Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nyoms

Horse84 wrote: »
    Bublé came across really well I thought. Liked the way he said Carson and graham norton had a very good technique and let their guests shine while they sat back. I'd like to think it was a dig at ray but nah bublé is too nice for that, right:)???

Probably a dig at the likes of Alan Carr in the UK and Jimmy Fallon types in America maybe? He came across really well today, all around nice guy. Looking forward to seeing him on Graham Norton. I think I'll skip the Saturday night show though, poor guy having to be interviewed by Brendan O'Connor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bublé came across really well I thought. Liked the way he said Carson and graham norton had a very good technique and let their guests shine while they sat back. I'd like to think it was a dig at ray but nah bublé is too nice for that, right:)???

Maybe it was a subtle dig at Ryan Tubridy who interviewed him on the Late Late Show last year.

Perhaps young Bublé knows that Tubs is on air at the same time as Darcy, and meant it as a nod to Darcy.

Although what I have seen of Michael Bublé, he probably just meant it as a compliment to Johnny Carson and Graham Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

When I thought he couldn't annoy me more, he starts munching a chocolate digestive and slurping tea into the microphone. FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

When I thought he couldn't annoy me more, he starts munching a chocolate digestive and slurping tea into the microphone. FFS

Also, he must have done 1000 segments on biscuits by now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

spent 15mins talking to a lady about a seagull and 5mins after trying to give this seagull a name.

IT'S A SEAGULL FFS, NOBODY CARES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I listen to Ian in the morning, had a late start so caught the start of Rays show, first off we got the whole seagull story and everybody is looking at me and then we got the morning moan (newspapers).

Two things that I noticed,

1. he mentioned something about the general public and then felt the need to reasure us that he too was a member of then general public (as opposed to a vet who would know how to treat the seagull ie: leave it there)

2. on reading the headlines (justice done) he then felt the need to explain the pun to us thickos who wouldnt be able to work it out.

seriously up his own arse at this stage.

Changed channels after that, all he does anymore is annoy me in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Shelflife wrote: »

2. on reading the headlines (justice done) he then felt the need to explain the pun to us thickos who wouldnt be able to work it out.

I actually found that really patronising.Was like somthing a teacher would have done in school. Also he read out an advertisment from an post a letter from santa telling kids to put a 55cent stamp on their santa letter and pop in the post box. I thought for a second he was going to have the cop on to call it a publicity stunt but then tells people to get their letters done and post them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

young raymond is in for a shock when the next jnlr's are out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

neris wrote: »
    I actually found that really patronising.Was like somthing a teacher would have done in school. Also he read out an advertisment from an post a letter from santa telling kids to put a 55cent stamp on their santa letter and pop in the post box. I thought for a second he was going to have the cop on to call it a publicity stunt but then tells people to get their letters done and post them

Jaysus... :\

In my day (~12 years ago :P) it was a case of no stamp and the man running the post office would take it out and give it to my parents the next morning...

55cent stamp indeed... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

I listen to Ian in the morning, had a late start so caught the start of Rays show, first off we got the whole seagull story and everybody is looking at me and then we got the morning moan (newspapers).

Two things that I noticed,

1. he mentioned something about the general public and then felt the need to reasure us that he too was a member of then general public (as opposed to a vet who would know how to treat the seagull ie: leave it there)

seriously up his own arse at this stage.

Changed channels after that, all he does anymore is annoy me in the mornings.

Also when David McWilliams was speaking , sorry, trying to speak without the constant interrupting, he was explaining a technical economic term, to which d'arcy immediately interjected, "oh oh stop stop you're losing them now". He wasn't losing anyone, he might've been losing ray if anyone. I actually shouted at the radio at work at that stage.
    Seriously he is getting worse isn't he? He was never this annoying or maybe it's just me, I dunno. I just can't listen to him anymore without getting angry over something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

young raymond is in for a shock when the next jnlr's are out!

Doubt it.

Still no decent competitors out there. Tubridy/Hayes are nothing, Dunne is dying on his arse, and PK is just D'Arcy lite IMO.

Foley might nick a few thousand between 9-10, Hayes might nick a few during 11-12, but I honestly can't seen any significant* changes in his figures.

*Note that significant in this case would be in the region of 15,000 listeners switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

i used to love ray, always fun but that was years ago. first thing that annoyed me was his humming at the end of songs, then he couldnt use the control and after time he used to show no respect for will, mairead or his listeners.
    when anton savage started stepping in, it showed the big gap between a clueless ray and a professional guy like anton, who is fun and has an knowledge of everything.
    his co-presenters are laughing when he's on and a few time i seen mairead use twitter with somewhat comments like 'great day today, antons in' 'freedom today as ray off'.

i tried other stations, 2fm is pants in the morning and others arent great either.
    in a matter of fact im kinda sick of today fm overall now.
    i see myself switching to spin south west (i know) till about rick o shea comes on and then i stick with will leahy. never did i thought id be happy turning on 2fm.

dont know how jenny sticks ray at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

Still no decent competitors out there. Tubridy/Hayes are nothing, Dunne is dying on his arse, and PK is just D'Arcy lite IMO.

Foley might nick a few thousand between 9-10, Hayes might nick a few during 11-12, but I honestly can't seen any significant* changes in his figures.

*Note that significant in this case would be in the region of 15,000 listeners switching off.
    he's had a decrease ...one more is inevitable and will look bad, i flick between them all in the morning, and tubridy is coming out the better lately. I'm not saying tubs is in any way half decent, but he's not acting the dick like ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

It's not just me then :)

It's not just me then :)

I'm really starting to think about leaving Barry Dunne on after Foley finishes at 10, I've been so annoyed with Ray lately*. Talking over Niamh Fitzpatrick and giving the opposite advice to her really bothered me today. TODAY FM HAVE HIRED HER TO DISH OUT THE ADVICE, NOT YOU :mad: You get the rest of the 3 hours to spout off Ray.

*On the 98fm Live Player online

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I actually found myself shouting at the radio "ah come on" at this. If I had just mentioned the pun, fair enough but he kept going on and on to explain it.

What gets me is the really audible *SIGH* before some segment, that immediately sets the mood. He's worse than my granny starting conversations with "do you know who died".

I felt that they should have let Will do the "Where's Grandad?" interview. It felt weird that he was explaining the ads (even though he couldn't remember them) and the conversation (when he wasn't in) last week. Will was genuinely interested in this and all I got out of it was a plug for Hairy Baby. Felt slightly cheated as he started off the interview about the hunt for the ads and then forgot until the end to mention that they hadn't tracked them down yet.

I think the talking over people is probably down to him not wanting to forget a question that might have just popped into his head. Instead of waiting, he just butts in. It's very annoying as it's usually when the other person is saying something really interesting. Even more annoying is when he butts in with his own opinion.

I've found myself changing station when the "stop stop stop eject", "who put that in, that's not what I want to play", "I'll play the rest after the ads", "Kate", "Teddy" or certain songs that he loves to death. I usually end up tuning into Lyric FM more and more especially after his Ask FM rants!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

swiftman wrote: »
    spent 15mins talking to a lady about a seagull and 5mins after trying to give this seagull a name.

IT'S A SEAGULL FFS, NOBODY CARES

My favourite part was when he mentioned running out in traffic and causing a car to have to (his own words) screech to a halt. Nice work Ray, almost cause a road collision for a gull.

Wills rant about judges appointments was amusing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Also, he must have done 1000 segments on biscuits by now. :rolleyes:

Yes that was pretty feeble - although loads of presenters do it. Same applies to curry chips, breakfast rolls, crisps, etc. A real sign of someone grasping at straws not having done any preparation for the program.

My favourite part was when he mentioned running out in traffic and causing a car to have to (his own words) screech to a halt. Nice work Ray, almost cause a road collision for a gull.

Wills rant about judges appointments was amusing though.

I wonder if he had caused an accident, would he be OK with the driver suing him and giving the proceeds to charity? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nyoms

Will's rant was brilliant! :D

I guess at this stage I feel some loyalty towards D'Arcy because I've been listening since the start. He does annoy me a bit lately but I don't see much alternative on other stations at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

There was a Coronas song this morning on the Ray Darcy show....it was an acoustic number, really nice....did anyone who heard it know the name of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Was it this? He plays it a good bit and think I heard it today

Clanket wrote: »
    Was it this? He plays it a good bit and think I heard it today

Thats the one! Thanks - that's my evening booked up learning this

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Did anyone hear the advert for the Ray Darcy show this evening ? A sound bite of Ray talking about the clampers to Conor Pope with dear John music in the background. It was very like an advert for Matt Cooper.

Anyway it looks like internet bullying, suicide, drinking, gambling, mental health the government and dare I say it, the catholic church are going to have to wait because Ray has a new cause to champion.

Clampers your time is up Ray is going to attempt like he has with so many of his other pet hates, to bore ye into submission !!!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I think Mario is getting a lot of inspiration from Ray for his show.
    Last week "Miriam" trying to drag every bit of misery out of an interview and tonight "George Hook" having a relationship/sex therapist on his radio show but constantly offering his own advice instead of listening to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

First time listening to Ray for about 6 months. Actually first time I've listened to the radio in 6 months. It was like I'd never been away though, same old dreary topics: And the news on the hour, right across the board on all channels: Abortion, bailouts, economic doom and gloom. Same old ireland, revelling in misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's an awful scabby idiot. He was complaining Monday morning about being unable to open the battery compartment to a kids toy, but it was purely his own fault because he didn't have the correct screw driver to open it. Started whinging about it and asking why things were closed like that, safety obviously you idiot, and saying they'll have to contact crayola.

So what does any normal father do, pick up the correct tools on the way home from work Monday ? Nope, nothing. He waits until he gets in to work for a load of freebies. So he tries again yesterday with something he got from Specsavers, and then with another on air this morning, coudn't do it, obviously because he had rounded the screw head at this stage.

So time to admit he fecked it up ? Nope, it's crayolas fault and he says he's going to contact them again and still can't grasp the reason why batteries are secured in kids toys with screws. No doutb he's expecting a freebie replacement off Crayola.

Any maybe I'll be proved wrong on this later, but it sounds as if he's going to keep the other free stuff like the toys. With him being such a big preacher I would have thought they'd be donated charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

With Foley on 98fm until 10am I've stopped listening to the first hour.

I use to defend Darcy on here but he's starting to grate with me lately. It's a real shame there's nothing else on between 10am - 12pm worth listening to.

Clanket wrote: »
    With Foley on 98fm until 10am I've stopped listening to the first hour.

I use to defend Darcy on here but he's starting to grate with me lately. It's a real shame there's nothing else on between 10am - 12pm worth listening to.

^^^This. +1.

I used to defend him, couldn't understand why people would hate him, he was a big part of my childhood on The Den after all.

But now... jaysus, I have Foley on till 10 and I can almost hear my computer sigh when put on Today FM at 10!

• Advertisement

I don't listen to him regularly but every now and again I dip in for a while...I don't get the majority of dislike toward him on this thread? It is light entertainment which focuses on real world topics when necessary. He has his opinions as does every radio presenter

He seems like a likeable guy who loves his job....what am I missing?

EDIT - By the way, I really enjoyed when Anton Savage filled in for him a while back there..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement