Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista ReadyBoost Question

• 11-05-2007 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

I recently put Vista on my new Lidl Laptop.
    It has 1G of Ram which I know is not enough. It also has a Turion X2 TL-52 and a GeeForce Go 7600. It gets a rating of 4.4 for my "Vista Experience". It still seems quite slow to me.
    I popped in a 1G SD card into the built in reader. When the Autoplay box pops up it does NOT include the option to "help speed up your computer" so I can't start Ready Boost. As far as I know it did not test my card and find it lacking (or if it did it did it really fast which seems unlikely based on my experience to date).
    As far as I know ReadyBoost should work with SD cards.
    Any suggestions as to how I can get it to work would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

This should happen automatically, but to do it manually one needs to follow these steps.

1. Open Windows Explorer and Navigate to Computer.

2. Right click on the USB drive and select properties, a window opens, with multiple tabs on it.

3. Select the ReadyBoost Tab. If there is no ReadyBoost tab displayed then, the selected USB drive does not meet the requirements to make use of ReadyBoost feature. Try a different device.

4. Click “Use This Device” option in the tab.

5. Now, set the amount of space to be reserved for the ReadyBoost. And then click the Ok button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks for the reply, MenloPete.

I finally got it to work by uninstalling and deleting the card reader driver, then the system (with no input from me) installed a different, more generic driver. After that the "help speed up your computer" autoplay option did pop up when I inserted the SD card.

ReadyBoost has not made any noticable difference in performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The improvement can vary and it takes time for it to kick in as Vista learns what software you use the most and adapts the Readyboost cache to match.

That's cool. Thanks.

slightly OT: I have to say that so far I have been somewhat underwhelmed by Vista. It certainly doesn't seem to me to be the major advance that e.g. Windows 95 was over 3.1
    I suppose I will just have to fork out the 250 or so yoyos and get 2Gigs of Ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What ram is €250?

http://www.crucial.com/eu/

• Advertisement

Good point, dude! More like €96 in fact! Thanks for posting.
    €250 is what I was quoted from a shop in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No problem, the prices for ram in shops can be rediculous....

Advertisement