Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco/Lyons teabags

Options
  • 11-05-2007 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Was doing a bit of shopping yesterday and noticed this,
    it's was cheaper to buy 2 boxes of 80 teabags than it
    was to buy 1 box of 160!

Anyone else have similar price differences on items

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yes I noticed in Dunnes Blanchardstown that it was cheaper to buy 3 seperate cat milk then to buy a 3 pack.
    It was only a few cent but it was cheaper to buy 3 seperate.

They must have noticed cos last week the price of the individual pack went up about 8 cent to counter this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tesco toilet paper 12s are cheaper per roll than 16s. Only by a couple of cents, but I think the entire premise of pricing higher quantity items with higher prices is pretty nasty corporate policy. It's preying on a common understanding of pricing.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've seen this to happen in a number of instances in both Dunnes and Tesco - the moral of the story is check the price of everything!! Also the greatest rip-off in all the supermarkets is pre-packed mushrooms - the loose ones are way cheaper per kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Even when apples are on offer in packs with "6 for the price of 4" it is usually cheaper to buy them separate. Same goes for potatoes, also you get the pick of the fruit/veg when buying separate.

Tesco larger sauces, eg family size curry/chinese sauce is more expensive. It is easier to compare now that they have the price per kilo on most stuff. BUT many times the price per kilo is wrong.

I don't have a problem with prepacked good being more expensive, there's obvious logical reasons for that. The packaging and packers aren't free you know.

adam

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with prepacked good being more expensive, there's obvious logical reasons for that. Packaging and packers aren't free.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

A common type of experience.

In relation to spirits watch the cost per litre of the different size bottles in supermarkets. In some places they present the bottle prices in such a confusing way that it requires you to use a calculator to make a true comparison.

There are little people in darkened rooms constantly thinking up these wheezes to keep us entertained when we go shopping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Lyons gold blend 80s are on special at present so thats probably reason . Normally 2.70eur currently 2.08eur

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Dunnes Own toilet rolls - save 2c (or so) if you buy 3 x 4-packs rather than 1 x 12-pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

6 pack of Whiskas couple of cents more than separate tins - its true, there are lots of examples, its still (rather illogically) irritating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

The same with Tesco "Helathy" cheese.
    It was about 92c for 10 but 1.99 for 20. I could never figure it out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I remember something similar with Tesco 1 and 2 litre sunflower oils. But the price per litre is there on the label, so it's up to you to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Spar Sandycove €4.20 for Coca Cola 2x 2l double Special Price Pack, single 2l bottle 2.05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The coke 2x2 pack is a great example. At Tesco's regular prices, the 2x2 price works out exactly the same as buying 2 individual bottles. And when there's specials on it, or the individual bottles, it can boggle the mind sometimes.

What it boils down to is the price Tesco get the various sized packs for, maybe there's a special on the smaller sized pack so it becomes cheaper to buy 2 than to buy 1 larger pack, but the price of the smaller pack will go back up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Igy wrote:

What it boils down to is the price Tesco get the various sized packs for, maybe there's a special on the smaller sized pack so it becomes cheaper to buy 2 than to buy 1 larger pack, but the price of the smaller pack will go back up eventually.

I think it's more to do with the big supermarkets using physicolgy (sp) to make extra profits .Dairygold is always cheaper to buy in the 1/2 kilo to the kilo packs .Own label pasta is another one where the 1/2 kilo can be cheaper than the 1 kilo .I think they spend alot of time working out how to make the maximum profit without the consumer knowing what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

In my local supervalue, those little Knorr Vie veggie shots are €2.39 for a 3 pack, or €5.79 for a six pack. No offers on the 3 pack either, thats the price they've always been. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

in supermarkets especially the larger one's they have approx 500 lines they call KVI's. These are the lines they make the least amount of profit on but they are the one you are more than likely going to pick up while shopping ie Lyons, Coke, Batchelors beans are another.

However because smaller shops dont stock the larger sizes of these products the manufacturers can produce the standard size ie. Lyons 80's cheaper then they can produce the 160's because you wont find the 160's in your local filling station but you will find the 80's

so in the past the retailers have put the squeeze on producers the reduce some prices to make the whole system look fair and the producer can in turn reduce the price of an item because of its mass production resulting in lower manufacturing costs against an item thats infrequently produced.

the producer will make its money back from the smaller shops as they charge them more than they do the multiples.

Coke for example they produce a 2ltr for x cost but it will cost them more to put a wrapper on it also because they sell the single in all the shops the retailers have put the squeeze on coke(just like on lyons) and the only price they can reduce is the single 2ltr and not the complete range of twins etc because they sell and produce less twins than singles

Its a bit strange but true

Advertisement