Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Diabetes] Failing the Medical for driving license

• 11-05-2007 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

I have pretty okay control of the type 1 diabetes and I'm nearly certain that I would pass the medical for it...

But what happens if the GP/consultant fails the applicant on all license categories?? Are these people entitled to free travel or anything else to make up for the fact that they're not allowed to drive?

Is this a common occurrence for diabetics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I dont think so, my grandad was insulin dependant and he could drive (now I cant remember the differences in type 1 and 2) but so long as you are not liable to go unconscious then you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Unless you're in an absolutely awful way, the doctor won't deny you a driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

agreed - my doc usually just stamps the form and hands me the bill :(

Obviously I don't know your medical history, but I'd say as long as you can see and move, you'll be grand on a regular car license. I don't think we are allowed to drive trucks or buses. Or planes. probably just as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't panic! You'll get your licence.

The licence covers B catagory ie nothing over a gross weight of 3.5 tonnes/8 passengers

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

to address your other question op, I think that if you did fail to get your license, it would be because of a specific condition brought on by diabetes, so you'd be entitled to whatever anyone else who had that would be. So, if you were blind, for example, you'd be entitled to whatever concessions any blind person would have, but you wouldn't get concessionary travel for just having diabetes, I imagine anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for the delay in mine! Exams and whatnot.

Thanks for all the info. Good to know:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Do you see your doc regularly for checkups?
    Mine signs the form no problem, however he has never given me more than a 3 year licence which is a pain!

Advertisement