Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann One way rip off

Options
  • 10-05-2007 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Went to book a one way train ticket from Dublin to Limerick and was unhappy to see the cost of this ticket €43. Now the return ticket is €50 which seems a bit close to me, I think there both way over priced for a relatively short journey. Sent a mail complaining and basically they said there not charging too much for a one way but actually discounting a return ticket. Thats nice of them eh. Anyway complaint mail and response below if anyone wants to read it.

Subject
    Excessive Cost of One Way Tickets

Details
    I would like to complain about the excessive cost of a one way ticket on your dublin to limerick route. A one way ticket cost €43 while a return ticket costs €50. I cannot see any justification for this, if you charge 50 for two trips 1 trip should cost 25? Also the price of this relatively short journey is extremely expensive 1 way or return in comparison to most other countries. I would like a response as to the reason for this.

Dear Mr. X

Thank you for your email.

As a semi-state organisation, Iarnrod Eireann operate DART, Commuter and Mainline rail services which gives rise to significant daily operating costs, as well as the costs associated with the provision and maintainence of rolling stock resources and track infrastructure. These costs are met through the generation of fares revenue and through Government subvention.

Iarnrod Eireann's current fares structure is primarily based on what is referred to as our National Fares Structure of Single fares which are historical and government controlled and sanctioned. It would not be commercially justifiable to charge twice the single fare for a return journey, so therefore a discount is applied for return tickets.

A process of review of our ticketing systems and technology is currently underway and as part of this process we will, in the next couple of years, be reviewing our current fares structures with regard to offering more flexibility (a wider choice of ticket/fare options) including examining the feasibility of introducing yield management type systems which many Airlines use. Updating our ticketing systems will be an ongoing process over the next number of years.

Comparisons with other European railways indicates that we are extremely competitive in our pricing, even more so when the factors of economies of scale and heavy state support, which is enjoyed by many of these networks, is taken into consideration.

With more of the benefits of investment reaching our customers this year and in the coming years, we will be delivering even better value for money in the future. In the interim period however, as a commercial organisation, we are committed to maintaining our current revenue stream utilising the fares structures as they currently exist.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Also the price of this relatively short journey is extremely expensive 1 way or return in comparison to most other countries. I would like a response as to the reason for this.

Just out of interest, do you write to other companies asking for them to justify the prices they charge?

While not supporting the the Ryanair way of dealing with customers, I think there's a point where companies need to politely tell customers where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I think its good to complain to companies when you feel they are overcharging for their services. Whats wrong with that? Thats why they have the Submit feedback/Complaint box on their site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Costs 11.50 or something like that for Waterford to Kilkenny and costs 12.00 for return, makes perfect sense! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While not supporting the the Ryanair way of dealing with customers, I think there's a point where companies need to politely tell customers where to go.

Ryanair is VERY different, there's a choice of airlines to get most places.
    But with rail your stuck with Irish Rail and no other choices, its a joke

Are you a motorist by any chance?
    If so, then how would you feel if their was only one insurance company and you had to fork out 6k per year for car insurance, In fairness, why should you ask the insurance company to justify their costs? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So what would you suggest - returns to be 2 x single fares ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Ya well why not or at least close to it, in any case its really expensive either return or single. I decided not to take the train anyway and to drive instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I suppose that they are trying to encourage round-way travel. Hence the cheaper return ticket price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It has always been this way,bus eireann are the same if not worse.Not sure why they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Ryanair is VERY different, there's a choice of airlines to get most places.
    But with rail your stuck with Irish Rail and no other choices, its a joke

Are you a motorist by any chance?
    If so, then how would you feel if their was only one insurance company and you had to fork out 6k per year for car insurance, In fairness, why should you ask the insurance company to justify their costs?

Having traveled by train in other European countries I'd have to say that IE's fares are not extremely expensive in comparison. While I do admit that the difference between the single fares that you and the OP have quoted are a bit of a joke, and do deserve complaining about.

I remember paying around £1900 for my first insurance on my first motorbike, there was only one insurance company that would insure me,which was high compared to other European countries, a quick search online revealed the reason for this.

I still think that writing to a company asking for them to justify their prices(unless your looking for them to explain why their product is better for that prices) is a waste of your time and theirs. If you think their services is too expensive vote with your feet and don't subscribe to it, and while there a services where there is an absolute monopoly I think they are rare in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't really see the issue. Most places you travel, by bus, train or plane, a single is a fair bit more than half the price of a return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement