Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Report the post if you've a problem with it, you're on the site long enough to know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol Jenny Kelly slagging off fake american accents in noughties Ireland?

The ironing.

My take on it back in '05:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3026051&postcount=5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

They do have a point I'm surrounded by people with that type of accent all day in college but it's not like she can complain with the accent she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Amz wrote: »
    Report the post if you've a problem with it, you're on the site long enough to know that.

Let moderators moderate their own boards. You're on the site long enough to... oh nevermind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I posted a lot earlier in the thread, think i said something along the lines of being a bit tired of listening to Ray talking about kids ever since his child came along.

I can't believe that people are allowed post things like the above poster did. If that was posted in the 'personal issues' forum, the poster would be banned for personal abuse/advocating violence.

Why is it that just because these people work in Radio that they should be subjected to this kind of abuse?

If you have nothing constructive to post, everyone would be of benefit if you didn't post at all.

She does deserve a slap

She's wretchedly ugly too
    560687.jpg
    Ugh
    *shivers*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

As I say in the charter I accept that radio presenters have put themselves in a public position and should be open to criticism but I would like to ask that any criticism be directed to their radio programme and their skills at producing that programme.

I know people aren't actually advocating violence towards some of the presenters mentioned here... at least I hope not. But try and tone things down a notch.

Thanks.

Oh... and do report posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I'm delighted to come across this thread because I have been going on the people I work with lately about how annoying and smug Ray Darcy has gotten. I hate people like him with an opinion on everything and anything. The crew he works with are twats too.

I have now switched to i102-104fm which is a new station in the West/North West where the jocks aren't smug a******* and actually play a selection of all music and not the same current chart hits over and over again like 2fm and today fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Lads, D'Arcy's a knob - of that there is no doubt, but I'm not surprised that he's got a prominent radio time-slot.

Remember, this is Ireland. The most widely read newspaper in this country is the Irish Independent - so it's hardly surprising that a twit like D'Arce is popular. There is a sizeable segment of this population who think Steve Staunton deserved another chance, who thought that everyone was ganging up on poor Bertie before the election - the "Ireland's Call" brigade.

That [The Irelands Call brigade] prety much sums up the sad state of affairs that Ireland has found itself in going back to the mid 90s....

Unlike the posts i've read on this thread, I like the show, and as naff as it sounds, the 'chemistry' between Ray and the girlfriend Jenny. Wouldn't be a fan of the rest of the production team tho.

Plus just recently been 'tuning into' some dude on Newstalk at around lunchtime (Eamon Keane?) and its a complete breath of fresh air......gets my approval...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

greatdeeds wrote: »
    That [The Irelands Call brigade] prety much sums up the sad state of affairs that Ireland has found itself in going back to the mid 90s....

Unlike the posts i've read on this thread, I like the show, and as naff as it sounds, the 'chemistry' between Ray and the girlfriend Jenny. Wouldn't be a fan of the rest of the production team tho.

Plus just recently been 'tuning into' some dude on Newstalk at around lunchtime (Eamon Keane?) and its a complete breath of fresh air......gets my approval...

Eamon 'eh ah eh ah' Keane? Annoys me to be honest but I listen from 12.30 to 1 to get away from Ronan Collins.

I prefer Keane to Darcy purely because Keane doesn't have so many crusades! And Darcy is probably a better presenter but I don't care, I go for the content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭okshea

eggggggggcelent!,im glad there are people out there who are gettin peeved by Mr Darcy,my main gripe would be his over reliance on text ins and especially that coincidentially the texts 99.9% of the time agree with his point of view,+ when he gets bands on and I know its nice to be nice and all that but according to the txts he (chooses) to read, ever band is bloody orgasmically mindnumbingly brilliant,quite annoying meez thinks fellow boarders,:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

okshea wrote: »
    eggggggggcelent!,im glad there are people out there who are gettin peeved by Mr Darcy,my main gripe would be his over reliance on text ins,:D

I think 99% of radio shows all do that:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

While i agree alot of radio shows do rely on texts i found that our man darcy relies more then anyone else out there.

Just to let you know since i last posted i have stopped listening completely to darcy and im the better for it!! he was seriously beginning to bug me. I listen to anything else bar him! Glad he was brought down a few pegs with his lack of meteor award! Do you think that hurt?!!

Has he gone back to been a good dj yet i take it no!! Oh well this former fan will continue searching the airwaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I've stopped listening... I've decided that even Gerry Ryan is better then him. G Ryan is so pompous, at least I get a laugh at him. I find Jenny so incredibly sarcastic, and I don't want to hear any personal jokes between them. Leave your home life at home.

Pity, as I used to be Rarcy's no. 1 fan.

Same with Foley. I've started listening to the 2fm request show on the same time. Its brilliant, and the presenter (Nicki??) is quite funny and there are loads of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Dinkie wrote: »
    I've stopped listening... I've decided that even Gerry Ryan is better then him. G Ryan is so pompous, at least I get a laugh at him. I find Jenny so incredibly sarcastic, and I don't want to hear any personal jokes between them. Leave your home life at home.

Pity, as I used to be Rarcy's no. 1 fan.

Feel exactly the same way.

I'm sure no meteor did hurt and the next batch of ratings will have a big effect on the show.

If there's a huge decline, which there might be, what does he do next? As Morrissey would say "Best friend on the payroll oh no no no, it's not gonna work out!"

I listened to his interview with Com Farrell and Brendan Gleeson and it was the best radio i've heard in years, radio changes year to year and people change, D'arcy has transformed radio since 2000 and is still must listen radio today, other dj's have copied him and his style of radio Moncrieff for example but he and his like are poor substitutes for d'arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dirtybarry

in fairness to ray he is grand..i do like him and i still like the show..but sometimes when he really does take the moral high ground i would love to ask him whats the view like up there looking down on the rest of us

jenny kelly...again i heard her today racing to the mic to give her tuppence worth on something she knew nothing about..an absolute idiot.and know i hear them doing radio advertisements together..an irish richard and judy anybody??someone high up in today fm would be well advised to tell miss kelly to pipe down and not to get ideas above her station..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

she's at it again why am i listening to this crap.

she's giving her opinion (shock!!!!) on girls groping men.

according to miss jenny "d4" kelly its fine, however vice versa and the guy should be arrested.

no justification for her stupid opinion, she instead just attacked those with different justified opinions on the situation. She should run for public office!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 radiofeed

Badabing wrote: »
    I listened to his interview with Com Farrell and Brendan Gleeson and it was the best radio i've heard in years, radio changes year to year and people change, D'arcy has transformed radio since 2000 and is still must listen radio today, other dj's have copied him and his style of radio Moncrieff for example but he and his like are poor substitutes for d'arcy.

Moncrieff (a DJ?) has copied Darcy ? What planet are you from ? Sean Moncrieff is in a league of his own. He's smart, funny and can handle any subject matter. He doesn't need mind-numbingly boring topics and he doesn't need a sidekick.

radiofeed wrote: »
    Moncrieff (a DJ?) has copied Darcy ? What planet are you from ? Sean Moncrieff is in a league of his own. He's smart, funny and can handle any subject matter. He doesn't need mind-numbingly boring topics and he doesn't need a sidekick.

Exactly like D'arcy, are you saying that he didn't copy D'arcy style in any way re: reading out a million texts etc... only difference is moncrieff talks more crap cause he doedn't play music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

He admitted this morning that he only ever has had one pint of guinness.

That explains it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 radiofeed

Exactly like D'arcy, are you saying that he didn't copy D'arcy style in any way re: reading out a million texts etc... only difference is moncrieff talks more crap cause he doedn't play music.

Darcy the DJ didn't invent reading out texts. I doubt Sean Moncrieff ever uses Darcy as a reference to copy anything. The programmes really are different to each other. Thankfully Moncrieff doesn't need music to fill his programme - he can actually speak intelligently for two and a half hours and has some fantastic contributors. Room for both I'd say - but don't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I really like Ray Darcy :( ... at one stage i was losing my patience with the show, his target audience arent that of stay at home mums, his target audience are early 20's to late 30's mainly office people, or those driving!! I think at one stage he lost that ... but its finally coming back ...
    I did cringe this morning when i heard him say he cried last night watching some tv show but then thought awwwwwwwww he is only human!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Iam afraid he has lost this listener, i can't stomach his i know best attitude any more. The trouble is he must take a side in an argument and that is it, he is right you are wrong!

Its being one month since i gave up and my life/mornings i think are better for it. I may crawl back one of these days but at the moment i think he's gotta win me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

cabrwab wrote: »
    Iam afraid he has lost this listener, i can't stomach his i know best attitude any more. The trouble is he must take a side in an argument and that is it, he is right you are wrong!

Its being one month since i gave up and my life/mornings i think are better for it. I may crawl back one of these days but at the moment i think he's gotta win me back!

+1

After months of getting stressed over what D'Arcy was ranting on his soapbox about that morning, I have turned off...and I am lot happier for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

+2

I listened to the show for around 4 years, but my boss changed the station to Radio 1 a couple of months and I never bothered to change it back. I think all of Today FM's line up is gone to the dogs
    Ian Dempsey - not too bright and his show has become so predictable
    Darcy - spends 3 hours moaning and forcing his opinions on his listeners with a couple of bland songs thrown in between
    Ray Foley - I actually like hime but I think the show will tire very quickly
    Tony Fenton - again, the show is so predictable, does he have alzheimer's?
    Matt Cooper - used to like him but he has become so arrogant. Instead of allowing enough time to cover a topic properly he comes back to it every day and still doesn't cover it in full.

+2

I listened to the show for around 4 years, but my boss changed the station to Radio 1 a couple of months and I never bothered to change it back. I think all of Today FM's line up is gone to the dogs
    Ian Dempsey - not too bright and his show has become so predictable
    Darcy - spends 3 hours moaning and forcing his opinions on his listeners with a couple of bland songs thrown in between
    Ray Foley - I actually like hime but I think the show will tire very quickly
    Tony Fenton - again, the show is so predictable, does he have alzheimer's?
    Matt Cooper - used to like him but he has become so arrogant. Instead of allowing enough time to cover a topic properly he comes back to it every day and still doesn't cover it in full.

I mostly listen to today fm it's not perfect but alot better than newstalk and radio 1, plus the jnlr results are very positive two shows in the top10. back on topic Ray D'arcy is the best show on radio imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ray D'arcy is the best show on radio imo.
    Thats probably true, if by "best" you mean "biggest pile of condescending, self indulgent" and by "show" you mean "drivel".

Yea, I'd have to agree with that.

...although it probably is a little too kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Mr. d'Arcy HAS lost the plot....

Especially since he got sprogged up...there is now a whole "look at us we are great parents" vibe going on with him, Jd4K, Mairead(not so gorgeous) Farrell and Will.
    It has become soooooo annoying. You would almost think they were the only people on the planet to have kids...

Also those langers, who txt in with "the hairs stood up on the back of my neck" for every guest who sings in studio, should be taken out and shot...

Grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad::mad::mad:

BTW Rock on Zulu!! Excellent post!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Awww, shucks :o

Cheers old boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

Can't believe that somebody above suggested switching to 2fm's All request Lunch with Nikki ( with a k ) Hayes. Sometimes I think that the show is an elaborate hark-back to the Japanese Endurance / Torture games that used to be on TV in the 80's. See if you can last 2 hours listening to this skanger and her funny txt slang version of the english language, I defy you !!!

And who told Ray D'arcy that he had to become mr high morals / ultra pc and ram it down our throats ? Cretin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement