Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent - Help needed with new washing machine

Options
  • 10-05-2007 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 day old new washing machine. My old 7 year old one suddenly developed a smell like burning rubber so I bought a new one in case the motor was burning out. Problem is I'm now getting the same thing with my new machine :eek: I noticed the faint smell last night but thought I was imagining it. Tonight when the wash was over and I was waiting for the door lock to open I noticed wisps of smoke coming through the door. When I opened it there was quite a lot of smoke and that smell again. What the hell is this? Could I be that unlucky? Is it the motor or could there be a simpler explanation. The first wash was fine and the second just had the smell. HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

it sounds to me like you have the hot water supply connected to the cold water supply and ur water is coming into ur machine at upwards of 70 degrees causeing the clothes to come out hot -higher the temp the rubber hoses will or can smell like they burning including the door seal -check this problem first as it not a fault with the new machine cause the fault was there with ur last
    please post the model number and i can tell u more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Hi, it's a Beko WMA 520S. It just has the cold water pipe connected as it heats the water itself. The old machine had the 2 pipes connected. The guy who put this one in disconnected the hot water one. I only had the problem once with the old machine and that's when I decided to get a new one rather than risk it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Is it smoke or steam??

If it's smoke then more than likely you have an electrical problem and should get an electrician in pronto. I wouldn't use the machine again until a spark has had a look at it if this is the case.

i would nearly gaurantee he connected the blue pipe thinking it was the cold feed but its actually connected to the hot feed -put ur hand on the pipe if u can and u should feel heat -
    if it was an external electrical fault it couldnt get smoke into ur machine and if its the same as ur last machine it doesnt stand to reason that the new one can have the same fault as the old -i have come across this a good few times and can be fine when ur central heating is off but when ur heating or immersion is on ur water temp is over 70 degrees rising -

Ballyman wrote:
    Is it smoke or steam??

If it's smoke then more than likely you have an electrical problem and should get an electrician in pronto. I wouldn't use the machine again until a spark has had a look at it if this is the case.

sparks arnt qualified to work on machines only to supply power to it -but i suppose to be fair most washing machine repairers arnt qualified either

• Advertisement

knighted wrote:
    i would nearly gaurantee he connected the blue pipe thinking it was the cold feed but its actually connected to the hot feed -put ur hand on the pipe if u can and u should feel heat -

I can't get at the pipe without pulling out the machine. You could be right though. When I disconnected the old machine I discovered that when I turned off the water under the sink and removed the red pipe from the back of the machine, the water gushed out like a tap. The valves on the pipes seemed to have been connected the wrong way round, because the water was still coming out of them. I had to re-attach the pipes then switch off the valves on the pipes (which I didn't even know were there!). It was panic stations all round! How come I got 7 years washing out of the old machine with this only happening once though?

Pulled out the machine and felt the pipe. It doesn't feel warm. :confused: I was doing a 40 degree wash and the door didn't feel warm until about half way through which suggests that the water was cold and was heating in the machine as it should. It wasn't steam that came out, it was wispy smoke like you get when you blow out a match. The old machine had the smell but not the smoke Totally confused now :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Get a service man out to have a look. It sounds like an electrical fault, or maybe drum rubbing off something.

Should I ring the shop I bought it from? Do you think they'd send someone out to have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Definitely get a service engineer out. THere's too many variables and this is why you get a warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Get onto the shop you got it from. They will organise a service man to call out to you. Otherwise you may end up paying for the service yourself.

Advertisement