Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb modems

• 11-05-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

when the **** are modems coming out and why are they not on the useless site?

no point ringing their useless customer care,
    load of cnuts........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

get the PCI/PCMCIA adapter in Maplins and put their data card into it - if it's for your desktop PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The USB modem is coming. Just don't know exactly when, hopefully in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The USB modem is coming. Just don't know exactly when, hopefully in the coming weeks.

Monday was mooted to me. Legs will be able to start another thread on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I was also told next week.

culabula wrote:
    Monday was mooted to me. Legs will be able to start another thread on it.

Aye. I realise we're all disappointed with 3 Ireland's offers compared to some of their other markets, but THAT many threads? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

next week my ballix.

i am whacking my n73 around the place now and goin crazy, keeps getting disconnected, 3 keep ringing my data sim i cant even make calls on that to check voice mails,

i told them this about 10 times on email, but duh

they speak their own lingo their, cant really tolerate this crowd much longer, i have my dd cancelled now so i dont really give a flying **** about them anymore.

legs11 wrote:

i am whacking my n73 around the place now and goin crazy, keeps getting disconnected, 3 keep ringing my data sim i cant even make calls on that to check voice mails,

Have you ever tried simply updating the firmware on your N73?

legs11 wrote:
    next week my ballix.

Well if you know it's not coming next week, how come your ballix keep asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

beause my ballix speaks english and is easy to understand......

i did update the f/w i got music ed on it, but its still s*** and my hand hurts from the abuse also........

legs11 wrote:
    i told them this about 10 times on email, but duh

they speak their own lingo their, cant really tolerate this crowd much longer, i have my dd cancelled now so i dont really give a flying **** about them anymore.

Tell me again about this English that you speak? :-)

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    beause my ballix speaks english and is easy to understand......

i did update the f/w i got music ed on it, but its still s*** and my hand hurts from the abuse also........

I have to confess I don't understand but any N73 I updated recently to the latest version worked more or less perfectly from there on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

lads how much is it.
    and what are the data pricepoints like.

mkennedy wrote:
    lads how much is it.
    and what are the data pricepoints like.

I started a thread about this a week or so ago. We don't know the price and strong rumours and company information indicate that there will be new tariffs (10GB @ 19€/pm is mentioned).

What I also have been told is that three will make a huge push to place this in broadband-barren households, that there will be zero credit check and/or deposit. There will be no SMS or voice, just data-only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks.
    wow 10gb for €19- if that's true that's some aggressive pricing. should shake up the market a bit.
    very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

I went into carphone warehouse 2 days ago after reading this and I was told the USB modem is being released by 3 on the 17th of July!! I also asked about the price and was told they haven't made a decision on it yet but it will probably be similar to the tariffs on the data card. She couldn't confirm this though, it was just an opinion. So I'd love to know where the info. was obtained about €19 for 10GB. Vodafone are charging €33 for 5GB!! Seems like a very big difference for the same product, especially considering 3 is on a 3.6MB/sec connection whereas Vodafone is only on 1.8MB/sec. Also 3 weren't able to compete effectively on price with the data cards, with a very low 3GB limit. I can't see them being able to undercut the Vodafone price by almost a half and double their capacity, in fact more than trebling their own existing datacard capacity for half the price of their datacard. So if you have some "inside information" culabula how come you don't even know the date of issue which I easily obtained in carphone warehouse and do you know when 3 themselves are actually going to "oficially" announce their price plan?

Smarmore wrote:
    I went into carphone warehouse 2 days ago after reading this and I was told the USB modem is being released by 3 on the 17th of July!! I also asked about the price and was told they haven't made a decision on it yet but it will probably be similar to the tariffs on the data card. She couldn't confirm this though, it was just an opinion. So I'd love to know where the info. was obtained about €19 for 10GB. Vodafone are charging €33 for 5GB!! Seems like a very big difference for the same product, especially considering 3 is on a 3.6MB/sec connection whereas Vodafone is only on 1.8MB/sec. Also 3 weren't able to compete effectively on price with the data cards, with a very low 3GB limit. I can't see them being able to undercut the Vodafone price by almost a half and double their capacity, in fact more than trebling their own existing datacard capacity for half the price of their datacard. So if you have some "inside information" culabula how come you don't even know the date of issue which I easily obtained in carphone warehouse and do you know when 3 themselves are actually going to "oficially" announce their price plan?

Because no-one knows the 'date of issue', not even 3 staff. It was supposed to be coming in February when I first enquired, then April and now May. Supposed to be today! Now 'this week'.

This is the only question that I cannot answer. But do expect to see a huge cap and a low price.

Incidentally, why do you believe someone in the Craphone Whorehouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

see this in the sunday business post yesterday which appears to confirm things as discussed

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/05/13/story23524.asp

Well she seemed fairly sure and it was a very precise date, can't see any reason for her to make it up!! Fair enough though, if it's listed in the SBP I'm sure the info. is reliable. One question on the article though. They seem to be singling out desktop PC users which seems odd. There's no mention of it being a USB modem in the article but surely a USB modem will work on any type of computer including laptops!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

well the 19.99euro tarriff is listed on there site since yesterday!!

http://www.three.ie/priceplans/addons.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I don't think that refers to the new package being introduced.

• Advertisement

well the 19.99euro tarriff is listed on there site since yesterday!!

http://www.three.ie/priceplans/addons.htm

This doesn't seem to be connected to the package in the SBP article. Is this not just an add-on bundle for a phone??

They have the 3DataModem advertised on the 3Austria site here:

http://www.drei.at/webshop/prepareSelectionTarifDetail.do?tarifId=ATS0020

My Austrian is not the May West but it seems to be getting released on the 20th of June. Very bad marketing by 3Ireland if they don't give at least a month or so of marketing before releasing a product like this!! There isn't any mention of it on the 3Ireland website.

Smarmore, they speak German in Austria, though the local dialect can be quite strong.

Anyway, what that refers to is that if you sign up by the 20th of June, you get free activation. The service has actually been available in one form or another for a number of years, and is most definitely available in Austria right now.

Pity I'm not living in Austria so!! Although the price is double what's being claimed here. I'm just going to call in the 3 store in Grafton Street this evening and if they're unable to give me answers on a product that's supposed to be released this week I'll remain sceptical about it!! There's absolutely no advertising or marketing being done for this product as far as I can see. It sounds like a fantastic deal though if it's true!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Smarmore wrote:
    Very bad marketing by 3Ireland if they don't give at least a month or so of marketing before releasing a product like this!! There isn't any mention of it on the 3Ireland website.
    it wouldn't be the first time they did something good and didn't tell anyone about it

Smarmore wrote:
    Pity I'm not living in Austria so!! Although the price is double what's being claimed here. I'm just going to call in the 3 store in Grafton Street this evening and if they're unable to give me answers on a product that's supposed to be released this week I'll remain sceptical about it!! There's absolutely no advertising or marketing being done for this product as far as I can see. It sounds like a fantastic deal though if it's true!!

It IS advertised in the new brochure; it IS coming and maybe this week. It already exists in other 3 territories. There is no doubt that there will be a new and exclusive tariff with this modem -19 or 20€ for 10GB, NO VOICE and NO SMS.

Incidentally, if you can't wait, you could get an 3 Austrian or Italian deal and use it here as part of '3 Like Home'. If you have friends in either country (who trust you) there is nothing to stop you. I was just about to do same when news broke of a similar deal here. When I learned *officially* that existing subs can migrate to the new tariff then I decided to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Does 3likehome mean I can roam for free with the tariff to the UK?

Also can you clarify what you mean by no voice and no sms? Surely thats a feature of any modem based service?

OK I'll take your word for it, sounds sweet!! I moved to Kilmainham a few weeks ago and have been finding it impossible to get broadband without installing a phone line. I also lost my Vodafone phone Saturday night and was thinking if it would be worth switching over to 3. Do you know if they will have any conditions with the broadband package, e.g. you have to be either a 3Pay or PostPay 3 customer?

Akula wrote:
    Does 3likehome mean I can roam for free with the tariff to the UK?

Also can you clarify what you mean by no voice and no sms? Surely thats a feature of any modem based service?

I don't really see how I can make it any clearer: the NEW tariff, which will be offered in tandem and exclusively with the new USB modem will not allow SMS or MT/MO voice. It will simply provide data. That's the deal.

With 3 like home you may use your phone or data package exactly as though you were in Ireland. MT calls are free and MO *back* to Ireland are deducted from your minutes. Uniquely to Ireland, you may call British numbers from your minutes anyway, so that continues to be available. The same applies if you are on say, 3 Hong Kong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Little bird just landed here and told me:

€19.99 for 10GB and release coming on this Fri (17th incidentally- except not July like CPW said)
    ;)
    Like cula says, data only......
    Methinks 3 have at least 1 new customer anyway :)

Advertisement