Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English-Higher Level-Poetry-Robert Frost-Mending wall

Options
  • 10-05-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

"Could this poem be viewed as symbolic or political in any way??

Anyone got any basis for my answer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Political
    The two characters could be seen as representing America and the Soviet Union in the Cold War. The poet (America) is more forward thinking whereas the neighbour is a bit backward. The poet also went to the Soviet Union to read out this poem, I'd say it went down a bomb.

The barrier can also be viewed politically as barriers have caused or been associated with wars (e.g. Berlin Wall).

Symbolically
    Same as above really, the poet symbolises a more forward thinking person whereas the neighbour, who relies on his father's sayings, seems a bit backward and unwilling to move on. This can be seen as the poet questions the barriers while the neighbour says twice "good fences make good neighbours".

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Yes.

Only joking! Start with a talk about "good fences make good neighbours" but take that on a broader level, like not just between these two people, but why people need division at all, then political things like northern ireland, possibly racism/keeping to your own group (i never really venture down that road when analysing it, but if you're stuck for ideas!)

Think of it as kind of like the Frost's version of John Lennon's imagine!

[Edit] I added it to the wiki if it helps... (or if you'd care to ad some more!) http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Mending_Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Also the 'something' whick breaks the wall could be interpreted as nature and thus this suggests that walls ,whether they be physical or metaphorical, are unnatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I love this poem. Chances of Frost coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

The two characters could be seen as representing America and the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

I agree with you on this but I'd avoid any specific references. I wrote and answer on "spring Pools" and said that it could be an analogy on a war - I can't remember which one I mentioned - but my teacher said not to be specific. If you want to relate it to a war, just say it could represent war in general. Well that's just my advice.

Symbolically
    I tend to focus on how the neighbour's behaviour represents the atavistic desire to protect oneself and one's land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Political
    The two characters could be seen as representing America and the Soviet Union in the Cold War. The poet (America) is more forward thinking whereas the neighbour is a bit backward. The poet also went to the Soviet Union to read out this poem, I'd say it went down a bomb.

The barrier can also be viewed politically as barriers have caused or been associated with wars (e.g. Berlin Wall).
    QUOTE]

I disagree with your interpretation of the poem as a slight on the soviet union. The only reason that that you percieve the USSR as backward is due to your own capitalist predujice(but thats a bit off topic). More to the point the soviet union was not known for having been so happy to have thought of father's proverb that they repeat it 'good fences make good neighbours'. Communism was a rejection of Russia's tsarist past, not a celebration of it. Although Stalin admired Ivan the terrible, for obvious reasons.;)

Also I feel the poem shows Frost to be quite a radical, 'but why?' He has no tolerence for the ignorance of his neighbour 'he moves in darkness it seems to me' and is ubercritical of him; he is a 'savage'. Such desire to break down the differences between human beings would certainly not suggest a belief in the capitalist system, which to this day encourages division and strife. Great poem though. Although I prefer 'Out,Out':D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

dan719 wrote:
    I disagree with your interpretation of the poem as a slight on the soviet union. The only reason that that you percieve the USSR as backward is due to your own capitalist predujice(but thats a bit off topic). More to the point the soviet union was not known for having been so happy to have thought of father's proverb that they repeat it 'good fences make good neighbours'. Communism was a rejection of Russia's tsarist past, not a celebration of it. Although Stalin admired Ivan the terrible, for obvious reasons.;)
    Jesus, don't shoot the messenger. Twas the teacher who told us to use this example and when I wrote an essay on Frost, that point was the only one that got highlighted as being a good point. I think I'll stick to my capitalist prejudices if the same happens in June. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Jesus, don't shoot the messenger. Twas the teacher who told us to use this example and when I wrote an essay on Frost, that point was the only one that got highlighted as being a good point. I think I'll stick to my capitalist prejudices if the same happens in June. ;)

Okay I take my post and slightly edit it to criticise your teacher. Please pass my message on.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Nehpets wrote:
    I love this poem. Chances of Frost coming up?

well i don't think he's come up since 2003 so there's a good chance i think. i also hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Yes my Frost answer got full marks from my teacher. Him, yeats or kavanagh would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

We didn't study this poem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Cover it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

The ideas about the symbolism here are great, so would anyone mind giving me a bit of an overview of other Frost points? Our teacher is useless and I'd love to have some backup for the ones I've come up with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Robert_Frost

There's a list of his poems on the LC course. There isn't much by way of themes/analysis on the site yet, but we should get around to adding it soon, and you can pitch in any of your own notes if you'd like!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

Looks like it'll be well worth reading when it gets online, but I don't know how useful my own ideas would be! Thanks!

Advertisement