Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lelantos wrote: »
    It seems the reason Conor Mortimer didn't want to talk to Ray was because he already had a deal done with the Indo to talk about the gaa

That's fair enough though. It doesn't really matter what his reason is..

He said he didn't want to talk about it, and as an interviewer, Darcy should respect that.
    He had to ask, its a huge story amongst gaa fans & esp Mayo people. No interviewer, (no matter how bad you may believe them to be), will take the first no as an answer. Simply not done, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

amiable wrote: »
    I'm not D'Arcy's biggest fan either but I'd disagree with you here.
    As an interviewer I think he'd have been slaughtered if he hadn't tried to ask about the GAA
    Lelantos wrote: »
    He had to ask, its a huge story amongst gaa fans & esp Mayo people. No interviewer, (no matter how bad you may believe them to be), will take the first no as an answer. Simply not done, ever.

Of course he had to ask. It's the only story associated with the guy really.

But he said something along the lines of "I have no intention of speaking about it". Fair enough if he wants to try again.

But Darcy persisted for a good six or seven minutes, while getting zero back. He had no back up plan, and didn't talk very much about what the interviewee believed they would be talking about. He then went on to insult the guy a couple of times. Bad form.

I had to google to find the name of the organisation afterwards because he gave it so little coverage. In doing that, I found reference to another interview with a representative on TV the same week. They had the "celebrity" representative, a doctor and a cancer survivor to talk about it.

The Darcy Show should have been focused on that, as that is the reason he was there. He wasn't there to talk about the GAA and didn't want to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Heard the first half of the Rubberbandit interview and laughed my ass off. Loved it when he said

"Someone had a bet with me to see how long I could keep D'Arcy arguing about milk on the radio." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Heard the first half of the Rubberbandit interview and laughed my ass off. Loved it when he said

"Someone had a bet with me to see how long I could keep D'Arcy arguing about milk on the radio." :pac:

D'arcy's really scraping the barrel now. Their fifteen minutes has long expired.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

el diablo wrote: »
    D'arcy's really scraping the barrel now. Their fifteen minutes has long expired.

15 sold out shows in Edinburgh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

15 sold out shows in Edinburgh
    Plus a comedy gig on C4 with frankie boyle & a tv series in the pipeline. Bit more than 15 mins worth there.

Far from it, as others have posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm a fan of the show in general but is just me or is there a lot more depressing segments these days?
    Today FM ‏@todayfmofficial
    On #RayDarcy today - panel of people directly affected by suicide, Barry and Tony from Gay Daddy and author John Boyne pops in. Til 12!

How many more texts from Liam in Kilkenny (who coincidentally seems to agree wholeheartedly with Ray) are they going to read out? :rolleyes:

Suicide segment is heartbreaking stuff though. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the show in general but is just me or is there a lot more depressing segments these days?

Yeah, I turned it off. Things are depressing enough without hearing terribly sad stories on the radio.
    I'm glad they're talking about it and raising awareness but I want some light relief at this hour of the day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

that husband going on about grading his wifes cooking sounds like a patronising p***k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

neris wrote: »
    that husband going on about grading his wifes cooking sounds like a patronising p***k.

Seriously?

Feckin neanderthal. :mad:

The more I hear the sound advice of the agony aunt Niamh Fitzpatrick, the more I wonder how that spoofer Quentin Fottrell got away with spouting rubbish for so long. The depth and sincerity of their advice is worlds apart.

why do "song writers" feel the need to write cringeworthy country music style songs every blue moon when they get to croke park.

why do "song writers" feel the need to write cringeworthy country music style songs every blue moon when they get to croke park.

Same reason why there's a new version of "Ole Ole Ole" released every two years. €€€€€'s

That sound of crunching and chewing is doing my nut. :mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Ha I actually thought they were very funny. Enjoyed Chris O Dowd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Prefer newstalk myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

That sound of crunching and chewing is doing my nut. :mad::rolleyes:

Especially if you're wearing headphones.

NO EATING ON THE RADIO PLEASE!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Didn't hear him.
    Was it a good segment?
    What did Ray say about Moone Boy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

the munching of crisps nearly drove me bonkers.i had to change channels for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Didn't hear him.
    Was it a good segment?
    What did Ray say about Moone Boy?!

Ray said he thought it was brilliant. He thought it was a show for all the family but still had the spectre of doubt regarding its suitability for young Tom and Kate.

To alleviate his fears he polled the nation and wouldn't ya know it... he needn't have worried at all the nation confirmed Ray's thoughts that Moone boy is indeed perfect for family viewing and the Irish and English censorship office can stick their opinions up their hole.

Chris O Dowd is very easy to listen to and despite a bad line he survived the full interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

The more I hear the sound advice of the agony aunt Niamh Fitzpatrick, the more I wonder how that spoofer Quentin Fottrell got away with spouting rubbish for so long. The depth and sincerity of their advice is worlds apart.

Does she call herself 'N' the same way Quentin had his 'Q' shtick?

Does she call herself 'N' the same way Quentin had his 'Q' shtick?

Ha ha, thankfully no!

The Chris O'Dowd interview today was very enjoyable.

In fact, the entire show was enjoyable today apart from two things:

1. Continuing to read out texts from "Liam in Kilkenny" :rolleyes:
    2. Ray saying "You can **** off Mr.Whatever" when talking to O'Dowd about his days in school. I'm far from someone who has a problem with swearing, and wouldn't be one of those people who'll no doubt write to Today FM about it, but it just struck me as unprofessional. It's not the first time he's done it either, and it really smacks of him trying to shock the audience.

But all in all, a very good show IMO. And it's not often these days that I can say that!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The Chris O'Dowd interview today was very enjoyable.

In fact, the entire show was enjoyable today apart from two things:

1. Continuing to read out texts from "Liam in Kilkenny" :rolleyes:
    2. Ray saying "You can **** off Mr.Whatever" when talking to O'Dowd about his days in school. I'm far from someone who has a problem with swearing, and wouldn't be one of those people who'll no doubt write to Today FM about it, but it just struck me as unprofessional. It's not the first time he's done it either, and it really smacks of him trying to shock the audience.

But all in all, a very good show IMO. And it's not often these days that I can say that!

I'd add a no. 3 to that... The munching and crunching of crisps on air. Pointless exercise, could they not have done the testing off air and given the results on air?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You'll be glad to know that Ray's son Tom slept for 7 hours or so last night:rolleyes:
    I simply can't believe that someone wouldn't be self-aware enough to tone down the baby talk especially when it's your own. Other people are NOT interested.
    Ray D'Arcy is very popular though. :eek: So maybe people are? I don't know any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You'll be glad to know that Ray's son Tom slept for 7 hours or so last night:rolleyes:
    I simply can't believe that someone wouldn't be self-aware enough to tone down the baby talk especially when it's your own. Other people are NOT interested.
    Ray D'Arcy is very popular though. :eek: So maybe people are? I don't know any more.

He actually said before it "you probably don't care ......... but". Yes Ray, we don't give a flying fook. If you put some sort of spin on your personal stories to make it entertaining, they would be tolerable, but coming out with "Tom Darcy slept a full seven hours last night" just is not entertaining. I actually said “Ah jaysus” out loud

I was partly saved for the past few days by the kind people of RTE transmissions who were working on the mast and Today FM was off air most of the day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Imagine my delight when Darcy was cut off mid sentence first thing Monday morning. I was tempted to get in the car, climb the mountain and hug the guy that was working up there. That was until the smartphones started to come on….

What’s worse than Darcy on FM every morning in your ear? Out of sync Darcy on a few phones, that’s what. Needless to say, the rage has returned.

and then 10 minutes of texts from either parents who had children sleeping soundly all night or didnt know they were expecting and the usual tearful expectant mammy.

• Advertisement

<Snip>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement