Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Clanket wrote: »
    Think it's a reference to something Ray says

Yeah... it's subtle, but I think if you read between the lines it becomes a bitingly clever satire.

:pac:

Made me laugh though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

May be small but every bit counts, especially in a country as small as Ireland. Nothing to worry about now, but if it keeps happening Ray might be getting a call from the bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Paddy Casey was funny wasn't he, he really doesn't give a schite :D

Ray: (something like) "Why isn't your album on itunes?"

Paddy: "Well, you see, I don't really know. I'm not too organised about that kind of thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Is anybody getting tired of the Ray D'arcy show. well not so much the show but rather him and his moral highground. If i'm looking for an opinionated gobs**te, there are plenty of other shows. His show used to be just about havin a laugh and not takin things too seriously but in the last year or so he cant seem to talk about anything without giving a big opinionated spiel about whats right, (coz if its his opinion, then obviously it has to be right). Bring back the old days when he used to brighten up our mornings.

I haven't listened to the show for a long time but maybe he is trying to be the new Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

mood wrote: »
    I haven't listened to the show for a long time but maybe he is trying to be the new Gerry Ryan.

Dropping the F bomb now and again and having graphic conversations about sex with that sex expert, makes me think you're right.

He also seems to be getting that arrogance that high audience figures bring, the I dont give a fcuk attitude that Ryan had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

That texter was right. Blame the bullies, not the website. Of course the website should do everything in it's power to stop bullying, but at the end of the day it's the person that's doing the bullying's fault. Ray seems to have some vendetta against ask.fm (I've never used it).

He even says the authorities should go after it and if the bullies migrate to a different site then they should go after them sites. Can he not see that that course is just letting the bullies win, and would ruin sites that a lot of people get enjoyment from because of a minority of twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

With all due respect Ray... **** off get your head out of your backside. Having a pop at the texter who called you up on your 'own' bullying. Your lack of self awareness has reached a new low.

You are getting people to bully this website owner, plain and simple. You only want him to come on and answer a few questions, fine, but he doesn't want to. Making him do something he doesn't want to is bullying!!

At least today you are reading out texts that disagree with you, unlike the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Jason Todd wrote: »
    With all due respect Ray... **** off get your head out of your backside. Having a pop at the texter who called you up on your 'own' bullying. Your lack of self awareness has reached a new low.

You are getting people to bully this website owner, plain and simple. You only want him to come on and answer a few questions, fine, but he doesn't want to. Making him do something he doesn't want to is bullying!!

At least today you are reading out texts that disagree with you, unlike the last day.

What website? Who was this about?

Neeson wrote: »
    What website? Who was this about?

Ray is crusading against a website called Ask.fm. It was originally set up as somewhere to ask questions and other users could give you answers anonymously but it is used a social networking site and an Irish girl took her own life after being bullied on it.

Ray is demanding answers from the creator of the site, who is Latvian and has to date, only released one statement to say that there only seems to be misuse of the site in Ireland and the UK, nowhere else.

Ray is asking listeners now to flood this mans email inbox to demand answers as to why he won't come on the radio and talk to Ray (as if it would be a discussion :roll eyes:) and when a texter told Ray what he was trying to do, Ray fell over his words and then dismissed it. Said they were totally different things.

They are different scales of the one thing imo and he is barking up the wrong tree with regards to combatting bullying. It's just his self-righteousness is seeping through my radio today and really winding me up! :pac:

I'm also very confused with the line he is taking on it. I appreciate it is an horrendous problem, and seems to be getting worse. I just can't see how this flooding some businessman with messages thing is going to help anyone..

I heard a report yesterday saying that the latest girls parents had reported the bullying, and were told nothing could be done. However, this morning I heard a report saying that people are being questioned by Gardai about it now. That jumped out at me as being a massive problem. How can they question them now, but not before this poor girl gave up?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what they did hasnt changed. What has changed is the poor girl is gone. How can they question them now but not before?

Is that not a question he could ask?

His time and energy would be much better spent elsewhere. It's a horrific situation for the families involved, but he's going the wrong way about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Ray is crusading against a website called Ask.fm. It was originally set up as somewhere to ask questions and other users could give you answers anonymously but it is used a social networking site and an Irish girl took her own life after being bullied on it.

Ray is demanding answers from the creator of the site, who is Latvian and has to date, only released one statement to say that there only seems to be misuse of the site in Ireland and the UK, nowhere else.

Ray is asking listeners now to flood this mans email inbox to demand answers as to why he won't come on the radio and talk to Ray (as if it would be a discussion :roll eyes:) and when a texter told Ray what he was trying to do, Ray fell over his words and then dismissed it. Said they were totally different things.

They are different scales of the one thing imo and he is barking up the wrong tree with regards to combatting bullying. It's just his self-righteousness is seeping through my radio today and really winding me up! :pac:

Ask provide a service tailor made for bullies to post anonymously, until that is changed more lives will be lost, If Ray wants to make this his personal crusade, then let him. If it gets ask to change their terms & it saves a young persons life, would anyone argue against that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well in fairness, I bet this business man is making money from the site? So surely with that comes some sort of moral responsibility?

Lelantos wrote: »
    Ask provide a service tailor made for bullies to post anonymously, until that is changed more lives will be lost, If Ray wants to make this his personal crusade, then let him. If it gets ask to change their terms & it saves a young persons life, would anyone argue against that?

What do you mean by change their terms?

I also can't understand how kids can sign up for this site if it has anonymous bullies on it. Why not just delete your account? How do they know who you are if everything is anonymous?

He's seriously getting on my nerves this morning with this Ask.Fm bullsh*t. He seems to be more concerned with inflating his own ego by "forcing" one of the founders to "face up to the Irish people" (read: Pressure him into coming onto the show so D'Arcy can sigh and condemn him for ten minutes while ignoring his point of view).

He also said when asked if they'd contacted the government "Well we haven't, but maybe others have, I dunno.". If he were really serious about getting the site shut down, then why not contact Pat Rabbitte? Why? Because that might actually achieve something. Instead, he's fixating on getting his petty interview with the founder and not doing anything else.

Going to put together an email on this (not that he'll read it out).

That said, really interesting segment on the premature babies, and usually I zone out whenever anyone talks about kids.

I also can't understand how kids can sign up for this site if it has anonymous bullies on it. Why not just delete your account? How do they know who you are if everything is anonymous?
    I sign up & use my real name etc, you sign up & ask me questions (or abuse me) but you have the option of being totally anonymous.
    Ps, when do 14yo kids do the sensible thing. A long as the anonymity part remains on this site,it is open for all forms of abuse.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well in fairness, I bet this business man is making money from the site? So surely with that comes some sort of moral responsibility?

So if he did come on and talk to them. What would he be expected to say?

The website wasn't designed with bullies in mind. They provide a particular service which is abused by bullies. Is it not more sensible to tackle the bullies rather than a service (provider) that is being abused?

If a bully goes in to tesco and buys an €2.50 sim card and starts sending bullying messages (as happens every day probably), is that tescos fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

_feedback_ wrote: »
    The interview would be a mess. It's D'Arcy after all.

Is it not more sensible to tackle the bullies rather than a service (provider) that is being abused?
    Of course it is, but how can you tackle the bully when you don't who they are?

Listen, I don't agree with Ray's crusade, I think it's misguided. But if a service provider is providing a service that is being abused and causing harm to other people well then they have a moral responsibility to do something about it. Failing that, it's up to the authorities to do something.

The website wasn't designed with bullies in mind. They provide a particular service which is abused by bullies. Is it not more sensible to tackle the bullies rather than a service (provider) that is being abused?

If a bully goes in to tesco and buys an €2.50 sim card and starts sending bullying messages (as happens every day probably), is that tescos fault?

Exactly the point I was trying to make. It's the bullies that need to be tackled. Parents need to cop on and check what kids are up to online. More responsible use of the internet is needed like that expert (forget his name) said on Matt Cooper yesterday. That was a great interview and shows exactly what needs to be done.

In terms of what the sites can do... would something like a bully button work do ye think? I know posts can be reported on boards and Facebook, but what about these other sites? Maybe legislation could be brought in that sites have to have a stricter policy on these things. The Facebook account for work gets spammed by a fake celebrity account and I reported it as a fake account and was still getting spammed 2 weeks later, that's too long after reporting it imo.

The text messages are not anonymous, so the bully can be traced.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Of course it is, but how can you tackle the bully when you don't who they are?

Well when I said that I was referring to the Darcy show. I think the best thing they could do is a massive anti-bullying campaign.

As much as Ray would like to think that his ranting "interviews" would make a difference. I don't think that the approach they are taking is in any way beneficial. If the service provider do end up talking to him, they won't say what he wanted to hear, and it will just end in a massive sighing session.

If he wants to do something, he should do something that might actually help.

I hate to say it, but I think it is a personal thing, that he wants the chance to be the big man on the radio that will rant and rave at some guy from Latvia. He would ask questions, not listen to the answers, and rant some more. It's pointless.

Focus on the people that can actually make a difference. Those being the bullies, the kids that are being bullied, and parents on both sides. Changes in all those attitudes can make a difference.

The internet and other various forms of communication (any of which can be used for bullying) will remain, and tackling them is pointless. :(

I'm by no means a tech whizz, but if a sim card is unregistered it's not easily traceable. I bought one recently to test an unlocked phone. Took it out of the pack, tested and binned. Very disposable and easy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Quote:
    Originally Posted by _feedback_ viewpost.gif

If you buy a sim card for cash in Tesco, there is nothing to identify you, so it actually is anonymous.

(Now with the necessary powers of course you could trace that sim back to a particular handset, and from there back to a registered sim, and from there back to an owner, but that sort of thing would only happen in criminal investigations.)

I sign up & use my real name etc, you sign up & ask me questions (or abuse me) but you have the option of being totally anonymous.
    Ps, when do 14yo kids do the sensible thing. A long as the anonymity part remains on this site,it is open for all forms of abuse.

14 year old kids should never be on sites like that. End of. Parents have to start taking responsibility instead of burying their heads in the sand.
    Exactly the point I was trying to make. It's the bullies that need to be tackled. Parents need to cop on and check what kids are up to online. More responsible use of the internet is needed like that expert (forget his name) said on Matt Cooper yesterday. That was a great interview and shows exactly what needs to be done.

Exactly.

Why the hell would someone stay on a site where they are being bullied by anonymous people. Just delete your account and don't use it. I really can't understand this.

Just take a look at the comments section of YouTube. The absolute morons that post there (pretty much anonymously if they want) is astounding. However, we shouldn't be banning YouTube. The obvious solution is to just ignore them.

I also think Ray would have a nervous breakdown if he saw what goes on on some other site such as 4chan etc etc.

He'd very quickly be advocating that parents should have total control over what sites their kids are on on the internet.

Sent this:

Dear Ray and team,

(This email is probably too long to be read out on air, but please read it and consider it)

I just felt the need to write in about this continued crusade your show seems to be spearheading against Ask.fm.

While I can see that it is well intentioned, I feel it is wholly misguided, and will be in no way beneficial to the situation whatsoever.

This morning (the 31st) you read out a text asking something to the effect of "What will you do when the bullies migrate to another platform?", to which your response was to follow them and get that platform shut down as well.

Can you not see that this isn't solving the problem? The problem is the bullies, not the platform the bullies use. The solution is to target the bullies with a series of anti-bullying campaigns, education and parents monitoring their kids' internet usage.

You yourself could play a part in this, as you have a radio show with some of the highest listenership figures in the country, so why not organise an bullying awareness campaign? Why not get people talking about the real issues rather than focusing on Ask.fm?

Frankly, you sound as if you have a personal axe to grind with the founder of Ask.FM because he has snubbed your requests to come on your show. But let me ask you this, what will getting Mark Terepin on to speak to you actually achieve? He'll simply stick to his position that his site provides a service which is being abused by a minority (the truth), and nothing more will come of the interview.

In essence, it is a pointless exercise, whereas taking action by trying to raise awareness of cyber-bullying among the parents who listen to your show would be far more useful and beneficial in the long run in my opinion.

As an aside, bullies will always find a way to bully their victims. If it's not through Ask.FM, it'll be through Facebook, through Twitter, through email, through text messages, through graffiti on a wall, through carvings on a desk in a classroom. All of which provide just as much anonymity as Ask.Fm.

Sincerely,
    etc

Doubt it'll have much effect, but it pretty much sums up my feelings on this issue. He's acting like a dog with a bone trying to get this Mark Terepin on for an interview, giving his little daily updates "He still hasn't got back to us. *sigh* He'll have to answer eventually." Seems more concerned with getting his interview to prove what a big man his is in the Irish media as opposed to taking positive and immediate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Am I missing something about this ask.fm site. If you log on anonymously how are you getting bullied? Is it a case that you log on as User X and post a message and then you get a stream of abuse from User Y and Z? If that is the way it works then how is it bullying if neither party knows each other?

Ray D'arcy is seriously doing my head in lately with his "crusade". Its just a way for him to inflate his ego. If he really wanted to do something he would get on to somebody in the Dept of Communications.

I also think Ray would have a nervous breakdown if he saw what goes on on some other site such as 4chan etc etc.

He'd very quickly be advocating that parents should have total control over what sites their kids are on on the internet.

Or CelebrityJihad.... *shudder*

But parents should have control over what their kids can and can't view. I know full well that if I had the luxury of high speed internet when i was 14 with no parental supervision then I'd be viewing all sorts of stuff, hell I was bad enough with a 56k modem! :pac:

It's piss easy to block sites from your computer if parents are willing to put in the effort. I don't buy the ignorance argument, all you have to do is open google and type "How to block sites" and you'll find pages of stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

gazzer wrote: »
    Am I missing something about this ask.fm site. If you log on anonymously how are you getting bullied? Is it a case that you log on as User X and post a message and then you get a stream of abuse from User Y and Z? If that is the way it works then how is it bullying if neither party knows each other?

Ray D'arcy is seriously doing my head in lately with his "crusade". Its just a way for him to inflate his ego. If he really wanted to do something he would get on to somebody in the Dept of Communications.

People put it up through facebook etc with their real name and post a link asking others to ask them questions.

They won't know who's asking the questions. But the person who asks can see the person who wants to be asked.

gazzer wrote: »

When you go to the site, you can log in with your Facebook account, and it'll post to your page to "Come ask me questions." The people asking the questions don't have to log in.

• Advertisement

Well when I said that I was referring to the Darcy show. I think the best thing they could do is a massive anti-bullying campaign.

As much as Ray would like to think that his ranting "interviews" would make a difference. I don't think that the approach they are taking is in any way beneficial. If the service provider do end up talking to him, they won't say what he wanted to hear, and it will just end in a massive sighing session.

If he wants to do something, he should do something that might actually help.

I hate to say it, but I think it is a personal thing, that he wants the chance to be the big man on the radio that will rant and rave at some guy from Latvia. He would ask questions, not listen to the answers, and rant some more. It's pointless.

Focus on the people that can actually make a difference. Those being the bullies, the kids that are being bullied, and parents on both sides. Changes in all those attitudes can make a difference.

The internet and other various forms of communication (any of which can be used for bullying) will remain, and tackling them is pointless. :(

I'm by no means a tech whizz, but if a sim card is unregistered it's not easily traceable. I bought one recently to test an unlocked phone. Took it out of the pack, tested and binned. Very disposable and easy..
    If you only send 1 text, yes, it is virtually untraceable, but if its used frequently, (as these kids in Donegal are finding out) its very traceable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement