Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Lelantos wrote: »
    I think when the bullying is anonymously posted & the site encourages anonymity, questions have to be asked. Maybe tighter guidelines need to be enforced in social media.

The site doesn't encourage anonymity IMO. It makes anonymity an option if you want to ask something that you don't have the courage to ask someone in real life.

But if you want to go down the "encouraging anonymity" route, Boards encourages anonymity because everyone here has a username that isn't their real name. I could set up 20 different accounts and target you with PM's and keep on at setting up more accounts as ones got banned.

Same with Twitter - I could set up 10 different accounts right now and find someone at random and mercilessly abuse them anonymously.

Singling out a particular website is pointless IMO, and I felt the way D'Arcy suggested that they were making profits off of bullying was bang out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What happened this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Lelantos wrote: »
    I think when the bullying is anonymously posted & the site encourages anonymity, questions have to be asked. Maybe tighter guidelines need to be enforced in social media.

The site doesn't encourage anonymity IMO. It makes anonymity an option if you want to ask something that you don't have the courage to ask someone in real life.

But if you want to go down the "encouraging anonymity" route, Boards encourages anonymity because everyone here has a username that isn't their real name. I could set up 20 different accounts and target you with PM's and keep on at setting up more accounts as ones got banned.

Same with Twitter - I could set up 10 different accounts right now and find someone at random and mercilessly abuse them anonymously.

Singling out a particular website is pointless IMO, and I felt the way D'Arcy suggested that they were making profits off of bullying was bang out of order.
    That's why I said social media & didn't pick any one in particular. But a girl died, ask fm or whatever they are called have to tighten their guidelines & put more checks in place. It is done on Twitter & Facebook easily enough.

"Have Biffy Clyro ever thanked you?"

"Well no Ray, they haven't, since I did a crap version of the song that they never really endorsed. Also owing to the fact my career is pretty much non-existent now and they're f*cking huge, I probably should be the one to thank them for my 15 minutes of fame on the back of a cover of a song written by a proper songwriter."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Expect lots of tears texts after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    "Have Biffy Clyro ever thanked you?"

"Well no Ray, they haven't, since I did a crap version of the song that they never really endorsed. Also owing to the fact my career is pretty much non-existent now and they're f*cking huge, I probably should be the one to thank them for my 15 minutes of fame on the back of a cover of a song written by a proper songwriter."

He's a bit deluded isn't he. He's so damn cool he doesn't own a TV and therefore doesn't watch X Factor.

Too cool to watch but was grand with going on the feckin' thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That cancer story was tough going.

The parents are very strong to be able to come on and talk about it.

Fair play to the parents not the easiest thing to talk bout but why does ray insist on asking them how they feel when their told their child is dying. Whats he expecting them to say. "we were over the moon ray, glad we were going to get rid of the little brat".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

De Bhál wrote: »
    That cancer story was tough going.

The parents are very strong to be able to come on and talk about it.
    You can't turn on Irish radio without some host poking about in a cancer misery story.

Am I missing something with Rays rants about the Late Late? His main problem seems that there is no rhyme or reason to it and the guests and the show is just completely random.

Is that not exactly the same as his radio show? Although his radio show is a lot more random and the interviews are poorer quality. I'm not saying Tubs ones are great but...

His show consists of the most random guests. He'll spend half an hour getting outraged about something political. He'll spend the next hour laughing at stupid text messages, then "interview" a famous feminist. He'll then spend half an hour talking to a panel of people who each have four heads.

He is interviewing this lady now, and has already slagged the late late, mentioned 50 shades of grey, his own upbringing, his children, his partner, his home life and on and on and on.

He is such a hypocrite, and this radio show is a pile of shíte.

• Advertisement

And the "WTF Text of the Morning Award (Sponsored by E-Mobile)" goes to.....

SIOBHAIN!!

"I'm so delighted Marian Keys has knocked that sh1te 'Fifty Shades of Gray' of the number one spot. Great to have a decent book up there again! Well done Marian."

Now, I'm not saying Marian Keys is a bad writer, but she's hard Dostoyevsky. I'd hardly consider replacing one trashy novel for women with another trashy novel for women as a great day for literature in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

I thought that one who emailed from Oz about listening on her phone was going to ask Ray to pay her bills haha

The only story ray loves more then a child story is a child with cancer story

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I found it interesting to listen to Ray talk about the Channel 4 ecstasy trial, coupled with the recent drug deaths from MDMA-like substances.

He lets on that he doesn't know too much about the drug, it's effects etc; today saying that he wasn't sure if a listener who'd take 6-7 a night was overdoing it. Curiously he's also previously mentioned before his connection with the rave scene in Dublin in the early 90s, even claiming to have DJ'd.

Either he's full of guff about "being there in '92" or he was attending children's parties at the time, listening to Jive Bunny and thinking that overdoing it on the jelly and ice cream was excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Robbo wrote: »
    I found it interesting to listen to Ray talk about the Channel 4 ecstasy trial, coupled with the recent drug deaths from MDMA-like substances.

He lets on that he doesn't know too much about the drug, it's effects etc; today saying that he wasn't sure if a listener who'd take 6-7 a night was overdoing it. Curiously he's also previously mentioned before his connection with the rave scene in Dublin in the early 90s, even claiming to have DJ'd.

Either he's full of guff about "being there in '92" or he was attending children's parties at the time, listening to Jive Bunny and thinking that overdoing it on the jelly and ice cream was excess.
    I'd say he definitely dj'd at venues where ecstacy was consumed, but probably more by coincidence. He was a regular at some kildare altnernative/indie niteclubs back in the day. I can absolutely state he was not a "rave" dj, but it was hapening around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Am I missing something with Rays rants about the Late Late? His main problem seems that there is no rhyme or reason to it and the guests and the show is just completely random.

Is that not exactly the same as his radio show? Although his radio show is a lot more random and the interviews are poorer quality. I'm not saying Tubs ones are great but...

His show consists of the most random guests. He'll spend half an hour getting outraged about something political. He'll spend the next hour laughing at stupid text messages, then "interview" a famous feminist. He'll then spend half an hour talking to a panel of people who each have four heads.

He is interviewing this lady now, and has already slagged the late late, mentioned 50 shades of grey, his own upbringing, his children, his partner, his home life and on and on and on.

He is such a hypocrite, and this radio show is a pile of shíte.

I take it he wont get a christmas card off you anytime soon

S28382 wrote: »
    I take it he wont get a christmas card off you anytime soon

:confused: What has that got to do with the Ray Darcy Show?

:confused: What has that got to do with the Ray Darcy Show?

Well you seem to dislike the man so much i thought a bit of sarcasm might lighten your mood just a wee bit but obviously not........

S28382 wrote: »
    Well you seem to dislike the man so much i thought a bit of sarcasm might lighten your mood just a wee bit but obviously not........

Have more of a problem with the radio show, rather than the man himself. But thanks for your concern.

Have more of a problem with the radio show, rather than the man himself. But thanks for your concern.

Then dont **** in........whoops i wasnt meant to say that so ill censor the bad word out and put this little fella in for good measure :pac:

• Advertisement

He has an incredible ability to make his guests uncomfortable. Asking loads of inappropriate questions to Sharon Corr... She didn't seem relaxed with him at all.

The interview also included what Ray had for dinner on Friday, and the inevitable mention of his five and a half year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Ray to the sex expert or whatever she was "is there an appetite for watching normal people having sex??" (Stupid question)
    She responds with "ah ray sorry but who doesn't want to watch other people f***king??...."
    Class haha:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

He has an incredible ability to make his guests uncomfortable. Asking loads of inappropriate questions to Sharon Corr... She didn't seem relaxed with him at all.

The interview also included what Ray had for dinner on Friday, and the inevitable mention of his five and a half year old.

What did he ask her, elvis?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

He started asking her about the royalties she earns from Corrs music. She immediately said something like "Ahh Ray, you aren't going to ask me about money again, you did the same last time I was here". He kept digging of course.

He just took a funny tone for the whole interview and she didn't sound relaxed at all.

It's a funny ole thing, I enjoyed the last hour very much. Mumford and Sons sounded great and Ray did well. That last guy Jon Ronson was interesting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Mumford & Sons have to be one of the funniest bands going. Every time they've been on Today FM they've been great craic.

"Who wrote this song?"

-"Ehm, Caoimhe"

:D:D

that jimmy saville interview was head wrecking. can they not get the people they interview to be on a landline or in a place with a decent mobile connection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What was this about?

Isn't he dead? Or was that part of your little joke or what?

Neeson wrote: »
    What was this about?

I'm assuming it was an interview with someone connected to the documentary on ITV about Jimmy Saville diddling kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Neeson wrote: »
    What was this about?

Jimmy Saville has been alleged to be a underage sexual predator by a journalist/retired detective and Ray had the journalist on the (bad) line about the documentary which airs tonight.

I saw no joke there, 'little' or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Jimmy Saville has been alleged to be a underage sexual predator by a journalist/retired detective and Ray had the journalist on the (bad) line about the documentary which airs tonight.

Oh right. I thought they were saying something about there being a bad line because Jimmy was in a coffin. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement