Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Have to agree, I have no idea who the guy is but he sounded friendly and engaging. Ray on the other hand was so dismissive of him it bordered on passive aggressive, and then at the end he goes to town on the texts...Brax is my no strings, oh Brax I sooooo would, six foot eight trucker here and if Brax was a bike I would ride him to work etc etc etc. I find the texts the most cringe worthy and when he says "do ya know what a no strings is?" I want to stick my head in a blender........or his:)

Ha, I was attempting to articulate a similar thought but kept getting angry thinking of all those sad, fat, frumpy workshy HR bints sweatily hammering out a text as their gussets progressively moisten at the sound of an Ozzie accent.

"Well you know Ray after my nightclub tour I'm doing a series of university lectures to put forward my hypothesis on the psyche's eternal struggle between the id and the superego"
    "Yeayeayea oh I have one in from Catríona in Laois, "I wish I was Brax's surfboard, he could wax me up, get on top of me and end up showering me in foam" hahaha *quintessential D'arcy post-laugh intake of breath* whaddaya think of that, Bran?"
    *5 second delay* (aka the poor man's disbelief)
    "Uhh thanks, Ray."
    "I have two children did I mention that?"
    *click*

I wonder what'll happen when darling Kate learns to text and he has One Direction or whomever on for an interview of similar substance, cue a spluttered "No no no, can't read that out, what are you at giving me that, Will", followed up by a several month long puritanical crusade to stop texts of this nature from destroying the very fabric of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

It's hard to blame the guy for having no interest in some z list Australian on a nightclub tour of all things, especially since most of the chap's sloppy crotched fans would have been in school at the time of broadcast but, yeah, he should at least make an effort with whatever guests he has on.

Ray is probably just too old for this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Chauncey wrote: »
    It's hard to blame the guy for having no interest in some z list Australian on a nightclub tour of all things, especially since most of the chap's sloppy crotched fans would have been in school at the time of broadcast but, yeah, he should at least make an effort with whatever guests he has on.

Then why did he agree to do the interview? Surely someone else on Today FM could have done it?

I doubt he is forced to do interviews with certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

To be fair they should at the very least all be afforded the same amount of respect, can you imagine if during the Daniel Day Lewis interview Ray kept calling him Christy.

Its the little things like this that sometimes make Ray come across as up his own hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

...can you imagine if during the Daniel Day Lewis interview Ray kept calling him Christy.
    That'd be quite funny actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

This morning Ray alluded to something he heard a bishop say on Morning Ireland. Nice to see he's being loyal to his employers...I don't think Ian Dempsey will be too impressed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Agree with above, couldn't believe the bloke was coming over for a night club tour.Ray even asked him what he would do in the night clubs sign t-shirts etc made it sound even more ridiculous,Reminds me of an episode of the office where David Brent was doing night club tours:D Ray obviously had no input into his guest selection on this occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Agree with above, couldn't believe the bloke was coming over for a night club tour.Ray even asked him what he would do in the night clubs sign t-shirts etc made it sound even more ridiculous

In fairness, the guy is crazy popular with literally every female I know. What else could he come over for? Irish backpackers flock to the set of Home and Away in Australia to meet him. The demand was obviously there to bring him over, and what could have been a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek interview became uncomfortable and unprofessional.
    Ray obviously had no input into his guest selection on this occasion.

Doesn't mean he can be condescending and rude. At the very least, he could have called him by his actual name at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Jason Todd wrote: »
    In fairness, the guy is crazy popular with literally every female I know. What else could he come over for? Irish backpackers flock to the set of Home and Away in Australia to meet him. The demand was obviously there to bring him over, and what could have been a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek interview became uncomfortable and unprofessional.

Doesn't mean he can be condescending and rude. At the very least, he could have called him by his actual name at all times.

In an ideal world you are indeed right, however I have to admit there was a part of me that felt glad that Ray was treating him with the disdain that he deserved! Sorry I'm a bad person

In an ideal world you are indeed right, however I have to admit there was a part of me that felt glad that Ray was treating him with the disdain that he deserved! Sorry I'm a bad person

Tut tut <Sigh> I dunno.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Is he actually serious... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

I totally agree with you! I didn't want to come and have a go because I didn't hear the full interview, but caught the last 2 minutes and found him so rude that it bordered on hostile. And the fact he kept calling him Brax was a little disrespectful to the point where I thought there might have been a row earlier in the interview, but there wasn't. The simple fact of the matter was that Ray had zero interest in the subject matter so he didn't give a shït and as a result the interview was unprofessional and unenjoyable as a result. Pathetic. Even after Will told him that Home and Away was a huge ratings winner for RTE2, he couldn't have cared less.

Felt sorry for the Steve lad and the missus was so excited to hear him on Irish radio but even she said that Ray made the nightclub tour seem cheap and pointless. I'm just about sticking the show as I only hear less than 2 hours nowadays.

sounds just like a trademark Ray interview then! Oh and did he finish up by commenting that he was hard to interview? :D

LLU wrote: »
    sounds just like a trademark Ray interview then! Oh and did he finish up by commenting that he was hard to interview? :D

I don't think so, but he did get in a mention of Kate aaaanndd finished the interview with Domhnall Gleeson today by asking him did he call his mother Mum or Mam, because Ray and Jenny had a difference of opinion on what they wanted Kate and Tom calling Jenny and as a result Ray was now calling his own Mam 'Mum' because Jenny preferred that...

...he knows what he's doing, the WUM :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Then why did he agree to do the interview? Surely someone else on Today FM could have done it?

This tbh.

I'm a massive H+A fan (for my sins :o), but it's demographic is primarily teens and young adults, which couldn't be further from the style of D'Arcy's show.

Why not give that interview to KC (Christ knows he's doing enough interviews :rolleyes:). Or even better, give it to whoever is doing the 7-9 slot these days (they've been flitting back and forth so much I can't keep track :pac:).

Enjoyed the Donal Gleeson interview this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

He has an insistence on asking anyone who comes within a certain radius of him "what height are you?"

Its bordering on bizarre. Get over it Ray, you will never be 6 foot.

His show has become so popular that Ray thinks people tune in to listen to whatever he does, rather than the actual content (interviews etc).

Its just one big ego trip at this stage. As someone on here said before, Ray is the classic case of a bloke who in his own head, is the smartest man in the room. Nothing wrong with someone not being Einstein level, but its extremely annoying when someone thinks they are on that level when they are clearly many levels below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Jayob10 wrote: »
    He has an insistence on asking anyone who comes within a certain radius of him "what height are you?"

"What height are you?"
    "How much do you earn for that?"
    "How many kids have you got?"

He should just write these on cards and shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Have to say, I really enjoyed Daniel's interview. The man is quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mountain

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This tbh.

I'm a massive H+A fan (for my sins :o), but it's demographic is primarily teens and young adults, which couldn't be further from the style of D'Arcy's show.

Why not give that interview to KC (Christ knows he's doing enough interviews :rolleyes:). Or even better, give it to whoever is doing the 7-9 slot these days (they've been flitting back and forth so much I can't keep track :pac:).

Enjoyed the Donal Gleeson interview this morning.

Given the amount of interviews that he does, i wonder is "grabbing" everyone that he can get, some of the interviews he has done he has shown little or no interest in them, maybe he is doing them, just to stop others from doing them?

wyrn wrote: »
    Have to say, I really enjoyed Daniel's interview. The man is quite funny

Yeah, he has a dry sense of wit alright. Couldn't believe they were talking about the restaurant story again though, jays us... every time he is on they bring it up. He's a total pro though is wee Daniel, when Ray asked him to record the message, he did it without missing a beat and didn't fluff one line off the top of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I don't think so, but he did get in a mention of Kate aaaanndd finished the interview with Domhnall Gleeson today by asking him did he call his mother Mum or Mam, because Ray and Jenny had a difference of opinion on what they wanted Kate and Tom calling Jenny and as a result Ray was now calling his own Mam 'Mum' because Jenny preferred that...

...he knows what he's doing, the WUM :pac:

Think Jenny actually insists Kate calls her MUMMY complete with marbles in her mouth. Going to be one posh kid.
    Hope he comes a cropper on the segway tomorrow morning, he was afraid of his sh1te today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is the child who gives the clues on the radio his child? I thought she was called Kate?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

gnfnrhead wrote: »

He's got to have someone on the show, right, right?

Anyway, I doubt the great and the good are beating a path to the Today FM studios, hence you get Home & Away guy and his ilk on the show most days instead of someone with something worthwhile to say.
    There again, if people wanted to hear stuff like that D'Arcy wouldn't be on the radio in the first place.
    To be fair they should at the very least all be afforded the same amount of respect, can you imagine if during the Daniel Day Lewis interview Ray kept calling him Christy.

Its the little things like this that sometimes make Ray come across as up his own hole.

Yeah, they should, but... Ray's poor attitude strikes again and another dismal interview is born!
    He really should try to remember that his own show is low end toss, too, and adjust his mindset accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Jayob10 wrote: »

His show has become so popular that Ray thinks people tune in to listen to whatever he does, rather than the actual content (interviews etc).

Its just one big ego trip at this stage. As someone on here said before, Ray is the classic case of a bloke who in his own head, is the smartest man in the room. Nothing wrong with someone not being Einstein level, but its extremely annoying when someone thinks they are on that level when they are clearly many levels below.

I tuned in for about 5 minutes one of the day last week (big mistake) and he was interviewing an Irish guy who played and orc in The Hobbit

I had a giggle when ray brought up the guys height but as the guy is well over 6 foot it was a reasonable question when the movie is populated with dwarves

but next Ray starts slagging off James Nesbitt's height and if the stats online are in anyways accurate (even allowing for the general extra 2 inches in height that get added to most actors bio) then Nesbitt is taller than Ray

it is an obsession with him at this stage

think I will stick to just reading this thread as it is more entertaining and less infuriating than the show

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Ray was caught in the middle when going through the papers this morning, the bishops versus Enda Kenny, as he hates both groups. Just about sided with EK as a letter in one paper was a personal attack on him

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Sully wrote: »
    Is the child who gives the clues on the radio his child? I thought she was called Kate?

i think they get Mairead's kid to do some of them also.

Paracore wrote: »
    It's not Rays fault your life is ****.

It is between 9am and 12 Monday to Friday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

BPKS wrote: »
    He told it this morning:D

I also hear he is doing the school around the corner which will air over Christmas.

This is the way I can see it going:

Ray: Hello Tommy, how old are you?

Tommy: 6

Ray: I have a six year old daughter Kate. She says the funniest things........................................................................

[4 minutes later of Ray talking about his kids]

Ray: Well thank you Tommy and have a happy Christmas.

Burst laughing when i read this, so funny cause its true :pac::pac::pac:

Missed Ray on school around the corner today, but caught the end of it and must say, Paddy Crosby was the personification of professional presenter, what a class act they really don't make them like him anymore. The kids back then seemed far more educated than today too, god I sound like Ray myself now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Missed Ray on school around the corner today, but caught the end of it and must say, Paddy Crosby was the personification of professional presenter, what a class act they really don't make them like him anymore. The kids back then seemed far more educated than today too, god I sound like Ray myself now :P

He's on with it on Christmas Day too, because that's what the world needs, Ray D'Arcy and children annoying us on Christmas Day! Will be avoiding that like the plague anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just saw a clip for school around the corner. Even on that ray is asking about money

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement