Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Exactly, no doubting he has his downsides, but it doesn't warrant the type of ranting and raving that he is getting on here. I think people listen solely to find another reason to bitch about him and like you say if he wasn't getting the satisfactory listener figures he would be shafted.

I get the criticisms, it's the bitchiness and pure begrudgery that annoys me. He's not perfect and he does talk about what's going on in is life, and is daugher and child yet to be born, but it's it's his show, he determines the agenda.

And when I'm in work on Monday, I'll still be tuning in (online)
    Well, why not just ban the few who make personal attacks & mindless comments for a few days, that should quieten them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's the Ray Darcy thread, not the Ray Darcy Appreciation thread.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's the Ray Darcy thread, not the Ray Darcy Appreciation thread.
    Ray Darcy show, thread actually, not the Ray bashing thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He is a lucky man that his only real competition is Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

He is a lucky man that his only real competition is Tubridy.

I wouldn't class Tubridy as credible opposition tbh.

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »

It's an open thread on his show, people can fawn if they want, people can criticise if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Criticism is fine, it's the over-the-top slagging, aggression and hatred that baffles me. :confused:

It's an open thread on his show, people can fawn if they want, people can criticise if they want.
    The personal attacks are out of order, peoples response to his sueing for damages were personal, nothing to do with the show. I git a 7 day ban for telling a mod good luck with policing the personal attacks on the guy. If people want to criticize the show & his presenting technique, then do so, but personal attacks on his character should be stopped by mods. And, no, I don't listen to his show whatsoever in case you believe me to be one of his fanclub

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jumpymunky

This thread should be renamed the "lets all bitch about Ray thread".... :rolleyes:

It's very very simple people if you don't like the show don't listen, end of! I'd dearly love to come to all the people on here bitching's places of work look over your shoulder's and point out all your small wrongdoings no matter how anal, like ye all do in here.

Like I said don't listen if you don't like him, there are plenty of other radio stations out there.

...awaits the silly are you Jenny posts, followed up by the "how dare you tell me to..." and "I work in an office and can't control the radio" posts (because if your in work and able to listen to every word he says I dare say your not working) that get thanked by the same people who complain week in week out about the show.

If this thread is so bad then why do you chose to continue to read it? Perhaps you could follow your own advice what with there being plenty of other threads out there etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

The personal attacks are out of order, peoples response to his sueing for damages were personal, nothing to do with the show. I git a 7 day ban for telling a mod good luck with policing the personal attacks on the guy. If people want to criticize the show & his presenting technique, then do so, but personal attacks on his character should be stopped by mods. And, no, I don't listen to his show whatsoever in case you believe me to be one of his fanclub

Ray opens himself to ridicule by his very actions, 2 examples:

1) Ray while appearing on The Late Late Show promises to leave the Country if Enda Kenny became Taoiseach - Did Ray leave the Country as he had promised to do? No, but that gives us great insight into Ray's lack of lack of character and integrity.

2) Ray trips while running, admitting on air that he knew that the trip hazard was there, Ray then states he will sue those he believes responsible (actually the Irish taxpayer will be picking up the tab if he does successfully sue) Ray's bruised ego attempts to justify its ridiculousness by stating he will donate any amount 'won' to Charidee.

These are simply 2 examples as to why Ray is fair game for anyone to ridicule, I wont even get started on the Seinfeld 'Train wreck'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

If you did listen on a daily basis you would realise that the show has long since become about his personal life, HIS religious views, HIS child, HIS hobbies, HIS partners pregnancy. It would be harder to avoid views about Ray personally than to address them. Also I find a lot of posts here pertain to Rays basic ability to do his job and his technical capabilities which IMO are pretty sub standard. I realise my views differ to yours but that is what makes us all unique, I do not think it merits asking a mod to ban me as you requested in an earlier post because I dont like Ray. Relax and realise that not everyone will agree with you all the time and most likely a large percentage of people will disagree with you on this thread. Aaaaaaaaaahhh siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Criticism is fine, it's the over-the-top slagging, aggression and hatred that baffles me. :confused:

Ray can be fairly handy at that himself, so much so he often has to take a few deep breaths or a break to cool down after a good old rant!

If you did listen on a daily basis you would realise that the show has long since become about his personal life, HIS religious views, HIS child, HIS hobbies, HIS partners pregnancy. It would be harder to avoid views about Ray personally than to address them. Also I find a lot of posts here pertain to Rays basic ability to do his job and his technical capabilities which IMO are pretty sub standard. I realise my views differ to yours but that is what makes us all unique, I do not think it merits asking a mod to ban me as you requested in an earlier post because I dont like Ray. Relax and realise that not everyone will agree with you all the time and most likely a large percentage of people will disagree with you on this thread. Aaaaaaaaaahhh siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh:D:D:D:D:D
    I'm not asking a mod to ban you personally, I have no issues with people not liking his technique or believing the show to be utter rubbish. That's all well & good. But people criticizing him for sueing on the grounds that it comes out of the taxpayers pocket is a joke. He didn't leave the bar there, he is well within his rights to sue, as would 99% of the population. Why should he be any different? You or I wouldn't be hounded for doing so. Why treat him differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I'm not asking a mod to ban you personally, I have no issues with people not liking his technique or believing the show to be utter rubbish. That's all well & good. But people criticizing him for sueing on the grounds that it comes out of the taxpayers pocket is a joke. He didn't leave the bar there, he is well within his rights to sue, as would 99% of the population. Why should he be any different? You or I wouldn't be hounded for doing so. Why treat him differently?

Look, I'm not sure the fact he's bringing a claim is the issue. You have to understand the background here, on more than one occasion Raymond has preached about how he is not litigous and while saddled securely on his high horse he admonished this culture. This was done in much the same way as when he promised to leave the country if Enda Kenny was elected , similarly he told us he'd never be able to justify paying for an iPhone yet he just bought one, this reminds me of how he said he could never understand why people would join Facebook, he's now a member. I've no problem with any of these things, my issue is with the blatant hypocrisy and how his opinion is always the correct one even when he changes it . If you were subjected to regular doses of Ray I promise you that you would appreciate what I'm telling you here. Don't get me started on Paulo Nutini everyday for three years

Look, I'm not sure the fact he's bringing a claim is the issue. You have to understand the background here, on more than one occasion Raymond has preached about how he is not litigous and while saddled securely on his high horse he admonished this culture. This was done in much the same way as when he promised to leave the country if Enda Kenny was elected , similarly he told us he'd never be able to justify paying for an iPhone yet he just bought one, this reminds me of how he said he could never understand why people would join Facebook, he's now a member. I've no problem with any of these things, my issue is with the blatant hypocrisy and how his opinion is always the correct one even when he changes it . If you were subjected to regular doses of Ray I promise you that you would appreciate what I'm telling you here. Don't get me started on Paulo Nutini everyday for three years

Couldn't have said it better myself - he's the most self indulgent broadcaster i have ever experienced, its the Ray way or the highway with him

• Subscribers Posts: 41,712 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NEWSFLASH

"broadcaster voices opinions, which change over time....."

*shock horror*

call out the national guard!!!!!!

sydthebeat wrote: »

NEWSFLASH

"broadcaster voices opinions, which change over time....."

*shock horror*

call out the national guard!!!!!!

he doesn't voice opinions - he arrogantly rams them down your throat.

Im still waiting for him to make good on that leaving the country promise by the way........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Im still waiting for him to make good on that leaving the country promise by the way........

I know some people because of where they work are forced to listen but can some people not just switch off in their heads?
    He has an opinion and voices it a lot. I get annoyed with the show too but some of the people ranting here would be better off joining the ranting and raving forum?
    Why people take him so seriously I don't know.

anyone who listens to him regularly knows what they are going to get...

anyone who starts to listen to him can make their own minds up....

the constant growth in JNL listenership figures shows that the vast majority of new listeners stick with him rather than switch, what does that tell you?

the constant growth in JNL listenership figures shows that the vast majority of new listeners stick with him rather than switch, what does that tell you?

That culchies spend a lot of time listening to the radio in the morning ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

That's true. The boggers worship D'arcy. I don't think he has much of a following in Dublin though. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote:
    That's true. The boggers worship D'arcy. I don't think he has much of a following in Dublin though.

:rolleyes:

strange how you pull that assumption from any of the information out there..... must be a sign of some insecurity...

Touchy. Both posts were obviously tongue in cheek. But then they have a cut close to the bone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

strange how you pull that assumption from any of the information out there..... must be a sign of some insecurity...

Insecurity? Please explain.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

This is not meant as an attack on any posters...

...but seriously, I really believe there's something missing in your lives if even some of your time and most of your morning is spent listening to a radio show you hate and a presenter you hate even more and then coming onto boards to slag it/him off.

I can't stand him myself, but I never, ever listen to that awful show. Why on earth would I!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ray will not enjoy the legitimate criticism lingering on this thread, his family/friends/associates/neighbours of old are actually flaming the fire here.

His next move will be classic little Ray... expect a numbers game or some such, random numbers being posted here will soon push the legitimate criticism deep into the thread......

Touchy. Both posts were obviously tongue in cheek. But then they have a cut close to the bone :p

pardon me for not being a mind reader.

we obviously have smilies to use if you want to show a "tongue in cheek" post or whatever.... if you DONT use on the we have to take what you say as being serious.....

you seem to know how to use them because you used it above, therefore i can only take it that the post i quote was posted in seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

You could save yourself a lot of waiting (over a year now) by just texting the show and asking him when he is he going to leave, when you get a reply, you may be able to move on with your life. I fear you may not get the answer you are looking for! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Have you ever said something that you either regretted, or said in the heat of the moment. We all make silly remarks, his problem is that he said it on live tv and subsequently will always get it thrown in his face by people that can't let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

el diablo wrote: »
    That's true. The boggers worship D'arcy. I don't think he has much of a following in Dublin though. :)

pardon me for not being a mind reader.

we obviously have smilies to use if you want to show a "tongue in cheek" post or whatever.... if you DONT use on the we have to take what you say as being serious.....

you seem to know how to use them because you used it above, therefore i can only take it that the post i quote was posted in seriousness.
    In fairness though, I think it was fairly obvious that it was a tongue in cheek comment. Some people are so uptight on this thread (from both sides)

That said, the figures do back up the assertion that he's not that popular in Dublin.
    DUBLIN – First results give Nova 5% and see Phantom overtake 4fm (in “listened yesterday” reach, though it’s the other way round in % share)

Listened at all 85% (-1%)

Any RTE 37% (no change)

RTE Radio 1 31% (no change)

RTE 2FM 8% (-1%)

RTE Lyric FM 6% (+1%)

Today FM 10% (+1%)

Newstalk 12% (no change)

Any non-national 53% (no change)

4fm 2% (no change)

Radio Nova 5% (first result)

98FM 13% (no change)

FM104 20% (-1%)