Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

A bunch of whiny nerds on the internet isn't the Ray Darcy show's target market so I'd imagine they don't give a flying f*** about this thread of endless whinyness.

One of the most stupid posts I've ever read on boards.ie.:)

ANd I've never been called a "whiny nerd" before either.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

el diablo wrote: »
    One of the most stupid posts I've ever read on boards.ie.:)

This is indeed a proud day in the Bailey household.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Coll79

I used to like my job. For 3 years, i've had to work in a room with a woman who listens to nothing but Today FM all day, while herself and Ray D'Arcy go through this everlasting, menopause. You know you're up Sh*t Creek and theres a hole in the boat when you're looking forward to The 3 Stooges coming on at midday.

Didnt really know the band this morning but they were good and Ray was really curt, cringey and insulting tbh. 2 great songs btw. Usual unprofessional interview, nothing new there.

Ray, you're not funny man. Please stop trying to be a comedian just 'cos that plum from Finglas sniggers every now and then. I feel sorry for the guy Will banished to the corner since Anton Savage left.

Not sure how many more "Ahh Yaa" "Jaaaaney Maac" "sitting at home crying my eyes out" patronising D'arcyisms i can take!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Oh Jesus Christ. He's on about 50 shades of Grey AGAIN!!!!!

I know him and his crew are waaaaaaaay above reading that book. Only silly women would like it. No way would that yoke he's going out with, or the plum from Finglas lower themselves to the level of the masses and read it. Much better to snigger at the book that's at the top of the Best Sellers list, and get in some people to read it for them instead, only one of them honest enough to admit that they liked it.

I can't stand that flute any more. He was on in the background of the dentist waiting room I was in, and I so much looked forward to going to the chair and getting away from him, and his patronising, politically correct, unfunny quips. If only Anton Savage could beat the **** out of him, and take over instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

See theyve run out of ideas for tings to do on d show so back to blind dates again. I wonder does ready secretly live in a closet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Oh Jesus Christ. He's on about 50 shades of Grey AGAIN!!!!!

I know him and his crew are waaaaaaaay above reading that book. Only silly women would like it. No way would that yoke he's going out with, or the plum from Finglas lower themselves to the level of the masses and read it. Much better to snigger at the book that's at the top of the Best Sellers list, and get in some people to read it for them instead, only one of them honest enough to admit that they liked it.

I can't stand that flute any more. He was on in the background of the dentist waiting room I was in, and I so much looked forward to going to the chair and getting away from him, and his patronising, politically correct, unfunny quips. If only Anton Savage could beat the **** out of him, and take over instead.

I do believe that Jenny and Mairead have read it already.
    In my opinion insults don't help to prove your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I listened from roughly 10:30-11:20 this morning, and in that time there was an entire mix of both the very best and very worst that the show can be.

Started off with an interview with John Mahoney. Fairly good interview, interesting, light hearted. Enjoyable.

Then he reverted to type, and had a guy making a sandwich with his feet. Visual things work so well on radio.

In that same slot, he asked the girl "You have been intimate with him yeah?"

Terrible.

Moving on, Arthur Murphy was excellent as usual, but in the same link, Ray used the "I did a bit of ______" line. Pass.

After 11, they talked about Fifty Shades of Gray, AGAIN. And then moved on to setting up their latest dating slot.

amiable wrote: »
    I do believe that Jenny and Mairead have read it already.
    In my opinion insults don't help to prove your point.

I don't care about your opinion. I'm voicing mine here. You ovbiously are an ardent fan since you've listened enough to that show to know that they read it. Again, I don't care if they did or not. I used to like the show when it first started, but the smugness of the team that grew over the years, with exception to Will, just annoys me, hence why I don't listen any more. When I do hear it, it's the same old attitude, with the same old guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I don't care about your opinion. I'm voicing mine here. You ovbiously are an ardent fan since you've listened enough to that show to know that they read it. Again, I don't care if they did or not. I used to like the show when it first started, but the smugness of the team that grew over the years, with exception to Will, just annoys me, hence why I don't listen any more. When I do hear it, it's the same old attitude, with the same old guff.
    So you got your facts wrong and now you are throwing your toys out of the pram. Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

neris wrote: »
    See theyve run out of ideas for tings to do on d show so back to blind dates again. I wonder does ready secretly live in a closet.

It's constantly repeating itself. A prime example of this would be Ray saying, the nation needs a laugh so we've decided to cheer you up !! Now at this point you're thinking...great maybe some Michael McIntyre or Dave Chappelle or somebody funny , but no, those comedians are not Ray D'arcy !!! We have to listen about his grannys fcuking bush . It wasn't funny first time not funny second time and twenty times later its eye gougingly painful. Really wish they would replace this show with something original or entertaining .

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    So you got your facts wrong and now you are throwing your toys out of the pram. Well done :D

Aw, bless. A childish reference. Ring Ray tomorrow and tell him. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

STER --- EEEE ---OOOO

STER --- EEEE ---OOOO

Laughed at that and thought of this thread. He can come across as very condescending at times.

Clanket wrote: »
    STER --- EEEE ---OOOO

STER --- EEEE ---OOOO

Laughed at that and thought of this thread. He can come across as very condescending at times.

Try every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

It's constantly repeating itself. A prime example of this would be Ray saying, the nation needs a laugh so we've decided to cheer you up !! Now at this point you're thinking...great maybe some Michael McIntyre or Dave Chappelle or somebody funny , but no, those comedians are not Ray D'arcy !!! We have to listen about his grannys fcuking bush . It wasn't funny first time not funny second time and twenty times later its eye gougingly painful. Really wish they would replace this show with something original or entertaining .

The above post sums up the overall differences of opinions on this thread very well.You say he should have someone funny on like Michael McIntyre(i'm a big fan of McIntyre by the way) or Dave Chappelle, many many people don't find these comedians in the slightest bit funny also you say they should replace this show with something original or entertaining the problem here is over 200,000 people disagree with that statement.Its all about personal taste and opinion and unfortunately or fortunately (whichever side of the divide you are on) until the shows starts shedding listeners at an alarming rate there will be no change as generally people are happy with the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

JM Skipton wrote: »

The above post sums up the overall differences of opinions on this thread very well.You say he should have someone funny on like Michael McIntyre(i'm a big fan of McIntyre by the way) or Dave Chappelle, many many people don't find these comedians in the slightest bit funny also you say they should replace this show with something original or entertaining the problem here is over 200,000 people disagree with that statement.Its all about personal taste and opinion and unfortunately or fortunately (whichever side of the divide you are on) until the shows starts shedding listeners at an alarming rate there will be no change as generally people are happy with the format.[/Quote

Listen, I think you're missing the essence of my post. I'm not suggesting everyone should like both those comedians, I just used them as examples. The point I'm trying to convey is that Ray has become so full of his own hype that he believes everyone can't wait for him to entertain us, and more often than not he acts like by doing this he's making our day and we should be grateful.

I also find the ratings system questionable. I would consider this forum a broad section of the community and I don't see him getting much love here.

Maybe I'm wrong but it'd be interesting to see that poll at the start of the thread reopened and, janey mac maybe then we'd hear what the man on the street thinks, aaahhhh I dunno .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ray has become so full of his own hype that he believes everyone can't wait for him to entertain us, and more often than not he acts like by doing this he's making our day and we should be grateful.

Yep, sums him/the show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

JM Skipton wrote: »

The above post sums up the overall differences of opinions on this thread very well.You say he should have someone funny on like Michael McIntyre(i'm a big fan of McIntyre by the way) or Dave Chappelle, many many people don't find these comedians in the slightest bit funny also you say they should replace this show with something original or entertaining the problem here is over 200,000 people disagree with that statement.Its all about personal taste and opinion and unfortunately or fortunately (whichever side of the divide you are on) until the shows starts shedding listeners at an alarming rate there will be no change as generally people are happy with the format.[/Quote

Listen, I think you're missing the essence of my post. I'm not suggesting everyone should like both those comedians, I just used them as examples. The point I'm trying to convey is that Ray has become so full of his own hype that he believes everyone can't wait for him to entertain us, and more often than not he acts like by doing this he's making our day and we should be grateful.

I also find the ratings system questionable. I would consider this forum a broad section of the community and I don't see him getting much love here.

Maybe I'm wrong but it'd be interesting to see that poll at the start of the thread reopened and, janey mac maybe then we'd hear what the man on the street thinks, aaahhhh I dunno .
    There's approx 12 people commenting here who all dislike Ray & his show. This in no way can be counted as a broad section of the community,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lelantos wrote: »
    There's approx 12 people commenting here who all dislike Ray & his show. This in no way can be counted as a broad section of the community,
    The poll at the top of the page says quite a lot more than 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

And around four people here that do actually like him and the show.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    About a dozen who comment, this is a hatchet thread & not representative of his huge national audience. For the record, I do not listen to his show, can't stand it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Have asked a mod to open that again for a while. There may not be too many commenting here, but it says a lot that almost every comment is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The problem I see with this thread is that a lot of the time a poster comes on and says something positive they get a triage of people (usually the same posters too) who will then post and say no your wrong for "X" reason, to the point where the poster saying the positive thing feels like they can't post here because their point won't get across. I know of 1 person personally who thinks this and another poster who I was talking to via PM on a different topic then this thread popped up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like him don't listen.

Have asked a mod to open that again for a while. There may not be too many commenting here, but it says a lot that almost every comment is bad.
    It doesn't actually, its like saying a KKK rally doesn't have many black people at it. This thread is mainly used to knock the show, Rays fans stay away from it, otherwise we would have 150k offended housewifes baying for our blood for daring to say boo to their darling Ray.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like him don't listen.

Janey mack. If you've said it before, you must have read the responses saying "I don't have a choice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Janey mack. If you've said it before, you must have read the responses saying "I don't have a choice".

Explain to me how you don't have a choice?

and no I didn't because I've added this at the end of my post, which pretty much everyone agreed with, sell sorry nobody disagreed so going by this thread that must mean I'm right (ref: the people saying sure this thread has mainly people dissing the show, so it must be crap)

"Like I said don't listen if you don't like him, there are plenty of other radio stations out there.

...awaits the silly are you Jenny posts, followed up by the "how dare you tell me to..." and "I work in an office and can't control the radio" posts (because if your in work and able to listen to every word he says I dare say your not working) that get thanked by the same people who complain week in week out about the show."

Explain to me how you don't have a choice?

and no I didn't because I've added this at the end of my post, which pretty much everyone agreed with, sell sorry nobody disagreed so going by this thread that must mean I'm right (ref: the people saying sure this thread has mainly people dissing the show, so it must be crap)

"Like I said don't listen if you don't like him, there are plenty of other radio stations out there.

...awaits the silly are you Jenny posts, followed up by the "how dare you tell me to..." and "I work in an office and can't control the radio" posts (because if your in work and able to listen to every word he says I dare say your not working) that get thanked by the same people who complain week in week out about the show."

I'm obviously not going to bother with the assumptions that you are making but yes I listen in work.

There are plenty of positive posts on this thread from the same people that post the negatives. Unfortunately the negatives far outweigh the positives.

I used to really enjoy the show about 6 or 7 years ago, but it isn't the same show anymore. I would love to see it replaced. Would like to see them take a few risks and maybe entertain us in the process.

Also, I think the "you must be Jenny" style posts are against the charter these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

This thread has been a hatchet thread for a long time. I'm surprised it hasn't been closed like the old Ray Foley threads. I am a fan of the show and wouldn't listen to anything but Today FM in work and that's by choice btw. But... the show needs a little bit of freshening up and Ray needs to seriously look at his interview techniques. Nothing wrong with criticism when it's constructive and like another poster said, the reason I wouldn't post anything positive in here on a regular basis is that more than likely it will be drowned out by the negativity, name calling and borderline abuse from the people who hate the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Agree with Jason Todd, I also love the show, and for a while I used to defend it, but as said the hate takes over in other posts so I have stopped.
    Having a poll doesn't give a true representation of peoples views, I have only 1 other friend that uses boards, but have many that enjoy his show and I would guess that the majority of his listeners aren't boards users.
    At times I often say Ray will you shut up and let the guest answer, or leave mairead alone, I do think he bullies her a bit. But 85% of the time I really really enjoy it, I thought his interview with Michael winslow on thur was hilarious. And he didn't mention his son all week.
    All the radio threads on boards generally have a dislike for the presenter, liveline, Foley, Mooney, tubridy, Hayes etc. People seem to think that if your in the public eye you're fair game.

But lads it's as clear as day in the charter that anything directed personally at the presenter rather than their style isn't allowed.

The good bits are often pointed out here and rarely disputed. The problem is, the good bits are few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

All the radio threads on boards generally have a dislike for the presenter, liveline, Foley, Mooney, tubridy, Hayes etc. People seem to think that if your in the public eye you're fair game.

It's worse than that. If you're in the public eye you're sh!t... Especially if you're Irish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement