Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY modest recording equipment

Options
  • 10-05-2007 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hi, Me and a few mates are looking to buy a cheap 8 track recorder, basically something so we can record very rough demo's, for working on songs and giving to engineers so they can get a feel for the song.
    I'm not gonna put up links to stuff I've been looking at as I really don't know alot about them. I'm looking for advice on what the best thing to buy is so we can record drums/bass/guitar/vocals, seperatly of course. Our price range is roughly E400-500.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Are you looking at a standalone unit or something where you can record onto a PC or laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Sorry I ment to say that, I don't really know the pro's and con's of standalones vs interfaces, whichever's cheapest/easiest to use really.. either of them is an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Recording onto a PC is the most flexible option, though you'll need a PC, obviously. The standalone units are ok, but most of them only have two or four mic inputs, which is next to useless for recording a band. Perhaps a copy of Cubase SX and something like this

http://www.thomann.de/ie/alesis_io26.htm

would allow you to record 8 mics at one time. Never used that thing, so I can't vouch for how good/bad it is and it's years since I've used cubase too, but that should work, in theory anyway :p

That seems perfect really, we have the use of a laptop so thats grand. Do you know if the Cubase software would be licenced because we'd all like to have a crack at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It sounds like a stand alone unit would offer you what you are after in the most plug and play and headache free fashion. I'd look for something like a used roland like these (but please base your decision on doing homework rather than my pointers as I don't know these machines intimately):
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Roland-VS-1680-VS1680-Digital-Recorder-Newest-OS-V-2-5_W0QQitemZ160115389890QQihZ006QQcategoryZ41479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Roland-VS-1680-VS1680-V-Xpanded-OS-2-5-VS1880-1880-880_W0QQitemZ290113751756QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are of course other options out there, many of them. they often come up for sale on adverts.ie. Do you have any mics/leads/stands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

OLP wrote:
    That seems perfect really, we have the use of a laptop so thats grand. Do you know if the Cubase software would be licenced because we'd all like to have a crack at it?

Check that your lap top has a firewire card, if it doesn't you'll need to buy one. Second, make sure you have at LEAST 1 gig of ram. I guess that interface comes bundeled with LE which doesn't require a dongle but uses a code to install. The licensce agreement states that you can only install it on to one computer at a time, but buying it is better than cracking it so....

We've decided to up the budget in hope of the option to make good quality recordings, and also we're going to go with a standalone. We're looking at this http://www.thomann.de/ie/korg_d888.htm at the moment, would that do for recording drums/bass/guitar and vocals tracked at good quality?

Looks good. Though editing on a stand alone is a pain in the ass.

How do you mean?

OLP wrote:
    How do you mean?

I'm not trying to unduly influence your decision, but what you can do with a computer sequencer really has to be seen to be believed...do any of your mates have cubase or pro tools or ableton?

• Advertisement

Nah, the clostest thing I've ever come near to them is playing about with Cakewalk just making drumbeats and stuff. But can't you transfer stuff from a standalone to a PC?

OLP wrote:
    Nah, the clostest thing I've ever come near to them is playing about with Cakewalk just making drumbeats and stuff. But can't you transfer stuff from a standalone to a PC?

Yeah but you'll need a sequencer and some sort of interface unless the stand alone has USB.

Ummm I think the one I'm looking at has a USB, and aren't there free sequencers?

OLP wrote:
    Ummm I think the one I'm looking at has a USB, and aren't there free sequencers?

Yep you could try Reaper. IMO though you could just record straight to sequencer and cut out the middle stage but editing individual tracks is a good compromise between ahrdware and software recording,

Advertisement