Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main Dealer -service rip off /

Options
  • 11-05-2007 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I recently got my car serviced (6 weeks ago) by a main dealer at a cost of 400+ . Last week I had to go to a local garage and get rear brake pads which were down to the metal on both back wheels. I was afraid to drive back to the main dealer due to the noise coming from the rear wheels when I braked- I was worried that I would destroy the brake discs .

The main dealer's invoice detailed checking and cleaning rear brakes -something I think they must have neglected to do . I only drove 1300 miles since the last service. I had asked when collecting my car if the pads were ok until my next service 10k miles later and was told by the service desk that they were fine . Quote " the mechanics have to inform us if anything need replacing before the next service"

How should I approach this with the garage ? Should I demand a refund for the service or take it further . I am very annoyed that they left my car in a state in which I could have had a serious accident - I had been on the motorway the previous week with my wife and kids and if I had been in a situation where I had needed to brake in an emergency I hate to think what might have happened.

Any opinions appreciated ? What would you do if this happened to you ? Has anyone else ever felt their garage was ripping them off ?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Raise it with the garage in the first instance. Request an audience with a director of the company either on the phone or in person. Explain your grievance calmly, state the issue in a constuctive fashion and see what happens.

Is it possible that there was a defect with the brake pads?

The matter could be a small claims action though I'd recommend you approach the matter as practically as possible in the first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't see how you could be due any kind of refund, they didn't replace your brakes but they also didn't charge you for them either (or did they). Check the invoice and make sure everything they said they done is actually done. Check is the oil filter clean, it should be reasonably clean if they replaced it, also check the oil by dipping it and see that it's relatively clean and clear and not dirty as old oil would be.

I'd be pretty pissed off that they didn't check the brakes even though they claim they did, but unless you were actually over charged in some way there's nothing you can do. Does the invoice detail a charge for the check/clean or is it just covered in the labor costs? Certainly don't go demanding anything from them as they'll treat you like a fool and quite probably tell you where to go.

You could tell them how annoyed you are and tell them you'll never buy a car or get a service from them again and that you'll tell everyone you know how they treated you.

As an aside, I'd always mark everything under the bonnet before bringing my car for a service. Using a screwdriver or knife, mark a small X on the oil filter, remove one of the spark plugs (if you're confident enough) and use a permanent marker to mark it. Dip the oil and make a note of the colour of the oil (dirty or clean looking). After the service, check everything. If you find the same marks on the items you've been charged for then you have them over a barrel. The reason I do this is because I have a friend who's a mechanic in a main dealer where I'm from. Some of the stories he tells are quite unbelievable. Rubbing a cloth over the oil filter and topping up the oil because they forgot about your car would not be unheard of. It's not very often but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

jor el wrote:
    I don't see how you could be due any kind of refund, they didn't replace your brakes but they also didn't charge you for them either (or did they). Check the invoice and make sure everything they said they done is actually done. Check is the oil filter clean, it should be reasonably clean if they replaced it, also check the oil by dipping it and see that it's relatively clean and clear and not dirty as old oil would be.

I'd be pretty pissed off that they didn't check the brakes even though they claim they did, but unless you were actually over charged in some way there's nothing you can do. Does the invoice detail a charge for the check/clean or is it just covered in the labor costs? Certainly don't go demanding anything from them as they'll treat you like a fool and quite probably tell you where to go.

The invoice does state that they checked and cleaned my back brakes and they have included that as part of the justification for the cost of the service. As they have charged me for something they did'nt obviously do I certainly feel I am entitled to a refund for work charged for not carried out. More to the point I feel they are negligent in their duty of care to me as a paying customer . Do the SIMI not set a standard that garages are meant to adhere to ? If I had been involved in an accident as a result of defective brakes I would certainly be going after them for negligence as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Dak,
    Yes, you do have a valid reason to bring this to the attention of the garage you got your car serviced at, if as you say that they are a "Main Dealer" they are most probably a reputable company and will belong to the SIMI which have a code of practice their members must follow.
    Do as Tom Young suggests, approach the Service Manager at the dealership and give him all the facts and tell him your concerns about driving a potentially dangerous vehicle, as far as you know they could have a technician working from them that is not doing their job correctly, if this is the case the company will be glad to know. Most technicians work on a bonus system where they earn bonus on hours saved over and above time allowed for the job, if this is the case he may be cutting corners.
    Check the invoice you received from them to see if they commented on the condition of the brake pads, it is common practice to do so, inform him of what the receptionist said when you collected your car. Bring the invoice you received from your local garage fir the replacement of the pads with you as proof.
    Whilst you may not or may not have a financial claim against the dealer, you certainly have a moral one, I would think that the Service Manager may offer you some form of discount off your next service.
    Above all put your concerns across in a calm and detailed way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In fairness jor el, you think a main dealer would have more cop-on and do a proper service? They didnt service the car fully - and could have resulted in an accident or further damage to the vehicle due to their poor workmanship.

With or without the notice on the invoice - a "service" should include checking the breaks. Im sure these garages have a set standard they must adhere to. And im sure they wouldnt want any bad publicity on their part, as I think some people would refuse to use their service if they heard there service is poor.

OP:- Speak to the manager about the problem (calmly of course) and explain how disapointed you are that the main dealer could not do a proper service in general but also failed to check the breaks properly - despite the claim they were as stated by staff and the invoice. Point out that this could have caused further damage to the breaks, and could have caused an accident. Inform him you are not one bit happy, and asked why this happened and what he plans to do about it.

You might get some form of compensation such as having the cost of getting the break pads replaced by another firm (will need a receipt) given back to you, but also some free service the next time you come in aswel as an apology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement