Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Not only does that guy sound completely up himself (the driving challenge couple) but his kids have the wankiest names I've ever heard. Hope the missus hands him his hole in the driving challenge next week.

Infuriating. :mad:

After informing us it was a long week due to sleep deprivation (we know you have a small child Ray) he started up the Crusade-Mobile for Ask.fm.

I text in and asked why he was targeting Ask.fm for the bullies that are on the site when there are bullies on every social networking site, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube. I asked him would they not be better served looking at creating awareness for parents that their kids might be on unsuitable sites or even that their kids may be the ones bullying on the site. Maybe promote better awareness of what kids are upto on the web.

Of course my text wasn't read out, but he did read out one from a listener who suggested all the listeners of the Ray D'Arcy Show bombard Ask.fm with messages asking them why they wouldn't talk to Ray.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Jason Todd wrote: »

After informing us it was a long week due to sleep deprivation (we know you have a small child Ray) he started up the Crusade-Mobile for Ask.fm.

I text in and asked why he was targeting Ask.fm for the bullies that are on the site when there are bullies on every social networking site, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube. I asked him would they not be better served looking at creating awareness for parents that their kids might be on unsuitable sites or even that their kids may be the ones bullying on the site. Maybe promote better awareness of what kids are upto on the web.

Of course my text wasn't read out, but he did read out one from a listener who suggested all the listeners of the Ray D'Arcy Show bombard Ask.fm with messages asking them why they wouldn't talk to Ray.

In fairness to him he only reads out what Will gives to him!

JM Skipton wrote: »
    In fairness to him he only reads out what Will gives to him!

I know, you're right, still doesn't make it any less unbiased. When they have an agenda, that's it, they stick to it. I expect better from them tbh, especially Will considering his media/journalism background.

In fact, maybe Will did give it to him and he chose not to read it out? Either way, it's still very annoying, practically every funny/positive text I've ever sent has been read out on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

He is targeting Ask.fm as there was a recent bully case that ended in a person committing suicide so are you saying he is wrong for doing that? Everyone knows that there is bullying in every walk of life but Ray was merely picking this case out so i think its a bit pathetic of you to have a cry that he didnt read out your text. If ye all actually read some of yer posts ye will notice that in some ways what ye are saying about Ray Darcy is a form of bullying but im sure ye wont see it that as in yer eyes ye are all only pointing out the mans flaws, its a really sad state of affairs when all ye do on this forum is dog a guy that is going about his business but in this case ye think its okay as he is in the public eye.

Now im sure ill get another warning or a ban but hey i dont give a f*ck as going against the grain and having a different opinion to the moaners seems to be frowned upon on this forum.

So i await the mods Pm to tell me im wrong for upsetting the folks that like to whinge and moan as im not allowed to do things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The sound is fairly bad on the live music isn't it?

Bit out of the ordinary for Today FM as it's usually top quality.

S28382 wrote: »
    He is targeting Ask.fm as there was a recent bully case that ended in a person committing suicide so are you saying he is wrong for doing that? Everyone knows that there is bullying in every walk of life but Ray was merely picking this case out so i think its a bit pathetic of you to have a cry that he didnt read out your text. If ye all actually read some of yer posts ye will notice that in some ways what ye are saying about Ray Darcy is a form of bullying but im sure ye wont see it that as in yer eyes ye are all only pointing out the mans flaws, its a really sad state of affairs when all ye do on this forum is dog a guy that is going about his business but in this case ye think its okay as he is in the public eye.

Now im sure ill get another warning or a ban but hey i dont give a f*ck as going against the grain and having a different opinion to the moaners seems to be frowned upon on this forum.

So i await the mods Pm to tell me im wrong for upsetting the folks that like to whinge and moan as im not allowed to do things like that.

If you actually bothered reading what I said, I'm criticising him for targeting Ask.fm because at the end of the day, they are only a website providing a service, and if he is going to pick on one (a form of bullying no?) website, he should pick on them all no? Of course, he said he never wanted anything to do with Facebook before but there is an official Ray D'Arcy Show Facebook page now, so hypocrisy is nothing new here.

And another thing, you actually have the gall to call me a moaner and a knocker, but if you actually ever read this thread before you would see I've done as much defending of Ray on this thread as anyone else. I don't knock him because I dislike him, I listen to the show every day, I'm a regular texter, a bobble-head Ray sits proudly on my desk at work and I helped the show put together a goodie bag for a child with learning difficulties last Christmas through regular contact with the show.

All I was asking for in my last post was fairness from Ray and showing another side to the argument but I was ignored, thats why my criticism is valid.

Do you think you're some sort of rebel by cursing on boards.ie or something? Looking for bans? I know your incendiary posting style from the Waterford City forum, so I should know better than to bite, but you clearly didn't think before you posted that drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

If you actually bothered reading what I said, I'm criticising him for targeting Ask.fm because at the end of the day, they are only a website providing a service, and if he is going to pick on one (a form of bullying no?) website, he should pick on them all no? Of course, he said he never wanted anything to do with Facebook before but there is an official Ray D'Arcy Show Facebook page now, so hypocrisy is nothing new here.

And another thing, you actually have the gall to call me a moaner and a knocker, but if you actually ever read this thread before you would see I've done as much defending of Ray on this thread as anyone else. I don't knock him because I dislike him, I listen to the show every day, I'm a regular texter, a bobble-head Ray sits proudly on my desk at work and I helped the show put together a goodie bag for a child with learning difficulties last Christmas through regular contact with the show.

All I was asking for in my last post was fairness from Ray and showing another side to the argument but I was ignored, thats why my criticism is valid.

Do you think you're some sort of rebel by cursing on boards.ie or something? Looking for bans? I know your incendiary posting style from the Waterford City forum, so I should know better than to bite, but you clearly didn't think before you posted that drivel.
    Only a website providing a service? That absolves them of blame then does it? Soldiers following orders springs to mind.
    He's bloody right to have a go, if ask had any morals they would have rushed to put checks in place to stop this happening again, but they haven't. They are by the very nature if their site allowing this to happen again. Personally I hope Ray makes this his own personal hobbyhorse & keeps shouting about it.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Only a website providing a service? That absolves them of blame then does it? Soldiers following orders springs to mind.
    He's bloody right to have a go, if ask had any morals they would have rushed to put checks in place to stop this happening again, but they haven't. They are by the very nature if their site allowing this to happen again. Personally I hope Ray makes this his own personal hobbyhorse & keeps shouting about it.

No, of course it doesn't absolve them of blame, but Ray is acting like they are criminals who facilitate bullying. They can't keep an eye on all people, all the time. Most of the blame (imo) should be placed at the door of the parents, who are either not regularly monitoring what their kids are upto online or haven't taught them to use the internet responsibly. The internet in fairness can be a dump a lot of the time.

Facebook has an age limit of 13. My daughter is 10, as are all her friends. Most of them are on Facebook, but there is no way in hell I'd let my daughter on it. Facebook aren't going around shutting down all these 10 year olds accounts because it can't! Kids will find ways around it, which is why a large portion of responsibility is with parents.

I have an iPad at home... the first time I let my daughter use the iPad, she dropped it. She got a warning for irresponsibility. Not long after that she went on YouTube after being told not to. Her iPad 'privileges' are gone until me and my partner are satisfied she's responsible enough. We're getting her a (second hand) laptop for Xmas, I don't want her falling behind in terms of typing etc, so she'll have full responsibility over it and there will be parental controls in place on the laptop itself.

I'm not having another situation where she comes home terrified (and had nightmares) after watching some fcuked up video on YouTube in another childs house because her parents didn't give a sh!t about what they were upto online.

Edit: Also, we don't know for definite if Ask.fm are putting new security measures in place or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

What a rebel, probably drives a motorbike and wears dark shades too

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ask.fm is mainly accessed thorough Facebook, you post a link in Facebook looking for people to ask you questions. Therefore anyone who sees the link can reply, therefore people who reply are people who have been accepted as friends.

patents should be clued onto what their kids are doing and saying on the internet. No parent should be allowing 14 year old kids free reign over the net and the sooner that's realised the better, for both the kid and the parents sake.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ask.fm is mainly accessed thorough Facebook, you post a link in Facebook looking for people to ask you questions. Therefore anyone who sees the link can reply, therefore people who reply are people who have been accepted as friends.

patents should be clued onto what their kids are doing and saying on the internet. No parent should be allowing 14 year old kids free reign over the net and the sooner that's realised the better, for both the kid and the parents sake.
    Ask can be accessed thru a lot more than Facebook. 14yo's have phones to access the net, school computers, obliging friends, so laying the blame on parents doesn't wash.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word 'mainly'.....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word 'mainly'.....
    Perhaps you dont realise your argument is without foundation? That you are trying to shift the blame to the victim & her parents.

Perhaps you dont realise your argument is without foundation? That you are trying to shift the blame to the victim & her parents.

Nobody is blaming the victim or the parents? What I'm saying is parents need to be more aware of what kids are doing on the internet and ideally issues would be raised in how kids have access to websites that may not be suitable for them from the sites' end and if Ray D'Arcy wants to highlight these issues then great, but at the moment he is only leading a witch hunt against one website and hasn't slagged Facebook in a long time, funnily enough since the show got it's own page.

That company provide a service. I don't get why they should answer questions.. What questions would he ask?

I don't get it. If a kid is given a phone and recieves text messages from a bully, should the phone company be held accountable?

That company provide a service. I don't get why they should answer questions.. What questions would he ask?

I don't get it. If a kid is given a phone and recieves text messages from a bully, should the phone company be held accountable?
    Again, not the same argument.
    Ask state in their charter that content posted on their site anonymously can be graphic & violent & is not their responsibility. It should be. It's their site & they encourage this behavior as its good for their visitor numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

[QUOTE=Jason Todd Of course, he said he never wanted anything to do with Facebook before but there is an official Ray D'Arcy Show Facebook page now, so hypocrisy is nothing new here.
    [/QUOTE]

As you say the fb page is the "ray d'arcy show" page, I think I can confidently say that he has nothing to do with it. All the shows have their own fb and twitter sites to communicate with all. Its the producers that put all the stuff up on it, not Ray. Calling him a hypocrite for that is probably unjustified.

Again, not the same argument.
    Ask state in their charter that content posted on their site anonymously can be graphic & violent & is not their responsibility. It should be. It's their site & they encourage this behavior as its good for their visitor numbers

I know nothing much about the website but can be fairly sure it is not designed for bullying in mind, but bullies utilise it in that way.

How can you single out one website and not the others. Thousands are bullied on facebook, twitter and the oul telephone.

What exactly would he achieve by talking to them, or what are they trying to achieve?

I think their efforts and time would be better off used closer to home in some sort of hard hitting education campaign.

[QUOTE=Jason Todd Of course, he said he never wanted anything to do with Facebook before but there is an official Ray D'Arcy Show Facebook page now, so hypocrisy is nothing new here.

As you say the fb page is the "ray d'arcy show" page, I think I can confidently say that he has nothing to do with it. All the shows have their own fb and twitter sites to communicate with all. Its the producers that put all the stuff up on it, not Ray. Calling him a hypocrite for that is probably unjustified.[/Quote]

Ok, that's a fair point, but as Michael Weston would probably point out, Ray has often gone back on things he has said, and I'm not including the Enda Kenny thing in that as I never believed he'd actually leave in the first place.

I'm still standing by my original point though, Ray's witch hunt is misguided and he is wasting his energy on the wrong issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Ok, that's a fair point, but as Michael Weston would probably point out, Ray has often gone back on things he has said, and I'm not including the Enda Kenny thing in that as I never believed he'd actually leave in the first place.

I'm still standing by my original point though, Ray's witch hunt is misguided and he is wasting his energy on the wrong issues.

Yeah I can concur and give loads of examples of Rays hypocrisy even excluding the leaving the country thing, the Moone boy thing being the latest. When Ray reviewed it first he was all "ehh yeah okay whatever" like dismissive of the show but, when Chris O Dowd was on he was like "congratulations on the show it is a massive hit over here so funny etc etc etc" basically Ray will swim with the current and always pick the popular opinion and easy fights. If you listened to the show six years ago you would hear his admiration for Bertie Ahearn. The man has become a complete parody of himself. This is only my opinion and I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I dont believe i posted any drivel it is very obvious that if anyone were to upset the regular whinging posters on this site then there is some mod waiting to step in. I didnt say to you that you were a knocker i just cant believe how much people give out about him or his show when they have the power to control it. I hate the Tony Fenton show so i choose not to have it on so therefore it stops me from getting annoyed at every single thing he does or says so all im saying is there is an option.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    [/B]

What a rebel, probably drives a motorbike and wears dark shades too

Haha yeah your bang on i drive a Honda 50 with Dunlop sunglasses from Heatons i do it mostly when driving in the dark as it adds to the effect.

I dont believe i posted any drivel it is very obvious that if anyone were to upset the regular whinging posters on this site then there is some mod waiting to step in. I didnt say to you that you were a knocker i just cant believe how much people give out about him or his show when they have the power to control it. I hate the Tony Fenton show so i choose not to have it on so therefore it stops me from getting annoyed at every single thing he does or says so all im saying is there is an option..

Mods don't jump in and start throwing infractions around in fairness, we're all adults here, and should be able to debate without moderation most of the time. If you've ever received a ban or had a post removed it's because someone reported you.

Also, I completely agree with you about Tony Fenton, I can't stand him :p The reason I don't rant about him the whole time is because I don't care enough to post. Ray is capable of so much better, 3-4 years ago he was one of the best things on radio, I give out because I care :pac:

I dont believe i posted any drivel it is very obvious that if anyone were to upset the regular whinging posters on this site then there is some mod waiting to step in. I didnt say to you that you were a knocker i just cant believe how much people give out about him or his show when they have the power to control it. I hate the Tony Fenton show so i choose not to have it on so therefore it stops me from getting annoyed at every single thing he does or says so all im saying is there is an option.

Man if you chilled out a bit and read the charter, you'd realise that the reason you were warned was for telling people to change the station.... The same thing that you are saying again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ray is capable of so much better, 3-4 years ago he was one of the best things on radio

???

When Ray was:
    - Licking PB Aherns rear ejector?
    - Hyping up 'de propertee ladder' ?
    - Promising to leave this Island if Enda Kenny was ever Taoiseach ?

Man if you chilled out a bit and read the charter, you'd realise that the reason you were warned was for telling people to change the station.... The same thing that you are saying again...
    Why not? If people don't like him or his show, why not say change the channel? Charter also says ad nauseam, don't be a dick, no one on here pays heed to that either.

Why not? If people don't like him or his show, why not say change the channel? Charter also says ad nauseam, don't be a dick, no one on here pays heed to that either.

Ya should report those posts...

The turn it off problem has been answered many many times - this is one of the answers

I dont need to chill out at all but thanks for the suggestion and yes your right thats what im saying again but im not allowed say it directly as its upsets people but yet and still people are allowed dog on Ray Darcy and his show and the man isnt on here to defend himself not that im sure he is not bothered about it.

I get the whole giving out thing and if this thread was called the "i dont like Ray Darcy thread" then fair enough but its not its a place where people can discuss the show but it has derailed into people like you giving out about him all the time all the while when you seem to know everything that happens on the show so it seems to me as if you just listen to the show so you can come on here and have a pop at him.

Ya should report those posts...

The turn it off problem has been answered many many times - this is one of the answers
    I tend not to report "change the channel" posts as I find it falls under the "being a dick" category by doing so.

• Advertisement

Mods don't jump in and start throwing infractions around in fairness, we're all adults here, and should be able to debate without moderation most of the time. If you've ever received a ban or had a post removed it's because someone reported you.

Also, I completely agree with you about Tony Fenton, I can't stand him :p The reason I don't rant about him the whole time is because I don't care enough to post. Ray is capable of so much better, 3-4 years ago he was one of the best things on radio, I give out because I care :pac:

I have never received a ban or have had a post removed i got a lovely yellow card thing attached to my posts in this thread alright although im not to sure what that was going to do to me. I know sometimes my posting style is straight to the point and some folks dont like it but i never abuse the poster i just go after the post.

In regard of having a debate its a very hard thing to do as the people who use this website all of the time seem to get their way most of the time so if anyone goes against them or upsets them then the mods jump in to defend them im not saying it happens all of the time but if definitely does happen.

I do agree with you that the quality of Rays show is not as good as it used to be and when it gets to the point when i dont like it no more then i wont listen to it no more and thats all im saying to the others on this that there is a choice there if the show is not to their liking no more but as for the moment it still is a good funny show (for the most part) and it is definitely the best choice at that time of the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement