Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mountain

this morning when he was talking to the man from dingle about fungi,
    he asks "have you ever seen a dead dolphin?"

talk about inappropriate questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

my katie was just asking this morning "daddy do dolphins bake cakes?" i dunno kate i'll have to ask one of my team to look it up for fix it friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Christ on a bike...

First link of the day:
    - Mention his daughter in an inanely boring story which he tries to make sound cute.
    - Mention 50 Shades of Gray
    - Get a dig in on RTE
    - Sigh about increased taxes

In the next hour of the show:
    - Messed up playing a song
    - Depressing segment on bullying.
    - Tried to bring Ask.FM back into the conversation again.

The man is becoming a parody of himself at this stage. :(

As a former victim of bullying throughout my school life, I find your post very insulting and downright ignorant.

Are you saying we should not discuss the growing problem of bullying because you find it boring? You are simply allowing your opinion of Ray to seep into your opinions on every part of his show.

Would you rather he didn't bother having the discussion on bullying and just continue going on and on about Ask.fm when we know that the website is not the problem.

Be more careful how you word your posts in future please.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Ledger wrote: »
    As a former victim of bullying throughout my school life, I find your post very insulting and downright ignorant.

Are you saying we should not discuss the growing problem of bullying because you find it boring? You are simply allowing your opinion of Ray to seep into your opinions on every part of his show.

Would you rather he didn't bother having the discussion on bullying and just continue going on and on about Ask.fm when we know that the website is not the problem.

Pretty sure he just gave his opinion as he is entitled to do, thats the impression the poster gets of the show.

I often find segments depressing that I am positive others enjoy,everyone should be allowed express their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As a former victim of bullying myself, I fully sympathise with victims of bullying.

However, D'Arcy has been harping on about this subject for almost three solid weeks, with varying degrees of hyperbole, hand-wringing and, at times, down-right ignorance. So sorry if I grow tired of hearing the same discussion every morning with no positive ideas put forward.

I stand by the wording of my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As a former victim of bullying myself, I fully sympathise with victims of bullying.

However, D'Arcy has been harping on about this subject for almost three solid weeks, with varying degrees of hyperbole, hand-wringing and, at times, down-right ignorance. So sorry if I grow tired of hearing the same discussion every morning with no positive ideas put forward.

and let me guess, he hasn't actually achieved anything?

I see where you were coming from I apologise for jumping on your post so harshly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv been a victim over bullying, including by a primary school teacher who mocked me in front of the whole class amongst other things. I turned on the radio this morning and found the segment very depressing and not something I wanted to hear in the morning so I switched onto Beat. Its not that I don't want the issue raised and addressed, because it isn't properly, but I didn't find it appropriate myself. I don't particular like the way Ray goes on about it so much and his expectations / demands.

Just my view. Nothing against the campaign to address and raise awareness of the issue at all.

Sully wrote: »
    Iv been a victim over bullying, including by a primary school teacher who mocked me in front of the whole class amongst other things. I turned on the radio this morning and found the segment very depressing and not something I wanted to hear in the morning so I switched onto Beat. Its not that I don't want the issue raised and addressed, because it isn't properly, but I didn't find it appropriate myself. I don't particular like the way Ray goes on about it so much and his expectations / demands.

Just my view. Nothing against the campaign to address and raise awareness of the issue at all.

Well they way I saw it, since bullying gets such little air time on any format except when it is too late, I thought any kind of discussion on it would be good.

But that is of course just my opinion.

I see where you were coming from I apologise for jumping on your post so harshly.

No hassle. It's an emotive subject. :)

I can see where you're coming from that any bit of discussion on the issue is a good thing, but given Ray's misguided (although well meaning) rants on the subject over the last few weeks I don't think he's the person to foster a productive discussion on this any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some one in today fm been reading boards? No ray this morning. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I have been a huge admirer of the ray d'arcy show for years, used to listen to it when I lived abroad, even used to put speakers from the computer into the kitchen I worked in. My Indian and Sri lankan chefs used to enjoy it also. Never thought I would say this but I was happy when I heard Anton on this morning.
    It is great to hear his humor and knowledge on almost everything, while not taking himself too seriously.
    It really is a shame that the show has become all about ray and his beliefs, the producers and co presenters should be more forceful and adamant with where the show should be going.
    Never thought this day would come, sorry ray :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that was a nice suprise to hear anton after the news. Mairead wants anton. I might not change to pat kenny at ten if anton is here today. I only listen to ray as I can't stand John Murray for his hour piss take.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where is Ray anyway?

I have to say, Anton conducted that interview superbly.

Obviously we'll never know, but you'd have to imagine Ray would have been sighing all through it and interrupting her.

Wonder where he is though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I was listening to iRadio where I hate the morning dj thinking "I just can't listen to Ray anymore", but I caved and turned over, to hear lovely Anton! Where's Ray? Has he been reading boards and decided to stay home under the duvet with his kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sully wrote: »
    Where is Ray anyway?

who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

In fairness, something could have happened to him or his family. Hopefully it didn't but stuff like "who cares" could look awful if something did happen to explain him missing.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    In fairness, something could have happened to him or his family. Hopefully it didn't but stuff like "who cares" could look awful if something did happen to explain him missing.

Indeed. While I think it's fairly safe to assume neris was taking the piss, I'd prefer to know for certain that it isn't anything serious before making jokes myself. (mainly because it was an unannounced absence and they haven't mentioned where he is IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

I don't understand why some people don't like Anton, two or three people I work with apparently 'can't stand him', but he's actually an excellent broadcaster. He's quick, witty, intelligent and takes the piss out of himself constantly. I love when he says something incorrect and hoards of people text in to tell him he's wrong, he never gets high and mighty about it, just laughs and admits he's wrong. He reminds me a bit of Moncrieff the odd time when he comes out with random one-liners. Todayfm should give him another slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't understand why some people don't like Anton, two or three people I work with apparently 'can't stand him', but he's actually an excellent broadcaster. He's quick, witty, intelligent and takes the piss out of himself constantly. I love when he says something incorrect and hoards of people text in to tell him he's wrong, he never gets high and mighty about it, just laughs and admits he's wrong. He reminds me a bit of Moncrieff the odd time when he comes out with random one-liners. Todayfm should give him another slot.

Probably something to do with his business dealings perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I thought Anton was superb today. He also brings the best out of Mairead and Will. Everything ran smoothly, didn't force views on anyone, even the Rob Kearney interview was entertaining, and I don't even like rugby, but I actually learned something today!

Dunno, Ray needs a kick in the backside, complacency has definitely crept in.

I should also say, obviously hope nothing serious has happened in his or Jenny's family to cause his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I was out and about this morning and had a car journey back. I'd usually switch off Today FM in the car at that time, but this morning I can only compare the feeling of hearing Anton to the feeling you'd get in school when those beautiful words "the teacher is out today" were muttered.

The discussion/interview about that horrible case of the lady dying in Galway (?) was conducted excellently. I can only imagine Rays way of dealing with it would have been a rant and series of sighs. He would be saying something along the lines of "this is what is wrong with this country" and a rant about the church.

Anton discussed it. He didn't seem to know a great deal about it, and actually said, I only know what I have read in the papers. He talked about it very calmly and clearly, and Will came in at various points and quoted laws and it was all made very clear. He conducted the interview well.

Will played a big part in the show today. Some funny bits too. Just doesn't happen when Ray is around.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I was out and about this morning and had a car journey back. I'd usually switch off Today FM in the car at that time, but this morning I can only compare the feeling of hearing Anton to the feeling you'd get in school when those beautiful words "the teacher is out today" were muttered.

This is EXACTLY what I just said to my friend here, it feels just like realising the teacher is gone for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Probably something to do with his business dealings perhaps.

WHAT business does he have?

since he was in at the start of the week, i didnt bother turnind it on today, very gutted i didnt. i love anton, and so does his co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

As I have said before Anton comes across as an extremely pleasant and inoffensive individual, however I personally prefer Ray by a mile.In fairness would Anton have got any gig in radio or TV without having the parents he has.
    His presenting style is ok but I personally could not listen to him if he took over the D'Arcy show for good. I would suggest a lot of people on here are so sick of Ray they are just crying out for an alternative however I don't think Anton is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Boss probably told Ray to stay at home, turn on the radio and listen how it should be done.
    (Dustin was so funny saying Ray and his bitch, Jenny) on KC.

JM Skipton wrote: »
    In fairness would Anton have got any gig in radio or TV without having the parents he has.

I don't care what connections he used to get into radio, I'm just glad he did! He's great to listen to.

JM Skipton wrote: »
    As I have said before Anton comes across as an extremely pleasant and inoffensive individual, however I personally prefer Ray by a mile.In fairness would Anton have got any gig in radio or TV without having the parents he has.
    His presenting style is ok but I personally could not listen to him if he took over the D'Arcy show for good. I would suggest a lot of people on here are so sick of Ray they are just crying out for an alternative however I don't think Anton is it.

I'd agree with you here if I'm honest.

I like Anton's style, and think it's a real breath of fresh air when he fills in for D'Arcy, but I'd really wonder how long I'd stay listening to him if he were on five days a week (who knows, I might love it, but I'd be afraid that the same inoffensiveness would get dull after a while).

D'Arcy needs a serious wake up call though. I try to see the best in every radio show (I've even defended Spin SW at times FFS! :P), but it's getting harder and harder to listen to him.

It's not even the technical side of things (I know I post here whenever he messes up the buttons and stuff, but I'd get over that if it weren't for everything else), it's his negative attitude and determination to try and be Gerry Ryan that irritates me most.

I mean, I'm a fairly negative person, so when I listen to the radio I want a bit of escapism most of the time. Alright, have a few serious topics a show, but for the love of god stop these three hour whinge-fests.

D'Arcy has gotten complacent and arrogant because of his high listener figures in my opinion. His interviewing technique is evidence enough of this. Take Anton this morning for example, bare said more than ten words during the piece on that woman in Galway, just let the woman they'd on speak, with a few well placed questions to get more information.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I laughed out loud at Will talking about the safety ads, I remember them clearly but to hear the way he described them was comical.

He can be very funny when he is let off the leash, the nun shouting bah in kids ears ha fair play Will, very enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement