Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucky find of my Boa

Options
  • 10-05-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I went away last weekend and I forgot to lock the door on the Viv with my Boa in it, He is about 4 feet long very strong for the size and managed to get out. Any how after emptying mt clothes out of the wardrobe and just about checking every place in my room, I was going to look downstaris, when I saw him out of the corner of my eye, sliding in behind a skirting board. It was amazing he was squeezing in through a gap no more than 1 cm wide. I had to take off the board after 2 days. But let it be known that if you find one missing no place is to small

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Glad you found him hun! I have lost corn snakes in the house (pretty sure the skunks ate them tho!) but we still look for them :D Now all cages are locked! Just in case!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Glad to hear you found him. Luckily I hve not lost my corn but s I am planning on putting her into a new tank will be double checking it to make sure there is no chance of escape.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I have lost a corn snake, he got out about 6 months ago and I have not seen him since, I still look but I think the dog got him, it broke my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Padjo1981 wrote:
    I went away last weekend and I forgot to lock the door on the Viv with my Boa in it, He is about 4 feet long very strong for the size and managed to get out. Any how after emptying mt clothes out of the wardrobe and just about checking every place in my room, I was going to look downstaris, when I saw him out of the corner of my eye, sliding in behind a skirting board. It was amazing he was squeezing in through a gap no more than 1 cm wide. I had to take off the board after 2 days. But let it be known that if you find one missing no place is to small

Sorry to be an ass but you should be more careful! A boa loose is not a good thing, these are dangerous animals and if it got out of your house and into the wrong place it could easily kill a small animal or child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Jimkel wrote:
    Sorry to be an ass but you should be more careful! A boa loose is not a good thing, these are dangerous animals and if it got out of your house and into the wrong place it could easily kill a small animal or child.

A four foot boa ?
    Kill a child?

Now, I'm no expert on snakes but that seems a tad (just a tad:D ) OTT

I'd say the OP has learnt his/her lesson

• Advertisement

I know but it's the whole "Awww her cute little Boa constrictor escaped".
    They can grow fast remember

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

yea boas can grow fast but not that fast lol plus at least its keeping all other reptile owners out there to remember how easy a snake can get out, ive had a few escapies over the years to it can happen to us all,, and im sure it has to a lot of people keeping snakes,, think id be more afraid of a dog roaming the streets without a lead,,,
    how many dogs have killed kids in the last 2 years compared to snakes that got out:confused:

Doesnst matter, You keep a Boa, you be responsable. What if she never found the Boa, I know they Exotermoregulate but it could of found its way to a warm boiler in an attic, and who knows what it could eventually kill or at least frighten the life out of before it died.

I keep reptiles too and even tough they are harmless (Bearded Dragons) I am careful not to let them escape simply because I dont want to give an old lady on the street a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Well 2 things there, first I am not a she ha ha ha and second as was said anyone who keeps snakes has an escape at least once, they are escape artists, I only put this thread on as a word of warning I will know better in future
    Jimkel wrote:
    Doesnst matter, You keep a Boa, you be responsable. What if she never found the Boa, I know they Exotermoregulate but it could of found its way to a warm boiler in an attic, and who knows what it could eventually kill or at least frighten the life out of before it died.

I keep reptiles too and even tough they are harmless (Bearded Dragons) I am careful not to let them escape simply because I dont want to give an old lady on the street a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Jimkel wrote:
    I know but it's the whole "Awww her cute little Boa constrictor escaped".
    They can grow fast remember

Yes, but a four foot boa that escapes won't grow any more until it is recaptured and starts been fed again. They need food to grow and most snakes that escape don't manage to catch anything whilst they are missing.
    I was in the Reptile Haven when a yearling cornsnake called Casper was found, he went missing at 6 months old, was found six months later and was the same size he was when he went missing

• Advertisement
Advertisement