Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

shockwave wrote: »
    When he started the show he had absolutley nothing to talk about so he started dragging the people around him into conversation, thats how the show got to like it is now.

Put him on his own and he wouldnt have a clue, he couldnt carry a show on his own to save his life.

Genuinely not sure if you're talking about D'Arcy or Anton! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

_feedback_ wrote: »
    He's just funny the way he carries on. He seems to be a bit odd but in a very likeable sort of way. Mairead couldn't get her head around a few things!

Like he doesn't own any form of card (loyalty, credit card, ATM) and still goes in to the bank every week to withdraw money.

He used a VCR up until the saorview thing, and is still trying to figure out how to make the transition.

This morning he was going on about how he used to get pulled over by the guards because he had tinted windows in the car. He had to take them off cos they were threatening to do something about it. So then he decided to get CURTAINS instead, but can't find ones to fit :D He says he wants privacy in the car and there's no law against curtains :D

Got a good few laughs from him this week.

We won't be on newspaper story number two on Monday before we hear the sigh in full swing ...

That is what drives me mad about Ray. He starts every show berating the country and looking for every negative he can find in the papers. In contrast Anton just read the quirky tongue in cheek articles.

Enjoyed the intelligent articulate interviews this week and it was obvious by Dara Os voice that he was enjoying the quick witted banter with Anton. Polar opposite to the normal style Ray conducts his interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

[/B]

That is what drives me mad about Ray. He starts every show berating the country and looking for every negative he can find in the papers. In contrast Anton just read the quirky tongue in cheek articles.

Enjoyed the intelligent articulate interviews this week and it was obvious by Dara Os voice that he was enjoying the quick witted banter with Anton. Polar opposite to the normal style Ray conducts his interviews.

The last time Dara O Briain was on he actually pulled Ray up on his questioning about kids etc. I think he even said, oh are you asking this because you want to talk about your own kids? It was mentioned on thread here at the time.

Anton will be missed alright...

They have the balls to let Foley go, they should look at the rest if their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The last time Dara O Briain was on he actually pulled Ray up on his questioning about kids etc. I think he even said, oh are you asking this because you want to talk about your own kids? It was mentioned on thread here at the time.

They have the balls to let Foley go, they should look at the rest if their schedule.

That was a crazy decision that slot is sh!te all week !!!

Unfortunately, as much as I'm a fan of Foley, Foley's figures were mediocre at best. D'Arcy's are in a different class.

Until 2FM get a decent alternative on air, D'Arcy will stay where he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Genuinely not sure if you're talking about D'Arcy or Anton! :P
    Me too, I've reread it a couple of times and can't tell either.

Ray would want to watch himself now. Savage is one of the most ambitious and hungry people on the radio and typically fills in for people at every chance he gets. Not my favourite presenter by a long shot and he's a pi$$ poor replacement in the Sunday morning slot after they shafted Sam Smyth, but I thought he did very well this week and is an excellent fit for this slot. I'd certainly listen to this program with him and that team presenting, they were really in a different league to the competitors this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I was talking about Ray :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listened to it this week and didn't know ray was off so was a nice suprise and it seemed so relaxed and flowing and we didn't hear ray having a brain fart when the song doesn't play at first go, followed by "stop that, eject, play,"

And I like anton because he is a happy person, unlike ray who is a arse most of the time who as subtle as a elephant shoehorns the fact he has children into every show.

I took a real dislike to ray after his interview with Kathleen lynch about depression, as politician or not she didnt deserve that crap of the self appointed national conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Listened to it this week and didn't know ray was off so was a nice suprise and it seemed so relaxed and flowing and we didn't hear ray having a brain fart when the song doesn't play at first go, followed by "stop that, eject, play,"

And I like anton because he is a happy person, unlike ray who is a arse most of the time who as subtle as a elephant shoehorns the fact he has children into every show.

I took a real dislike to ray after his interview with Kathleen lynch about depression, as politician or not she didnt deserve that crap of the self appointed national conscience.

For a guy who has children, he seems to have no inhibitions about his filthy mouth and the fact that his program will be played in shops and waiting rooms, etc where children could be listening. I'm no saint when it comes to bad language but I can hand on my heart say that I've never used bad language where children - or my parents - might hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

D'arcy is back today and we discover that he didn't even vote on Saturday, with the way he goes on about things. He's just a hypocrite in my view. Bring back anton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Barely 20 minutes backs & hits week off revolved around his kids & he cant work the cd players & computers again.

Ah jaysus seriously, this fella is becoming ridiculous.

He opened his show by saying he didn't vote.

30 minutes later and he is giving his opinion in between the sighs, and saying that nothing will be implemented and the problems are not with the wording of it etc.

Seriously, stfu if you haven't voted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Ah jaysus seriously, this fella is becoming ridiculous.

He opened his show by saying he didn't vote.

30 minutes later and he is giving his opinion in between the sighs, and saying that nothing will be implemented and the problems are not with the wording of it etc.

Seriously, stfu if you haven't voted.
    In fairness, 7 out of 10 people didn't vote.

Lelantos wrote: »
    In fairness, 7 out of 10 people didn't vote.

Yeah, and 7 out of those 10 people lose their right to moan about the subject as a result, in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Yeah, and 7 out of those 10 people lose their right to moan about the subject as a result, in my opinion...
    Well, that's a little too simplistic, people didn't understand what was being put to them, so abstaining is a vote in itself. Plus, if you were on the no side, does that negate your right to moan? Chances are, he will get a second chance to vote if the rumoured legal challenge comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Time 9:16 AM, Ray is trying to play the first song of the show. Needless to say, it isn't working. He's been broadcasting for approximately 11 minutes and the following has been mentioned/has happened
    • Kate (twice)
    • 50 shades of grey
    • Some immature giggling over coffee made from monkey poo
    • Holidays in the west of ireland
    • hand-wringing over suicide
    • Lip service towards same
    • tries to play first song, can't
    • blames it on someone else
    All inside 10 minutes.

Well, that's a little too simplistic, people didn't understand what was being put to them, so abstaining is a vote in itself. Plus, if you were on the no side, does that negate your right to moan? Chances are, he will get a second chance to vote if the rumoured legal challenge comes to pass.

Didn't understand? There was countless places to read about it and educate yourself.

He said he didn't get the chance. Had the time to watch the rugby but didn't get the chance to vote .. Big difference in that and not voting on purpose for a reason.

What he was saying today would have been fine if he said he had voted no for those reasons, because he thought it wouldn't make any difference.

But no, he didn't bother, but still goes on about how it wont make any difference. It's very irritating..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well, that's a little too simplistic, people didn't understand what was being put to them

I've never heard such a cop out, some silly cow interviewed on the RTE News claimed this and said she voted no as a result. It was the simplest referendum to understand out of all the ones I can remember. There was plenty of information out there and it's a persons own fault if they 'didn't understand' it.

Maybe we need IQ tests before you're giving a polling card.

Well, that's a little too simplistic, people didn't understand what was being put to them

Ah heour! Leave it out!

Sorry.

But seriously, the ignorance argument has NO PLACE for this referendum. It would have taken AT MOST fifteen minutes to sit down and do a bit of research. It's by far the simplest referendum we'll likely ever vote on.

This seems to be the go to argument for people now. I could understand it for Lisbon, because that had far reaching consequences for the entirety of Europe, but frankly, if you "didn't understand" this referendum, you were either lazy and didn't bother researching it, or are just being argumentative to try and get on the "Oh the government aren't communicating!" bandwagon early.

/rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the kate Darcy show anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

More 'super' mario plugging now, theme for the day on todayfm...

So very tired of the show. It is so stale and uninteresting. It's becoming an annoyance ...

Started out with the hypocrisy about the voting as mentioned above. He then couldn't get going and blamed Dempsey. Man, you are sitting there for 15 minutes waffling about your week off and sighing at the papers. Surely you should have one eye on the equipment to make sure everything is ready to go.

He spent the entire "interview" with the chap about obesity just cutting across him and butting in with his own opinion. At one stage he actually asked the guy a question and continued to give his own opinion immediately ...

Insert various stories about his home life in to the mix. Including a rambling thing about his daughter watching Titanic and how they wondered if a topless Kate Winslet was suitable viewing. Who gives a crap?

His complete inability to use the equipment is ridiculous.. At the end there he played the intro to the same song instead of the ad breaks twice. He did the same thing at least twice earlier in the show.

It's a mess..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

So very tired of the show. It is so stale and uninteresting. It's becoming an annoyance ...

He's really turned into an auld moaning Biddy. And as soon as I heard a mention of 50 shades, I was gone. Done with him I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In the ray darcy bingo this morning he mentioned his daughter at the very start which lead to mentioning the dog and also made a mess of a song already and we less than half an hour in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I listened to the first 5 minutes this morning and heard a man, who has not made any effort to improve his skills for many years...."my daughter said the cutest thing ...." I even turned over to tubridy..

Christ on a bike...

First link of the day:
    - Mention his daughter in an inanely boring story which he tries to make sound cute.
    - Mention 50 Shades of Gray
    - Get a dig in on RTE
    - Sigh about increased taxes

In the next hour of the show:
    - Messed up playing a song
    - Depressing segment on bullying.
    - Tried to bring Ask.FM back into the conversation again.

The man is becoming a parody of himself at this stage. :(

Can you imagine Ray Darcy and Joe Duffy co presenting. The levels of depression that would hit the nation.

oh a segment on kids now. wonder how long it will take into this to mention one of his kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I don't know if this is possible, but I think that Kate D'arcy is a bigger pain in the hole than Ray. I wonder if that's nature or nurture, I can't figure it out

• Advertisement

Stop interrupting your interviewees ...

Why oh why does he have to mention his "five year old daughter" when talking about someones music?

"Well your album is called <insert name>. I was playing it the other day and my five year old daughter came in".

Terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement