Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started watching wrestling again

• 10-05-2007 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭

Just started watching wrestling again.....

Ok first off just like to say that I was a major fan of the wwf in the attitude era, basically from the Rocky Mavia stage untill the WCW invasion thing. That was the last PPV I watched.

Im now 20, and recently got sky back so decided Id start watching it again but either its gone downhill or...i dont know what to be honest. Its not that I now realise its "fake" or any of that as I knew all the secrets of Wrestling back then.

Personally I think the WWE has lost so many great wrestlers of old. An example is the main card of raw these days. Randy Orton, Edge, John Cena,Shawn Michaels, Umage and Lashley.

John Cena is good on the mic but has all but three different moves in the ring, and why is he trying to be stone cold? Edge is a joke. Personally I hated him back in the days of Edge and Christian.I hate him now. He just doesnt look like a wrestler and his promos just annoy me. Same thing everytime with him. Maybe he needs better lines or something I dont know just back when I used to watch it he wouldnt be even near the WWE title.Randy Orton...ill be honest havent seen much of him, he seems ok but there not really using him much at the moment. Ill Skip Shawn Michaels...there still relying on him. Umaga is another piece of awfulness. His matches are the same thing every time. Hes fat has no moves and just punches and splashes his way around the place. Awful gimmick. Bobby Lashley typical powerhouse but isnt good on the mic. Not sure really on him.

I Hate Batista aswell, hes been seen a thousand times before and he isnt even that good in the ring.

Mr.Kennedy is one wrestler whos promos are right up there. Hes funny.Basically hes a good actor and is pretty good in the ring although havent seen much wrestling from him.Out for 7 months now though injured

Im ranting alot here but where are the great wrestlers gone? Ok Besides the Rock and Stone cold.

There was Jericho,Ken Shamrock,Steve Blackman,Kurt Angle just to name a few.

On Tna Samoa Joe is a great wrestler to watch in ring. He actually knows how to wrestle. Is it just me or does it seem like most of the WWE roster are pretty poor at the actual wrestling side of things? Theres only so much "punches" and slaps one can take in a match. Seems to me apart from Taker and Michaels that Jeff Hardy,RVD, Kennedy,Benoit and eh...who are any good anymore? I usually sky+ raw and when it comes round to the main event i forward it to the end.
    Also the Split branding thing? Why not just have the one WWE championship etc? Dont say the roster is to big, release half them.Tna could do with some.

Anyone any thoughts? Just thought id give a view of what I think the WWE is like today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

joe123 wrote:
    Why not just have the one WWE championship etc? Dont say the roster is to big, release half them.Tna could do with some.

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. WWE was better back when they had a great mid sized roster instead of a huge roster (some talented, more not). They're is only two problems with it though, WWE will either release the talented few left on the under - mid card. They will go to TNA and make it big (if used right). The other scenario is that they keep the talent and let go the big no-talented 'roided freaks, which they have already pushed and made famous, which will give TNA a roster of big names. So I'm afraid, I don't see this happening any time soon, even though it'd be better for the business. I suppose WWE would have less superstars to sell merchandise off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

A roster of big names could destroy TNA. They could end up destroying the X-division if they sign everyone dropped from the WWE. They already cram as much stars as possible in their PPV's. There's no room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

I completely agree the WWE has gone downhill since the invasion era......It peaked around that time after the atitude era. I would have said the opposite that the wrestling skill has remained pretty level....I'd say that the mic skills are what has gone down the most recently ever since Rock, Jericho and Austin etc left the mic skills have gone down to 2 or 3 main guys as opposed to 5 or 6 in the atitude era.....Vince seems to be getting a lot of the mic time on both ECW and RAW.

On SD! Kennedy is really the only mic...Taker as the deadman dosen't really do promo's other than the eating souls and rest in piece. Batista is useless as a mic and a character. He was interesting with the evolution feud after he won the royal rumble. He's just boring now.

To pull WWE out of its current slump they need to spend more time developing characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The problem there is WWE isn't really in a slump. WWE strived to be a better product between 1997-2001 because it had to. But there's no competition for WWE now. So it's a case of I'm #1 so why try harder?

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

1998-2000 will always be the high point for the WWE/WWF- the attitude era was the greatest
    Started to go astray in 2001 - the WCW/ECW ''Invasion'' did not go down well even though for some reason I enjoyed it but I do agree it was badly implemented and that sucked out the momentum of the previous years.
    2002-2003 - Brand split and departure of Stone Cold and the Rock was the major turning point for me. I felt the enjoyment and the charisma of WWE was lost and it hasn't recovered. Booking also started to get alot worse but I felt in ring things were great especially Smackdown putting sensational matches weekin week out.
    2004 and 2005 were just awful and I pretty much stopped watching.
    2005-2006 Jericho and Angle gone = disaster
    2006 -2007 improving a little but still miles way from the heights of the Attiude era.

I mostly watch WWE for in ring wrestling now rather than when I was 12-15 when it was more about the storylines, promos and the characters. WWE was waaaay funnier and enjoyable to watch back in 1998-2000. I think the main problem for WWE has been the lack of competition. The product has had no drive since 2001 and that time perfectly with when competition evaporated. This era is the Comfort Zone era for WWE and it isn't great but still watchable. The other main issue is that Vince hasn't replaced the Stone Cold, The Rocks, the Jericho's and the Angle's. Cena is meh, Orton even more meh, Batista = yawn, Lashley = zzzzzzzzzzz and Vince has failed to push guys who should have been pushed like RVD, Matt Hardy and more who I just can't think of. And the script writiers need to come up with more original and gripping stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

joe123 wrote:
    John Cena is good on the mic but has all but three different moves in the ring, and why is he trying to be stone cold?

It's a shame you didn't start watching a few weeks back because Cena had the best match of the year thus far with Shawn Michaels. He's had two quality matches at the Rumble and Mania as well. Cena went near sixty minutes with Michaels with the crowd on the edge of their seats and you don't do that with three moves. :rolleyes:
    joe123 wrote:
    Edge is a joke. Personally I hated him back in the days of Edge and Christian.I hate him now. He just doesnt look like a wrestler and his promos just annoy me. Same thing everytime with him. Maybe he needs better lines or something I dont know just back when I used to watch it he wouldnt be even near the WWE title.

Sorry but this is bullsh*t of the highest order. Edge is the best heel in wrestling right now and his promos are great. And how could you have hated him from the E & C days? Edge and Christian ruled. Long live the stream and long live the 'zoo.
    joe123 wrote:
    Randy Orton...ill be honest havent seen much of him, he seems ok but there not really using him much at the moment.

The reason they're not using him is because he wrecked a hotel room (see my sig) and is probably on his ninth chance by now. He's unprofessional and can't be trusted.
    joe123 wrote:
    Ill Skip Shawn Michaels...there still relying on him.

So what if they're relying on him? He's the best in the world right now.
    joe123 wrote:
    Umaga is another piece of awfulness. His matches are the same thing every time. Hes fat has no moves and just punches and splashes his way around the place. Awful gimmick.

Wow, more nonsense. Umaga had a great match with Cena earlier this year. The guy is very talented but he plays a monster character so most of his TV matches are squashes. As for him being fat, so what?
    joe123 wrote:
    On Tna Samoa Joe is a great wrestler to watch in ring. He actually knows how to wrestle.

It must have escaped your attention that Joe is fat as well.
    joe123 wrote:
    Is it just me or does it seem like most of the WWE roster are pretty poor at the actual wrestling side of things?

It's just you I hope. The best wrestling of 2007 so far has come from WWE.
    joe123 wrote:
    Theres only so much "punches" and slaps one can take in a match. Seems to me apart from Taker and Michaels that Jeff Hardy,RVD, Kennedy,Benoit and eh...who are any good anymore?

Who are good? Besides those you name...Edge, Orton, Finlay, Regal, MVP, Matt Hardy, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, John Cena, Shelton Benjamin, Umaga, CM Punk, Elijah Burke etc.
    joe123 wrote:
    Also the Split branding thing? Why not just have the one WWE championship etc? Dont say the roster is to big, release half them.Tna could do with some.

TNA could do with some but it's not exactly good business to give talent to your rivals. The reason there's more than one championship is because they have an abundance of talent and with no real competition they have to try and nurture talent as best they can. Guys like MVP and CM Punk would struggle otherwise.
    joe123 wrote:
    Anyone any thoughts? Just thought id give a view of what I think the WWE is like today

I think a lot of your views are ridiculous to be brutally honest. The WWE has had a great year so far. I think people tend to look back on the past and let nostalgia get the better of them. I like the WWE's product a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

It's a shame you didn't start watching a few weeks back because Cena had the best match of the year thus far with Shawn Michaels. He's had two quality matches at the Rumble and Mania as well. Cena went near sixty minutes with Michaels with the crowd on the edge of their seats and you don't do that with three moves. :rolleyes:

Right after Wrestlemainia is about when I started watching it. Ive seen some of his matches but he has hardly any technical skill at all. He does his clothesline thing,his shoulderblock thing and then his powerslaw thing. We are lucky if he uses anything after that. And in fairness dont take "three" moves literally im just saying he is limited in what he does in the ring.

Sorry but this is bullsh*t of the highest order. Edge is the best heel in wrestling right now and his promos are great. And how could you have hated him from the E & C days? Edge and Christian ruled. Long live the stream and long live the 'zoo.

Personal oppinion, but as you say hes the best heel they have right now...shows what standard its at, at the moment. I cant help it if I think he just doesnt look comfortable in the ring. Theres something I just dont like about him and his promos are the exact same everytime. His motions and speeches are repeated nearly every show. Personal Oppinion as I said but I just dont see how hes a main eventer. The Hardys always made the edge/christian v hardys feud :P

The reason they're not using him is because he wrecked a hotel room (see my sig) and is probably on his ninth chance by now. He's unprofessional and can't be trusted.

Didnt know that, cant really comment on him.

So what if they're relying on him? He's the best in the world right now.

Its not a dig, just a comment. Although on a side note its kind of strange on RAW tonight he said Vince Mcmahon never gave him anything....hmmm anyone remember a pretty famous incident involving The bret Hart screw job?:rolleyes:

Wow, more nonsense. Umaga had a great match with Cena earlier this year. The guy is very talented but he plays a monster character so most of his TV matches are squashes. As for him being fat, so what?

Nonsense. Jese wish I had your perfect sense all the time. Hopefully some day I will see things clearly.:rolleyes: I hadnt seen umaga untill after Wrestlemainia so dont know what he was like before but I never watch any of his matches. You can be a monster and still involve some form of Wrestling. Hes fat and boring. I am just going on what ive seen since wrestlemainia though.

It must have escaped your attention that Joe is fat as well.

Compare Samoa Joes Wrestling to Umaga.Dont make me Laugh. Samoa Joe is talented.In fact it shows how good he is at actually wrestling even with weight on him. Any wrestler who can pull of submission moves is talented in my book. Splashes? Get Viscera in their he'd do the exact same thing.

From the comments above....some people must aggree with me. What are the ratings like compared now to back in the day?

Who are good? Besides those you name...Edge, Orton, Finlay, Regal, MVP, Matt Hardy, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, John Cena, Shelton Benjamin, Umaga, CM Punk, Elijah Burke etc.

Ive already commented on Edge and Orton. Finlay is good but he looks to old to be anything now. William Regal? Are you serious?! Ha! Matt Hardy is ok, I prefer Jeff but Matt seems to have alot of respect. London/Kendrick yeah there a good team . Now Shelton Benjamin is a wrestler I do like. Never heard him on mic yet though same goes for the two ecw guys. (punk and Burke)

Umaga? Seriously one of the worst main eventers I have ever seen.
    Please Dont mention Batista,Cena,Edge,or Umaga...they shouldnt be main eventers. Rikishi was a better fat man than Umaga.

TNA could do with some but it's not exactly good business to give talent to your rivals. The reason there's more than one championship is because they have an abundance of talent and with no real competition they have to try and nurture talent as best they can. Guys like MVP and CM Punk would struggle otherwise.

What should be done is offload tripe like umaga and Batista..:P. Mvp and punk could do well if that happened. Of course though Vince would drop the wrong people. Him being ECW champ is a boring storyline. That Vince/lashley feud is ridiculous.

I think a lot of your views are ridiculous to be brutally honest. The WWE has had a great year so far. I think people tend to look back on the past and let nostalgia get the better of them. I like the WWE's product a lot.

I think your ridiculous.;) Seriously No need to go calling someones views ridiculous but hey what can one do? Maybe it is nostalgia. But when you compare the wrestlers back then to the wrestlers of today....seems a no contest to me really.

What would you rather?

Jericho or orton? Rock or Cena? Stone Cold or Edge? Angle or Umaga? I could go on. Mid card matches such as Shamrock and Blackman were classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wouldn't really agree with your views, joe123, but I can understand them. I wasn't a fan of Edge back in the day at all and I'd probably feel the same way now if I just started watching again. But he's really improved, easily one of the top guys in WWE, I'd put him second to Shawn Michaels at the moment

I'd agree with Jonny Arson on how it's been the last few years. The invasion stuff was awful, picked up a bit in 2002, it's been bad since then really. This year has started off great though, as great as you can expect of WWE I think

As for the lack of stars, the more I think about it, the more I believe that it is largely down to the fact that WWE's wrestlers have their promos scripted. Austin or Rock would never have scripted promos and they were able to connect with the audience so much better than most of the guys today. There are some guys who are great on the mic (I'm thinking CM Punk and Kennedy here), but they suck when they're given lines to speak

There are a lot more guys who are good at the actual wrestling in WWE than you mentioned though, joe123. Some of the guys Mr.Nice Guy mentioned. I don't think it's quite as bad as you see it, but I still think there's room for improvement. And Samoa Joe is brilliant

EDIT: You're seriously underestimating Edge there, joe123! I'd agree with you a good bit about Umaga, I haven't found him entertaining since WM, nor that whole ECW storyline. Edge is excellent though. Maybe you just need to see more of him. Regal is great too, what have you got against him?!

Give up right here joe, seriously, MrNiceGuy needs to change his name to MrI'mAlwaysRight. You'll discover this in time. ;)

VR!

Fozzy wrote:
    I wouldn't really agree with your views, joe123, but I can understand them. I wasn't a fan of Edge back in the day at all and I'd probably feel the same way now if I just started watching again. But he's really improved, easily one of the top guys in WWE, I'd put him second to Shawn Michaels at the moment

Fair enough, Ill give him more time and see. Although he just looks so awkward in the ring it really puts me off.Maybe its because hes just tall and skinny, just doesnt look right or something.
    Fozzy wrote:
    I'd agree with Jonny Arson on how it's been the last few years. The invasion stuff was awful, picked up a bit in 2002, it's been bad since then really. This year has started off great though, as great as you can expect of WWE I think

hmmm...Do you not think Vince Mcmahon is hogging the mic? I mean every show he comes out a speals the same muck. And once again this ecw champ storyline is ridiculous...and extremely boring.
    Fozzy wrote:
    As for the lack of stars, the more I think about it, the more I believe that it is largely down to the fact that WWE's wrestlers have their promos scripted. Austin or Rock would never have scripted promos and they were able to connect with the audience so much better than most of the guys today. There are some guys who are great on the mic (I'm thinking CM Punk and Kennedy here), but they suck when they're given lines to speak

I always thought they were always scripted. Never knew Austin and rock werent scripted. Why have they stopped this? Kennedy seems the only one anywhere near their level now.
    Fozzy wrote:
    There are a lot more guys who are good at the actual wrestling in WWE than you mentioned though, joe123. Some of the guys Mr.Nice Guy mentioned. I don't think it's quite as bad as you see it, but I still think there's room for improvement. And Samoa Joe is brilliant
    Fozzy wrote:
    Regal is great too, what have you got against him?!

Never liked him. He looks like Ric Flair which is an old man trying to wrestle. Hes slow and...just dont like anything about him.

Well as I said ill give it more time, but i just hate this whole "punching and slaps" The punching always looks crap anyways dont know why they do it so much nowadays. Samoa Joe should be brought to the WWE to show the likes of Cena,Batista and umaga how to wrestle. Bring Ken Shamrock back too think hes finished with the UFC now aswell..(wishful thinking)

About Cena is he meant to be a face or a heel? It seems as if hes trying to be a face but he gets a really bad reaction from the crowd?? How come?

One other thing. Does the "exploding stage" thing at backlash happen often in WWE now? Theres no word for that but stupid? Totally ruined the taker/batista match.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote:
    hmmm...Do you not think Vince Mcmahon is hogging the mic? I mean every show he comes out a speals the same muck. And once again this ecw champ storyline is ridiculous...and extremely boring.

Yeah, I do. That angle isn't doing it for me at all, it's been predictable the last couple of weeks and I find it boring. Best just to ignore it

joe123 wrote:
    I always thought they were always scripted. Never knew Austin and rock werent scripted. Why have they stopped this? Kennedy seems the only one anywhere near their level now.

I'd say they've stopped it because of a combination of not trusting wrestlers to do a good enough job and because the creative team want more control over what goes on tv. I wouldn't put Kennedy up there with what I've seen on tv, but there's a clear difference to me when he's saying stuff on the fly rather than when it's scripted. The best example was when he was on a WWE.com show called Byte This. He was brilliant, just really funny and witty and fun to watch. This was when he was injured last year, and a few weeks later he was commentating on SD, obviously being told what to say, and he was crap

Punk is easily one of the best mic workers in WWE though, the stuff he did before he joined WWE was classic. But if you saw him on Raw the week before WM you'd think he was average, he was saying the kind of thing that obviously wasn't natural to him. That's the problem with scripts I think

joe123 wrote:
    About Cena is he meant to be a face or a heel? It seems as if hes trying to be a face but he gets a really bad reaction from the crowd?? How come?

He's meant to be a face. The kids love him and he sells a lot of merchandise. The majority of older fans hate him though. But like it was mentioned in another thread, as long as the fans keep coming then WWE don't really have a problem. Cena was pretty poor last year. The feeling among most fans was that he was only champ because of the kids and because he had a rap album and a movie out. He's improved since then and his character has become more bearable too, but some people just continue to hate him!

joe123 wrote:
    One other thing. Does the "exploding stage" thing at backlash happen often in WWE now? Theres no word for that but stupid? Totally ruined the taker/batista match.

In fairness, it doesn't at all. I can't think of any recent times when stuff like that happened. It did take away from a good match I thought, it looked so obviously fake

EDIT: Ah, you're missing out if you're not a fan of Regal! I would say that he knows more about wrestling than just about anyone in WWE. I love to watch him, he knows exactly what he's doing, although he's not that great when he's stuck in a short match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Even though you know it was fake and all when you were 16, you start to cop-on a bit in your 20ies thats why it seems worse now than before. I follow it coming up to Wrestlemania, its brilliant entertainment but quite sad to be watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nonsense. People are creaming all over Cena Vs Umaga, and Cena Vs HBK at Rumble and Mania respectively. Both of these matches were truly awful. Nothing will convince me otherwise. Cena HBK at Raw is a different story. They needed to do that match to redeem themselves after a ****ty WM Main event.

As for the best in 2007 being WWE, thats just plain wrong, even TNA have had as many good matches as WWE thus far. The best wrestling, that I have seen so far in 2007 is in ROH, with some amazing matches involving Roderick Strong, The Briscoes, Morishima, Samoa Joe, Nigel McGuinness. Hell, Ive seen more good matches in Pro Wrestling NOAH in 2007, and i dont even watch Japan all that often.

Re Joe123 - have to completely disagree with you about Edge. Best heel in WWE at present, very good in the ring, good on the mic, good look etc. What more can he need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

The problem there is WWE isn't really in a slump. WWE strived to be a better product between 1997-2001 because it had to. But there's no competition for WWE now. So it's a case of I'm #1 so why try harder?

VR!

Very true
    joe123 wrote:
    Jericho or orton? Rock or Cena? Stone Cold or Edge? Angle or Umaga? I could go on. Mid card matches such as Shamrock and Blackman were classic.

Blackman was great...I really liked him, in particular when he was in a tag team with Al Snow. The fact that WWE dosen't have anyone to compete with true but the talent isn't the same. Personally i think of Cena as a bad Jericho. The top stars today who weren't around in the attitude years don't have the same charisma, character and mic skills as those who were. Cena for instance has had a very long run as champ....and its been horribly boring...I mean come on he's beaten both HBK and HHH at wrestlemania. Whatever your opinions on HHH he is one of the greats......But with Cena as champ its just boring especially with the khali match wonder whats goin to happen there?

Mr Kennedy personally I don't like him on a mic...While i have to admit he has potential and is one of the best of the "new" breed with a mic....it just really pisses me off the way he always says his name it comes across to me at least that he's trying to be like the rock and that's something no one else is really goin to be able to do....Jericho came closest to the rocks skills with a mic and he's gone. I never liked Austin/HHH/Angle with a mic but there characters and outside ring actions made up for that. Taker as the badass cut some of the best promos especially during the decade of destruction phase of that character.

A bit off topic but I would like to see taker return as the Bad Ass or something similar....give him more mic time.....if he returns.

At the moment the WWE is in the comfort zone they are no1 without having to try very hard. A story line I would like to see maybe around survivor series time would be a huge inter brand war that went on till maybe wrestlemania or The rumble with the end coming when the it all becomes one brand again like back in the atitude era and them "trimming the fat" from the rosters......I haven't watched ECW so I don't know if this is just out of ignorance but it seems that most of that roster could go, they don't seem to up to much.....out of that roster i would keep CM Punk, RVD, Hardcore Holly and Lashley at a push......I know some people will probably be up in arms bout that but like I said I don't watch ECW to know but they seem to me to be the only ones worth keeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

For me, 1996- 2000 were the golden years of WWF. Although they did have their silly points when they had the likes of the corporate ministry taking over the entire show. Stables were rampant back then.

WWE is more concerned about visuals than actual talent. They want big strong guys who look the part but can't wrestle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

The haircut match at WM summed up what the WWE has become a load of ****e.
    Ive been a fan of the WWE sine 1991 when I was 7 years old. I can honestly say this is the worst spell in WWE history & I cant see it recovering.

Just look at how the ratings have dropped since 2001.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwfraw.htm

Became a bit more stable when DX came back but have gone downhill again the last few months.

Vince has lost the plot, he needs to retire & hand things over to shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

gimmick wrote:
    Nonsense. People are creaming all over Cena Vs Umaga, and Cena Vs HBK at Rumble and Mania respectively. Both of these matches were truly awful. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

Awful is a bit harsh to be fair. The Umaga Cena match was a very entertaining last man standing match and as was pointed out in that Lance Storm article, it was the logical way of ending their feud. Cena Michaels at Mania was grand apart from the fact that Cena no sold his knee injury, which p*ssed me off no end. This was all amended on Raw the other week though.

For me the old MOTYC's so far are Cena vs Michaels on Raw, Joe vs Morishima at FYF NYC, Briscoes vs Steen & Generico at FYF Philly and from memory, as I haven't seen the DVD yet, Nigel vs Rave and Briscoe vs. Briscoe from FYF Finale, with an honourable mention to Lethal Lockdown, for sheer spotfestness.

It has to be said though, I don't think ROH will appeal to the broad spectrum of wrestling fans on here, only the chosen few! But to the OP, if your looking for good/great in ring action, look no further than ROH.
    tdv wrote:

Became a bit more stable when DX came back but have gone downhill again the last few months.

Vince has lost the plot, he needs to retire & hand things over to shane.

The return of DX was awful. Their skits used to be funny back in the Attitude era, but god they sucked when they returned. All they did was kill the Spirit Squad over and over, and then stuck Vinces head up the Big Shows ass. Their return was lame and unnecessary. Great from a marketing pov but generally ****ty else where.

Vince has lost the plot, but he's still funny at it. But with Shane back on tv more now, I think he is well in the grooming stage to take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Double C wrote:
    Awful is a bit harsh to be fair. The Umaga Cena match was a very entertaining last man standing match and as was pointed out in that Lance Storm article, it was the logical way of ending their feud. Cena Michaels at Mania was grand apart from the fact that Cena no sold his knee injury, which p*ssed me off no end. This was all amended on Raw the other week though.

For me the old MOTYC's so far are Cena vs Michaels on Raw, Joe vs Morishima at FYF NYC, Briscoes vs Steen & Generico at FYF Philly and from memory, as I haven't seen the DVD yet, Nigel vs Rave and Briscoe vs. Briscoe from FYF Finale, with an honourable mention to Lethal Lockdown, for sheer spotfestness.

It has to be said though, I don't think ROH will appeal to the broad spectrum of wrestling fans on here, only the chosen few! But to the OP, if your looking for good/great in ring action, look no further than ROH.

The return of DX was awful. Their skits used to be funny back in the Attitude era, but god they sucked when they returned. All they did was kill the Spirit Squad over and over, and then stuck Vinces head up the Big Shows ass. Their return was lame and unnecessary. Great from a marketing pov but generally ****ty else where.

Vince has lost the plot, but he's still funny at it. But with Shane back on tv more now, I think he is well in the grooming stage to take over.

Oh yeah, the return of DX was awful but it did attract viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i also recently started watch WWE again

its grand now, I couldn't watch a live event

i have to sky plus it

i hate women wrestling:rolleyes:

i stopped looking at WWF after what happened to Bret Hart

Bret ... the best there was, the best there is and the best that will ever be :)

i also recently started watch WWE again

its grand now, I couldn't watch a live event

i have to sky plus it

i hate women wrestling:rolleyes:

i stopped looking at WWF after what happened to Bret Hart

Bret ... the best there was, the best there is and the best that will ever be :)

Bret Hart truly was a great. Such a shame how it ended for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Bret Hart was great, at least in his own mind. Can't say I was ever a fan of his.

WWE now ... well I think it's pretty good. The company went to the dogs after the brand split. But over the last few years I'd say that smackdown has been a consistently good show. It's had it's down points, but overall it's good.

I don't watch Raw too often (it's hard ot watch 4 hours of wrestling a week), but from what I've heard over the last few years, it's been more up and down than sd. When it was good it was really good, but when it was bad it was awful. It's supposed to have been a bit more consistent recently.

gimmick wrote:
    Nonsense. People are creaming all over Cena Vs Umaga, and Cena Vs HBK at Rumble and Mania respectively. Both of these matches were truly awful. Nothing will convince me otherwise. Cena HBK at Raw is a different story. They needed to do that match to redeem themselves after a ****ty WM Main event.

Truly awful? Someone's been hanging around the ROH smark forums a little too much. The most respected wrestling commentators have commended these matches. If they had happened in ROH you'd be fauning all over them.
    gimmick wrote:
    As for the best in 2007 being WWE, thats just plain wrong, even TNA have had as many good matches as WWE thus far.

Name one match from TNA that was as good.
    gimmick wrote:
    The best wrestling, that I have seen so far in 2007 is in ROH, with some amazing matches involving Roderick Strong, The Briscoes, Morishima, Samoa Joe, Nigel McGuinness. Hell, Ive seen more good matches in Pro Wrestling NOAH in 2007, and i dont even watch Japan all that often.

Please. We were told by the ROH smarks a few years ago that CM Punk was the greatest wrestler in the world yet he's not had one truly stellar match in WWE yet.

Talented wrestlers? Sure. The best? Hardly. ROH is the wrestling equivalent of Ronaldo. A lot of hype but if you want the cream of the crop you look elsewhere.

Funny how guys like Monty Brown get lauded in TNA yet they come to the big leagues and end up being as green as grass.
    Give up right here joe, seriously, MrNiceGuy needs to change his name to MrI'mAlwaysRight. You'll discover this in time. ;)

Ooh someone sounds bitter. VR, you sound like you're having indigestion problems from all that humble pie you were forced to eat. ;)
    joe123 wrote:
    Finlay is good but he looks to old to be anything now. William Regal? Are you serious?! Ha!

Yeah I'm not going to bother debating with you, mate. :) Keep supporting wrestling though. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The most respected wrestling commentators have commended these matches.

Yep, I sure have!

Seriously though, you only need a pair of eyes never mind be some sort of wrestling commentator to see how good the WWE have been in the ring this year. People mightn't always like the story lines but they have been churning out one very good match after another. And apparently, we're gonna get more tonight on Smackdown.

As for the rest of the argument, I'm not even gonna go there, at least for now!

Please. We were told by the ROH smarks a few years ago that CM Punk was the greatest wrestler in the world yet he's not had one truly stellar match in WWE yet.

Talented wrestlers? Sure. The best? Hardly. ROH is the wrestling equivalent of Ronaldo. A lot of hype but if you want the cream of the crop you look elsewhere.

Funny how guys like Monty Brown get lauded in TNA yet they come to the big leagues and end up being as green as grass.

I have to disagree here. Punk has clearly been instructed to tone down his wrestling on WWE tv. I've seen enough of him to know what he can and can't do. He hasn't had any bad matches in WWE from what I've seen anyway. No other wrestler has entertained me as much in the last 5 years, it'd be a bit too much of a coincidence if he lost some of his talent as soon as he started appearing on tv

Judging on what I have seen from 2006 (since I've seen no ROH this year), the best wrestlers in the world are in ROH and NOAH. Maybe there's guys more talented in WWE, but they didn't show that to me. WWE has put on some great wrestling this year, but I doubt they've been as consistently good as ROH

As for Monty Brown, I've never liked him. I've always found him boring and his promos are always real awkward. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the general consensus when he was in TNA was that there were wrestlers much more talented than him there

I didn't like the Cena/Umaga match at all. The WM main event was good, I called it Cena's best match at the time. Their match a few weeks ago was better, but I thought Edge and Orton had an even better match last week

Fozzy wrote:
    I have to disagree here. Punk has clearly been instructed to tone down his wrestling on WWE tv. I've seen enough of him to know what he can and can't do. He hasn't had any bad matches in WWE from what I've seen anyway. No other wrestler has entertained me as much in the last 5 years, it'd be a bit too much of a coincidence if he lost some of his talent as soon as he started appearing on tv

Judging on what I have seen from 2006 (since I've seen no ROH this year), the best wrestlers in the world are in ROH and NOAH. Maybe there's guys more talented in WWE, but they didn't show that to me. WWE has put on some great wrestling this year, but I doubt they've been as consistently good as ROH

As for Monty Brown, I've never liked him. I've always found him boring and his promos are always real awkward. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the general consensus when he was in TNA was that there were wrestlers much more talented than him there

I didn't like the Cena/Umaga match at all. The WM main event was good, I called it Cena's best match at the time. Their match a few weeks ago was better, but I thought Edge and Orton had an even better match last week

Punk has done well and has entertained me and you're right in that he hasn't had a bad match but why hasn't he had that great match which gets fans buzzing? You say he's been asked to tone things down but to their credit they've allowed him use the Go-To-Sleep used by Kenta in ROH and they've pushed him very well these last few months. He has to deliver on his end. Punk was hailed as the second coming of Shawn Michaels by ROH fans but that has been shown to have been very premature. I do like him but come on, people let hype get to their heads.

You say you doubt the WWE has been as consistently good as ROH but I've not heard the Meltzers of this world lauding any match of theirs as highly as the Michaels/Cena match. I've listened to Alvarez's audio show too and he's said nothing but good things about WWE calling it their best year in a long time and hailing the Raw match weeks ago.

The only ones who seem to have a problem giving the WWE their due are TNA/ROH die-hards. Why? I don't know what more they want from the likes of Cena.

I've not heard the Meltzers of this world lauding any match of theirs as highly as the Michaels/Cena match. I've listened to Alvarez's audio show too and he's said nothing but good things about WWE calling it their best year in a long time and hailing the Raw match weeks ago.

Well then your not listening to him or reading his newsletter. He's talked about ROH extremely highly.

He's given a load of their matches very high ratings. I wish I was up on the product and be able to tell you which ones but I'm afraid I can't.

Alvarez is less gushing towards ROH but on the whole for the past 6 months he's been covering it, he's generally been very positive towards it, especially Bryan Danielson.

Also Bruce Mitchell on the torch, said the dragon gate 6 man match from ROH was the best match he's ever seen.

EDIT, from wikipedia: Wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer has given full five-star ratings to several ROH matches, including the Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk sixty-minute bout from Joe vs. Punk II on October 16, 2004; Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi from Joe vs. Kobashi on October 1, 2005; and Do FIXER (Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi and Ryo Saito) vs. Blood Generation (CIMA, Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino) from Supercard of Honor on March 31, 2006. At the time of Joe vs. Punk II, Meltzer had not rated any wrestling match in the US the full five-stars since 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Truly awful? Someone's been hanging around the ROH smark forums a little too much.
    How come when someone states that their personal preference is ROH, the word smark gets thrown around. Aren't you just a WWE smark?
    The most respected wrestling commentators have commended these matches. If they had happened in ROH you'd be fauning all over them.
    Well why don't you state your own opinions not rely on what your buddy Dave Meltzer says.
    I'm not going to get into an argument about whether the Cena Michaels match was better than Joe Morishima or anything, that's apples and oranges, but ROH, and other indies for that matter, have put on matches of equal, better quality. Worse too of course. When they happen, people like gimmick and I come on here and tell everyone, if others check them out, good for them. Maybe you should too.
    Name one match from TNA that was as good.
    Christian Joe was terrific in my opinion. It was a solid example of ferocious challenger getting outdone by the cocky heel.
    When your stuck in the 3rd rate show fighting glorified jobbers every week its kind of tough to pull out a 5 star match. CM Punk has the potential to steal shows if given the chance. Besides, who said he's the greatest wrestler? Plenty of people have been on here over the year or so that I've been posting saying he's good, he has potential, charisma etc. He's far from the greatest wrestler, he's no Kenta Kobashi. But he has had a 5 star match, acclaimed by Meltzer himself. Cena hasn't.

Who won both player of the year awards this year?

Given both companies resources, in my opinion, ROH is by far more impressive than WWE. It is a minor league, but a minor league that people give a sh*t about. I for one would definitely prefer to support and give my money to ROH, and I'm not alone there.

I'm asking for it now, isn't that right VR! MNG, most of the time I agree with you but recently you have irritating me, and others, in these forums, putting your own opinion across stronger, and not heeding what others say. You have to remember it's peoples opinions they are giving here, they don't say what they do as if it was fact.

Well then your not listening to him or reading his newsletter. He's talked about ROH extremely highly.

He's given a load of their matches very high ratings. I wish I was up on the product and be able to tell you which ones but I'm afraid I can't.

Alvarez is less gushing towards ROH but on the whole for the past 6 months he's been covering it, he's generally been very positive towards it, especially Bryan Danielson.

Also Bruce Mitchell on the torch, said the dragon gate 6 man match from ROH was the best match he's ever seen.

EDIT, from wikipedia: Wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer has given full five-star ratings to several ROH matches, including the Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk sixty-minute bout from Joe vs. Punk II on October 16, 2004; Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi from Joe vs. Kobashi on October 1, 2005; and Do FIXER (Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi and Ryo Saito) vs. Blood Generation (CIMA, Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino) from Supercard of Honor on March 31, 2006. At the time of Joe vs. Punk II, Meltzer had not rated any wrestling match in the US the full five-stars since 1997.

That's all well and good but none of those matches are from this year. Has Meltzer raved about any from this year? Not to my knowledge.

Even I as a non-ROH fan went out of my way to check out some of the great ROH matches such as the Joe-Punk trilogy but I've not heard talk of great matches from ROH at all. Maybe just maybe it's because WWE are putting on the best wrestling in '07?
    Double C wrote:
    How come when someone states that their personal preference is ROH, the word smark gets thrown around. Aren't you just a WWE smark?

I don't turn my nose up at good wrestling. The word smark probably gets used often when people come out with farcical views that the Cena/Umaga and Cena/HBK matches were "truly awful".
    Double C wrote:
    Well why don't you state your own opinions not rely on what your buddy Dave Meltzer says.

Meltzer's not my buddy but he is someone who most of the ROH fans treat with respect on account of him giving ROH their props as Vince touched on above. My own opinions have been stated plenty of times.
    Double C wrote:
    I'm not going to get into an argument about whether the Cena Michaels match was better than Joe Morishima or anything, that's apples and oranges, but ROH, and other indies for that matter, have put on matches of equal, better quality. Worse too of course. When they happen, people like gimmick and I come on here and tell everyone, if others check them out, good for them. Maybe you should too.

As I said above I don't turn my nose up at good wrestling and in the past I have checked out ROH's matches. I wouldn't regard ROH's matches as "truly awful" as it would be insulting to people's intelligence.
    Double C wrote:
    Christian Joe was terrific in my opinion. It was a solid example of ferocious challenger getting outdone by the cocky heel.

It was good but you really think it was as good as WWE's efforts?
    Double C wrote:
    When your stuck in the 3rd rate show fighting glorified jobbers every week its kind of tough to pull out a 5 star match.

No one mentioned having a 5 star match but he hasn't had any matches of real note in WWE, has he? Hell even Test had an Extreme Rules match with Van Dam that got people talking!
    Double C wrote:
    CM Punk has the potential to steal shows if given the chance.

Yeah if only he got the chance to showcase his talents (Leaving aside Survivor Series, December to Dismember, Wrestlemania 23 etc...).
    Double C wrote:
    Besides, who said he's the greatest wrestler? Plenty of people have been on here over the year or so that I've been posting saying he's good, he has potential, charisma etc. He's far from the greatest wrestler, he's no Kenta Kobashi. But he has had a 5 star match, acclaimed by Meltzer himself. Cena hasn't.

Fair enough but Cena has had four 4 star matches this year by my count and that's more than most in the world yet ROH fans seem to regard Cena as the Antichrist of wrestling. I would say Cena has had the best match of the year so far on a show broadcast around the world which is something Punk and the vastly overrated Kobashi can't say. ;)
    Double C wrote:
    Who won both player of the year awards this year?

I'm not suggesting Ron's not talented (I am a Utd fan) but he's not the world's best as the Milan game showed. Reality is Kaka to quote Dunphy and in wrestling, Reality is Shawn Michaels.
    Double C wrote:
    Given both companies resources, in my opinion, ROH is by far more impressive than WWE. It is a minor league, but a minor league that people give a sh*t about. I for one would definitely prefer to support and give my money to ROH, and I'm not alone there.

It's a minor league that some people give a sh*t about. Obviously a lot of the TNA contracted wrestlers aren't too enamoured with it. :) Let's see how many buys they do.

The thing is ROH fans will watch the WWE product whereas it's rarely vice-versa with the majority of WWE fans. Reminds me of the time Punk signed his WWE contract on the ROH belt and all the ROH die-hards in the crowd told him "you'll be wrestling Funaki!", "you'll be doing the Masterlock challenge" etc. Oh how knowledgeable they were about the WWE product which was supposedly second-best to ROH!
    Double C wrote:
    I'm asking for it now, isn't that right VR! MNG, most of the time I agree with you but recently you have irritating me, and others, in these forums, putting your own opinion across stronger, and not heeding what others say. You have to remember it's peoples opinions they are giving here, they don't say what they do as if it was fact.

I thought I've always been irritating? Let's face it, who haven't I pissed off on this place?!

I do respect the opinions of people but lately I feel some people have been making some truly ridiculous comments.

I don't think any WWE smark (which I proudly call myself), can say Punk has been given the chance to put on a 5-star match. But put him in the ring with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Edge, Undertaker or any other decent WWE superstar and I think then we'll see a 5-star match out of him. We won't see a great match out of him, while he is stuck on ECW, fighting guys who couldn't put on 5-star matches ( I don't give a **** about what people say about RVD), even if their lives depended on it.

• Advertisement

That's all well and good but none of those matches are from this year. Has Meltzer raved about any from this year? Not to my knowledge.

Just from my memory he rated highly the return dragon gate match from a month ago. I also heard him saying he liked the Joe Morishima match too.

I think your deliberately winding people up.

No one mentioned having a 5 star match but he hasn't had any matches of real note in WWE, has he? Hell even Test had an Extreme Rules match with Van Dam that got people talking!

I seem to remember his MITB qualifier match (the one where he did the 'welcome to chicago motherf*cker' and AFAIK debuted the 'go to sleep'). It's prob my fave ECW match yet.
    Yeah if only he got the chance to showcase his talents (Leaving aside Survivor Series, December to Dismember, Wrestlemania 23 etc...).

Ok, I'm gonna deal with each of these matches one by one. Survivor Series - He was part of a ten-man tag match (which included DX, Rated RKO, The Hardys, Nitro, Helms, Knox aswel as Punk), so I don't see how he was going to put on a 5-star match, especially with HHH and HBK in it.

December to Dismember - Vince (or Heyman, doesn't really matter) made the call to eliminate him first. I've never seen any other wrestler put on a 5-star match in about 10 mins (didn't see D2D, so I'm not sure how long he actually lasted).

WrestleMania 23 - A lot of superstars here who where gonna win the match above Punk. He did alright, Edge really stole that match when he got put through the ladder.

At Judgment Day, it'll be his first one on one PPV match and also, it'll be with a superstar with a decent amount of talent, so i'm gonna wait until I see that match before I make up my mind on Punk. Even though I already think he is immensely talented.

I think your deliberately winding people up.

Well if you think that you're dead wrong but you think what you like.
    Minto wrote:
    I seem to remember his MITB qualifier match (the one where he did the 'welcome to chicago motherf*cker' and AFAIK debuted the 'go to sleep'). It's prob my fave ECW match yet.

Was that the one against Nitro? I didn't think that was too different from the rest of his matches.
    Minto wrote:
    Ok, I'm gonna deal with each of these matches one by one. Survivor Series - He was part of a ten-man tag match (which included DX, Rated RKO, The Hardys, Nitro, Helms, Knox aswel as Punk), so I don't see how he was going to put on a 5-star match, especially with HHH and HBK in it.

December to Dismember - Vince (or Heyman, doesn't really matter) made the call to eliminate him first. I've never seen any other wrestler put on a 5-star match in about 10 mins (didn't see D2D, so I'm not sure how long he actually lasted).

WrestleMania 23 - A lot of superstars here who where gonna win the match above Punk. He did alright, Edge really stole that match when he got put through the ladder.

At Judgment Day, it'll be his first one on one PPV match and also, it'll be with a superstar with a decent amount of talent, so i'm gonna wait until I see that match before I make up my mind on Punk. Even though I already think he is immensely talented.

I'm not saying he should have had a 5-star match I just said that none of his matches have really got people buzzing yet. Most of his televised matches on ECW have been the same sort of thing - kicks, bulldog, clotheslines, finisher.

He has potential to be a big star and I like him but in my opinion he's not the finished article yet as many fans have previously claimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

joe123 wrote:
    Just started watching wrestling again.....

There was Jericho,Ken Shamrock,Steve Blackman,Kurt Angle just to name a few.

STEVE BLACKMAN - all I can say is LMAO

Ooh someone sounds bitter. VR, you sound like you're having indigestion problems from all that humble pie you were forced to eat. ;)

Not by a little smark on a board who bases his opinion as fact, rather than doing his research, and acknowledging actual facts. At first i thought it was just me, but it seems i'm obviously not the one who has this issue with you. And when it's pointed out, you feel that, for some reason or other (probably your post count), you talk down to and get all arrogant to other posters because they don't agree with you.

Like typical message boards, i agree with some posts, and disagree with some. And usually in the case of the latter, it can be rationally discussed with both parties usually listening to reason, but with you, it's a case of "i'm always right, fact! And you clearly don't know what you're talking about!"

Which is why i've no f*cking time for you anymore :)
    Most of us provide discussion, you on the other hand, just provide argument

VR!

There's not to be any personal insults thrown around, I don't want it descending to where I have to ban someone

Meltzer rated Joe vs Morishima 4 and a half stars this year. Same as the hour long Cena vs Michaels match

yet ROH fans seem to regard Cena as the Antichrist of wrestling

If you were to have a read around the ROH forums, you'd see that that's not the case at all. Sure, there's some people who hate him, which is no different to a lot of WWE fans. But the majority opinion seems to be that Cena's good at what he does, and while they wouldn't like to see him anywhere near ROH, they think he's doing a good job in WWE

And Kobashi is not overrated in the slightest, I think he's underrated because it is impossible to rate him on the same scale that any other wrestler is judged on, he's just on another level. Seriously though, he's brilliant and I can't wait to see him return this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I'm not saying he should have had a 5-star match I just said that none of his matches have really got people buzzing yet. Most of his televised matches on ECW have been the same sort of thing - kicks, bulldog, clotheslines, finisher.

He has potential to be a big star and I like him but in my opinion he's not the finished article yet as many fans have previously claimed.
    Yeh, no-one has been buzzing about Punk at all...

Is that why people were chanting for him instead of DX and the Hardys at SS?

I've found his stuff with Holly, Richards, Knox and a host of others to be entertaining. Not stellar. But far more watchable than a lot of the mid-card stuff WWE put on.

I think the way you went off calling people ROH smarks was out of line. People are allowed make up their own opinions. I rarely watch ROH, but I thought Cena's matches with Umaga were like going to the panto they were so juvenile and his match with Michaels at WM was completely overshadowed by Taker/Batista. His match against Michaels on RAW was superb, and I give him credit for that, but he has a long way to go before I he makes up for the early years.

Fozzy wrote:
    There's not to be any personal insults thrown around, I don't want it descending to where I have to ban someone

Where was the personal insult exactly? All i did was say that i've no time for him and explain why. I didn't call him any names. I thought i was quite civil to be honest :)

VR!

I was just reminding everyone. If you had made a personal insult then you'd have been warned

Fair point, cheers for clearing it up. :)
    VR!

Not by a little smark on a board who bases his opinion as fact, rather than doing his research, and acknowledging actual facts. At first i thought it was just me, but it seems i'm obviously not the one who has this issue with you. And when it's pointed out, you feel that, for some reason or other (probably your post count), you talk down to and get all arrogant to other posters because they don't agree with you.

LOL, If anyone here bases their opinions as fact it's you. Let's take a look at this exchange from the "10 reasons to hate Vince McMahon thread" on your view that Triple H had not botched his pedigree on Garner...
    This is what is known as your opinion. My opinion, and presumably the opinion of people who make vids on wrestling botches which includes that move, is that it was a botch. I hope my comment about you being learned about wrestling hasn't gone to your head. ;)
    Most people who make vids on botches have about as much insider knowledge as yourself and i, which in turn, doesn't count for sh*t. As i said, by the looks of it, the recipient of that move was equally to blame, and thats not my opinion, thats what the actual footage LOOKS like, try all you wan't, but you can't dispute it.

Apparently we can't dispute what you say and everything that you say must be taken as Gospel. Sorry but I disagree. ;)
    Which is why i've no f*cking time for you anymore :)
    Most of us provide discussion, you on the other hand, just provide argument

I really don't care if you have time for me. You seem to have some worrying temper problems.
    Where was the personal insult exactly? All i did was say that i've no time for him and explain why. I didn't call him any names. I thought i was quite civil to be honest.

Well you've referred to me as an "ass" and a "mutant" in the recent past so you can see why Fozzy might be concerned.

Funny then how you feel you are the one to provide discussion whereas I just provide arguments! Funny stuff.

• Advertisement

b.ie polar wrote:
    Yeh, no-one has been buzzing about Punk at all...

Is that why people were chanting for him instead of DX and the Hardys at SS?

I said no one was buzzing about his WWE matches.
    b.ie polar wrote:
    I've found his stuff with Holly, Richards, Knox and a host of others to be entertaining. Not stellar. But far more watchable than a lot of the mid-card stuff WWE put on.

Well then you agree with me? I said earlier he had not had any stellar matches. I'm not saying he's been bad.
    b.ie polar wrote:
    I think the way you went off calling people ROH smarks was out of line. People are allowed make up their own opinions. I rarely watch ROH, but I thought Cena's matches with Umaga were like going to the panto they were so juvenile and his match with Michaels at WM was completely overshadowed by Taker/Batista. His match against Michaels on RAW was superb, and I give him credit for that, but he has a long way to go before I he makes up for the early years.

Well I disagree totally with your views on those matches but c'est la vie. Re: the smark forum comment, I've seen these kinds of views on so many forums. It annoys me to see people not giving Cena credit.
    Fozzy wrote:
    If you were to have a read around the ROH forums, you'd see that that's not the case at all. Sure, there's some people who hate him, which is no different to a lot of WWE fans. But the majority opinion seems to be that Cena's good at what he does, and while they wouldn't like to see him anywhere near ROH, they think he's doing a good job in WWE

But Fozzy I do read around ROH forums. Here's a comment from an ROH fan on the Cena/Michaels match on Raw from London - "It was good for a WWE match".

But Fozzy I do read around ROH forums. Here's a comment from an ROH fan on the Cena/Michaels match on Raw from London - "It was good for a WWE match".

That's just one person's opinion. If you look at this thread, which was posted after the 60 minute match, you can see that the majority of ROH fans have given Cena credit for his ability, definitely moreso than a lot of WWE fans have. ROH fans and anti-WWE fans are not the same people

Well you've referred to me as an "ass" and a "mutant" in the recent past so you can see why Fozzy might be concerned.

Funny then how you feel you are the one to provide discussion whereas I just provide arguments! Funny stuff.

Well given the fact that i referred to ALL ECW fans as mutants, so that wasn't a direct insult, as for the former, i said you acted like one, not that you were one.

Proof that you do actually have problems reading what i type, which as you'd say "funny stuff", considering that you actually quote em!

As you'd say... keep up!
    VR!

Fozzy wrote:
    That's just one person's opinion. If you look at this thread, which was posted after the 60 minute match, you can see that the majority of ROH fans have given Cena credit for his ability, definitely moreso than a lot of WWE fans have. ROH fans and anti-WWE fans are not the same people.

Well to their credit many do give Cena his due but the thread is called 'Could Cena work in ROH' and if you read on, for example to page 3, you see the kind of thing that I'm more familiar with:
    All of this is ridiculous. Cena is a decent wrestler who can do the fundamentals as well as anyone, but that is about it. He has been too souped up on sports entertainment to ever come back. If Matt Hardy was unable to work in ROH, Cena doesn't have a shot.

All of Cena's 'great' matches everyone talks about are matches where the other guy carried Cena through it. Michaels carried Cena last night, Umaga carried him at RR, and Edge carried him all last year. Like I said, pretty good fundamentals, but nothing ecceptional, and certainly nothing anyone should pay to see.

In ROH: Solid Mid carder...BJ Whitmer level.

This is the kind of BS I'm talking about. Even some of the ROH fans acknowledge the unnecesary hatred he faces from most of the ROH fans:
    I'd say probably not considering most fans wouldn't even give him a chance. However, I love Cena and I think he'd be a great mid-card talent.

Another guy:
    People hate on him for absolutely no reason, and most haven't actually seen him work a match since 2005.

See what I mean? I'm not going to tar ALL fans with the same brush but it appears to me that most ROH fans despise the guy for no good reason.
    Well given the fact that i referred to ALL ECW fans as mutants, so that wasn't a direct insult,

Er, no. What you actually said was:
    Again, given books and shoot interviews from those THAT WERE THERE, as opposed to an opinion of an ECW mutant fan who thinks his word is gospel, i'll have no problem on which side i'll pick. No offence.

That is a direct insult but don't worry I'm a big boy and I can handle it.
    as for the former, i said you acted like one, not that you were one.

Again you said:
    i'm just claiming that my explanation makes more sense, which it does. As opposed to your Triple H hating ass

Such hostility! :(
    Proof that you do actually have problems reading what i type, which as you'd say "funny stuff", considering that you actually quote em!

As you'd say... keep up!
    VR!

Yeah OK, see above. Clearly you have as much time for me as I do for you. I'm sure we'll both manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

antifaggorty-1.jpg

Uh yeah, that was insightful :)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Uh yeah, that was insightful :)
    VR!

I certainly thought so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Would it be okay for me to call MNG a WWE fanboy Smark as his opinion differs greatly from mine?

The reason I felt Umaga Cena was truly awful was because it was a basic hardcore match. I do not like hardcore matches, rarely have I enjoyed one. The reason I felt HBK Cena I was truly awful was because it was meant to be the main event of WM. It was a poor effort by both, and Cenas blatant no sell pissed me off no end. Wow, see that, I made my own judgement on 2 matches without listening to other opinions to influence. Some that you, MNG, are still very prone to doing.

As for better, or at least as good as, TNA matches, well Joe Vs Christian, Daniels Vs Sabin, Daniels Vs Lynn to name but 3.
    MNG wrote:
    This is the kind of BS I'm talking about. Even some of the ROH fans acknowledge the unnecesary hatred he faces from most of the ROH fans:

Why is it BS? So, they are discussing whther they like Cena or not, and some have offered opinions as to how he would fit in ROH. Why is that wrong? Are you suddenly a smark if you dont like Cena?
    I said no one was buzzing about his WWE matches.

The reason for this is very simple. WWE books short matches 99% of the time. Not even HBK, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit earned the reputations off very short matches like the ones Punk has been put in so far. RThe great WWE matches have gone on for 15+ minutes, that is where these guys excelled. Punk has not been given this oppurtunity just yet. he will prove soon enough whether the indy hype surrounding him is justified or not. Personally I think he will prove it, as having seen alot of his indy match, he impressed the hell out of me every time. Oh, but there I go again being smarkish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Well then you agree with me? I said earlier he had not had any stellar matches. I'm not saying he's been bad.

Earlier you said

So, yes, I am agreeing with you in that I don't think he has had any stellar matches, but I disagree with the inference that this automatically disqualifies him from being "the greatest wrestler in the world". The reasons why I disagree are contained in my earlier post.

Well I disagree totally with your views on those matches but c'est la vie. Re: the smark forum comment, I've seen these kinds of views on so many forums. It annoys me to see people not giving Cena credit.
    But just because you've seen these comments before doesn't mean you can dismiss them every time as coming from ROH smarks. And so what if not everyone likes Cena as much as you?[/QUOTE]

gimmick wrote:
    Would it be okay for me to call MNG a WWE fanboy Smark as his opinion differs greatly from mine?

If that's what you think, sure.
    gimmick wrote:
    The reason I felt Umaga Cena was truly awful was because it was a basic hardcore match. I do not like hardcore matches, rarely have I enjoyed one. The reason I felt HBK Cena I was truly awful was because it was meant to be the main event of WM. It was a poor effort by both, and Cenas blatant no sell pissed me off no end. Wow, see that, I made my own judgement on 2 matches without listening to other opinions to influence. Some that you, MNG, are still very prone to doing.

You think other opinions influence my own? After every PPV I watch I send in my thoughts to the main wrestling websites, plus this forum I might add, without having checked out what other people have said. It just turns out that the most respected wrestling minds agree with me whereas...well, I don't think I've read anybody besides ROH/TNA die-hards suggest Michaels/Cena at WM23 was "truly awful". But hey, you think what you like.
    gimmick wrote:
    As for better, or at least as good as, TNA matches, well Joe Vs Christian, Daniels Vs Sabin, Daniels Vs Lynn to name but 3.

You must be joking? Surely? A case can be made for the first one but the other two? Come on.
    gimmick wrote:
    Why is it BS? So, they are discussing whther they like Cena or not, and some have offered opinions as to how he would fit in ROH. Why is that wrong? Are you suddenly a smark if you dont like Cena?

It was BS based on the laughably bad argument put forward to support it. The guy I quoted said Cena had been "too souped up on sports entertainment to ever come back" ignoring the fact that two "suped up sports entertainment" wrestlers had put on a near 60 minute wrestling clinic which most in the wrestling world were raving about.

He also went on to suggest that Cena had been carried to every good match he's been in (surely it takes two to tango?) and that had he been in ROH, wait for it - he'd be a solid mid carder along the lines of BJ Whitmer (who?)

Yes gimmick, in my mind it is BS to suggest that the most charismatic wrestler of modern times, who has had by my count four critically acclaimed matches this year, and who is adored by many fans the world over, would amount to just a mid-card talent in a promotion which is in the minor leagues of pro wrestling and which, by my guess, is known by at most around 5% of wrestling fans worldwide.
    gimmick wrote:
    The reason for this is very simple. WWE books short matches 99% of the time. Not even HBK, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit earned the reputations off very short matches like the ones Punk has been put in so far. RThe great WWE matches have gone on for 15+ minutes, that is where these guys excelled. Punk has not been given this oppurtunity just yet. he will prove soon enough whether the indy hype surrounding him is justified or not. Personally I think he will prove it, as having seen alot of his indy match, he impressed the hell out of me every time. Oh, but there I go again being smarkish.

Is smarkish another word for forgetful? I seem to recall CM Punk being placed in a big match at Survivor Series, the main event of December to Dismember and the MITB match at Wrestlemania 23. Did he blow anyone away with his performances? Did he get the wrestling world buzzing? No. Didn't Shelton Benjamin for example do just that in his first two MITB matches? Yes.

The majority of Punk's matches have been short but that doesn't explain why all his matches seem to go exactly the same way. Most wrestlers have signature moves for their finish but most of Punk's matches have been the same old story throughout - kicks, clothesline, bulldog, maybe a clothesline off the top rope if we're lucky. Hardly stellar stuff.

And it's worth noting that the guy has been given longer matches on other programs. He had a match with Kennedy on Smackdown I recall prior to WM23 and if anything, Kennedy looked the more impressive.
    b.ie polar wrote:
    So, yes, I am agreeing with you in that I don't think he has had any stellar matches, but I disagree with the inference that this automatically disqualifies him from being "the greatest wrestler in the world". The reasons why I disagree are contained in my earlier post.

Well I am of the view that if you are not putting on stellar matches then you ought to be 'automatically disqualified' from being labelled the best wrestler in the world. A 5 minute Shawn Michaels match is going to deliver way more than a 5 minute CM Punk match. Do you dispute that?
    b.ie polar wrote:
    But just because you've seen these comments before doesn't mean you can dismiss them every time as coming from ROH smarks.

I don't think I've done it every time.
    b.ie polar wrote:
    And so what if not everyone likes Cena as much as you?

But this is a discussion forum. If there's a difference in opinion between people what's the problem in, you know...discussing it? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement