Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

S28382 wrote: »
    I dont need to chill out at all but thanks for the suggestion and yes your right thats what im saying again but im not allowed say it directly as its upsets people but yet and still people are allowed dog on Ray Darcy and his show and the man isnt on here to defend himself not that im sure he sint bothered about it.

I get the whole giving out thing and if this thread was called the "i dont like Ray Darcy thread" then fair enough but its not its a place where people can discuss the show but it has derailed into people like you giving out about him all the time all the while when you seem to know everything that happens on the show so it seems to me as if you just listen to the show so you can come on here and have a pop at him.

People are discussing the show. I think you'll find that the vast majority of regular posters here are only too willing to praise him. Look back at the posts surrounding the Glen Hansard interview for example, and there wasn't one negative comment IIRC. Even people who bitch about D'Arcy a lot came out and said fair play to him. I personally make a point of posting everytime there's a segment I really enjoy, and there are others on here that do the same.

But in the same way, if he does something sh*tty, like another dating segment, or an interview with a man who's had a sock that dates back to 1794 and may be the oldest sock in Ireland and then has an entire show devoted to people texting in saying that they've had a sock since 1694 that's never been washed, then you can be damn sure that I'm going to criticise it.

That's the whole point of the thread. DISCUSSION. Good and bad. It's not an Appreciation thread, and I would hate to see it turn into that.

I'll admit that there are some posters who cross the line at times, especially when it comes to personal abuse of Mairead, but there's a Report Post button for that specific reason.

The "You should just change the station!" argument is, frankly, moronic. Read my post that elviscostello linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I do agree with you that the quality of Rays show is not as good as it used to be and when it gets to the point when i dont like it no more then i wont listen to it no more and thats all im saying to the others on this that there is a choice there if the show is not to their liking no more but as for the moment it still is a good funny show (for the most part) and it is definitely the best choice at that time of the day.

Sorry for persisting with off topic stuff, but have you not read any of the responses to your point?

There is no choice for a lot, including myself. Have a look at some of the posts here. The good parts of the show are often pointed out and praised by the same people that post the negative comments. It just happens that the negative outweigh the positive.

That's not down to the posters or moderators in this forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    People are discussing the show. I think you'll find that the vast majority of regular posters here are only too willing to praise him. Look back at the posts surrounding the Glen Hansard interview for example, and there wasn't one negative comment IIRC. Even people who bitch about D'Arcy a lot came out and said fair play to him. I personally make a point of posting everytime there's a segment I really enjoy, and there are others on here that do the same.

But in the same way, if he does something sh*tty, like another dating segment, or an interview with a man who's had a sock that dates back to 1794 and may be the oldest sock in Ireland and then has an entire show devoted to people texting in saying that they've had a sock since 1694 that's never been washed, then you can be damn sure that I'm going to criticise it.

That's the whole point of the thread. DISCUSSION. Good and bad. It's not an Appreciation thread, and I would hate to see it turn into that.

I'll admit that there are some posters who cross the line at times, especially when it comes to personal abuse of Mairead, but there's a Report Post button for that specific reason.

The "You should just change the station!" argument is, frankly, moronic. Read my post that elviscostello linked.

My argument is why are people listening to the show if they dont like it? I think that is a valid question that no one will answer without going on about what it says in the charter. If someone likes the show but sometimes doesnt like a segment in it then fair enough its good to have a different opinion on it but the people that give out all of the time are giving out about Ray or the show in general.

My argument is why are people listening to the show if they dont like it? I think that is a valid question that no one will answer without going on about what it says in the charter. If someone likes the show but sometimes doesnt like a segment in it then fair enough its good to have a different opinion on it but the people that give out all of the time are giving out about Ray or the show in general.

It has been EXPLICITLY answered.
    Ya should report those posts...

The turn it off problem has been answered many many times - this is one of the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I thought the Damien Dempsey album launch on Friday was brilliant. Great craic, fabulous singing, and Damien's mum was priceless. Great radio thoroughly enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I thought the Damien Dempsey album launch on Friday was brilliant. Great craic, fabulous singing, and Damien's mum was priceless. Great radio thoroughly enjoyable.

Oh, thanks for reminding me! Have been meaning tolisten to this all weekend and forgot.

How weird is it that I was listening to the single on YouTube when I flicked back to boards and saw your post? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

my friend wrote: »
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Ray is capable of so much better, 3-4 years ago he was one of the best things on radio

???

When Ray was:
    - Licking PB Aherns rear ejector?
    - Hyping up 'de propertee ladder' ?
    - Promising to leave this Island if Enda Kenny was ever Taoiseach ?

What has any of that got to do with the radio show?? It's was still a crackin' radio show ffs.

His show was a lot more craic back then and certain segments weren't badly dated.

Anyway, 3-4 years ago was when the arse fell out of the country, I think you're thinking of 5-6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ray: "What's the weirdest thing people do with your medal? It's a very heavy thing isn't it"

JJ Nevin: "Some people baate themselves over the head with it, if you want to try that"

:D:D:D

Really enjoyed that JJ interview. Sounds like a sound out guy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Was anyone listening to Ray this morning just before the news at 10, they were talking about PPI charges in the bank or something, and then he played a really great song, but I missed what band/song it was. Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

coconut5 wrote: »
    Was anyone listening to Ray this morning just before the news at 10, they were talking about PPI charges in the bank or something, and then he played a really great song, but I missed what band/song it was. Can anyone help?

Listened to the podcast there. Was it Talk' Bout A Revolution by Tracy Chapman?

Maybe it was this actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ray: "What's the weirdest thing people do with your medal? It's a very heavy thing isn't it"

JJ Nevin: "Some people baate themselves over the head with it, if you want to try that"

:D:D:D

I remember hearing JJ Nevin being interviewed just after the Irish team got back from London :

Interviewer: "So what are you planning to do now you're home..will you be relaxing with your family?"

Nevin: "I'm going to go mad on the drink for a week, and we'll see what happens after that"

Interviewer: ":eek:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Neeson wrote: »
    Listened to the podcast there. Was it Talk' Bout A Revolution by Tracy Chapman?

Maybe it was this actually?

Yep, it was The Maccabees one. Love that band actually, once again they haven't disappointed. Cheers!

My internet radio keeps dropping in and out :mad: I really wanted to hear Joan Rivers, she's always great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

What is Mairead on about? it was always a gushy not a grushy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'm glad I missed Joan Rivers. I can't stand her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

ray%20after%202%20sml.sflb
    Not too sure maybe lose the glasses hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JM Skipton wrote: »
    What is Mairead on about? it was always a gushy not a grushy
    Nah, she's right. It's grushy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nah, she's right. It's grushy

Not where I was from,maybe it got lost in translation when it made its way to Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

fifi234ie wrote: »
    ray%20after%202%20sml.sflb
    Not too sure maybe lose the glasses hmm

Does not suit him at all, hat and glasses hideous. Fair play to him though.

• Advertisement

Does not suit him at all, hat and glasses hideous. Fair play to him though.

Can't put my finger on why, but this ages him something wicked. Suit is lovely though. Definitely lose the hat and glasses though, agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jaysus, this is an awful interview with Roger Moore. D'arcy's very nervous and saying all the wrong things.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

el diablo wrote: »
    Jaysus, this is an awful interview with Roger Moore. D'arcy's very nervous and saying all the wrong things.

terrible interview.

asking about money and royalties again, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Waay too many awkward silences in the interview. In fairness though, Roger isnt giving him much to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Why does he feel the need to read out texts from random people wishing Roger Moore a happy birthday etc? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Waay too many awkward silences in the interview. In fairness though, Roger isnt giving him much to work with.

he didnt seem too organised for that interview...
    surely when questioning a guy with a professional career spanning over 60 years with loads of charity work behind him, he could fill a 15 minute interview :rolleyes:

Ray doesnt have the ability to move with the flow of a conversation.. if hes not leading the conversation hes useless. He cannot react to an answer to delve onto an interesting tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

sydthebeat wrote: »

terrible interview.

asking about money and royalties again, :rolleyes:
    Why does he keep asking about such an inappropriate subject?!
    So rude!

I genuinely think he becomes over awed by certain guests which leads him to come out with random inappropriate questions.It also sometimes appears that his mind goes blank which also leads to questions that he just seems to have plucked out of the sky.However when he is comfortable with someone he can be very good an example was the Glen Hansard interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ray doesnt have the ability to move with the flow of a conversation.. if hes not leading the conversation hes useless. He cannot react to an answer to delve onto an interesting tangent.
    And he finds far too much material unreadable.

• Advertisement

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I genuinely think he becomes over awed by certain guests which leads him to come out with random inappropriate questions.It also sometimes appears that his mind goes blank which also leads to questions that he just seems to have plucked out of the sky.However when he is comfortable with someone he can be very good an example was the Glen Hansard interview.

Yeah, I'd agree. Also though, I think Roger Moore was a lot more chatty the last time he was on, so maybe Ray was taken aback by how little Moore elaborated on stories etc. I thought he (Moore) was giving answers that didn't allow conversation to flow easily for the most part.

That is one of Ray's biggest weaknesses as an interviewer, helping plug gaps and drawing out the interviewee. Graham Norton is excellent at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement