Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't listen to him regularly but every now and again I dip in for a while...I don't get the majority of dislike toward him on this thread? It is light entertainment which focuses on real world topics when necessary. He has his opinions as does every radio presenter

He seems like a likeable guy who loves his job....what am I missing?

EDIT - By the way, I really enjoyed when Anton Savage filled in for him a while back there..

I think it's that you don't listen every day tbh.

I imagine if I only tuned in on Fridays, or sporadically once a week, I wouldn't get the criticism either.

But when you listen day-in-day-out for any extended period of time the man gets infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I don't listen to him regularly but every now and again I dip in for a while...I don't get the majority of dislike toward him on this thread? It is light entertainment which focuses on real world topics when necessary. He has his opinions as does every radio presenter

He seems like a likeable guy who loves his job....what am I missing?

EDIT - By the way, I really enjoyed when Anton Savage filled in for him a while back there..

That's the problem that most level-headed criticisms have of the show here. It's now more doom and gloom with the odd bit of light entertainment. It is sob story after sob story, with Ray getting on his high horse and crusading against things without ever really fully knowing the facts.

I still have hope for the show, like I said, I've always had a fondness for Ray from The Den days, and sometimes I can laugh at how bull-headed he is and obviously Will and Mairead can be good and coming up to Christmas is usually a good time for the show, so we'll see.

My New Years resolution might be to find a new show to listen to until 12 :p

Edit: Just put Ray on and he's talking about someone being wrongly imprisoned (death row) and it being an 'indictment on our justice system'. SIIIIGGGGGGHHHHH. Obviously the guy didn't die, but c'mon... point proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I actually quiet enjoyed the Pringle interview, Didn't realise someone could be sentenced to death in Ireland in 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Clanket wrote: »
    Was it this? He plays it a good bit and think I heard it today

that is f**ing horrendous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

In your opinion. I think it's a great song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness, it's getting increasing difficult to defend his constant whinging. The radio does on in work but I manage to just zone out most of the time.

Heard him arguing with some kids yesterday over raising their political concerns. He's just a big grumpy moan at this stage. He moans when people don't do anything, and he moans when people do something.

Olly Murs was a good guest, I'm not keen on all the 'I love you Ireland' stuff, but other than that he was great. :)

Or should I say, Olly Moores Mairead! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Olly '9 times 12 is 108, so ... ' (when talking about how many X Factor finalists there have been)

Ray 'No it isn't, it's 96. Isn't it - eh add the 1 and, I'm no good at Maths'

You are also no good at interviewing, Ray. No research done (Deal or No Deal) and constantly interrupting for no good reason.

But Olly was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Olly Murs was a good guest, I'm not keen on all the 'I love you Ireland' stuff, :p

A few years back he'd a one on from emmerdale or eastenders who waffled on with the' I love you oirish' stuff and he pulled her up on it! While he was correct it was awful radio and mairead corrected him afterwards. He must've learned his lesson. Poor woman didn't know what hit her-expecting the whole 'light entertainment' type interview:D

Skid wrote: »
    Olly '9 times 12 is 108, so ... ' (when talking about how many X Factor finalists there have been)

Ray 'No it isn't, it's 96. Isn't it - eh add the 1 and, I'm no good at Maths'

You are also no good at interviewing, Ray. No research done (Deal or No Deal) and constantly interrupting for no good reason.

But Olly was great.

Ha ha, yeah, I also laughed when Ray says it's great news that Olly is supporting Robbie Williams next year and Olly says its been a great week for him overall... and Ray says why's that?

Just the small matter of Olly's own tour tickets going on sale... and the album launch... oh, and the number one single! Lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

That band are f**ing horrendous.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Each to their own. A bit of a wild accusation saying they're horrendous.

Give us an example of your type of music.

Oh please let's not get into a "personal taste" debate...

I've been reading the Big Bang Theory thread in AH, so please no more... :(

:pac: :pac:

Your 100% right. I was gonna laugh at their taste no matter what they said :pac:

I just hate people posting wild statements like above as though they're some sort of authority.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I've been reading the Big Bang Theory thread in AH, so please no more... :(

AH - like being in a room with a bunch of people just shouting at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Clanket wrote: »
    Your 100% right. I was gonna laugh at their taste no matter what they said :pac:

I just hate people posting wild statements like above as though they're some sort of authority.

Wow, touchy. :p

I think they're an awful band and I'm entitled to my opinion. :)
    'Cause we sleep all day and we drink all night
    We are not wasting our time,
    We refuse to hide, we're going out tonight oh oh

Lyrical genius. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm not a fan of them, but really like that song. Didnt think I would because I cant the rest of their stuff.

I'm not their biggest fan either, but I really like some of their newer stuff. Kind of a more "indie" (for complete lack of a better word) vibe to it. But that's just IMO.

Crap, we're getting into music...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

el diablo wrote: »
    That band are f**ing horrendous.

Agreed. The tunes Ray plays are shocking. Part of the reason why I like when Anton fills in, he always plays stuff the other stations wont/cant/refuse to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

el diablo wrote: »
    Wow, touchy. :p

I think they're an awful band and I'm entitled to my opinion. :)

Lyrical genius. :D

Geez they are woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

On another note did Ray figure out how to remove the batteries from his kids toy that had me on the edge of my seat this morning? I had to switch off because the tension was too much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

pookiesboo wrote: »
    On another note did Ray figure out how to remove the batteries from his kids toy that had me on the edge of my seat this morning? I had to switch off because the tension was too much

No he didnt. He had to get a man off the street into do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

He's blaming his technical inability this morning on how he only got 3 hours sleep last night. Noone cares!! You're meant to be a professional, do your job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

he didnt like that text that the people who pay so much for ivf are desperate. you can have an opinion in rays world. it just has to be the same as his

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

Does anyone know the process for nominating someone for the big christmas thank you? I'm at work and was only half listening??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

tunguska wrote: »
    Agreed. The tunes Ray plays are shocking. Part of the reason why I like when Anton fills in, he always plays stuff the other stations wont/cant/refuse to play.

At this stage, and I am genuinely not trying to be smart, can we just set up an Anton appreciation thread(if it has not been done already) where everyone can post their positive comments about him.I get it!! everyone thinks Anton is better than Ray:( I cannot believe I am so out of sync with most of the contributors here, Anton drives me demented

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

I thought he was so rude to the caller Mairead this morning.
    And then he read out texts from listeners about how 'long-winded' her Cleopatra story was.
    So disrespectful.
    I think it's a poor reflection on his listeners if they find humour in that sort of disrespect.

trinz23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the process for nominating someone for the big christmas thank you? I'm at work and was only half listening??

Think the the address to email was thankyou@todayfm.com , but I'm not 100%. sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Ray was late into the 11am news this morning (the "It's almost 11 o'clock..." ad came on at 11.01 and Sinéad Spain never clarified) and late finishing, meaning KC was late starting. I like Declan O'Rourke so I didn't mind that too much, but didn't Ray complain lately when Ian finished late and it had a knock-on effect on his start?

Also, he played Heart On My Sleeve by Olly Murs instead of Heart Skips A Beat.

And Mairéad was very annoying today. Like a child she demanded that a Christmas song be played even though it's still November, and then, when there was a vote and the 'yes' side won by nine votes she celebrated as if she had won the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

I thought he was so rude to the caller Mairead this morning.
    And then he read out texts from listeners about how 'long-winded' her Cleopatra story was.
    So disrespectful.
    I think it's a poor reflection on his listeners if they find humour in that sort of disrespect.
    Yep I agree and he was all over the place interviewing Greg Davies, seems like as long as they are amusing themselves in the studio they could not give a damn about producing a decent radio show. I sent in a long text with the issues that I feel they should have a look at, I very much doubt that they will give it any thought though. The only thing that will make them cop on is a decline in listenership figures, so hopefully the next set of JNLRs will give them a kick in the ass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement