Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poll, From Your Exp, What Is The Most Reliable Car?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

So from our collective experence what is the most reliable car, think of it as the Top Gear poll execpt with alot more hate rid towards Reanault (just kidding)

-VB-

Whats the most relable car manufacture 81 votes

BMW
    0% 0 votes
    Opel
    8% 7 votes
    Merc
    2% 2 votes
    Honda
    2% 2 votes
    Nissan
    25% 21 votes
    Vw Motor Groop, Audi, Skoda
    9% 8 votes
    Toyota
    18% 15 votes
    Not enough room please specify
    32% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most anything Japanese is fairly reliable. I'd be inclined to go for Toyota for two reasons:-

1) They rarely breakdown.
    2) If they do breakdown, the dealer network take it seriously unlike VW dealers, Renault dealers, Mercedes dealers, and others I couldn't be ar$ed mentioning.

If I had to choose a reliable European manufacturer I'd be inclined to go for the good people in Munich (BMW).

VB, why didn't you set up a proper poll?

EDIT: By the time I posted this you had the poll sorted. Grand cake, Nora!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I think vw, are the most reliable as i have used them alot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I'd echo what CrosstownK posted wrt the Japs. Except I'd place Mazda at the top place for reliability, closely followed by Toyota, based on ownership experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Four years driving a used SUZUKI Jimny*...nothing ...nada ...nix, other than routine maintenance and a tired seatbelt retractor.

*Breaks your spine, but not the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

For me it's nissan, done 12k service miles and never missed a beat, couldnt recomend them enough.

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Personnally its Renault. Out of the 5 cars I've had, 3 were renault and the other 2 were Honda accords (albeit 1 was a rover 620, but same car). The honda and rover had issues with the central locking (rear door wouldnt open on both) and the accord overheated and burned oil. Have had no non-maintenance issues with the Renaults although I am anal aout my car so I've changed a few bits on my safrane because of scuffs/scratches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Anything Japanese really. Wander along a taxi rank and what you see in the majority there will tell you all you need to know.

VW have lost alot of their sheen in recent years, as have Mercedes. Both had a bullet proof reputation for reliability once upon a time but anecdotally the word is getting through to Joe Punter that they're not such a surefire bet anymore. It's happening slower in Ireland where we still buy VW by the lorry load but the message will eventually seep through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Where is the renault on the list?

Most reliable I've had has been Ford, found the dealer great too(Tallaght Ford, Peter in the service dept is a legend)

Never had the pleasure of driving a jap car for any decent amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

VW would get my vote, although I drove a Citroen Xantia for a few years and I never had any trouble with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

has to be vw for me too!

• Advertisement

Onkle wrote:
    Tallaght Ford, Peter in the service dept is a legend

Damn right. I had a lot of dealings with Peter when he used to work in Fort Motors. An absolute legend alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

er.... something Japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Well my last two BMW's have been more reliable that the 5 Hondas I had so...

I fear this poll won't be an accurate reflection on the reality.
    Nobody has had every brand of car (with the possible exception of Junkyard!) It'd be a bit like asking people what brand of car they drive at the moment, it wouldn't be proportional to the amounts of each car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I voted Toyota based on my personal experiences. I have had 3 over the years.

I have covered 140k miles on my current Avensis from new and the ownership experience has been mostly painless.

Agree too with a previous post about their excellent after sales service which alot of other car makers seem to lack these days.

Parents have a 98 peugot 406 that has never given a whiff of trouble.

A 92 toyota corolla diesel that only needed a clutch and fuel pump in its whole life was finally scrapped recently.

I know someone who has a mkV golf that has given nothing but trouble.

I think its a bit hard to pick one manufacturer as they all have their troublesome models. And even some marques like BMW and VW who were renouned for their reliability in the past are doing poorly in vehicle break down tables.

I disagree, CmcM, i'm put a poll in for people's experence of cars, not which car's they prefer or are driving at the moment.

-VB-

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

very surprised ford isn't a poll option..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

copacetic wrote:

Indeed, especially since they are probably more reliable these days than some other makes.

copacetic wrote:

*sigh*

I make no lie's about it i didnt think the options through enough, FFS i did'nt even put Volvo in!

-VB-

• Advertisement

I've a fleet of 1500 cars and the fact that the VW Group are ahead is just so far from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just a note on the VW Golf V, I drove on as a company car for a good while(company in their wisdom got the 1.4 petrol even though most of us doing 30000-40000kms a year) and it didn't give me a spot of bother, it was an 04 and I handed it back with over 60000kms on the clock last summer.

Strong car too, I was caught up in that mess when the guy stole the bus and went on a gta type rampage in dublin, a woman in an audi ran into the back of me when getting out of the way of the bus and smashed up her car on my bumper (no tow bar) my car only had a scratch and her a3 was in tatters

crosstownk wrote:
    I've a fleet of 1500 cars and the fact that the VW Group are ahead is just so far from the truth.
    Bet alot of them are turbo failures on the diesels. The new VAG models seem to have terrible problems with their turbos.

Accoding to a recovery truck driver brand new BMWs are an all too regular appearence on the back of tow trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The nearly new Nissan Primera I used to own in the late 90s was unreliable. And I measure that against the standard reliability of cars when I learned to drive - that is say a Renault 5. I've owned old BMWs since that Nissan and the old BMWs have proved to be far more reliable than new Nissans

In my case...

I'm not voting on this anyway as a few experiences here and there are merely anecdotal - they don't prove anything.

ronoc wrote:
    Bet alot of them are turbo failures on the diesels. The new VAG models seem to have terrible problems with their turbos.

Yeah I've had some turbos fail, but most VW diesels end up on a tow truck due to fuel pump failure. Since January I'd say I've had 30 Passats recovered because of fuel pump problems.

Volvoboy wrote:
    I disagree, CmcM, i'm put a poll in for people's experence of cars, not which car's they prefer or are driving at the moment.
    -VB-

I think you misread my post. What I'm saying is the option with the most votes won't necessarilly be the most reliable car. (I mean VW is winning now FFS! and they're not reliable, they're just built solidly. look at the stats!)

For example, Honda would be up there with Toyota for reliability, but nissan are beating Honda in this poll. even though Nissan is probably the one of the least reliable "Japanese" manufacturers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote:
    For example, Honda would be up there with Toyota for reliability, but nissan are beating Honda in this poll. even though Nissan is probably the one of the least reliable "Japanese" manufacturers)

Agreed. Leaving out the inferior* makes, there is a pecking order, and Nissan are not at the top.

Also Skoda are dragging the bad name of VW up, so you can't lump Audi (bad), VW (worse) and Skoda (quite good) in the one group.

*All the non-Japanese manufacturers, and also not Porsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Can't believe you left out Subaru (any model), after a decade spent in the top 10 of the TopGear/JD reliability survey.

Reliability streets ahead of anything non-Japanese, and giving old Toyota and Honda a good run for their money to boot!

Built like panzers, yet with all the fun and driveability of a sportscar, the practicality of a saloon/estate... and 4WD!

Now on my second, wouldn't dream of going European (or any other brand)ever again.

For the record, my vote is based on ownership (not in order) of: Citroën (lots), Fiat (Brava), Hyundai (Scoupe), Ford (Fiesta & Puma), Lancia (Delta 1500LX and Integrale), Mazda (MX-5), Honda (CRX & Civic), Renault (Clio), VW (Golf Mk3), Subaru (Impreza, now on second one).

In terms of reliability, I'd rank the above in terms of reliability from worst to best (first-hand experience) as:

Fiat (worst by a country mile, but I concede it could have been a 'bad egg')
    Lancia
    Renault
    VW - Citroën (ex-aequo)
    Ford
    Honda
    Hyundai
    Mazda
    Subaru

My €0,02 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

This thread should be renamed, so whats your favourite Marque (usually your current mode of transport). Gotta love the allegiance being shown :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cars I've owned/driven
    1991 Jetta solid and reliable as anything. brilliant car
    1995 Carina same as Jetta
    1992 Renault 19 horrible car really. not the worst for reliability though
    1995 Vectra engine was really on the way out after just over 120000 miles.
    1992 Scirocco pretty much everything has been replaced, but we can forgive it that cos its good fun.. and its got 175000 miles on it.
    1994 Passat engine was great.. everything else was broken pretty much, 250000 miles on it
    1998 Passat (dad's car) niggly things going wrong with it, mainly electrics.
    1999 Mazda 323 watch this space... v happy so far.

So I've voted Toyota... but the Jetta was just as good. Unfortunately all the other vws I've come across havent worn as well. V surprised that they're doing so well in the poll.

Advertisement