Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda RX-8 Insurance

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some tips to get a better insurance quote. I'm 22 male with a full license and 3 years NCB.

I want to get a new RX-8 but my current insurer(Quinn) won't insure anything that 'high performance'. A few others are the same.

Best quotes I'm getting are all over 3K ! I think that's a bit high. Does anyone know of any good brokers or the best place for so called performance cars ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Try this insurance company http://www.xsdirect.ie
    €4,000 excess though, so you will have to drive very carefully. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I'm looking into getting an RX8 to. With the exception of places like xsdirect mentioned above (There's another one out there too, name escapes me though) you need to be over 25 with 3 years NCB. Even then you'd be looking at about 2k.

Personally if I can get 4k in the bank in case I do have a crash, then I'll go with xsdirect. Being over 25 it'll be about 1k, but because you're 22 I think you'll be looking at 2.5 (judging by the quote I just did).

Good luck with your hunt, I pain every day for one of those cars :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

if you buy the car and you're currently with quinn they can't refuse you. I know a 21yr old with an m3 convertible, before that he had an s200, evo, 318 convertible and a skyline!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Briton Insurance do the same thing as XS Direct. www.wrightgroup.ie are my brokers that deal with them.

XS Direct have a 4k excess but you can reduce this by €1,000 by paying €250. for for an extra €500 you can have a 2k excess

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

s.welstead wrote:
    Best quotes I'm getting are all over 3K ! I think that's a bit high

That seems reasonable enough to me tbh - I presume it is comprehensive and there is no high excess?

Only a few years ago, you would have paid a similar amount for a VW Golf with half the power. Prices are coming down! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

unkel wrote:
    That seems reasonable enough to me tbh - I presume it is comprehensive and there is no high excess?

Only a few years ago, you would have paid a similar amount for a VW Golf with half the power. Prices are coming down! :)

Very true, I remember paing over £3500 a few years back on a 1litre Micra :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I was very surprised on a quote eagle star gave me on a volvo 850 t5 (2.3 petrol turbo) which no one else would touch. Try them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

steve06 wrote:
    if you buy the car and you're currently with quinn they can't refuse you. I know a 21yr old with an m3 convertible, before that he had an s200, evo, 318 convertible and a skyline!

True Quinn cant refuse, indeed, every car insurance has to provide a quote, whether or not your even a customer actually.

However, if you insist on Quinn providing a quote, they will just say "sure, its 20 grand for the year". Each car company has its own section of the market that they go after. Quinn Direct goes after younger drivers but not high performance. As I have aged (not a lot I am only 29) and changed cars over the last even 5 years, I have found that the cheapest company changes depending on what car I have driven and age.

Plus that rotary engine just drinks petrol, I know someone who had one. And the Nissane 350z is SO much better looking! (as an aside sorry ha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I checked out xsdirect for my measly 1.6 car and the quote was ridiculous - over three times what I am paying quinn with the £4000 excess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

wingnut wrote:
    I checked out xsdirect for my measly 1.6 car and the quote was ridiculous - over three times what I am paying quinn with the £4000 excess
    Ya like PoleStar said, it depends on you age and what car. If you wanted to insure a performance sports car xsdirect would probably give you the best quote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement