Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Did anyone get slightly sick when Mairead sang Happy Birthday to Sir Roger? I nearly puked. No doubt Ray got her to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

TheTwiz wrote: »
    Did anyone get slightly sick when Mairead sang Happy Birthday to Sir Roger? I nearly puked. No doubt Ray got her to do that.

from her twitter account
    Mairead Farrell ‏@cocomairead
    OMG - the stuff Ray makes us do ... singing to Sir Roger Moore #scarlet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

fifi234ie wrote: »
    ray%20after%202%20sml.sflb
    Not too sure maybe lose the glasses hmm

What's this all about? Why's he dressed like that?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

He's had Britt Ekland and Barbara Bach as his Bond girls but I'm sure that was the highlight to his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

el diablo wrote: »
    What's this all about? Why's he dressed like that?

Brendan Courtney and 'yer wan' from Off the Rails gave him a 'makeover', they did admit that they didn't take it 100% seriously in fairness. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I genuinely think he becomes over awed by certain guests which leads him to come out with random inappropriate questions.It also sometimes appears that his mind goes blank which also leads to questions that he just seems to have plucked out of the sky.However when he is comfortable with someone he can be very good an example was the Glen Hansard interview.

The problem is you would struggle to think of another decent interview apart from Glen Hansard, I know I knock Ray a bit but, I really think he should allow Will to do the interviews.

He is not comfortable with general conversation with his guests, and on another note he seems to be turning off Wills microphone a lot more of late.

I always find that so rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JM Skipton wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nah, she's right. It's grushy

Not where I was from,maybe it got lost in translation when it made its way to Clontarf
    Well I grew up in Ballyfermot and Mairead is from Finglas, so I don't get the Clontarf comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well I grew up in Ballyfermot and Mairead is from Finglas, so I don't get the Clontarf comment.

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well, I meant I can only comment on where I grew up and that is what it was called where I was from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd agree. Also though, I think Roger Moore was a lot more chatty the last time he was on, so maybe Ray was taken aback by how little Moore elaborated on stories etc. I thought he (Moore) was giving answers that didn't allow conversation to flow easily for the most part.

That is one of Ray's biggest weaknesses as an interviewer, helping plug gaps and drawing out the interviewee. Graham Norton is excellent at it.

Didn't hear the interview so I have to ask. Did he round things off with his now trademark you're-a-hard-person-to-interview comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I liked how when he read out the text to the woman on about Child Benefit asking where her fella/husband is he said "Will let that one slip through sorry about that", you read it Ray, own it! Will didn't put a gun to his head to read it, he read it of his own free will but then didn't want to be responsible for it.

Edit: And he feels he didn't get the best from Roger Moore, at least he didn't blame Roger Moore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I liked how when he read out the text to the woman on about Child Benefit asking where her fella/husband is he said "Will let that one slip through sorry about that", you read it Ray, own it! Will didn't put a gun to his head to read it, he read it of his own free will but then didn't want to be responsible for it.

heard that aswell and was pissed off when he started apologising to her. It was a genuine question that alot of tax paying and working people question about single mothers. Ray doesnt mind pissing off or upsetting politicians but gets overly sensitive about a mother

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fair play to him for admitting he didn't do well in the Roger Moore interview. Better than blaming Roger anyway, even though to be fair I thought Moore wasn't giving him much to work off of.

Also really enjoyed the Alan Sugar + Apprentice interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Edit: And he feels he didn't get the best from Roger Moore, at least he didn't blame Roger Moore!

(a) many would consider that a perfectly valid and reasonable question and
    (b) to read it out and then immediately and very publicly accuse your colleague of screwing up is pretty poor form. If I was Will I'd be having a quiet word with him about that. Wonder what Will really thinks of him.

LLU wrote: »
    (a) many would consider that a perfectly valid and reasonable question and
    (b) to read it out and then immediately and very publicly accuse your colleague of screwing up is pretty poor form. If I was Will I'd be having a quiet word with him about that. Wonder what Will really thinks of him.

He did the same sort of patronising thing to Will a few weeks back, when Ray said K2 was Everest, Will said it was a different mountain and Ray said "Yeah well to the layman they're the same thing Will". Ray was wrong, yet never apologised to Will or corrected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

And why should he apologise for reading out a text? Surely the texts read out should be representative of those received, rather than Ray's own views. Matt Cooper, to take one example, often reads texts that criticise him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

And why should he apologise for reading out a text? Surely the texts read out should be representative of those received, rather than Ray's own views. Matt Cooper, to take one example, often reads texts that criticise him

Some of Matt Coopers rants can be epic after he gets texts like that. He really can defend himself! Sometimes too though he just reads the text that is criticising him and doesn't comment. Always like the way he does that. It gives a much more interesting and fair debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l love ray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Some day I think last week, it took a while for them come back after an ad break. Ray sighed and said in a serious tone "You just can't get the staff these days" The man is becoming a parody of himself. He's so obnoxious and self absorbed its ridiculous. I don't know how Mairead & Will put up with him laughing at his adolescent jokes about penis's and bums.

It was nice to see him admit he was shocking during the Roger Moore interview. Getting Mairead to sing happy birthday to him was a farce. A living legend subjected to that. What a joke. It seems to be if he feels the interviewee is beneath him he just disregards their opinion and tells them how they're a tough interview. If it appears he's a fan or in awe of them then he gets all giddy & nervous and says stuff a 7 year old wouldn't say.

The man is getting away with murder.. No doubt on a six figure salary yet he cant work the controls.He plays wrong songs. Ads instead of songs. Ejects CD's when he's not supposed to. If this was done in media college or you werent able to conduct a straight forward interview you'd be told " Sorry I don't think you're cut out for this"

RANT OVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Some day I think last week, it took a while for them come back after an ad break. Ray sighed and said in a serious tone "You just can't get the staff these days" The man is becoming a parody of himself. He's so obnoxious and self absorbed its ridiculous. I don't know how Mairead & Will put up with him laughing at his adolescent jokes about penis's and bums.
    RANT OVER!!!

I think that was said tongue in cheek in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

who carers what the weather is like in dublin city centre and if your in dublin then you clearly know what its like.

ONE improvement over the last few months is he has seemed to have cut down on the HUMMING at the end of songs, jesus that used to get to me big time

• Advertisement

swiftman wrote: »
    ONE improvement over the last few months is he has seemed to have cut down on the HUMMING at the end of songs, jesus that used to get to me big time

I sent in an angry text about that a few weeks back, wonder did Will pass that message on to Ray :p Wtf is with the humming??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Interview with Finian from the HSE about benefits of laughter is the most ignorant carry on I've ever heard. Get someone on to speak about something and then talk all over him and play childish laughing sounds in the background. Stay classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This is how I imagine bedtime in the Darcy household

Hey kids, do you want me to read a story ?
    Noooo !
    Ah sure I will, there once was, er, a, eh, little princess, who eh, em, where's that page gone, eh, lived in a little house. Of course, she had to er, pay big, eh, household charges because of the FG government, Ha Ha Ha
    Sobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Beef wrote: »
    Interview with Finian from the HSE about benefits of laughter is the most ignorant carry on I've ever heard. Get someone on to speak about something and then talk all over him and play childish laughing sounds in the background. Stay classy.

I initially thought it was the guy from the HSE that had the noise in the background, or that Ray had left the studio mic on. Don't tend to moan about Ray but I thought that was incredibly rude on his behalf, especially his dismissive nature during the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This is how I imagine bedtime in the Darcy household

Hey kids, do you want me to read a story ?
    Noooo !
    Ah sure I will, there once was, er, a, eh, little princess, who eh, em, where's that page gone, eh, lived in a little house. Of course, she had to er, pay big, eh, household charges because of the FG government, Ha Ha Ha
    Sobs.

And mid-way through it he will have to stop, stop, eject and try again...

Ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Couldn't agree more. It was the height of ignorance. Why have someone on if you're just going to blatantly mock them and what they're talking about. :mad:

Discussion with the Plane Crash producer was good though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Was I the only one who found Rhod Gilbert (sp?) very funny? Ray seemed very awkward but I didn't think anything of it until after when Will "thought it was too early in the morning for Rhod Gilbert [to be funny]" and Mairead "wondered had she offended him"?

This coming after Ray wondering had he offended the HSE guy this morning.
    Tip: Guys, if you have to keep criticising guests and wondering if they've been offended... MAYBE IT'S YOU!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

It was very annoying wasn't it. Why the hell did he put the guy on the show if he was just going to take the pi*s out of him. Also once again he got the play, eject, stop part of his job wrong in the first 10 minutes and then he was off again not being able to read out texts and blaming Will for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Groundbreaking new stuff there with a singles night in wexford. Oh wait, no its not. It's more of the same from a production team that ran out of ideas three years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Was I the only one who found Rhod Gilbert (sp?) very funny? Ray seemed very awkward but I didn't think anything of it until after when Will "thought it was too early in the morning for Rhod Gilbert [to be funny]" and Mairead "wondered had she offended him"?

This coming after Ray wondering had he offended the HSE guy this morning.
    Tip: Guys, if you have to keep criticising guests and wondering if they've been offended... MAYBE IT'S YOU!!

Thought that too. I found the guy funny too. Maybe it was because of Gilberts style. He's very quick to take the piss and was constantly questioning Ray. So ya know, maybe Ray took it the wrong way.

Thought it was funny when Ray said "I'm gonna try to read this text now" (it was in Welsh)

Gilbert came in and says "Why, are you not able to read?"

Was going to text in saying you should hear him trying to read texts in english Rod - but it wouldn't have got read out anyway :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement