Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

The crisps piece ... does he HAVE to crunch them into the microphone?? Reminds me of how G Ryan used to eat/slurp/drink on air through the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Does darcy not test crisps at least once a year? Havent listened to him since b4 xmas & going to try keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Think people are taking things too seriously he is always going to have a mixture of silly topics throughout the year (some which I find mildly irritating) but that is the show and as yet I have not come across a better alternative from 9-12 on Irish radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Think people are taking things too seriously he is always going to have a mixture of silly topics throughout the year (some which I find mildly irritating) but that is the show and as yet I have not come across a better alternative from 9-12 on Irish radio.

I agree to a certain point, there isn't much else on, and I'll admit to calling for him to be more 'light-entertainment'... but munching and drinking on the radio!

It's a no-no, whether it's for a piece or not! Another example of his lack of self-awareness I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

as yet I have not come across a better alternative from 9-12 on Irish radio.

That's the crux of it. If there was an alternative I'd be over in a shot but there's not. At least Foley is on 98fm until 10am these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

I had to laugh yesterday when the woman who had been on on Tuesday after finding the sum of money emailed in with the news that the bank knew whose money it was.

She had written in the email, "because I know you're a nosy fecker I'll tell you that the amount was €400," and Ray defended it by saying he was curious rather than nosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

This may have been mentioned before, but I'll say it again...there is a difference between interviewing & presenting. Ray may be a good presenter but his interview skills are woeful when he doesn't get the information he wants or an interviewee doesn't warm to him - he seems to get stroppy & rather than dropping something, he probes further.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Switched on today and everything seemed a little awkward, I take it he just "interviewed" someone?

Excellent interview with David Walsh on now and interruption free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I had to laugh yesterday when the woman who had been on on Tuesday after finding the sum of money emailed in with the news that the bank knew whose money it was.

She had written in the email, "because I know you're a nosy fecker I'll tell you that the amount was €400," and Ray defended it by saying he was curious rather than nosy.

when she was on telling her story he kept asking and asking and asking how much it was. why she simply couldnt say to him "If i tell you then that means anyone can claim its theres ya stupid idiot"

guess thats why she said it when it was sorted out.

I have given up on him, it seems that he has cornered the market in sad/tragic family stories these days which he seems to want to broadcast between 9 and 10.00 on my way to work. Apart from the fact that too many of them are depressing is the fact that my cat has more emphathy. I'm, as they say, out.

• Advertisement

In the Walsh interview Darcy said how he cried at the end of the book. He's also cried on air a few times over the last month or so.

I'm all for people being in touch with their emotions, but he's taking it to a whole new level :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Excellent interview with David Walsh on now and interruption free

Would disagree, brings up someone with a dog called Lance, and his final question was to ask why Armstrong never tested positive, something that has long since been disproved. Maybe if he stopped crying and wiped his tears away he would have realised this, I'm sure Walsh would have mentioned it in his book.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Would disagree, brings up someone with a dog called Lance, and his final question was to ask why Armstrong never tested positive, something that has long since been disproved. Maybe if he stopped crying and wiped his tears away he would have realised this, I'm sure Walsh would have mentioned it in his book.

Excellent interview overall because Ray let him talk, regarding the dog thing Walsh has been tweeting about this the last few days so it was topical, the positive drug part was the one bit that let Ray down but he brought that up after my original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So basically what was excellent about the piece was David Walsh. Ray being quiet added to the enjoyment, and when he did ask a relevant question he fluffed it up.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So basically what was excellent about the piece was David Walsh. Ray being quiet added to the enjoyment, and when he did ask a relevant question he fluffed it up.

You cannot really win on this thread, if he talks too much everyone is on complaining about his interview technique and his interruptions whereas if he sits back and asks a number of relevant questions and lets the guest talk he is still a crap interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You cannot really win on this thread, if he talks too much everyone is on complaining about his interview technique and his interruptions whereas if he sits back and asks a number of relevant questions and lets the guest talk he is still a crap interviewer.
    that's not what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Apart form the dog named Lance incident D'arcy squandered another couple of minutes of the interview discussing some film where a newsreader had an earpiece. David Walsh is an excellent guest and saved the interview from being a disaster.

He had the two lads from IT Tralee who dubbed Pulp Fiction on as well today. He played the clip from Graham Norton but couldn't hear the bit at the end where Norton said "Pulp O'Fiction" and asked the lads what was said.

Then his response was a sniffy, "Oh yeah because if you put an 'O' in front of something it sounds Irish, the audience laughed anyway so that was obviously the main thing." First of all, everyone else who heard the joke got it without needing to explain it, secondly I'm sure he has made light-hearted funny references to other nationalities, and thirdly, the man making the joke was Irish himself.

Ray then accidentally started playing I'll Be There For You by The Rembrandts for a few seconds, stopped it and said, "*sigh*...we'll have to do something. Every morning..." as if it was something outside of his control constantly ruining his day.

Apart form the dog named Lance incident D'arcy squandered another couple of minutes of the interview discussing some film where a newsreader had an earpiece. David Walsh is an excellent guest and saved the interview from being a disaster.

Well I really enjoyed the interview and didn't think it was anything close to a disaster but I suppose it would be very boring if we all agreed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Enjoyed the interview with the innocent smoothie co-founder. Had to laugh at Ray 'apologising' for Will, I didn't think there was a whole lot wrong with Will's questions? Especially found it funny after Ray had pursued a line of questioning about 'lemongrass' instead of wheatgrass. Is he threatened by Will or what?

Why can't I stop listening to this show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Enjoyed the interview with the innocent smoothie co-founder. Had to laugh at Ray 'apologising' for Will, I didn't think there was a whole lot wrong with Will's questions? Especially found it funny after Ray had pursued a line of questioning about 'lemongrass' instead of wheatgrass. Is he threatened by Will or what?

Why can't I stop listening to this show?

What I found funny was Ray apologising for Will saying, "He is like an embarrassing uncle" Ha, pot/kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I like having the jokes and puns explained to me because I am generally too thick to understand them. He possess too sophisticated a sense of humour and wit for me. Maybe I should start listening to 98 or 104 FM

Ray is threatened by Will because Will is far more intelligent, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm not listening as much these days, but I caught the last ten minutes this morning.

Will saying "Do ye do any jam?" made me burst out laughing.

Definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Will is a bit of a tube himself. Read any of his 'articles' in the Sunday Independent to see just what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Will is a bit of a tube himself. Read any of his 'articles' in the Sunday Independent to see just what I mean.
    He got a shot at presenting the show on his own a few years back when Ray was off.

It did not go well and he was pulled after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

padd b1975 wrote: »
    ....he was pulled after a couple of days.

Mairead Farrell eh, you can take the girl out of Finglas.......

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Mairead Farrell eh, you can take the girl out of Finglas.......

Ha Ha good one, its not been a good week for our Mairead her Movie show has been put on the back burner

• Advertisement

Ha Ha good one, its not been a good week for our Mairead her Movie show has been put on the back burner

Didn't see any of them. Was it that bad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement