Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Is it any wonder we need a Suicide Awareness Week, I'd say Ray is single handedly responsible for its necessity. Brain cancer yesterday (FYI Off The Ball had an interview with Jim Stynes' brother yesterday too, worth a listen), dead babies today, and the usual masses of texters trying to out-misery one another. "I'm in floods"... "I know someone who miscarried"... "Well my child was born with several Syndromes"... "Well I lost three children and I wasn't even pregnant".

Yes these are issues that need highlighting, but his unrelenting obsession with shoehorning misery in wherever he can it is worrying. In the same vein as the oft-mentioned terrible interviews, he had Mumford & Sons in studio a few weeks ago. Decent performance and nothing terrible about the following interview, and for a moment I was thinking it would end competently and professionally... but of course not. The usual post-performance fawning texts, but nothing particularly egregious... then the last one. It was basically along the lines of "We lost our child and their music helped us get through it, and now every time we hear Little Lion Man we think of our dead child." To which Ray says "Isn't that nice?" ...cue uncomfortable shuffling and "Ohh, err yeah..." from the lads. Felt sorry for them.
    There's an element of almost surreality when he goes from such a sombre topic onto something like Des Bishop's next gig (admittedly that's not exactly a positive subject either). Most presenters would make the attempt to ease in and out of the subject, rather than have a Light Entertainment | Misery | Light Entertainment sandwich, but I suppose I expect too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

he read out some bizarre text around 930 about suicide. texter saying that ads for suicide awareness caused a spike in suicides and reminded people that suicide was an option they might have forgotten about and they were worried that if ray read the text out it might result in a suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

neris wrote: »
    he read out some bizarre text around 930 about suicide. texter saying that ads for suicide awareness caused a spike in suicides and reminded people that suicide was an option they might have forgotten about and they were worried that if ray read the text out it might result in a suicide.

I missed that, did he really read that out? It's so complicated and ironic it outstrips the movie inception !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

neris wrote: »

Yeah, heard that, bizarre is the word alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

TheTwiz wrote: »
    I dread going into working listening to this ****e.

Are you one of the people who's "in floods of tears over here listening.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Clanket wrote: »
    Are you one of the people who's "in floods of tears over here listening.."

...in addition to being a 6 foot 6", rugby playing truck driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

telekon wrote: »
    ...in addition to being a 6 foot 6", rugby playing truck driver?
    i was dancing around the kitchen with a 6 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

i was dancing around the kitchen with a 6 year old

While driving from Effin to Kilcock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jason Todd wrote: »
    While driving from Effin to Kilcock

All the while seeing other people in floods of tears/dancing in car/signing to amazing live version of song (delete where appropriate) in other cars, and knowing what they're listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

dulpit wrote: »
    All the while seeing other people in floods of tears/dancing in car/signing to amazing live version of song (delete where appropriate) in other cars, and knowing what they're listening to.

All with their copies of 50 shades of grey on the dash board

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »

All with their copies of 50 shades of grey on the dash board

Ha ha aaaaaaaaaaah Janey Mack I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

"Okay okay I was out the back garden with Kate & Tom & this song popped into my head so I thought I'd play it to get people out of the doom & gloom in this country. Okay where is it gone now.. Stop stop, eject ...ehhhh oh here we go. Oh no wait a second. Ehhhh actually let's go for an ad break"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

"Okay okay I was out the back garden with Kate & Tom & this song popped into my head so I thought I'd play it to get people out of the doom & gloom in this country. Okay where is it gone now.. Stop stop, eject ...ehhhh oh here we go. Oh no wait a second. Ehhhh actually let's go for an ad break"

"Yeah yeah... HOLD ON! Are you on a mobile there? No? It's a bad line there.

Carry on anyway....

WAIT!! This isn't working! The line is bad. Are you on hands free? No?

Right, sure we'll see how it goes...

NO FORGET ABOUT IT!! BAD LINE! CANCEL THE INTERVIEW!"

Funny thing is, this is exactly the way he behaves right before he tells us another depressing story and starts sobbing on air like a six year old girl..

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

I used to think D'Arcy was brilliant. Maybe he was or maybe I just grew up but I find it hard to stomach his show anymore.

Also the way he treated Mortimer yesterday was a disgrace, I lost a lot of respect for him after that. To publicly slag a man who has voluntarily given his time to promote testicular cancer awareness was not on. When he told him he found it hard to get any chat out of him he was slagging himself off because surely as the interviewer, and the man whose job it is to talk, it was his job to get the chat flowing and if it doesn't happen then it is his fault

17larsson wrote: »
    I used to think D'Arcy was brilliant. Maybe he was or maybe I just grew up but I find it hard to stomach his show anymore.

Also the way he treated Mortimer yesterday was a disgrace, I lost a lot of respect for him after that. To publicly slag a man who has voluntarily given his time to promote testicular cancer awareness was not on. When he told him he found it hard to get any chat out of him he was slagging himself off because surely as the interviewer, and the man whose job it is to talk, it was his job to get the chat flowing and if it doesn't happen then it is his fault

No you're dead right he has completely changed over time and that interview was disgraceful in every respect. He never gave the man or the topic any credence.

When he said "check your balls for lumps" I wanted to punch him in the neck I can only imagine Mortimer was the same. If the subject was breast cancer I seriously doubt he would have said, check your tit's for lumps.

In my opinion the man is a little cretin and doesn't merit a spot on regional radio let alone a national station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

No you're dead right he has completely changed over time and that interview was disgraceful in every respect. He never gave the man or the topic any credence.

When he said "check your balls for lumps" I wanted to punch him in the neck I can only imagine Mortimer was the same. If the subject was breast cancer I seriously doubt he would have said, check your tit's for lumps.

In my opinion the man is a little cretin and doesn't merit a spot on regional radio let alone a national station.

I just heard part of that interview. What an absolute dickhead. "Great sort of talking to you" :rolleyes:

MOD EDIT: Infracted for namecalling.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

How many times recently has he told interviewees that they were hard to get talking? Definitely said it to Two-Door Cinema Club and now Mortimer

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How many times recently has he told interviewees that they were hard to get talking? Definitely said it to Two-Door Cinema Club and now Mortimer

And add in 'of monsters and men'....

And also that disgraceful interview with the junior minister for mental health, who's name I can't recall

Ray "Morning"

Celebrity "Morning Ray"

Ray "So you're here to promote your TV show but we'll get to that later. So have you read this 50 Shades book?"

Celebrity "Ehh Yeah I did but..."

Ray cuts him off "Jenny was at home breast feeding Tom while I was off playing with Kate, as its important that when Jenny is with Tom I show Kate attention. Tom is now 12 weeks or is it 13 weeks? Janey Mac I hope Jenny isn't listening. No no its 12 weeks. Anyway I read a study that said Kate may be jealous of Tom so I always show her attention in the evening time. No TV allowed though.Anyway when Jenny was with Tom I caught her reading 50 Shades. I don't know if that's suitable or not. What do ya reckon? Will said he's only 12 weeks so he wouldn't understand the book. Sure what do ya know Will? Hahaha. So any kids yourself?

Celebrity "No not yet"

Ray " You don't speak much do you"

• Advertisement

Ah this is getting fúckin' ridiculous...

11:40 guest is Mairead Farrell ............ talking about 50 shades of grey.

I'm so sick of this shít radio programme!

Today FM - sort it out!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Ah this is getting fúckin' ridiculous...

11:40 guest is Mairead Farrell ............ talking about 50 shades of grey.

I'm so sick of this shít radio programme!

Today FM - sort it out!!!!

That voice is not sexy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

what the hell is that about? sounds like a bunch of giggling school girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Really scraping the barrel here, appealing to the absolute lowest common denominator with this nonsense.

Ray - "Mair
    aid, what is it that you hate most? Isn't it eating bananas in public or something?"

Mairead - "Oh god I just can't do it"

Ray - "Ah ok then, well i've a banana here for ye. Go on and eat it there in front of me like a good girl Mair
    aid"

Mairead - "Are you serious?"

Ray - "Haha it'll be funny. Pretend you're doing something else.. Haha. I don't know pretend you're in 50 Shades or something"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I just found this thread and I am a little bit shocked to say the least. I listen in most mornings on the way to work (mainly because I like Ian Dempsey) and have been slowly but surely hating Ray D'Arcy more and more each day. However, I thought it was just me getting older and more cranky, but now I realize that I am not alone!!!

Hates - mentions of Kate, Mairead Farrell, people dancing around their kitchens with their x-year olds, the constant explaining of his pathetic jokes like we can't figure them out for ourselves, his overarching self-righteousness

Likes - when I get to work and stop listening.

It's getting to the stage now, in fact, that I may hate Ray D'Arcy more than I hate Ray Foley. Now that's a whole 'nother level of hate

Just terrible, terrible bottom of the barrel stuff.

Mairead reading the rubbish to the soundtrack. At one point Ray said something “funny” and then cracked up laughing at his own comedy. He just carried on laughing and apologizing for laughing – he just couldn’t stop, cos his joke was so funny, ya know.

He played the great Sultans of Ping afterwards. Song comes to an end. No “That was Sultans of Ping” or any of that nonsense. Straight in to a text: “Sultans of Ping always reminds me of when I got injuced last year”. WTF? Why would you text that? Why would you read that? What’s the point?

Then goes on to read a couple of texts saying about how great their 50 shades segment was……

If I was Will I’d be trying my best to get out while he still has a bit of credibility.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this week has been the straw thats broken the camels back for me....

any suggestions as to whats a good alternative lads?

pms please if it means i wont drag the thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sydthebeat wrote: »
    this week has been the straw thats broken the camels back for me....

any suggestions as to whats a good alternative lads?

pms please if it means i wont drag the thread off topic.

That's the major problem. There is no decent alternative. I've stopped listening to D'Arcy completely now, and I find that I just don't turn on the radio, I listen to podcasts or music on iTunes/YouTube.

Your alternatives on Irish National radio:

- Pat Kenny on RTE 1.
    - Tubridy for two hours then Colm Hayes on RTE 2
    - NT Breakfast and Tom Dunne on Newstalk

All drab, boring crap IMO.

The closest I can get to a show that I'd listen to at that hour is Spin SW, which just plays a nice bit of music, but then they go and spoil it all by opening their mouths and you remember it's SPIN.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, D'Arcy's listenership figures wouldn't be half as impressive if there was a decent alternative out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

i've been listening to the show for about 9 years now. i used to love it but for the last year or so he has become the most boring, ignorant person. his interviews are terrible, especially the colm mortimer fiasco. darcy really went down in my opinion after that. it was just pure ignorance! and mareaid farrell.......the most self obsessed woman i've ever seen. wtf was that today with 50 shades of grey? why does she even get air time?
    so from now on i'll be listening to tubri......no wait, i'll be listening to tom dun.......ah screw it, i'll just stick a cd on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement