Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 colmmcl

When i rang they would not put me on but took my message. Ray knows she got her head in the book 3 times, who was chief editor (Jenny)
    The whole show is based around there little universe . I do feel sorry for mairead not knowing her limitations and constantly being talked over on tv and radio.
    When the Us 3 book starts up it will probally happen again.
    I might start a thread up when that happens and campaign not to have mairead in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

colmmcl wrote: »
    When i rang they would not put me on but took my message. Ray knows she got her head in the book 3 times, who was chief editor (Jenny)
    The whole show is based around there little universe . I do feel sorry for mairead not knowing her limitations and constantly being talked over on tv and radio.
    When the Us 3 book starts up it will probally happen again.
    I might start a thread up when that happens and campaign not to have mairead in it

No offence, but I think you need to get a life.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I have a life, And a hectic one at that,
    If you were organising a book for charity that cost 20 euro , and with a few thousand pictures making the cut , that a lot of money your estimating to make.
    would you have one of your event organisers in the book 3 times , in fairness the ray darcy team should of had 1 group picture in it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

thalia_13 wrote: »
    God is it me or is Mairead insufferable??? I dont think she is funny nor does she contribute mych to the show IMHO!! Its like she is always competing to be heard, real " miss miss I know the answer" and kinda tjid one time at band camp... And she is always on with that fool Craig Doyle! Who hires these people?

Craig Doyle will be eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

They did. It's in the studio and has Ray, Jenny, Kate, Mairead, Dara, Will and (I assume) his wife.

But yeah, I get why you're annoyed with the Mairead photos. They weren't even that good or of anything other than her and her mate.
    I have a life, And a hectic one at that,
    If you were organising a book for charity that cost 20 euro , and with a few thousand pictures making the cut , that a lot of money your estimating to make.
    would you have one of your event organisers in the book 3 times , in fairness the ray darcy team should of had 1 group picture in it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

his old boss willy o reilly went back to rte.
    overall the show is out dated, scripted to the last, texts are screened, cos for example when they brought out the US 2 Book over a year ago, they went on about how taking a picture on the that day, only one picture will only be accepted, ( i emailed in 20) hoping at least 1 would make the book. but sadly no.
    So when the book came out Mairead Farrell got her face in it on 3 different pages, now thats not a co-incidence, thats bull and i emailed them, text them and rang them and it was never brought up.
    oh my God, and what did the Gardai say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Anton is a pleasure to listen to. Much better than Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

I love the way Mairead said Anton has crap taste in music and then she says she'll be front row at Westlife tonight.

The sooner she gets polled again and fecks off on maternity leave again the better.
    She makes bad tv and average radio
    Looking forward to the Us and Mairead book again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Happy for them, having another child and everything.

But if the first three hours are anything to go on, the thoughts of listening to this baby talk that he insists on just makes me dread listening to the guy. He was beginning to get over the baby talk from the first kid but he'll be at it non stop again now.

That along with the constant ehs and unfunny stories just make him a complete irritation. He has been "interviewing" Miriam O Callaghan this morning and asking questions, then interrupting her to give his own view.

KC and Anton Savage are miles ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Happy for them, having another child and everything.

But if the first three hours are anything to go on, the thoughts of listening to this baby talk that he insists on just makes me dread listening to the guy. He was beginning to get over the baby talk from the first kid but he'll be at it non stop again now.

That along with the constant ehs and unfunny stories just make him a complete irritation. He has been "interviewing" Miriam O Callaghan this morning and asking questions, then interrupting her to give his own view.

KC and Anton Savage are miles ahead of him.

Jaysus give the poor lad a break it was only his first day back after spending time with his new baby and I was quite interested to hear how he was doing, I would rather that then listen to mind numbing boredom from Anton Savage

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Jaysus give the poor lad a break it was only his first day back after spending time with his new baby and I was quite interested to hear how he was doing, I would rather that then listen to mind numbing boredom from Anton Savage

He's a joke - He is currently conducting an "interview" with a minister about mental health. He is doing his incredibly annoying thing of giving a big long winded question/opinion and when she starts her reply he jumps down her throat and interrupts her. When he is not interrupting he is loudly going "yeah .... yeah ..... yeah .... yeah ....." not listening to a word and waiting to do his angry thing again.

He has appointed himself as some sort of an ambassador for this problem. This is the same guy who read out an email from a suicidal listener less than a year ago, and responded to the email by sighing loudly and telling the listener that he was being selfish.

I think that is more irresponsible than anything this minister has done or not done.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,709 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jaysus, ive stood up for this guy a fair bit in this thread, when attacks became personal.....

but listening to his interview with Kathleen Lynch this morning im sickened with him..... ok we know hes like a dog with a bone with thsi very important issue, but general courtesy is the minimum a radio presenter should have with his interviewees.

He consistently badgered her when he didnt get the answer he wanted. There was a constant "ok... ok ... ok" when she tried to answer his very pointed questions, and EVERY SINGLE TIME he jumped ontop before she finished with some down-putting comment.

He took the biscuit by saying to her live on air that he wanted her to be the 'saving light' (or some such) but on talking to her hes so disappointed with her.

Disgraceful interview to be honest..... it was not at all informing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sydthebeat wrote: »
    it was not at all informing...

His interviews are only every informing about how poor he is and how he thinks that badgering and talking over people are good interview techniques. Unfortunately many of his listeners think it is and will be texting in about how how good he was and never let her away with anything.

I caught the Gordan Ramsey interview yesterday and the only texts that were read out were the ones along the lines of OMG I'm getting wet here listening to him, me and my sister want him to be the filling in our sandwich. Very juvenile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Y'know I listened to that interview this morning and my first instinct was to think how overbearing he was being, blaming her for everything, jumping down her throat, but I thought it was just me being annoyed with him like I usually am. Having read the few posts here I realise that my biased opinion was indeed correct! When he told her he was disappointed with her because he thought she'd be the one to save/fix it (whatever he said) it sounded like a dad scolding a bold child, embarrassing, patronising and just ridiculous.

Why does he have this notion that he's an ambassador and representative for everything wrong with Ireland (as he sees it)? He's a presenter who used to work on children's tv with a turkey and some talking socks and now presents a radio show, where did he get the high horse from?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Agree with everything said above. His increasingly facile world view borders on the absurd. I am no great fan of the current government (nor many of its previous incarnations) and believe that ministers should be taken to task for not performing, but there's a difference in conducting an interview where it's a balance of
    Questions posed : answers given, as opposed to
    Questions posed : interviewer's opinion : beginning of response : interviewer's opinion : interviewer's opinion : question re-posed
    His delusions of grandeur that he's a Paxman or Frost (or even a Browne!) do him no favours. He seems to have no sense of irony, doing an interview on mental health whilst displaying a disturbing level of unwarranted anger. His line of questioning, or should I say attack, was so base I'm surprised he didn't bang the desk and demand to know "Why haven't you stopped all suicide!?"
    Complaining about duplication of services and that everything for some particular field, i.e. teenagers, should be rolled into one organisation just like that. Because rolling all the regional health boards into the HSE was such a roaring success, you know?
    He changed tack in typically clumsy fashion when he was complaining there was "only" €35million allocated, and when he was corrected by saying it was €35million annually for three years as opposed to once off he somewhat snorted and went "Right yeah €105million" and went off on another tangent.

Not only that, but the texts he cherry picked were utterly appalling. He declares with an air of triumph "Let's see what the public think" and continues to read out a total of 2 (two) irate messages. And to add insult, asks in an arrogant manner, "Isn't this great, hearing what the man on the street has to say?" One of the texts in question; A family who just buried their mother the day before after a long history of depression, who despite being unsure of how she died, *assume* it was due to getting pills and overdosing. And his attitude was "Well, what do you think of that?" as though she was directly responsible. May as well blame Alan Shatter for the conflict in Syria.

