Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Ray is a dope. up until a year ago you could legally have 2 pints and drive home anyway. Ray made himself out to be a rude prick in my opinion. even if your man HR was a total inbred moron you still should be professional about it. this is my show and ill hang up if i want to.
    And he was completely correct in doing so. It was the professional thing to do & not give that moron anymore airtime. This "yerra, shure you could have 2 pints a few years ago" attitude is stupid & will cause more needless deaths on the road, that's the issue, not whether someone hung up on him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lelantos wrote: »
    And he was completely correct in doing so. It was the professional thing to do & not give that moron anymore airtime.
    Anymore airtime? What?! It was Ray that decided to have him on in the first place! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mountain

Healy Rae may be a fool, but the way that Ray Darcy conducted himself was ignorant and rude, he is becoming more and more full of his own importance.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anymore airtime? What?! It was Ray that decided to have him on in the first place! :rolleyes:
    To see if he could rationally explain his stance. He couldn't, Ray hung up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I caught the "interview", it was amusing to say the least.

First of all may I state that HR talks alot of rubbish and I dont agree with his pov.

Ray invited him on the show, or at least accepted his request to be interviewed, Ray knew what they would be discussing.

Ray decided to be the big man and shove his pov down HR throat, while I agree with his sentiments I dont agree with the way he did it. Either dont give HR pov airtime , but dont invite him onto your show to berate and belittle him and then hang up on him.

Very rude, very ignorant by Ray, smells like a PR stunt to boost his ego.

A bit sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Lelantos wrote: »
    To see if he could rationally explain his stance. He couldn't, Ray hung up ;)
    Was HR even allowed to finish a sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I wonder sometimes is Ray angling to take over the Joe Duffy show.

He was completely unprofessional this morning. Its not hard to make the Healy-Rea's make a fool of themselves, just stay quiet and let them gibber on. HR will actually come out of this ok because of Ray Darcy.

Was HR even allowed to finish a sentence?

Capable of finishing

I missed Gary Irwin's weigh-in.
    How's he doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I missed Gary Irwin's weigh-in.
    How's he doing?

Yeah what happened with him this morning, I missed it and like hearing his updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I haven't listened to Ray in years but happened to tune in this morning and caught the Healy Rea bit. Well done Ray. The whole Healy Rea clan are what the term Gombeen Men was invented for. To hell with being nice to fúcking morons. Ridicule and abuse is what the likes of DHR deserve instead of being paid with taxpayers money to come up with sh!te like drunk driving permits. Pity more people wouldn't treat them the same way.

I can't say I'll be tuning in to Ray again anytime soon but credit to him for bitch slapping that fool.

I wonder sometimes is Ray angling to take over the Joe Duffy show.

He was completely unprofessional this morning. Its not hard to make the Healy-Rea's make a fool of themselves, just stay quiet and let them gibber on. HR will actually come out of this ok because of Ray Darcy.
    Incorrect. Read any other medium outside of this thread & you will see the absolute disgust directed at HR. Darcy will come.out of this smelling of Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ncmc wrote: »
    It’s a sad state of affairs when I’m listening to Cork Red FM rather than that idiot. So long Ray, I’ll really miss your deep sighs, your constant playing the wrong song “eject, eject” and your ability to make an interview with even the funniest comedian an awkward silence filled cringe fest.

I wouldn't say it's a sad state of affairs. Vic Barry is great when he's doing light stuff, really has the craic with segments.

Anyway, cuaght three segments of Ray's show today.

1. Your one on talking about Haughy having the affair, very entertaining and I like listening to her.

2. The "Henry the VIII" gimp getting national airtime again. Pass. Thank god we won't have to hear from him for much longer...

3. The interview with the guy doing the celebrity diving thing was quite interesting and a good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Anywhere I could hear a recording if this interview with Healy Rae?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

EGriff wrote: »
    Anywhere I could hear a recording if this interview with Healy Rae?

Today FM's website in the listen back section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

niamh1975 wrote: »
    Did Ray just hang up on Danny Healy Rae there??

What a surprise. He knows how to pick his battles. It's a bit like walking into a room and picking on the scrawniest weakest least popular kid there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Shame we never never got to hear what height Healy Rae is. Thats usually the first question Ray asks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a sad state of affairs. Vic Barry is great when he's doing light stuff, really has the craic with segments.

Anyway, cuaght three segments of Ray's show today.

1. Your one on talking about Haughy having the affair, very entertaining and I like listening to her.

2. The "Henry the VIII" gimp getting national airtime again. Pass. Thank god we won't have to hear from him for much longer...

3. The interview with the guy doing the celebrity diving thing was quite interesting and a good listen.

Jennifer O'Connell? She's the best segment on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Shame we never never got to hear what height Healy Rae is. Thats usually the first question Ray asks.

And also, Healy-Rae now doesnt know that Ray has a 6 year old daughter cos Ray got angry and hung up the phone before he had to chance to tell Healy-Rae that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

just heard the Healey Rae exchange there. It was actually hard to fathom what was going on, if I had not read the paper i'd not have understood the background to the story, Ray did not give anyone any background before launching into his own personal argument.

What the hell did Darcy have him on the show for at all? Surely if you disagree with the measure then you don't give the muppet the chance to air his views on national radio.

Seems like a sole exercise of inflating Ray's own ego, I'd say he went to the commercial break imagining everyone at home roaring him on.

He has really disappeared up his own arse and its a shame, used to be a terrific show.

The thing about Darcy though, nothing will change in the face of any criticism. He is that self righteous that anything he does is correct. I never hear him read out one negative text about his conduct either, its always something he'll read that will reinforce his own view.

He simply cannot help himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's definitely not what it used to be.

Straight swap with Moncrieff would be perfect. Kick Darcy out to his Newstalk slot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I happily haven't been listening for the past 6 weeks or so, thanks to a change of circumstances affording me the choice.

I heard a "promo" for the Darcy show on Today FM this evening carrying the audio of this interview. For starters I find it incredible that they would use such a bad example of broadcasting/interviewing as the best bit of a 3 hour show to promote it across the station.

I was curious to hear it so had a listen back. Darcy is incredible. He brought the guy on and barely gave him any air time. He just bulldozed his own (loud) rant at him and proceeded to hang up. It was so so planned on his part too.

Fair enough, Healy Rae is suggesting complete nonsense, but that's it. Listening to it, it almost sounds like a complete wind up it's that ridiculous. But I don't care... that is just not the way any interview is conducted. It is NOT about Ray or about his opinion. Fair enough, ask questions that go against what the guy is saying (even if you agree with him). It's your job to extract all the info possible. This craic of a shouting match down the phone is unreal and so unprofessional. It's just not how it's supposed to be..

The guy never should have been invited on in the first place. It's a non story... Heard Matt Cooper talk to him later in the day and there was just nothing to it, as it's so stupid it's not worth wasting anyones energy on!

Although Healy Rae did try and say it may help the suicide situation if it went through. Imagine had he said that to Ray! Ray would have lost the plot altogether,with him being the self appointed ambassador for suicide prevention and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mountain

Ray read out an email this morning from a listener complaining about the manner in which he spoke to Healy Rae yesterday, he smirked at the end of the email, said "you are entitled to your opinion, but in this case you are 100% wrong"

I have never heard someone so full of his own importance, and self righteousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did you hear him mention the case of the Cavan nanny in the U.S?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/i-didnt-kill-baby-says-irish-nanny-of-dead-girl-1-3362576.html

he said something along the lines of it being a tragedy for her!:eek: Then as an aside he said it was also a tragedy for the parents of the dead baby.
    It will be interesting to see how the Irish media treats this story.

mountain wrote: »
    Ray read out an email this morning from a listener complaining about the manner in which he spoke to Healy Rae yesterday, he smirked at the end of the email, said "you are entitled to your opinion, but in this case you are 100% wrong"

I have never heard someone so full of his own importance, and self righteousness.
    I heard that and thought it was a dig at a poster here. He seemed to miss the whole point of the email and even dissed Matt Cooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I heard a "promo" for the Darcy show on Today FM this evening carrying the audio of this interview. For starters I find it incredible that they would use such a bad example of broadcasting/interviewing as the best bit of a 3 hour show to promote it across the station.

I couldn't believe this either. Ray's show is rarely promoted in this way so it goes to show that his production team and the station management think that Ray's unprofessionalism is something to be boasting about..baffling.

I heard both Jonathon Healy on Newstalk Lunchtime and Matt Cooper's items on this issue and they were both able to convey their distain for this nonsence proposal from the Healy Ray gombeen men while remaining professional throughout.

Ray has without doubt disappeared up his own backside but is evidently being assisted on his journey by his unquestioning, sycophantic team and management

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

so long Ray, I have switched to 4 fm when your legendary colleague ian dempsey wraps up. that was the straw that broke the camels back for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I know for a fact Ray reads this thread so all the messages will get through!

Is everyone here sharing the same camel? Time to call the ISPCA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

For a long time now I've been a regular reader of the posts on this forum.
    I've always thought that it was just basically begruggers moaning about Ray for the sake of moaning.
    Anyway, I've been worn down by you. I don't get to listen to Ray all that much nowadays, but I have to say that I agree with the majority of you about his style of broadcasting.

One of the main reasons I started listening to him was because the late G Ryan would prattle on with the papers for a good 20 or 30 minutes at the start of the show. Ray on the other hand would do about 2 minutes and then into some music. Now Ray has turned slowly into G Ryan IMO. He just waffles on and on with the papers for a good 20 minutes, by which time I've lost the will to live. Then we have all the sighs and general 'grumpy old man' stuff before going on about how great his kids/running/cycling/lifestyle is.Then its interview time, and of course nowadays we cannot let anybody answer a question without interrupting them.
    I did like the way the Healy-Ray interview went (he's a Healy-Ray, he deserves it), but not the way it finished. It was poor by any standards.
    It was also the final straw. It will have to be either Lyric or Nova from now on (there's a wide spectrum :rolleyes:)

The bosses at TodayFM will seriously have to take him aside and have a good long chat with him.
    I really only listen to the show now when Anton is filling in, he's far superior.

Rant over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement