, i've never seen a sad face when going into a dealer to trade it in. Twice i had to give the car up before i got the new one because the dealer had it sold. A big recommendation for the Passat is either the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9tdi 130bhp. Also don't get anything less than a Highline. Top of the range. The joys of buying second hand. Also make sure it wasn't imported or clocked.

The Bmw's give big trouble and it anything goes wrong it's into the dealer u go to get it fixed. And that's thousand or two gone down the drain!

thanks Limerick Man - reckon my search is going to focus on the Avensis and Passat - I've gone off the Mondeo cos like yourself I just don't like the shape of it.

What's the difference between the Passat comfortline and highline? Anybody know what the equivalent of the Highline is for the Avensis?

Wish autotrader and carzone.ie had a feature where you could specify the version (e.g. Highline) in your search criteria - would make life a lot easier.

I know what prices they are online, but realistically, what would you expect to pay for an 05 or 04 Passat Highline 1.9 Tdi?

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the Highline and comfortline. Alot of it is extra's, ie. wheel and a few other bits, Also it comes with a bit more chrome and body coloured bumper strips. The Strata (in the avensis) would be some what the same as the Higline. If u were to go for a 2005 Passat u would be coming up to the newer model, in which case i will recommend the Comfortline. BUt make sure to get the new model when buying '05. As i said anything from '04 down, buy a Highline, anything '05 up, buy a Comfortline or Sportline.(the sportline is lower b 15mm and has carbon interior finish rather than a mahogany in the comfortline. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The Mazda 6 & Honda Accord would be worth considering as well.

Cheers Limerick-man - that's some great info - will be looking at passat's during the week - will post with how I get on.

Thanks TomMc - I actually saw a Mazda 6 the other day and it got me thinking as it's a nice looking car. What model/version would be the rough equivalent of the Passat Comfortline or Highline (i.e. with all the extras)?

I was passing by Liffey Valley Opel yesterday - they were closed but I popped in to look at the Vectra. Was pleasantly surprised to find I quite like the look of the new model Vectras - anyone know what year the new model came out in? And what is the Vectra actually like (for some reason I expected it to be much cheaper than a Passat but it wasn't really)?

I sat into an Avensis yesterday and it kinda put me off as it just felt like I'm too young for it. For some reason the Passat doesn't feel that way, and the Vectra actually looked to me like a sligthly sportier Mondeo.

So reckon I'm now down to Passat, Mazda 6, and Vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Why don't you lease a car?

Hey DonJose - I guess I just don't know much about how people usually finance their cars, so I guess the idea of paying for a car I'd never own led me towards just getting a loan and buying it. I'd be very interested to understand what's involved in leasing, pros and cons, and in what circumstances people usually opt to lease.

Was just passing by Merlin Motor City so I popped in for a look...have to say this Honda Accord was very close to tempting me out of the price range I'd planned on - looks great and I'm definitely a sucker for the extras the Executive version has.

But I've just been browsing Passats online and I do seriously like the look of the 03 or 04 Highlines and they are in or around what I wanted to spend.

This 1.8 petrol and this 1.9 TDI look to me like good candidates.

Love the choice of Passats. That 03 model looks the part and i'm guessin it won't stay in stock long. I'm sure u would be very impressed with the engine as well so i would advise a test drive and a quick buy! :D

Just did a test drive on that 1.8 petrol 03 passat. Nice to drive but was a bit boy racer-ish with the tinted windows and BMW style rear wing yoke. Also, it's actually a fella selling it privately - when I rang Autobase they told me to ring him that they were just advertising it for him (he's mates with a guy that works there).

Brake pads need doing and there's some body damage and scrapes - he says he'd fix it all for the 16,950 asking price, but I just didn't get a warm feeling about it - 70k miles on the clock didnt help, as did no proper service history and just his word that he had the timing belt done last year. Oh, and the black paint had become quite dull, so I guess this one is off my list.

Disappointed that none of the 3 Passats I saw today had radio controls on the steering wheel, or cruise control. Had a look at the 04 Passat 1.9 tdi 130bhp in Kileen motors linked above - again its a guy advertising privately and also having them sell it. This time Kileen have it on site and say they've had loads of interest. It's in great nick and a nice car - didn't get to test drive it as got there too late due to traffic. The tdi engine did sound very loud though. So I'm not going to rush into either of these cars.

This 04 1.8 petrol Passat would be relatively decent value at €14k plus 3k trade in for my 99 Astra 1.4 club saloon (which needs plenty of body work). But I thought it was strange for a Highline not to have alloys, and wasn't made on the colour. I guess I just expected the Highline to have some wow factor internally, but it didn't and needed plenty of scrapes treated.

I test-drove this Honda Accord and found it very nice - much more wow factor and looks sleeker I thought. Though I'm not sure I need to be driving a 2.0 litre engine as I don't do all that much driving, but it was a lovely car. Anyone got thoughts on Passat vs Accord?

• Advertisement

As the man says, i'm not biased, i just love the Passat:D

What i think u should do is open ur eyes to a wider variety of dealerships in the country for a nice passat. Might have to travel a bit but i'm sure it would be a worthwhile investment. As for the Accord, i always thought they were very "granda-ified" (i wish that was a word) but it's still all in ones opinion. If u do find a nice passat, and buying it privately, might be worth while to check it out on http://www.cartell.ie

I don't think the Accord would be as strong as a seller if u were to sell it on again in two years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I’ve just gotten a new job that gives me a €14k car allowance as part of the package so I’m looking for ideas on what to go for.

Just be careful what they mean as "car allowance", some companies give a car allowance in lieu of overnight expenses, fuel/mileage and in some cases overtime.

Without knowing the mileage or work conditions I'd recommend buying a small car or a van for 7 - 8k , keep the rest.

Something I know which might be of no interest to you - someone I know bought a Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Van, got the company logo on the side and they offered to pay his fuel on top of the allowance.

Hey Limerick-man - I thought you'd say both of those points, and you're probably right - looking far and wide for a good passat would probably be a smarter move than the Accord due to depreciation, though I'm not sure which way I'll go. Guess I'll just have to get time to widen the search.

Do you not find the 1.9 TDI Passat to be very loud?

Hi HashSlinging - the car allowance is really just part of my salary, I guess they still break it out separately as a hangover from the days when doing so had a tax advantage. I could actually cycle to work and keep it all if I wanted. But it's a senior manager position so I feel I do need a decent car for the company's image when I'm making (fairly infrequent) visits to partner sites. The total package is very generous so I can more than afford to buy a nice car, so some of it is for the job, some of it is cos I'd like to drive a nice car (well better than my 99 Astra anyway!).

I suppose they are loud enough but i don't think they are as loud when u are in the car driving it. If anything i'm slowly being drawn to the 1.8t myself. Depending on the amount of mileage u do. If u clock up enough miles go for the diesel, if not go for the petrol.
    I searched all of Irelands Passat and these seems to be the best.
    Passat 1.9tdi
    1.9tdi
    1.8t
    1.9tdi
    And another 1.9tdi

That seems to Irelands finest. The 1.8t seems to be the nicest but have a look at them all. The 1.8t has the leather the sunroof and a few other bits. See what u think:D

I think Motorvation are getting a call tomorrow about that 1.8! Thanks for the link - was too busy today to get a chance to search, but that looks like a great candidate.

I dropped into Kingstown Motors in Stillorgan today cos my mate's uncle owns it. He has an 05 passat 1.6 coming in on Thursday. He said with the 2.5k trade-in for my 99 Astra 1.4 club saloon (which is fair enough given the body work required), I'd be looking at 16.5k for it, though I think it's just the baseline. I'm guessing a 1.6 passat is quite sluggish?

I test-drove a Volvo S40 he has - 05 25k minus my 2.5k trade-in - it was a great car and had all the extras, but I'd prefer to come in under rather than over budget and that 1.8 passat might let me achieve that.

I am currently driving a 1.6 06 passat comfortline. It isn't hugely sluggish it's jst if u wanted power i wouldn't go for it:D and as far a a baseline passat goes, as they say, step away from the vehicle. Like Bmw, Volkswagen offer nothing as standard. I think that 1.8T is a good candidate. See how that fairs out for u!

I reckon I'll test-drive the 05 1.6 just to see what it's like and what (if any) extras it might have.

I just noticed that 1.8 is Tiptronic so looked up on Wikipedia to find out what that means. Basically it seems to be a fancy automatic that gives driver some ability to override the gear shifting. Would Tiptronic be regarded as something that would help or hinder the ability to sell on the car in about 18 months time?

Also, Honest John says "Timing belt of 1.8 20v needs changing before 4 years or 60k miles a(whichever comes first) nd tensioner and timing belt driven waterpump at the same time. ". The 1.8 above is now 4 years old and has 50k miles, so if the timing belt hasn't been done it sounds like it needs it very soon, so I'd have to factor in that cost.

I wonder is it possible to replace the side bumpers on a Comfortline with chrome ones?

Well if anything, u should get a warranty with that Passat and also it says it's fully serviced. The triptronic is a lovely gear box. It's gives u a little freedom like a manual but it changes alot more smoothly for u. U can flick it to the side to let it hit higer revs, or ultimate use if for changing the gears, (and up a gear and down a gear option)...

Just thinkning, maybe start advertising ur own car because if u did manage to sell it privately for in and around 3,500 or 4, which ever, u would get a better reception from dealers and get some money off wit a straight deal. Plus u could open ur eye's to a private market as well.

It's only a suggestion, The Buy and Sell offer free text adds as with cbg. It's worth a go as it won't cost u anything!If u wanted u could pay a bit and get some pictures on as well. As with passing it around by word of mouth!! As a dealer myself, i much prefer seeing some1 come in with no trade-in, which is what is happening in most cases all over ireland.

Hi Limerick-man - I just went and had a look at that 1.8t at lunch. Didn't get to test-drive it as the traffic in the area was insane due to the fatal accident on the Kylemore Road.

It's a lovely car and the body work is in pretty much perfect nick, and the alloys are lovely so it looks great from outside.

Inside is full leather, heated seats and climatronic are nice and the tiptronic does look interesting.

The downside is I'm pretty sure it used to be a smoker's car as it stinks inside - that smell would drive me nuts. Is there any way to guarantee removal of the leftover smoke smell?

I'd also much prefer the full chrome pack for the bumpers, but could defo get over this. He said it'd be about €200 to put chrome side bumpers on, but I wonder would it look crap given that the front and rear bumpers would still be plastic.

Good news is that I asked him about the timing belt and he said they did it when they got it along with the water pump and tensioners (there's 55k miles on it). I asked if it was in the book and he said they'd add it if it wasn't.

So all in all, a very solid car, and if I could get rid of the smell and liked it when I test-drive it, I'd defo go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Sorry for hijacking, Frank what way does your car allowance work. Do you get it added in monthly to your salary or do they just give you a lump sum?

Advertisement