Oh and not to mention that he played a soundbite of pre-election Enda Kenny promising mental health as a priority, strange he couldn't source the soundbite of him saying he'd leave the country if said politician was elected :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

DuckStab wrote: »
    Agree with everything said above. His increasingly facile world view borders on the absurd. I am no great fan of the current government (nor many of its previous incarnations) and believe that ministers should be taken to task for not performing, but there's a difference in conducting an interview where it's a balance of
    Questions posed : answers given, as opposed to
    Questions posed : interviewer's opinion : beginning of response : interviewer's opinion : interviewer's opinion : question re-posed
    His delusions of grandeur that he's a Paxman or Frost (or even a Browne!) do him no favours. He seems to have no sense of irony, doing an interview on mental health whilst displaying a disturbing level of unwarranted anger. His line of questioning, or should I say attack, was so base I'm surprised he didn't bang the desk and demand to know "Why haven't you stopped all suicide!?"
    Complaining about duplication of services and that everything for some particular field, i.e. teenagers, should be rolled into one organisation just like that. Because rolling all the regional health boards into the HSE was such a roaring success, you know?
    He changed tack in typically clumsy fashion when he was complaining there was "only" €35million allocated, and when he was corrected by saying it was €35million annually for three years as opposed to once off he somewhat snorted and went "Right yeah €105million" and went off on another tangent.

Not only that, but the texts he cherry picked were utterly appalling. He declares with an air of triumph "Let's see what the public think" and continues to read out a total of 2 (two) irate messages. And to add insult, asks in an arrogant manner, "Isn't this great, hearing what the man on the street has to say?" One of the texts in question; A family who just buried their mother the day before after a long history of depression, who despite being unsure of how she died, *assume* it was due to getting pills and overdosing. And his attitude was "Well, what do you think of that?" as though she was directly responsible. May as well blame Alan Shatter for the conflict in Syria.

Oh and not to mention that he played a soundbite of pre-election Enda Kenny promising mental health as a priority, strange he couldn't source the soundbite of him saying he'd leave the country if said politician was elected :rolleyes:

Good post.

I thought he sounded gutted when he asked did Enda Kenny keep his promise from that pre-election sound bite, you could hear the disappointment in his voice when she said they meet once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Oh and not to mention that he played a soundbite of pre-election Enda Kenny promising mental health as a priority, strange he couldn't source the soundbite of him saying he'd leave the country if said politician was elected :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I thought the tone was set for the interview when he first went to play the Enda Kenny soundbite.... but played the Matlock theme tune instead

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Acoshla wrote: »
    Y'know I listened to that interview this morning and my first instinct was to think how overbearing he was being, blaming her for everything, jumping down her throat, but I thought it was just me being annoyed with him like I usually am. Having read the few posts here I realise that my biased opinion was indeed correct! When he told her he was disappointed with her because he thought she'd be the one to save/fix it (whatever he said) it sounded like a dad scolding a bold child, embarrassing, patronising and just ridiculous.

Why does he have this notion that he's an ambassador and representative for everything wrong with Ireland (as he sees it)? He's a presenter who used to work on children's tv with a turkey and some talking socks and now presents a radio show, where did he get the high horse from?

Ha ha I love it :pac: Well said very funny and true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Im no fan of kathleen lynch but I heard her interview with ray and it was Mary wilson but with opinion added.

• Advertisement

Anyone listening to Dara O'Briain?

Ray came back after a break and says “Now we have Dara O’Briain. Actually before we talk about the comedy work… you are a Dad of two too aren’t you?”

Daras reply was brilliant! “Ahhhh is this question so you can talk about your kids?!” :D

Ray laughs nervously and carries on to try and somehow relate his situation to Dara by asking silly questions and telling hilarious stories about the new kid. Dara had zero interest but Ray carried on… Dara AGAIN says “Aaaaah Ray you always turn interviews in to this”. But Ray carries on asking the silly kid questions that he had no interest in answering.

He is a brutal interviewer.

The amount of “ehs” in this interview must be high :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Can't believe I missed that! Good man Dara!

Well done Dara. He will still be none the wiser though, the next interview will be the same ****e it's like he's bringing on guests to force them to listen to his opinions and his family life. We very rarely get a true insight to any of Rays guests due to him constantly interrupting and speaking over them and how the management at the station allow this to continue baffles me.

The most used phrase in any of Ray's interviews has to be " Do ya know what I tthink?, right I'll tell ya".

I wish somebody would tell him we don't give a fùck what he think's, we actually want to hear what the guest thinks.

That would be nice every once in a while Raymond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

threein99 wrote: »
    Good post.

I thought he sounded gutted when he asked did Enda Kenny keep his promise from that pre-election sound bite, you could hear the disappointment in his voice when she said they meet once a month.

But why doesn't Ray do something, he's always on about mental health but he hasn't done anything.
    He seemed to be ignorant of the services that are out there.
    Maybe he should meet with Kathleen and other people in this area and get something done.
    As a spokesperson for Aware he should start a campaign going.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,709 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fifi234ie wrote: »
    But why doesn't Ray do something, he's always on about mental health but he hasn't done anything.
    He seemed to be ignorant of the services that are out there.
    Maybe he should meet with Kathleen and other people in this area and get something done.
    As a spokesperson for Aware he should start a campaign going.

????

perhaps you werent aware of the 'two part' docu-investigation he just did on TV3 ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Professional stuff from Bore-ead today. First of all shes turns up hungover. Then a conversation with Ray went something like this:

Bore-ead: Do you like my eyebrows?
    Ray: Well I couldn't really say now could I?
    Bore-ead: Yes you can! I don't mind what you think!
    Ray: Well they do make you look a bit surprised!
    Bore-ead: No they don't!!! I think they look lovely!

Vain, self centred and spastic spring to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

Paracore wrote: »
    Professional stuff from Bore-ead today. First of all shes turns up hungover. Then a conversation with Ray went something like this:

Bore-ead: Do you like my eyebrows?
    Ray: Well I couldn't really say now could I?
    Bore-ead: Yes you can! I don't mind what you think!
    Ray: Well they do make you look a bit surprised!
    Bore-ead: No they don't!!! I think they look lovely!

Vain, self centred and spastic spring to mind...

She sounded more than hungover to me, she was downright drunk.If some of us turned up to work in that state, we'd be shown the door in 2 seconds. Of course she could've been just putting it on too for 'entertainment'.
    Either way, what's the betting he'll be preaching about responsible drinking attitutudes in the country next week or how he hates how sporting events are sponosored by drinks companies!
    Seriously getting sick and tired of the constant talk about kids. Pretty sure kc has a small one too, yet when he fills in there isn't one word about the family.

I also forgot to mention during the Dara O Briain interview while they were discussing Jimmy Carr, Ray made a comment about how he thinks Jimmy would be a very litigious person.

That was said with a semi judgemental tone.

I found that amusing coming from an idiot who is suing the Irish taxpayer because he tripped up on a pole that he admits he knew was there.

I know he said he would donate any money awarded to a charity but his actions are still litigious. He should get down off his soap box and add this to his list of ever increasing self contradictions along with never owning an iphone, never having a facebook account and leaving the country when Enda Kenny was elected.

Honestly I would have no issue with any of the above if he was not so smarmy and judgemental of people who embrace modern life.

Kids should not be playing playstation according to ray they should be down the road pretending to pull an imaginary rope across it to distract drivers because its a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Horse84 wrote: »
    She sounded more than hungover to me, she was downright drunk.If some of us turned up to work in that state, we'd be shown the door in 2 seconds. Of course she could've been just putting it on too for 'entertainment'.
    Either way, what's the betting he'll be preaching about responsible drinking attitutudes in the country next week or how he hates how sporting events are sponosored by drinks companies!
    Seriously getting sick and tired of the constant talk about kids. Pretty sure kc has a small one too, yet when he fills in there isn't one word about the family.

Why don't we just get KC to run the country with Anton savage as his side kick, pretty sure within a week we would have a functioning economy, a cure for cancer, a debt free society and a decent soccer team!;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

When Brian Cowen did his infamous "morning after" interview, Ray was down on him like a ton of bricks (and rightly so) I clearly remember him saying that he wouldn't dare go for a few pints on a "school" night for fear it would negatively impact his ability to work the next day, even though it's only radio. It was the principle of the thing. I agree with D'arcy on very little but he was right then. Funny how he didn't apply those same principles to his team however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement