Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

recently Ray took a pop at Tubridy about taking too much holidays ...he should listen to himself sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

lucylu wrote: »
    recently Ray took a pop at Tubridy about taking too much holidays ...he should listen to himself sometimes

I dunno, I think Ray should take more holidays, or like just one really long permanent one... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

mountain wrote: »
    I listened to Anton for a while this morning, it was great to hear a happy voice, he did the newspapers in a cheery tone, not Ray's usual droning monotone.

There seemed to be a different vibe between him, Will and Mairead.

For me it showed just how bad Ray has become.

Yeah Anton always comes across has a genuine down to earth fella. He's very natural talking to people and has a good rapport with Mairead and Will unlike Ray. Ray speaks to them like they're his children. Anton also seems to be able to use the radio controls well unlike Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

TheTwiz wrote: »

Yeah Anton always comes across has a genuine down to earth fella. He's very natural talking to people and has a good rapport with Mairead and Will unlike Ray. Ray speaks to them like they're his children. Anton also seems to be able to use the radio controls well unlike Ray.

I believe Anton doesn't use the controls at all. Someone else does it, while he concentrates on presenting the programme.

He is a breath of fresh air in that slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

So delighted to hear Anton this morning. But can only listen for first half hour this week :(

• Advertisement

For once I'm looking forward to listening to Today FM from 9-12. Please take early retirement Ray. You've mentioned a couple of times that you've kids. Go take care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Anton very much reminds me of Tom Dunne when he used to fill in for Ray. They both just come in and have a laugh. As mentioned, they both had a much more easy relationship with their co-presenters (or whatever they are) and there was no squirm-inducing, ill-judged moral crusades. I really like them both, but from what I've heard, Tom Dunne's show on Newstalk isn't all that great and Anton's show on a Sunday is not as much fun. I guess it's just a matter of familiarity breeding contempt where Ray is involved. A lot of contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Don't listen to Tom's but isn't Anton's Sunday show a business show. Hardly going to be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Clanket wrote: »
    Don't listen to Tom's but isn't Anton's Sunday show a business show. Hardly going to be fun

More of a light entertainment/business/politics show tbh.

He had Amy Hooberman (sp?) on last week like.

As for Tom, I'm a huge fan of his, but he isn't suited to a D'Arcy show format. He's dying on his arse on NT IMO, but when he gets chatting about music or something it's some of the best radio out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clanket wrote: »

Agreed, an actually as a business show it does have a light hearted air about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I'm afraid Anton has driven me to tubridy this week and that is quite a statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

he has a sense of humour and a bright outlook on things unlike old grumpy darcy. couldnt imagine darcy talking bout swallowing or spitting on the radio. even if it was only chewing gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Only heard about 20 mins today, but it was around the time Will was talking about eating the dried apricots. It was nice to hear him without been interrupted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I like Will but sometimes he can be guilty of interrupting people. He'll say something, the other person will start replying then Will just shouts over them. He done it today with the Hamster.

Like I said though, I do like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

I'm listening to Anton interview Sam Neill at the moment and he has such great interviewing skills, really comes across like he has done his homework and it's like he's having a normal conversation with someone. Puts Ray to shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Really enjoying Anton this week, choice of music is excellent 9 times out of 10 and and his interviews are effortless. He's so knowledgable. Hard to believe he doesn't use cards!

My only gripe (today anyway :P ) was that he read out far too many texts. Most of them said the same thing after all. No need for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm listening to Anton interview Sam Neill at the moment and he has such great interviewing skills, really comes across like he has done his homework and it's like he's having a normal conversation with someone. Puts Ray to shame!

I was listening to it in the car and I was thinking the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Really enjoying Anton this week, choice of music is excellent 9 times out of 10 and and his interviews are effortless. He's so knowledgable. Hard to believe he doesn't use cards!

My only gripe (today anyway :P ) was that he read out far too many texts. Most of them said the same thing after all. No need for it!

Effortless is the word alright no doubt about it. Stay at home ray, not missed in the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

anyone here thinks Will gets a bit of a hard time from ray & mairead? alot of the time l notice when he says something (ok he can be v random) but l always get the impression their are like to him "eh would you shut the F up ya fool what are ya talking about"....l feel kinda bad for him sometimes :/

The beauty about him is he actually sounds like he hasn't been doing his homework. More like he just fecking knows about it.

He seems to know a lot about a lot of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

LOVE Anton. Think ray might've had his day. I do like him but much prefer Anton. Wish he had his own weekday show.

Today is a very sad day.

It's Anton's last day until Ray decides he's going on his next camping holiday in the middle of nowhere, which he'll no doubt let us know about every single day and try & force us to holiday in this country. "Kate loved the freedom of being in her own country whilst knowing she was contributing to the local economy..." PLEASE NO!!!

I've a feeling Mairead will be the most upset at Anton's departure today.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I think Anton is doing a great job this week. It's refreshing to not have to do the aural equivalent of looking through my fingers at the radio waiting for Ray to make me cringe. Now if only Mairead would go somewhere very far away on an extended break....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

TheTwiz wrote: »
    Today is a very sad day.

It's Anton's last day until Ray decides he's going on his next camping holiday in the middle of nowhere, which he'll no doubt let us know about every single day and try & force us to holiday in this country. "Kate loved the freedom of being in her own country whilst knowing she was contributing to the local economy..." PLEASE NO!!!

I've a feeling Mairead will be the most upset at Anton's departure today.

This is fantastic news I can go back listening to Ray on Monday,gave Anton a chance however his blandness continues to shine through one thing you could not label Ray with despite his many faults

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Had to laugh this morning at Mairead and the "Booty Wrap". Anton's reaction was priceless. Just going "Eh... could you not just wear pants with pockets?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

another fantastic interview with Dara O Briain. miss Anton already

He's just funny the way he carries on. He seems to be a bit odd but in a very likeable sort of way. Mairead couldn't get her head around a few things!

Like he doesn't own any form of card (loyalty, credit card, ATM) and still goes in to the bank every week to withdraw money.

He used a VCR up until the saorview thing, and is still trying to figure out how to make the transition.

This morning he was going on about how he used to get pulled over by the guards because he had tinted windows in the car. He had to take them off cos they were threatening to do something about it. So then he decided to get CURTAINS instead, but can't find ones to fit :D He says he wants privacy in the car and there's no law against curtains :D

Got a good few laughs from him this week.

We won't be on newspaper story number two on Monday before we hear the sigh in full swing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

zuroph wrote: »
    another fantastic interview with Dara O Briain. miss Anton already

Yeah, he's far more articulate than D'arcy and doesn't spend half the interview reading out random text messages.

Next time I listen to this show will be when D'arcy takes his next holiday.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think Will really enjoys it when Anton is the presenter, he doesnt have Ray giving out to him every few minutes (it would make you wonder what their relationship off-air is like?).

Now obivously Anton isnt on too often so he doesnt end up repeating himself.

I often wonder how Ray would have filled his show in 2012 is it wasnt for a) his daughter b) his son c) his dog d) Jenny or e) 50 shades of grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

When he started the show he had absolutley nothing to talk about so he started dragging the people around him into conversation, thats how the show got to like it is now.

Put him on his own and he wouldnt have a clue, he couldnt carry a show on his own to save his life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement